Poll: Do you want Player Housing in WoW?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by verylargeprime View Post
    Instanced is one thing. You might want to double check your definition of "isolated" and contrast this with the experience of dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, etc.

There's a difference between organizing or queueing for instanced multiplayer content, and sitting in an instance by yourself doing... What exactly? Like I don't get the appeal.

All's I'm saying is, incentivize players to host events in their housing instances if you want it to not be a garbage feature
    Garrisons did have those pvm raiding attacks.

In the form of a customizable airship that can be moved to different points allowing access to different zones.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, because I don't think the devs can do it well. What I'd like:

A simple thing, build a house where you want it. put crap in it. Get some kind of temporary buff for sleeping in your own house. The end.

What we'd get:

Quests to clear the area of local fauna and collect materials
    Quests to recruit household staff
    You'll invite various faction cognoscenti for tea or lunch only to be attacked by the current expansion protagonists "Champion, they've found us/you!"
    Upgrading your home will require a time sink for some secondary currency that will, naturally, be character specific, because fuck your alts

Basically, a smaller version of the Garrison. I'll pass.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Would I like it? Sure.

Would I use it? Maybe.

Do I think Blizz would invest that kind of resources after 18 years of vehemently saying they would never do it? No.

Honestly though? I'd rather they clean up the Garrison (non-mission table) system and give us something more like "Base Management."
    Source? Cause they have literally never said they WOULD NOT do it, as they have tried multiple times in the past, and have gone on record saying they want to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Icathian View Post
    I really can't understand why some people want player housing so much, specially in 2022's WoW.
    Giving player housing to players and creating these little instanced places where people can stay there with portals and all sorts of crap, and being able to invite others and stuff is pretty much just gonna make WoW feel even more empty than it already is. Player housing can work in other games, but not WoW. We shouldn't keep trying to insert mechanics from other games into WoW, that's the sort of thing that all those WoW clones did and failed.

We need the opposite, we need mechanics that make WoW feel like a WORLD, like a MMORPG, like it used to be. We shouldn't be stuck in tiny little hubs where everything we could possibly do in the game is a blink away from you. It completely destroys the point of having new zones in the game, they're always completely discarded and forgotten as soon as people are done leveling or a new xpac is out.
    There is nothing in WoW that feels as much of an MMO as it feels in FF14 when every night I can go to some crazy player-created event in the player housing where dozens and dozens of people will be congregating to take part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    We already had player housing in WoD, personally I think it hurt the game overall - gatekeeping or hiding behind a shroud just seems like non-mmo feel to me. I guess personally, the people that play the game all the time dont want stuff like this - it's just an idea people think is great until it goes live: then they hate it and a ton of people quit the game over it saying DEAD GAME, NOBODY'S IN MAIN CITIES ANYMORE, QQ - so I personally think player housing is a dogSH1T idea
    Ah, the classic "When wow did it they did it poorly, therefore it can't be done well" thing.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Would I like it? Sure.

Would I use it? Maybe.

Do I think Blizz would invest that kind of resources after 18 years of vehemently saying they would never do it? No.

Honestly though? I'd rather they clean up the Garrison (non-mission table) system and give us something more like "Base Management."
    tbf. we also had 18 years of "Cross faction play will NEVER happen! The divide fundamental to the game!" Well...oops

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    What is anti-social is not giving players a place to be alone if that's what they need to be. A home, a place to call your own, is a basic need. This argument about housing being anti-social in an MMO implies that it's bad to be alone in an MMO and that you should always have someone around. The real-honest-to-fuck truth about this is that people that spend all of their time in housing in an online game are there because they want or need to be. They may very much want to be able to talk with friends, acquaintances, or go out and do social things but they want to do it on their terms not because the game is forever forcing them to be "social" with complete strangers that you've never seen before and likely never will again.
    Yeah and its not like cities make people social anyways. You have what a hundred people just standing near the AH or what ever and maybe 2-3 people in trade chat
    tricked into responding to a troll. That doesn't seem very social to me. Sure you probably have a bunch of people talking in guild chat or whispers but they can also do that in their home.

Also in many of the games with player housing you can invite people to your home and so you often have people in chat wanting to show off what they have built. I remember in Wildstar you would have people wanting to show off what they built all the time or offering to let you on their plot cause they have a minigame you might not have on yours.

Housing also brings new items to gather which in Wow would likely come from crafting, dungeons, and raids. So you have more people interacting to get the items they want either to use or sell.

I'm not sure Blizzard is capable of creating a good housing system in wow though.

WoW has never done player housing before. Just wanna make this clear; Garrisons are not even remotely comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    WoW has never done player housing before. Just wanna make this clear; Garrisons are not even remotely comparable.
    Honestly, I think Blizzard got the wrong lesson from garrisons. They offered a half-measure. The players that want housing rejected it. They took that as them rejecting housing wholesale.

Honestly I'd be fine if they just started by gutting what they had with Garrisons and making it all modular and let players decide how to build our own. Let us have our Legos.

They start small, and grow further with different furniture types you can get from different zones. Have old zones or old reps provide new crafting recipes. Tie it in with materials you have to get from other professions, like wood oils and dyes from Alchemy, nails and iron rods from Blacksmithing, etc. There's a lot of potential here with there being so many different architectural styles and cultures in WoW.

Like, having any reason to interact with the Tuskar, Jinyu, Revantusk and more would be great. This could easily be one of those opportunities, with architecture and furniture being a sufficient link to exploring older content again.

Don't really care either way, it's not something I personally partake in.

Only if its like Wildstar housing used to be. I don't want the garrison again, I want something new and fully customizable. And that.. won't happen.
    f signatures

1+ Year Old Account
    Even if you dislike player housing as a concept, you can't deny that it's a very popular feature among MMO players and it could bring a lot of players into this game. And just for that, it would be worth it imo.

Why not? At least I'm not forced to do it to get stronger.

No.

Not because I think it'd be a poor addition to the game, quite the opposite, I think it'd be awesome, but we'd end up with some awful garrison clone that drains so many resources from the rest of the expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Which really just defeats the purpose imo. Sometimes things can be there to just do. Sadly current blizzard seems to think everything has to in some way tie back to power or raiding.
    True but I can also see it from their perspective not so much in pushing player housing to do this or that but historically speaking player housing just seems to end up as a go nowhere idea in order to either save an aspect of the game or just to become this "i'm super rich, look at me I have 4 accounts and 4 mansions" kind of perspective.

They had player housing back in Dark Ages of Camelot which really helped drive the economy because of merchants you could place on your house but ultimately they changed to more of an Auction house format and player housing just because a place to store your crap like trophies etc. They could tie in archaeology like they did with Garrisons and add to it but it's just, ultimately, fluff that needs to be maintained and served up for Blizzard. If they did some sort of throwback to Garrisons to make old content more relevant with modern patches I would be fully on board with that where you can re-build your Garrison and add new stuff to it but I doubt they will do it tbh.

7+ Year Old Account
    If done well it could add so much to the game but this is Blizzard. They are far to lazy to make something like housing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Okay, but then we had expansions like MoP which gave you a new class, new race, pet battles, brawler's arena, a huge new continent, the farm, two islands with quests and things to do, a bunch of solid well loved loved raids and then suddenly you claim Blizzard to not being able to provide new content that would be on par with the above? Why do people claim getting one thing robs us of another? Blizz has proven they can provide more than one feature in an expansion without the rest being bad. Especially since Blizz claim to have the biggest team ever.

The claim "it will cost us a raid tier" is just so fucking old and tired at this point because it's all up to Blizz what they want to add and they can if they want as MoP and Legion has proved.
    2 points here:

1)
    MoP is looong loooong ago. what about the last 2 xpacs?

2)
    MoP was super nice! at least for me. after the last 2 xpacs, i would die for a MoP-like xpac, tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You know, player housing can be used for socializing, right? And people want to make it their own, not template generic faction base v1.0.

- - - Updated - - -

They already drop so many resources on three other minority groups, why not the rest of the player base?

- - - Updated - - -

By your statement, the poll would have to have A LOT of selection options then, for the OP can't know it, so, you want the poll to be something like

I have a sub, and I want housing at the cost of a raid tier.
    I don't have a sub, and I want housing at the cost of a raid tier.
    I have a sub, and I want housing at the cost of a class.
    I don't have a sub, and I want housing at the cost of a class.

etc etc etc etc etc....

- - - Updated - - -

What? World players already sacrifice for Raid/M+/PvP players, you make it sound like adding housing is a new loss.
    fair points!

btw, offtopic: if they trade their cheap shit treadmill „systems“, like renown or Sanctum Gems or AP or whatever, against player housing, i am all in. i also would welcome player housing more than actual Cipher of the First Ones. if CotFO system, purely designed for open world players, is a design direction, i totally would like a player housing instead of it, in next xpac.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I'm curious, what feature would people rather have?

Island Expeditions?
    Warfronts?
    Torghast?
    Visions of N'zoth?

Are these the bits of content that people would rather have? Housing is permanent, it will take some resources to implement, but after that you can build on it in EVERY expansion by just adding bits here and there. It's has so much more longevity than any of the systems listed above, and it would not just last one expansion.

You can not care, but how many of you really cared about any of the systems they've introduced lately anyway? The game boils down to raiding, PvP and M+ (which I highly doubt would change due to the inclusion of housing...); How much do you really care about the new systems that they add? Exactly what content would you want in its place? 'Anything' isn't an answer, give me an actual idea.

I would take a system that I wasn't huge on but would add to the game over expansions any day, over a system that I probably won't care about that only lasts for one expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Read my post a few up (Posted 11:15).

What exactly do you think we'd lose for Housing? Housing would last forever, not just for one expansion. We would be losing something akin to Torghast or Island Expeditions for it.

Fair enough if you don't care, but I honestly think it's asinine to not see the benefits of housing. Frankly, I stand by what I said; It being a 'waste of resources' isn't relevant. We pay a lot for the game, it's Blizzard's job to make the game good. Just because they want to churn out an expansion every 2 years doesn't mean I should consider that when asking for new content, that's on them. I would rather wait 10 years for the dream expansion than have them rushing them out, but I agree that that's naïve to expect.
    last part:
    yes, thats how it SHOULD be. reality is different. and Blizzards greed and cost effective development is infinite.

first part:
    fair point. totally agree. i would trade shit like Island Expeditions everyday for player housing. problem i see here: they do shit like IE, because its cheap. player housing maybe is not cheap enough. dont know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I'd say that's implied in the question, but I have had to explain that to some who don't seem to understand that Player Housing would come at the cost of other areas of the game suffering.
    fair enough! definetely an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Lol what? Where the hell did you get that from? That is a completly unfounded fear without any reason...

FF14 has housing. It is a huge and loved feature. But that doesn't mean everything else suddenly ignroed.

The game did not cancle content when they introduced Mythic+ which probably still takes huge amount of dev time.

Wow very seldom cut endgame content out of the game. Some get iterated like Magetower visions thorgast but even the mission table *shudder* was kept ingame.
    Have you forgotten WOD already? Garrisons were bare bones and there was almost no other content in that expansion. Now add to that everything you want. That will take far more resources than any of the stuff you brought up.

Get people out in the world. Don't create content that stuffs them by themselves in their own instance. Sims is --> if you want to play house.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Get people out in the world. Don't create content that stuffs them by themselves in their own instance. Sims is --> if you want to play house.
    With how shit wow is now i would much rather play the sims.