Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Enjoyed it, but it was overhyped for me. Pattinson as a batman is alright but I found him very monotone. It was also kind of weird just having him walk around in a suit like it was an ordinary day.

Paul Dano is great and I liked his performance...but to me he didn't feel like the riddle. It felt like a joker/riddler hybrid... they wanted a joker, but didn't want to make it because everything revolves around the joker. So that was kind of weird to me.

I had issues focusing on the movie though, so will give it another chance some other time. I enjoyed it so I don't mind watching it twice.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

no where near as good as the dark knight movies. Pattinson was fine as the batman though, but just not good as Bruce W. The riddler was bad, and the joker or someone would have felt more correct for the path the villain took. Overall just another Ok movie in the Batman movie collection. I still with the Dark knight series would have continued with Robin though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Pattinson as a batman is alright but I found him very monotone.
    he has a stick up his arse for 2 and a half hours. Even in the scenes he wasn't in the batsuit just normal walking around he had 0 charm. Wooden.

I was super hyped for this movie but watched the first half while very tired after a long day.... Ended up falling asleep. Something about it was off for me. Probably had to do with how tired I was and how hard it is for any movie to surpase TDK Trilogy. Gonna rewatch it tonight with a clear head, but Batman Begins remains my favourite Batman film

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    wait this movie was really boring how did any of you actually like it
    I thought it was ok but I think it was too boring for me to want to watch it again. I did not like Robert Pattinson as batman. He played it too emo-ish. I liked the riddler character though.

Good movie overall, but more editing and a shorter run time would've helped a lot. A tighter version of this movie would be awesome.

5+ Year Old Account
    Good that they didn't add leper joker..that was bad..

..The riddler's motivation didn't make any sense at all...

Catwoman too many scenes dragged out the movie, n she does a little woke racism..

Falcone wasn't a good villain..penguin was just ok, nowhere near as good as the one in the tv show gotham..

This movie's penguin felt like some 1930's movie gangster..the way he talks which I can't take serious, due to all the Daffy the duck episodes how Daffy talks..

Cinematography was awesome

Car chase was really good
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-04-26 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    penguin was just ok, nowhere near as good as the one in the tv show gotham..
    I have never met a single human being speak positively of that show. In particular, I have never heard or had a conversation with any fan of the Batman printed work & animated series who was positive on either Penguin or Joker interpretations on that Gotham show.

When I was at a whiskey & barbecue festival a while ago some men were discussing they disliked this Gotham show because they were fans of Batman. One guy had an Art Adams Batman tattoo which he showed us and the conversation veered toward how poor the Penguin and Joker were represented on that show. This stood out in my mind and was brought to the fore based on your comment here. Myself, I saw like 2 episodes of the show while I was getting my hair styled. I didn't really give a shit about the show personally.

I am sure there are fans of this show and Penguin, of course. But even looking at a handful of clips in light of the linked above video; that guy is a bad actor. Sweet mercy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have never met a single human being speak positively of that show. In particular, I have never heard or had a conversation with any fan of the Batman printed work & animated series who was positive on either Penguin or Joker interpretations on that Gotham show.

When I was at a whiskey & barbecue festival a while ago some men were discussing they disliked this Gotham show because they were fans of Batman. One guy had an Art Adams Batman tattoo which he showed us and the conversation veered toward how poor the Penguin and Joker were represented on that show. This stood out in my mind and was brought to the fore based on your comment here. Myself, I saw like 2 episodes of the show while I was getting my hair styled. I didn't really give a shit about the show personally.

I am sure there are fans of this show and Penguin, of course. But even looking at a handful of clips in light of the linked above video; that guy is a bad actor. Sweet mercy.
    Maybe u need to see more episodes (I can't speak for whole show all seasons, I liked season 1)? I really liked that penguin since he seems more genuine of what the character should be.
    I don't care if it breaks with established pengu lore when their idea of penguin is this...

I don't care about entertainment-talibans who like old versions simply cuz of said ent. Is old...I mean remember old fat batman tv show?...anyone who says that show is good is lying to themselves..

I prefer Mamoa Aquaman to blonde copy-paste character npc-face in the old comics..

Or Sam.Jackson's Nick Fury, cuz nick in comics looks exactly like Cable n dozens other characters...same with aquaman in comics that looks exactly like old comics capt.america..
    Chris Evans doesn't look like Cap, which is a good thing, since it would be weird to have many characters portrayed on film wearing same faces..

My list of batman characters whose versions imo were best played by

Robert Pattinson - Batman (does anyone prefer hoarse angry Bale?)
    Robin Taylor - Penguin (I even loved the hair)
    Michelle Pfeiffer - Catwoman (she is a crazed thief ffs, who wants to see mildly troubled woman who steals as a hobby?)
    Heath Ledger - Joker (the king of kings)

Can't think of any other characters that were memorable..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-04-26 at 03:57 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe u need to see more episodes? I really liked that penguin since he seems more genuine of what the character should be.
    I don't care if it breaks with established pengu lore when their idea of penguin is this...

I don't care about entertainment-talibans who like old versions simply cuz of said ent. Is old...I mean remember old fat batman tv show?...anyone who says that show is good is lying to themselves..
    I agree with you.

I loved both cobblepot and velasquez. Especially the later seasons when they fully embrace their roles as pemguin amd joker... my god that laugh is chilling.... it rivals heath's laugh

Maybe u need to see more episodes?
    To what end? I saw about 15 minutes of this person's acting and do not think it is remarkable in any way. A narrative structure and hours of episodes are not going to change his inherent ability to communicate and express himself as an actor.

I don't care about Penguin the character or Gotham enough to invest any more time into it either. However, the actor (whom I am commenting on above) is not particularly good at acting. Looking at his roles previous and the talent he has worked with seems like he is slotted exactly as he should be as an actor.

Again, I don't have anything good or bad to say about Gotham or the character of Penguin. I just never met another human speak positively of either and looking at the actor in the role- without any investment in the material, I would not think that is the appropriate talent for cinema.

The show has a very specific vibe. It's visually dark with almost Adam West levels of comedy, so it's hard to get a good read from clips. But I can see why die-hard fans would have issues with the show. It starts somewhat faithful to the source material and then quickly, abruptly even, throws the canon out of the window. I'd say it's enjoyable as long as you see it as something of a fanfic. An exercise in taking established tropes and characters and building its own thing with pieces from something else.

All the characters are very exaggerated and caricaturesque. That version of Penguin isn't as much of a monster as DeVito or as much of a gangster as Farrell. He's a pathetic sidekick that nobody takes seriously, which he often uses to his advantage. It's at the very least an interesting take on the character. One that works for Gotham, because the whole show is weird and he has a lot of screentime. But I wouldn't say it's a better or worse Penguin, it's just a very different one.

5+ Year Old Account
    To what end? I saw about 15 minutes of this person's acting and do not think it is remarkable in any way. A narrative structure and hours of episodes are not going to change his inherent ability to communicate and express himself as an actor.

I don't care about Penguin the character or Gotham enough to invest any more time into it either. However, the actor (whom I am commenting on above) is not particularly good at acting. Looking at his roles previous and the talent he has worked with seems like he is slotted exactly as he should be as an actor.

Again, I don't have anything good or bad to say about Gotham or the character of Penguin. I just never met another human speak positively of either and looking at the actor in the role- without any investment in the material, I would not think that is the appropriate talent for cinema.
    I haven't seen him anywhere else, I'm not saying he's a good actor or anything, just that he fits the character for a specific show..

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    The show has a very specific vibe.
    Just snipping the post for brevity. Interesting information. I appreciate it.

I am still not interested in watching Gotham. My experience with the show is very limited to whatever was happening years ago in the salon while I was getting shampooed and the dozen or so clips via Youtube. I can't pass judgment on it honestly. Nor am I.

As I said above, the original post simply brought to mind the starkness of the comparison between the Penguin in the two interpretations.

I do find it interesting when cultural artifacts & phenomena have vocal or strong contrast in how audiences receive them. My interest is only in good cinema. I am not a "fan" of things simply because they are things. I am not invested in any particular interpretation of Penguin.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-04-26 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firann View Post
    I agree with you. I loved both cobblepot and velasquez. Especially the later seasons when they fully embrace their roles as pemguin amd joker... my god that laugh is chilling.... it rivals heath's laugh
    Robin Taylor was good. The girl playing Selena wasn't bad. But it helps to me that she was a near ringer for Michelle Pfeiffer.
    But Cameron Monaghan channeling Heath Ledger's "Joker" (Jerone Valeska) was damn good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMr0DqqS9Fc

Probably to no one's surprise, a sequel has been announced with Pattinson and the director/writer returning.

Source

Maybe u need to see more episodes (I can't speak for whole show all seasons, I liked season 1)? I really liked that penguin since he seems more genuine of what the character should be.

I prefer Mamoa Aquaman to blonde copy-paste character npc-face in the old comics..

Or Sam.Jackson's Nick Fury, cuz nick in comics looks exactly like Cable n dozens other characters...same with aquaman in comics that looks exactly like old comics capt.america..
    Chris Evans doesn't look like Cap, which is a good thing, since it would be weird to have many characters portrayed on film wearing same faces..

Michelle Pfeiffer - Catwoman (she is a crazed thief ffs, who wants to see mildly troubled woman who steals as a hobby?)

Cilian Murphy as The Scarecrow?
    Liam Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul?
    Tom Hardy as Bane?
    Aaron Eckhart as Two-Face?

Hell, the entire Nolanverse villains were amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But Cameron Monaghan channeling Heath Ledger's "Joker" (Jerone Valeska) was damn good.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMr0DqqS9Fc
    Truly underrated.

I'm not lying to myself when I say Batman '66 is the best Batman. Also the best Robin. Also the best Joker. And yes I love that Cesar Romero refused to shave his mustache. Its a dude wearing a Bat costume with a utility belt that has everything in it. The only to be serious about it is to not take it serious at all. The one area where '66 was distinctly lacking was a good Alfred. Gotham's Sean Pertwee easily takes the crown as the best Alfred.

SLJ was great as Nick Fury to a point. They never properly developed his character in the movies. I honestly don't think we ever see Nick at his best until What If... came along. As for OG Nick Fury you have it backwards. Everyone looks like him.

Chris Evans looks like Captain America. Almost perfectly. Its a good thing he was good at playing him.

Most of the Gotham villains were pretty memorable but everybody chewed scenery like no tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There was never a Joker in Gotham. I still liked Monaghan's psychotic Cesar Romero impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Paetolus View Post
    Really liked the film and Pattinson does great as Batman, hope his Bruce Wayne becomes a bit less brooding assuming there's a sequel.

Only major complaint I had was with the final act. Kinda ruined the Riddler as a villain imo. The whole movie, he only targets people that he thinks deserve it (his reasons for targeting Bruce were pretty shite, but at least the rest were somewhat understandable), yet that goes completely out the window at the end with his flood plan. It just made him too evil and less interesting as a result. Still really liked everything else though.
    Yeah, it's my big criticism of the movie too. Riddler fails to stick the landing. While he's masked and his motive is unknown he's interesting. But no disrespect towards Paul Dano, but his one unmasked scene had him act pretty hammy TBH, and then his plan is just... evil. Snipe the up-and-coming Mayor (ok) then flood the entire city(wat) then have his goons slaughter everyone on sight (wtf). It's such an over the top, pointlessly eeeevil thing to do, just so that the audience can't root for him.

I do think it makes a good setup for sequels. With existing power structures in Gotham all but shattered and the city so wounded, there's a treasure trove of stories to tell, sidekicks to rise up and villains to cause trouble. But as a plot point in the movie itself it sucks.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Yeah, it's my big criticism of the movie too. Riddler fails to stick the landing. While he's masked and his motive is unknown he's interesting. But no disrespect towards Paul Dano, but his one unmasked scene had him act pretty hammy TBH, and then his plan is just... evil. Snipe the up-and-coming Mayor (ok) then flood the entire city(wat) then have his goons slaughter everyone on sight (wtf). It's such an over the top, pointlessly eeeevil thing to do, just so that the audience can't root for him.

I do think it makes a good setup for sequels. With existing power structures in Gotham all but shattered and the city so wounded, there's a treasure trove of stories to tell, sidekicks to rise up and villains to cause trouble. But as a plot point in the movie itself it sucks.
    Riddler is evil. He did nothing at all from his first scene to last admirable or respectable. The first time we see him he commits a brutal murder. Literally the first thing he does in the film. It would not be sensible storytelling or narratively correct to have a plot that garnered sympathy for Riddler.

The "evil" of his plan is narratively consistent.