Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It absolutely should make sense lorewise.

The lore is far from dead, full stop. The fact this thread is several pages long speaks to the fact people care about the lore but don't want to admit it LOL.

Everyone getting Priest, Rogue and Mage is easy to explain. Hell, they hand-waved Dwarf and Orc Mages by simply saying someone decided to take the time to sit down and study the Arcane. Human and Forsaken Undead in Cata required no explaination. Neither did every race getting the Warrior class.

NELF Mages in Cata required lore justification for obvious reasons. So did Tauren Priests and Paladins. As others said, Lorewise Tauren Priests and Paladins use Sun Magic but in-game they are Paladins.

The Tauren/HM Tauren and Draenei/LF Draenei are both known for their morality but we've seen shifts in that regard over time. Especially with the Draenei. Velen became friends with Illidan during Legion after all. So, Tauren and Draenei Rogues isn't a stretch.

Draenei/LF Draenei WARLOCKS, on the other hand would be interesting to explain. I mean Draenei have a severe allergy to Fel Magic that deforms their bodies and minds while LF Draenei would probably purify Fel Magic without trying. The only way I can see this working without heavy Retconning is saying during the Argus Campaign, some Eredar Warlocks secretly defected from the Legion and surrendered to the Legionfall. After Sargeras was dealt with, these defectors were secretly moved to Outland just before the Fourth War broke out and forgotten about for a while.

Tauren/HM Tauren Warlocks can be explained as having voluntarily foresaken their cultural beliefs in the pursuit of knowlede knowing their would be considered pariahs by their kinfolk.

Night Elf Warlocks can be explained the same as NELF Mages: A breakaway faction that lived in hiding.

Human Shaman...hmm, only if Orcs get Pallys. Then we'll talk =D
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    It absolutely should make sense lorewise.

The lore is far from dead, full stop. The fact this thread is several pages long speaks to the fact people care about the lore but don't want to admit it LOL.

Everyone getting Priest, Rogue and Mage is easy to explain. Hell, they hand-waved Dwarf and Orc Mages by simply saying someone decided to take the time to sit down and study the Arcane. Human and Forsaken Undead in Cata required no explaination. Neither did every race getting the Warrior class.

NELF Mages in Cata required lore justification for obvious reasons. So did Tauren Priests and Paladins. As others said, Lorewise Tauren Priests and Paladins use Sun Magic but in-game they are Paladins.

The Tauren/HM Tauren and Draenei/LF Draenei are both known for their morality but we've seen shifts in that regard over time. Especially with the Draenei. Velen became friends with Illidan during Legion after all. So, Tauren and Draenei Rogues isn't a stretch.

Draenei/LF Draenei WARLOCKS, on the other hand would be interesting to explain. I mean Draenei have a severe allergy to Fel Magic that deforms their bodies and minds while LF Draenei would probably purify Fel Magic without trying. The only way I can see this working without heavy Retconning is saying during the Argus Campaign, some Eredar Warlocks secretly defected from the Legion and surrendered to the Legionfall. After Sargeras was dealt with, these defectors were secretly moved to Outland just before the Fourth War broke out and forgotten about for a while.

Tauren/HM Tauren Warlocks can be explained as having voluntarily foresaken their cultural beliefs in the pursuit of knowlede knowing their would be considered pariahs by their kinfolk.

Night Elf Warlocks can be explained the same as NELF Mages: A breakaway faction that lived in hiding.

Human Shaman...hmm, only if Orcs get Pallys. Then we'll talk =D
    Lightforged should have been Reformed Man'ari Eredar from the start. With customization options that reflect that. Crazy how we got Lightforged Dreadlords and a glimpse at a Lightforged Illidan but we miss the chance to see the result of Lightforged Eredar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you feel void elf monks make both worse? The monks on Pandaria were adept at battling sha influence, so it stands to reason that their training would be effective in helping the void elves resist the energy now struggling to overcome their bodies. I get night elf mages given the cultural ban on magic, and orc warlocks undermine the end of the WC3 original orc campaign, but personally I thought the void elf monk was fairly fitting (certainly the most of the three tank/healer/dps classes, though I guess that would balance against the goblins if they lacked any of them).

Regarding everything equating to nothing, have blood elves, trolls (x2), and dwarves (x2) suffered for their wide class selection? None of them made your post, and they're the five races who can be the most classes. While I do think the dwarves in particular suffer from being a joke race (only really brought out when brew's involved or for a Nesingwary gag), that has almost nothing to do with their classes.
    Because chi and the void (i.e sha) were manifestly opposed and void elves are partly made of void. Their mentality might carry over, but we've previously seen opposing powers blast apart on connection. By making the two compatible it undermines both powers. Chi and monks in general are based around self-control, dispassion etc. whereas the void is based around the opposite. Orcish warlocks as an underbelly are generally fine and are actually treated sensibly. There's an extreme cultural taboo in the base game, where they're in RFC and escalating then in Cataclysm up to Mists. It's made very clear they're treated as a fringe, disliked element tolerated by Thrall only to keep others like them under control and by Garrosh only temporarily.

As regards class variety, what makes the Zandalari and Dwarves work where Night Elves fail is because of the breadth of lore to these races. It's the same reason why the Order halls are the worst for them. Trolls have the most deep and varied class lore out of any playable race, with almost no class being just a generic warrior or priest in terms of being a human palette swap. Zandalari class-exclusive lore dates back to Vanilla and has only been expanded further in variety over in BFA. Ditto, while you can conceivably play any class as any customization of Dwarf, there's clear cultural connections, Wildhammer as shamans 4. eg. much like how while you can play a Mag'har or undead holy priest, the lore shorthand is for void. If the same attitude is taken to other race-class combinations, then there's no issue, but I sincerely doubt that'll happen and there's things that simply can't work without diminishing strict elements of the race.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

I want it to be open more than it is, but I don't want every class available to every race.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Do me a favor... Go floy over the Black Temple in Outland. Specifically the south terraces. Tell me, what do you see? Night Elves and High Elves training a DHs. No Orcs, no Tauren, no Gnomes, no Humans, no Trolls, no Goblins, no Kul'Tirans, etc. Just elves.
    ??? the ones we play are not the oens we see being trained in black temple, we literally don't see then because they are in other missions.
    If you haven't made a DH yet, let me break it down for you. An sorry for the spoilers...
    Lmao, thats not the point, they had all the options to make DH other races, they on purpose chose to go for the easy route to not make other customizations and dH for other races, because the ilidari was not just elves.

So, in order for Blizzard to open it up, Illidan has to come back or another one like Altruis or Kayn need to pick up where Illidan left off and trained them.
    Not rly? other DH can train then just fine.
    No, the Draenei were not part of the Third War. They arrived on the planet just before the reopening of the Dark Portal ushering in The Burning Crusade. They were included as original options as Death Knights as an aberation to the lore for gameplay reasons. Blizzard could not just let the Horde have High Elves and not let Alliance have Draenei as DKs.
    Who said something about the third war? Arthas start raising soldiers prior wtlk, after were draenei already in the game, with the purpose to destroy the scarlet crusade and the Argent Dawn

Because they want Blizzard to drop everything and update the starting experience for DHs and move it to the current time. So no, they're not "refusing". They haven't done it yet. Not to mention that Holinka is on record disputing your claim.
    Update the new one, or just to exiles reach, options are there.

Yeah the Dev is saying something, im not someone who blindly accept what they say when we already got played before.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    ??? the ones we play are not the oens we see being trained in black temple, we literally don't see then because they are in other missions.
    You obviously haven't done the DH starting mission. I suggest you try it. Because yes, we DO start during the attack on Black Temple way back then. We're asleep in those crystals for all of Wrath, Cata, MoP, and WoD until Gul'dan opens the portal at the Tomb of Sargeras and kicks Legion off.

Not rly? other DH can train then just fine.
    You quoted me literally saying that. Did you have trouble understanding what I wrote or something?

They just have to update the starting area. They either bring Illidan back or they will have Kayn/Altruis or others train new DHs. It depends on if they have plans for Illidan to come back and/or time to devote the resources to updating the starting area.

In case you have 0 experience with game development, this isn't an instant process. And they kind of have something else on their plate right now as they are making a new expansion that is about to go into alpha Soon™. It's called Dragonflight. You may have heard of it.

DKs were introduced in 3.0. The race restrictions were removed in 8.3. I imagine that the race restriction will be removed much sooner for DHs. Could even be towards the end of Dragonflight.

Who said something about the third war? Arthas start raising soldiers prior wtlk, after were draenei already in the game, with the purpose to destroy the scarlet crusade and the Argent Dawn
    Because then there would be no Orc or Troll or Tauren Death Knights either. They don't live in the Eastern Kingdoms... but they did fight the Scourge during the Third War. Hence why Arthas had access to them to raise. It would been just Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, and maybe Night Elves (Tyrande and a small band were on EK) for Alliance and Forsaken and High Elves for Horde.

Update the new one, or just to exiles reach, options are there.
    I find it amusing that people whine about what Blizzard crapping on the lore and such, yet when they want something, they demand Blizzard crap on the lore to do it for them.

Yeah the Dev is saying something, im not someone who blindly accept what they say when we already got played before.
    100% different issue. They said that's the plan and that's that. Sure it can change but last time they did that, it blew up in their face. You probably were not around for WoD and the #NoFlyNoSub fiasco.

I like for class/race combos to make sense lorewise. How is a tauren rogue gonna pickpocket anything when his hand his bigger than my pocket?

7+ Year Old Account
    You obviously haven't done the DH starting mission. I suggest you try it. Because yes, we DO start during the attack on Black Temple way back then. We're asleep in those crystals for all of Wrath, Cata, MoP, and WoD until Gul'dan opens the portal at the Tomb of Sargeras and kicks Legion off.
    I already did, you were talking about that when we other players, go to black temple we see elves being trained, but the ones we saw there are not the ones that became plaayble.

They come backa fter ilidna was defeated.

You quoted me literally saying that. Did you have trouble understanding what I wrote or something?
    Then why you said they need to bring illidan back, when they don't?
    They just have to update the starting area.
    Exile's reach, just make some new flavour text saying who trained you, done.

Because then there would be no Orc or Troll or Tauren Death Knights either. They don't live in the Eastern Kingdoms... but they did fight the Scourge during the Third War. Hence why Arthas had access to them to raise. It would been just Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, and maybe Night Elves (Tyrande and a small band were on EK) for Alliance and Forsaken and High Elves for Horde.
    Why do you think the corpses would only be form people who fought in the third war, when Agents of the lich king could have brought to him people who died from different parts of the world, or even people who already start assaulting northrend?

I find it amusing that people whine about what Blizzard crapping on the lore and such, yet when they want something, they demand Blizzard crap on the lore to do it for them.
    Sure, updating something,a dding a minor lore bits, sure would crap all over the lore

100% different issue. They said that's the plan and that's that. Sure it can change but last time they did that, it blew up in their face. You probably were not around for WoD and the #NoFlyNoSub fiasco.
    And thats my point, they saying its the plan doesn't mean they wil act on it.

What, you think adding more races to other class will lead to people mass unsunb?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanskenVI View Post
    I like for class/race combos to make sense lorewise. How is a tauren rogue gonna pickpocket anything when his hand his bigger than my pocket?
    In the same way elves and gnomes can use overgiant swords and axes, bigger than then

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I already did, you were talking about that when we other players, go to black temple we see elves being trained, but the ones we saw there are not the ones that became plaayble.
    Oh? When did Blizzard uipdate Outland to reflect the current timeline? Oh wait... they didn't. SO when you fly over Black Temple in Outland, you're seeing its state before Illiand gets defeated. Only Night Elves and High Elves. Sorry 'bout it.

Then why you said they need to bring illidan back, when they don't?
    I said he has to come back OR others have to pick up where he left off.

or conjunction (1)
    \ ər, ˈȯr
    , Southern also ˈär \
    Definition of or

1 —used as a function word to indicate an alternative

Why do you think the corpses would only be form people who fought in the third war, when Agents of the lich king could have brought to him people who died from different parts of the world, or even people who already start assaulting northrend?
    Because they lack thew ability to travel back in time. Draenei land after the Third War. They were not involved in either the battles in the Eastern Kingdoms nor did they fight in the Battle for Mt Hyjal. Arthas was dormant in a giant block of ice until just after the Burning Crusade. A little hard for him to raise people in that state.

What, you think adding more races to other class will lead to people mass unsunb?
    Wow... you really are grasping at straws. I was ferring to your comment about Holinka being on record and you know it. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    So one of the new interviews announced that they plan to eventually roll out all races to all classes, but they'll be doing it gradually to make art assets and lore for the combos that don't make sense yet.

But the current plan is for all races to have access to Mages, Priests, and Rogues in 10.0

What do you think will be the lore impact from this broadening of options?
    I think my lightforged warlock and undead druid feel itchy.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

They are smart to take down as many barriers to play as possible. The "lore reasons" for class restrictions were always a contrivance, as if an orc couldn't be "called by the Light" or a dwarf become enamored with nature and pursue training as a druid. I've wanted to be a Forsaken paladin for a long time; "but the Light hurts them!" YEAH, that's the RP point of it: someone dedicated in service to the point of purposely enduring tremendous pain to wield it.

There doesn't need to be long lore explanations for new race/class combos, but the chance is there for "flavor" quests to be introduced if they choose do make them.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2022-05-01 at 12:21 PM.
    Google doc with all plate mogs complete with import codes! PLATE TRANSMOG-O-RAMA

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh? When did Blizzard uipdate Outland to reflect the current timeline? Oh wait... they didn't. SO when you fly over Black Temple in Outland, you're seeing its state before Illiand gets defeated. Only Night Elves and High Elves. Sorry 'bout it.
    Again, you don't see the ones that became playable, those are random ones
    And we don't see then, we as palyers, already left.

And even so, saying there was other DH, who went on different missions, in different palces, and didn't came back with the others, would be a no-brainer without any retcons.

I said he has to come back OR others have to pick up where he left off.
    And, , others training the enw DH is a completely valid option.
    Because they lack thew ability to travel back in time. Draenei land after the Third War. They were not involved in either the battles in the Eastern Kingdoms nor did they fight in the Battle for Mt Hyjal. Arthas was dormant in a giant block of ice until just after the Burning Crusade. A little hard for him to raise people in that state.
    Jesus Christ, you went that far by bringing a definition of "or" with a weak attempt of gotcha, but you can't understand that the death knights playable are not all from the corpses of the third war.

Arthas start raising DK after he woke up, already prior the Wtlk expansion, when draeneis already were in the planet and would be viable picks by his agents.

I dunno why you think Arthas would need to raise then in the timeframe of burning crusade and not after.

Wow... you really are grasping at straws. I was ferring to your comment about Holinka being on record and you know it. Try again.
    On record of what? im just saying i don't believe in what devs say about doing something until they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlonghorn View Post
    I've seen some comments saying Tauren scouts have always been a thing so Rogue makes sense, but really a scout can very easily be a Hunter. (Camouflage, Tracking, Eagle Eye, Eyes of the Beast, hunter speed & agility etc all useful for scouting.)
    Tauren outlaws on the other hand, have been with us from the start:

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Smite

If anything the combos should be more restrictive for some classes as they lose a huge portion of their identity when it ''opens'' up to other races. Troll paladins are an offense to the lore. Taurens to a lesser extend, but if anyone can be a lightwhielding knight just from worshipping the sun then whats unique about being a paladin anymore?
    All of this is so some ppl can have their small dopamine moment of having their 8th alt be a new combo for a week or two before they stop caring. Anyone seeing many gnome hunters around? Major hype when it was announced of course, as always, but in practice I've yet to see one.

These changes may be popular short-term, but after ppl stop caring about it, as they always do, these changes will forever damage the core lore, roleplaying aspects of wow and by extension permanently damage the warcraft IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Lore doesn’t matter. If it did BfA and Shadowlands would never have made it live (Plus a bunch of other shit they’ve done over the years). If they’re going player expression, go all in with void elf paladins and forsaken druids.
    Theres so much good lore in BFA. It just gets overshadowed by the faction war bullshit

It'll be really interesting to see what druid forms they come up with for races like undead and orc. I have a feeling it's not going to happen.

I'm pretty sure that those that care the most to have a coherent consistent logical lore system have already quit. And Blizzard isn't interested in regaining lost subscribers anymore than they're interested in spending the effort, time, and money in fixing the lore which would involve effectively making WoW 2.0. Far easier and cost effective to cruise along and just retcon an explanation whenever it's needed to justify any changes.

Blizz...giving the players what they want has always been a great idea! /s

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Blizz...giving the players what they want has always been a great idea! /s
    Yeah. They might as well just give you a full set of Mythic raiding gear just for logging in /s

Yeah. They might as well just give you a full set of Mythic raiding gear just for logging in /s
    ...giving them ideas..

They could possibly take a shortcut - make a set of mecha-druid forms and give them to the mechanically inclined people (goblins, (mecha)gnomes, dark irons, mag'har - draenei tech is a bit too distinct to not get its own forms).

Maybe reskin some balance and resto spells as well, or just leave it.