Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    You know your game is awesome when you close 22 server less than a year into TBC.
    if retail had no crossrealm lfg etc, they would have to close 100 servers

btw. 10 or 24 (EU) august wotlk prepatch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    This is like a hundred times better than connecting realms, it's shocking blizzard hasn't tried this on retail yet.
    They may well do that someday. I think their capacity calculations are centered around expansion releases. There's zero point in closing retail realms now just to cause problems or open them again when Dragonflight launches.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am trying to read in between the lines too.

August 9th, cleansing and preparing the realms...

Can we expect WotLK prepatch by the end of August? They´d probably let it run 3/4 weeks, then release WotLKc.

Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    You know your game is awesome when you close 22 server less than a year into TBC.
    Thing is that raiding is still pretty popular in TBC, numbers on Warcraftlogs show this.

However, people have consolidated themselves among a handful of servers, back in Classic, Servers ranged from a 3~8k (Alliance and Horde combined) population, now the bigger servers sit at 20k+ from a single faction.

3+ Year Old Account
    Seeing Fairbanks on the kill list does sadden me a bit, but it had to be done. As mentioned already, I think doing this with retail at some point is the best option going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Elitist much?
    They even should rename servers to Dad&Mom, so people could talk amount them why they sucks so bad and they don't have time to play because they need to take care of their kids

Being able to transfer from PvE to PvP is great, no idea why it took so long. Almost all "pvp" servers are pvp in name only anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Thing is that raiding is still pretty popular in TBC, numbers on Warcraftlogs show this.

However, people have consolidated themselves among a handful of servers, back in Classic, Servers ranged from a 3~8k (Alliance and Horde combined) population, now the bigger servers sit at 20k+ from a single faction.
    This 100%. The community obsession with only playing on high pop realms us what drove this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    People play their main on Mankrik, Benediction, Faerlina and Pagle.
    Nobody gives a shit about the rest
    Medium servers are becoming graveyard
    lol. What a dumb comment. I play on Westfall-NA and it's incredibly active. At a 4200 pop it would have been considered one of the highest pop realms back in 2006. Even at 4200 now, come Wrath, we will have a login queue, but it will be manageable. I can't imagine what a full server right now is going to experience on Wrath launch day.

The community creating these megaservers (and Blizzard allowing it), is ridiculous. You say one thing in chat, and seconds later it's so far gone you can't even scroll to find it.

Looks like BC Classic has been a rousing success. NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelios View Post
    nobody gives a fiddlers fuck about a lvl 14 name
    Yes, we do.
    Roleplayers do that.

Blizzard is deleting ALL roleplaying servers in EU. There is no englisch RP-PVE, no englisch RP-PVP nor the german RP-PVE left. All gone.

Even if we WOULD want to move our characters (in that case, we would have used the free char transfer), char names are important to Roleplayers.

Who is still on the RP realms is there, because he WANTS to be there...

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobiology View Post
    Finally a proper consolidation, hopefully they will do the same in retail.
    Retail already has connected realms, CRZ, and sharding. They aren't going to retire realms when there is no point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    Seeing Fairbanks on the kill list does sadden me a bit, but it had to be done. As mentioned already, I think doing this with retail at some point is the best option going forward.
    Retail already has tech that helps with that issue. They are not going to retire realms on Retail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    They may well do that someday. I think their capacity calculations are centered around expansion releases. There's zero point in closing retail realms now just to cause problems or open them again when Dragonflight launches.
    I severely doubt it. With the cross realm tech they put in, there is no longer a reason to close any realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    This 100%. The community obsession with only playing on high pop realms us what drove this.
    shockingly players prefer more people to play with in an MMO. Especially in a version without automated grouping to help players find people to play with.

So weird...
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Will this affect WotLK login queue times?
    Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at!

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Will this affect WotLK login queue times?
    Nope. Those are TBC servers. Wrath servers are completely different.

Now if only they would do the same for retail wow...10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    shockingly players prefer more people to play with in an MMO. Especially in a version without automated grouping to help players find people to play with.

So weird...
    As others have pointed out the server capacity on Classic realms is not the same as it was on vanilla or TBC servers. What's considered medium pop would be a full / high pop server back in vanilla. Remember they had to invent layering to even make Classic servers playable. So yes, its very much a player perception problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    lol. What a dumb comment. I play on Westfall-NA and it's incredibly active. At a 4200 pop it would have been considered one of the highest pop realms back in 2006. Even at 4200 now, come Wrath, we will have a login queue, but it will be manageable. I can't imagine what a full server right now is going to experience on Wrath launch day.

The community creating these megaservers (and Blizzard allowing it), is ridiculous. You say one thing in chat, and seconds later it's so far gone you can't even scroll to find it.

Askandi, Sulfuras, impossible to find some people to do group quest in the general chat for Outland quest if you want to raid you need to be part of a tight elite snob community

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    As others have pointed out the server capacity on Classic realms is not the same as it was on vanilla or TBC servers. What's considered medium pop would be a full / high pop server back in vanilla. Remember they had to invent layering to even make Classic servers playable. So yes, its very much a player perception problem.
    He's kind of got a point. This is an issue hardly exclusive to WoW. I'd be hard-pressed to think of an MMO with multiple servers where there never end up being a handful of highly-populated servers, and others that eventually become basically dead.