Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    you say this like I don't deserve to express myself which is quite the despicable comment but going back to your first comment on the thread it tracks
    Of course you deserve to express yourself. As do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ...it is the story? Like, her crushing on a hot guy from out of town that was apparently there specifically because of the powers she's manifesting seems pretty relevant to me. If you're talking about her friend and the Mosque council thing, that doesn't seem any different than Cap showing up at Sam's veterans' support group and the two of them talking about trying to find their place in the world after being soldiers. It's part of who those characters are and the things that are important to them.
    The issue is for me it feels disconnected right now and parts feel like it is "added" to fill run time as opposed to being important.

Sam and Captain conversation is used to build up why Cap goes to Sam later on in the film. So, it is character development and serves a narrative purpose later on. This just feel like fluff to me, and I am just not a fan of drama fluff.

The hot guy makes sense, I figured it was going to play into the story some how. And I know Bruno's scene with the counselor will be part of some subplot/character growth later. It is just some scenes go on longer than they need to. Like Bruno's scene we only needed the counselor telling him about it and Bruno saying I'll think about it, we didn't need two movie references thrown in. That scene felt like it dragged on, despite being short because of it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only seen episode one so far, and I actually loved it. The blend of animation and live action is super fun. I really enjoy Iman Vellani as Ms Marvel. And recently learning she has no acting experience or training prior to being casted in this role makes it even better.

Story wise, being only one episode in, I am keeping an open mind to see where it goes, since in one episode it really just set the stage for who the main character is.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Weird how leftoids are ok with them pushing Islam in Marvel but throw a fit over Chris Pratt being a proud Christian irl. Weird, weird lot.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Weird how leftoids are ok with them pushing Islam in Marvel but throw a fit over Chris Pratt being a proud Christian irl. Weird, weird lot.
    "Oh noes, they showed a different religion than mine!!! REEEEEE!!!"

Pathetic.

You realize that Daredevil was chock full of Catholic stuff right? And no one gave a sloppy wet shit because that was part of who the character is? I have no idea what the issue with Chris Pratt is, but I'm going to assume it has something to do with the beliefs he holds IRL, since religion has fuck-all to do with the character he plays in the MCU.

Overly sensitive SJW: "Ms. Marvel is a show about a young muslim girl, it's not a show meant for old straight cis-gendered white guys..."

Me, fitting this description: "Ok, well, I won't watch it then..."

Overly sensitive SJW: "BIGOT!!!!!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    Overly sensitive SJW: "Ms. Marvel is a show about a young muslim girl, it's not a show meant for old straight cis-gendered white guys..."

Overly sensitive SJW: "BIGOT!!!!!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    I have quite the surrounding of LBGTQI+ folks in my social media, and I have yet to see anything remotely like this from them. I am a 40+ straight cis-gendered white guy.

Are you fibbing?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Probably because he has links to a dubious church, while currently in Ms Marvel we have an accurate portrayal of how Muslims express their religion in day to day life. And tbh the Islam hasn't even been that big a factor in what I've seen (only ep 1 so far) and the dad was 'Tone it down son' in one scene...
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    So, you are okay with gifted powers so long as you are impressed prior? I mean for me the only difference with Rogers is that he was chosen for a gift. I personally don't see a difference outside of order.

I have no problem with Earning the Gift either prior or after. But, the majority of Marvel characters are people who get he gift and then learn to use it and become a hero.
    Not gifted, earned is the key word. Rogers earned his powers, and Stark created his after what he went through and changed to try and be a better person. The fact you can't see that Rogers proved he was the right person with his repeated actions is I guess an opinion, but not one I would ever make.

As for majority I already went through the phase 1 heroes/why I liked them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost like religion in the media is important and intrinsical to that character. And I don't give a shit about Christ Pratt being religious IRL as long as he doesn't use his platform to espouse hatred of certain groups, which, to my knowledge, he hasn't done.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post

Good job, buddy! You sure lit that nice strawman on fire. You must be very proud of yourself for doing that. In all seriousness, I couldn't give less of a shit about you not watching the show, but white men specifically online have this weird tendency that they must give their opinion on everything. If you truly didn't care, why are you in this thread? I don't go bashing Retail WoW in the threads for that because I know my opinion is unwanted and unneeded.
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Not gifted, earned is the key word. Rogers earned his powers, and Stark created his after what he went through and changed to try and be a better person. The fact you can't see that Rogers proved he was the right person with his repeated actions is I guess an opinion, but not one I would ever make.

This is a pretty baffling position to take. Plenty of superheroes gain their powers by accident or by luck. Their stories are rarely literally about how they got those powers, but instead how they choose to use them. Steve Rogers "earned" his powers because he demonstrated that he would use them justly. Peter Parker "earned" his powers because he learned the lesson that he needs to use them responsibly. Tony Stark went through something similar.

I know nothing about this character outside of what I've seen in these two episodes, but it seems pretty pointless to assume that she's not going to end up with a similar story in the end.

That is a strange definition of being worthy: origin not behavior.

By that Superman is not worthy of his powers, the only thing he ever did is being born in Krypton while Luthor that spent a big chunk of his like trying to adcquire the tech/powers to beat him is actually the worthy one.

You are mixing concepts here. The accident is the cliché of the genre ( Spiderman is bitten by a radioactive spider, the Fantastic Four are caught in a cosmic ray burst, Bruce Banner is hit by a gamma bomb explosion) because the narrative premise of "I did not ask for this...I did not wanted to be a hero" helps remark the concept of responsibilty. You never planned this but once you have it...it's a moral imperative to use it for the greater good.

It's really a weird take the if you did not earn them you do not deserve them like superpowers are some kind of blessing or vital goal when the genre is precisely the opposite: superpowers are a burden you need to carry. They are gonna destroy your life ( sometimes literally),they are gonna push you into a weird existence full of sacrifice and devotion but still you are gonna keep putting the spandex on because it's the right thing to do: because lives need to be saved.

I just can't see how the "earning" is positive factor in a character if not for the perspective of some kind of achievement , of blessing when superpowers are not this...they are a curse.

Edit: Oh I read more posts. Well: about the "agenda" yeah,there was absolutely zero chance the "agenda" wouldn't show up, one important fact: MsMarvel is the most sucessful new creation of Marvel in the last two decades by any conceivable metric. Period. Disney's agenda is, was , and always will be: $.
    Last edited by PrimiOne; 2022-06-15 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I definitely agree that the heroes require some obstacle to overcome in order for them to truly earn their powers, and I think this was done very well with Stark and Captain America (less so with Thor). Problem is, you're judging a story that is unfinished currently and comparing it to their packaged movies. If we go this entire series without having any major issues for her and end up with her powers still feeling un-earned, then I will absolutely agree that it was handled poorly, but we just don't know yet.

Side note, I wish they would stop making such long series about stuff that could've been a movie. I realize their slate is already full, but maybe do shorter series with like 4 episodes each. It's the same problem I had with Netflix Marvel stuff, it just felt too padded out and overlong.

Closing this thread, as it's going nowhere fast. Talking about social agenda conspiracies and whining about SJWs is offtopic for this forum. Keep that discussion in GenOT - but I assume y'all know that it wouldn't be tolerated there either. If you want to discuss this actual show - try again and keep it on topic.