Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    And where, pray tell, are you pulling this out of?
    I work in market research we have internal and industry tools for tracking social media analytics, minutes viewed and web traffic.

It's rated higher than Black Panther was, and despite the massive campaign to review bomb it, it's not far behind in audience scores either (97% and 84% respectively on Rotten Tomatoes, and 6.2/10 on IMDB).
    That's user review ratings. Nothing to with what I am talking about. Separate thing.

So hilarious when people like you try to act like you're talking out of anything but your backside.
    Okay, that's your problem. Why would I care? I will continue living my life just fine. LOL

And nothing about that sentence makes any sense to me. How do you "counter-program" a streaming service other than by simply existing.
    Easily, commonly? For like a century?

Platforms do this all the time. It's a direct marketing and release strategy for all forms of media going back to the theater. You simply look at the releases your competitors are offering and launch your programming to garner people's attention potentially. If you make someone forget about what your competitors are offering that is effective marketing.

The worst thing to happen to you as a media company is you have a product no one is talking about in favor of talking about the other guy's product. That is essentially commercial death.

Companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars for the express purpose of creating buzz for their product relative to other products.

"Oh Harriet, I don't know. Ms. Marvel is being released at midnight today, and so are these two other shows on different streaming services. Since we can't possibly watch them whenever the fuck we want, which one are we going to watch?!?!"
    People only have so much time and attention to spare. And most follow what is trending/buzzing. So while Hulu might release a show on the same day as Stranger Things 4, if ST4 is taking up all the social oxygen in the room, the majority of consumers will watch ST4 and keep your product buzzing.

Film, TV, streaming, sports, and theater have done this for years. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I work in market research we have internal and industry tools for tracking social media analytics, minutes viewed and web traffic.
    Ah, you're one of those people. Good to know who not to bother reading now.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    so you're saying you have access to viewer counts from Disney+? or if you don't you have a tool that shows you the total amount of people worldwide who are watching not just Disney+ shows but every single Netflix, Amazon Prime etc shows?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    so you're saying you have access to viewer counts from Disney+? or if you don't you have a tool that shows you the total amount of people worldwide who are watching not just Disney+ shows but every single Netflix, Amazon Prime etc shows?
    He sure is!

And I bet next week he's going to be a high-up in an aeronautics company where he's privy to details on the latest breakthroughs at NASA when he jumps into a conversation about space travel.

And the week after that he's going to be a researcher at a pharmaceuticals company when he voices his opinion on a new vaccine for Covid.

And so on.

It's amazing how many industry insiders and experts in a field show up in message forums. Especially when their idiotic claims don't match up with reality whatsoever.

Don't bother talking to Infinity Cubed, he is a marvel super fan, they can do no wrong and only release the bestest, greatest, most amazingest products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Don't bother talking to Infinity Cubed, he is a marvel super fan, they can do no wrong and only release the bestest, greatest, most amazingest products.
    Don't bother talking to bledgor. He thinks that if you don't have an established supervillain, a professionally designed suit by Howard or Tony Stark, and have completed your hero's journey in the first ten minutes, then you're not a real superhero and your story shouldn't even be told to begin with.

So we HAVE to like something based on age/skin/religion/identifier now and can't have dissenting thoughts?
    Plus he says things like that. He might as well be shouting "all lives matter" from atop a mountain.

Can we stick to talking about the show and not whatever you guys are arguing about? Enjoyed second episode. Excited to see what happens moving forward. Sucky for Kamala that she's related to the guy she likes.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Yes. Neilsen tracks minutes and other tools track social media engagement and market presence. These services are paid for by companies.

https://global.nielsen.com/solutions/

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't even remember the name. Every user on forums is a robot to me. I remember no one and nothing about them if the little notification bell doesn't show up. I care nothing at all about the validity of these strangers I do not interact with IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't even remember the name. Every user on forums is a robot to me. I remember no one and nothing about them if the little notification bell doesn't show up. I care nothing at all about the validity of these strangers I do not interact with IRL.
    Have all these years together meant nothing to you!?!?!

[This is how you create super villains you know.....]
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Nevermind that streaming services don't even need a service like them. Since, you know, they have all of the precision data available to them first hand. But, you know, details?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nielsen kinda sucks. US only, and only TVs.
    That's the market that matters most, the US. Nielsen covers streaming platforms for a long time now.

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nevermind that streaming services don't even need a service like them. Since, you know, they have all of the precision data available to them first hand. But, you know, details?
    I don't remember her claiming to work directly for one of those streaming services. Your information is from IMDB, so I don't really see what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I don't remember her claiming to work directly for one of those streaming services.
    They're literally the only person who brought them up, directly inferring that they do. Apparently they also review TV shows for the public, seeing as they also claim to have received screeners for an entire series (even though they don't exist in this case; and when they do screeners for shows, they're typically only the first few episodes prior to the original airing so that reviewers have something to review to spur audiences). And after a quick glance at their posting history, they also apparently focus their work on cellphones (but only because they were in a topic talking about cellphones at the time). Amazing!

You know what else is amazing? There's absolutely no articles out there claiming that Ms. Marvel is tanking or even doing poorly. There's some talk about how it got review bombed, but that's it. In fact, the closest thing Google is throwing up in that regard are the same types of people you find in this thread who--by some freakish coincidence--also just happen to not like the show (assuming they even bothered to watch it to begin with, as most of them say they gave up after the first ten minutes or some other ridiculous hyperbole).

Funny that.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-06-17 at 08:16 PM.

Not for Fencers though, yo.

They're literally the only person who brought them up, directly inferring that they do. Apparently they also review TV shows for the public, seeing as they also claim to have received screeners for the entire series (even though they don't exist in this case; and when they do, screeners for shows, they're typically only the first few episodes prior to the original airing so that reviewers have something to review to spur audiences). And after a quick glance at their posting history, they also apparently focus their work on cellphones (but only because they were in a topic talking about cellphones at the time). Amazing!

You know what else is amazing? There's absolutely no articles out there claiming that Ms. Marvel is tanking or even doing poorly. There's some talk about how it got review bombed, but that's it. In fact, the closest thing Google is throwing up in that regard are the same types of people you find in this thread who--by some freakish coincidence--also just happen to not like the show (assuming they even bothered to watch it to begin with, as most of them say they gave up after the first ten minutes or some other ridiculous hyperbole).

Funny that.
    Dude, I don't know what you are on about but you're living some fantasy. Not sure why it stuck in your crawl as such. Haha.

I don't work for any specific company. I work in market research; focus groups, product testing, usability analysis, etc. That's everything from potato chips to smartphones and tv/movies. I don't know what you think market research is- but it's just that kind of stuff. Dozens of companies exist like the one I work for, nothing unusual.

I still work on cell phones! It's a major part of my team's portfolio. We also just wrapped up work for Frito-Lay, Pepsi, and Bosch. If you start a thread on refrigerators, I will share some information on various models after completing the Bosch research for the past 4 months.

Almost everything is market and research-tested.

If you are talking about The Boys, production facilities rarely send out physical screeners anymore. They send out screener codes. You go on an internal website called a "portal" and input the code. The media plays in a window with watermark text on it- simple. Production has to send these out for various purposes; media reviews, commercial reviews, visual effect checks, ADR correction, subtitle correction, and market testing.

What you are thinking about is a commercial review. This is again, another thing. Nothing to do with me.

No one said Ms. Marvel is tanking.

Here is what I said:

This came out hot but has done progressively smaller streaming numbers and is not trending very high. This probably gonna up being a "Hawkeye" performer for Disney+.
    Meaning the current tracking for the show after Ep2 is around where it was for Hawkeye.

I then guessed recent D+ shows not being as hot as past shows (Mandolorian and Loki to be specific) is likely to see other platforms position their offerings more confidently around Disney's output. Most of the time, other studios stay out of Disney's way. Because you won't want to release Umbrella Academy s4 or The Flight Attendant s3 against Loki s2, for example, and have your new show buried on social media and minutes viewed by the Disney juggernaut. This matters GREATLY to companies that produce this content.

This is not controversial nor requires insider information and is no slander to any one show. It's just what is buzzing. You yourself can look up the social trends for shows and compare them with a little work. There are free tools that do this but don't produce PRL lists like my work tools. I just typed Ms. Marvel into my company portal and saw the data in one go.

Dude, I don't know what you are on about but you're living some fantasy. Not sure why it stuck in your crawl as such. Haha.

I don't work for any specific company. I work in market research; focus groups, product testing, usability analysis, etc. That's everything from potato chips to smartphones and tv/movies. I don't know what you think market research is- but it's just that kind of stuff. Dozens of companies exist like the one I work for, nothing unusual.

I still work on cell phones! It's a major part of my team's portfolio. We also just wrapped up work for Frito-Lay, Pepsi, and Bosch. If you start a thread on refrigerators, I will share some information on various models after completing the Bosch research for the past 4 months.

Almost everything is market and research-tested.

If you are talking about The Boys, production facilities rarely send out physical screeners anymore. They send out screener codes. You go on an internal website called a "portal" and input the code. The media plays in a window with watermark text on it- simple. Production has to send these out for various purposes; media reviews, commercial reviews, visual effect checks, ADR correction, subtitle correction, and market testing.

What you are thinking about is a commercial review. This is again, another thing. Nothing to do with me.

No one said Ms. Marvel is tanking.

Here is what I said:

Meaning the current tracking for the show after Ep2 is around where it was for Hawkeye.

I then guessed recent D+ shows not being as hot as past shows (Mandolorian and Loki to be specific) is likely to see other platforms position their offerings more confidently around Disney's output. Most of the time, other studios stay out of Disney's way. Because you won't want to release Umbrella Academy s4 or The Flight Attendant s3 against Loki s2, for example, and have your new show buried on social media and minutes viewed by the Disney juggernaut. This matters GREATLY to companies that produce this content.

This is not controversial nor requires insider information and is no slander to any one show. It's just what is buzzing. You yourself can look up the social trends for shows and compare them with a little work. There are free tools that do this but don't produce PRL lists like my work tools. I just typed Ms. Marvel into my company portal and saw the data in one go.
    Very interesting. If I read you correctly then if Ms Marvel was pulling larger numbers without being more prominent in social traffic in that regard it would not be considered much of a competitor to some show getting more social hits. Not the way I am used to seeing the world.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2022-06-18 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Very interesting. If I read you correctly then if Ms Marvel was pulling larger numbers without being more prominent in social traffic in that regard it would not be considered much of a competitor in that regard to some show getting more social hits. Not the way I am used to seeing the world.
    Yup. Hulu's recent Prey trailer, for example, was considered a huge success. Because it trended so well it pushed most other releases and announcements off the table.

When a product trends, it's not just the total hits either. Who is hitting, so to speak, is really important. For example, if something is trending among F18-35 with a minimum of 13% African-American and 16% Hispanic breakdown, you have a golden goose. That is Euphoria's demo and is the hottest demographic you can ever design a product of any kind for; film, tv, ice cream, phones, cars, insurance, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yep, but only when streamed to a TV. They don’t count any mobile devices or the like. And since it’s just the US, it’s not the best. There are others who cover the globe for streaming.
    Global streaming ain't the game though. The only market that really matters in the entertainment industry and is used as the measuring stick is the US. To some degree India and China but for different media products and different reasons- mostly because of how the distro works there. Though all of that doesn't matter because Niesen is still one of the most used data tools and an industry leader for decades.

Nielsen does track mobile. Users registers devices with the census app and that will track mobile, set-top, computers, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    This week's episode was great. I really enjoyed it. And Kamala remains absolutely adorable. Lorddddd I remember when I was that big of a dork.

I'm honestly still a huge dork, so idk what I'm going on about.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Yea, the tracking on this show is a problem. As I said days before this article came out, it was around "Hawkeye" level of engagement. I was right on the money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=297045d91d23

I guess it's what people have identified as a "it's not for you" problem. I've raised objections and been rebuffed with that on multiple venues, which I guess means they might be right?

And truth be told, maybe my expectations were too high. I wanted this to break the mold in more ways than one; and I guess it breaks the mold in exactly one way. Which is cool, and works, and is perfectly well executed.

For me, though, it just isn't enough. I'm over the standard teenage superhero story except with <element> different.

Maybe it really isn't for me.