Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account

New gaming monitor - what to buy?

Hello fellas

I havent changed my gaming monitor in ages, and with my new gaming setup comming up i think this might be the time to do so.
    But i have noget clue what to get.

Im mostly playing, CS:GO, dota2, COD, WOW.

Getting a 3080 gfx.

Wich direction do i need to look at? im more about the smothness of the games than graphics. I doubt that ill be playing in 4K.

Back in the days i mostly worried about the refresh rate and the responstime, but i feel like there is way more to look at this time.

1 thing that i would like is soud in the monitor.

pricerange 500-600$ i think ish. not too important.

Hope you all can and will help - have a nice summer

UPDATE-----

Thx for all the inputs, the thread just shows there isnt an easy answer here - Im looking at Philips 27" 27M1N5200PA/00 - price seems allright and it got the specs most of your recommend.
    Last edited by JoeGood; 2022-07-07 at 08:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend to go for a wide format instead of 4k. It's just a good feeling to have that additional peripheral vision.

Get a 240hz panel whatever you do

Ultrawide for WoW.
    24 1080p 120-240hz for FPS

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    24 1080p 120-240hz for FPS
    There is absolutely no reason to stick to 1080p for FPS - what matters is the refresh rate.

You can get good 1440p panels that do 240hz now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to stick to 1080p for FPS - what matters is the refresh rate.

Well there is. for one Game at least

24 for CS is the perfect Size due to Screen size and little Eye Movement. Dont forget that CS Players are also not your typical Gamers since a lot dont even use the native Resolution. You have People using 800x600 / 1024x768 stretched to 1280x960 and so on

24 for CS is the perfect Size due to Screen size and little Eye Movement. Dont forget that CS Players are also not your typical Gamers since a lot dont even use the native Resolution. You have People using 800x600 / 1024x768 stretched to 1280x960 and so on
    Very much a preference thing and you don't need to have your face in the monitor.

But if you're serious about CS don't get an ultrawide and 27" is roughly the max most people have space on their desks for.

Personally I would buy 27" 1440p 240hz as a do it all monitor. If you're a sunday player when it comes to CS then get that wide screen.
    Last edited by Thes; 2022-06-29 at 10:18 AM.

also depends what pc you have and what fps games you are playing, if you cant reach 240fps in 1440p there is no reason anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid Samsung (screen loves to die randomly), Alienware (will not show video with some grafic cards) , Wievsonic (flickering) and HP monitors (blackscreen/driver problems).

Acer (be sure you dont get a dead pixel ones) and Lenovo are probaly best on market so far.
    If you are planing to buy, be sure you check all possible issues it could have.
    A better refresh rate is quite noticable, so i would go for ones with high refresh rate 1.st.

3080 gfx supports 120-240Hz refresh rate, so you need to aim at that.

Found one for 500 Euro:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predat...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Don't sweat the details!!!

If you are serious about games like CSGO and other FPS games I'd go with a higher refresh rate/hz. These days the pros use 240hz or 360hz monitors. You have to give up some resolution if you go that route tho. Since most monitors capable of those rates are currently only going up to 1920x1080. If you dont mind dropping some speed a good middle ground is a 1440p 144-240hz monitor. I would not buy in to gimmicks like a curved display or one using an odd aspect ratio that is poorly supported in most games. Example being an ultra-wide monitor in 21:9. Whilst this is cool it comes with its own set of limitations. Especially in games like WoW where UI elements and addons are heavily affected by the resolution you are running.

When it comes to size its mostly preference. Again tho, I'd stay between 24 and 32 inches.

- - - Updated - - -

360hz with an OC to 390hz exists now. If you dont mind staying with 1080p.

- - - Updated - - -

You mentioned sound in the monitor. A lot of them have speakers in them. However, even on the more expensive ones these are of questionable quality. Monitor speakers will always be monitor speakers. Whatever you do, dont pay extra for something like that.
    Last edited by Ilookfly; 2022-06-29 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Avoid Samsung (screen loves to die randomly)
    Is that still a problem? A decade ago that was a problem due to the bad Foxconn capacitors Samsung pushed into all their devices. I repaired a few of my own monitors by soldering in new ones though that's not a very fun task.

But yeah Philips or ProLite are vastly better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Is that still a problem? A decade ago that was a problem due to the bad Foxconn capacitors Samsung pushed into all their devices. I repaired a few of my own monitors by soldering in new ones though that's not a very fun task.

But yeah Philips or ProLite are vastly better.
    It probaly depends on model. Best to check reviews on all.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

This is what Samsung devices suffered from. It sounds very cyberpunk, well, I guess it is. And these tiny tubes really did pop and leak corrosive stuff out of them back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilookfly View Post
    Monitor speakers will always be monitor speakers. Whatever you do, dont pay extra for something like that.
    Agree, I think I paid roughly 700€ for a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS which has speakers (quite a while back, you get the same spec for 350 now I think?) and the sound quality is atrocious. My phone has a better speaker.

… size of the momitor has nothing to do with the resolution, fren. I have 2 24” 1440p monitors on my daily driver Mac

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    also depends what pc you have and what fps games you are playing, if you cant reach 240fps in 1440p there is no reason anyway.
    Competitive shooters arent that taxing. A 3080 can get 400+fps at 4k, much less 1440p, in games like CSGO, etc.

Edited to add: not counting Battle Royale style games. Those, like WoW, tend to be single-thread CPU bound.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-06-29 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried a 32 inch monitor not too long ago and got serious eye-strain problems, wouldn't recommend. Maybe my desk wasn't deep enough but I've swapped back to a proper 27inch and it's so much better and things are easier to see.

Ultrawide seems nice but depends on the games you play.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Just got a 32" MSI 2k curved monitor that I think is quite brilliant. 1ms, 144hz. Gtx3070. Happy I stepped up from 1920x1080.

I got this one last year and its freakin awesome.

240hz, 27in, gsync, 1ms, HDR, IPS, 1440p.

https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-Gam.../dp/B08LR145ZY

Can't go wrong with an ultra-wide or 42" OLED for casual/semi competitive play though YMMV if you're worried about burn-in. Personally, I have no issues replacing a defective panel after 3-4 years anyway. I ditched my AW3418DW for the latter and couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Theonewholurks; 2022-06-30 at 09:37 AM.

… size of the momitor has nothing to do with the resolution, fren. I have 2 24” 1440p monitors on my daily driver Mac

- - - Updated - - -

Competitive shooters arent that taxing. A 3080 can get 400+fps at 4k, much less 1440p, in games like CSGO, etc.

Edited to add: not counting Battle Royale style games. Those, like WoW, tend to be single-thread CPU bound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_xY_2JWIg

Yes it can. but nobody being serious will go 4k in CS for the next 5+ Years. Unless something magical happens. Its always Personal preference but 24 1080p 120-240hz just feels right. I tried 27+ long enough