need advice on wifi extender/booster

i just moved into a friends house and his router/modem combo give me a weak signal as im at the other end of the house and a floor down.was wondering what ppl recommend that wont break the bank to boost the signal?

Quote Originally Posted by psychokilla187 View Post
    i just moved into a friends house and his router/modem combo give me a weak signal as im at the other end of the house and a floor down.was wondering what ppl recommend that wont break the bank to boost the signal?
    What kind of router does he have?

What are the possibilities of just running a wire?

Depending on what Router he has (it may suck) are you willing to do your buddy who is probably cutting you a good rate on rent a solid and get a better one?

he has a router/modem supplied by cox cable.i hooked my router up to it but it didn't make a difference. the router is a Nighthawk AC2300.i just get a weaker signal and it effects my game play if i play online and sometimes my streaming.

cant run a wire.

he wont change to a newer one from the company cause he'd have to pay for it
    Last edited by psychokilla187; 2022-07-16 at 01:46 AM.

he has a router/modem supplied by cox cable.i hooked my router up to it but it didn't make a difference. the router is a Nighthawk AC2300.i just get a weaker signal and it effects my game play if i play online and sometimes my streaming.

cant run a wire.

Well you'd have to set your router up as an Access Point, not a router. Thats why its not doing anything. Your router is being plugged into another router, and its trying to talk to a cable modem and isnt seeing one.

There should be a guide on the internet for your partiicular router as to how to set it to an access point.

However:

You can buy whatever router you wish, and then call Cox and tell them to come collect their trash. All Cable companies are required by law to let you use your own equipment. You can even replace the cable modem.

Itll save your friend money in the long term. RIght now, he's paying them monthly to rent that router and that modem.

You can replace the modem for ~150$ (and itll likely perform better), and then add any router of your choice. Itll pay for itself in less than a year in saved rental fees on Cox's shitty equipment.

If that isn't something you're willing to do or hes dead-set against it because he likes wasting money, then id still suggest:

- Running a cable (well get to that in a sec)

- Using a better, much more powerful router, and set it as an access point and just connect to that.

- last/worst case, get a Ethernet-over-powerilne adapter and just do that.

1 -Running a cable when you "cant run a cable" - vents, my man, vents. No holes drilled in walls, no crawling under the house, nothing. Just run the line through the vents. I did this in a condo i lived in and it was the best thing ever. You just take all the vent plates off between wherever the router is and your room and use a small dowel or even a yard stick to pull it through the vent. Most work you have to do is drilling a hole big enough for the head of the Ethernet cable to fit through in one of the vents (or just bend a single vent vane out of the way) on each end.

2 - If you cant do that for whatever reason (ive encountered very few homes where that isnt feasible and super easy), then consider just getting a much better router and setting it up as an Access Point (if hes absolutely stuck on keeping the Cox provided junker). Youll plug this into his router via Ethernet, try to put it as far from his router as the room layout/cable will allow, and then your Access Point will broadcast its own network. Make sure to set it to different channels than his router so there's less interference.

2b - as a sub point of this, if hes willing to replace their router, ASUS routers have a VERY stone-simple Mesh Router setup - literally just a few clicks - so you set up the primary router, get another one that is AI MESH compatible, and click a button. Boom. Now you have a mesh network. I recently did this to get all my IoT/Smart Devices off my main router (i have a rather high end router for my main router, but there is an incompatability in the antenna/WiFi module that router uses and the brand of Smart Devices i use - TP-Link's Kasa - that was causing the devices to drop off the network constantly. But, turns out, its only the "better" WiFI module in their super high end units that were doing this so i bought a cheap 55$ AC66U B2 and turned into a mesh unit with AI MESH and forced all the smart devices to connect only to that) - works great and it took all of like 90 seconds to set up.

Other companies may have similar technology - including Netgear - youll just have to look. If Netgear does have something similar, you could simply get a cheaper Netgear router that supports their Mesh standard and do the exact same thing.

3 - Absolutely worst case, you can buy a set of Powerline adapters (like these: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ne-starter-kit). you dont have to get that particular one by any means, im sure there are others.

But the gist of it is you plug one into the wall (power plug) near the router, run an ethernet cable from the router to the Powerline Adapter, put the other Powerline Adaptor in your room, and run an ethernet cable from it to your computer. There is usually a simple pairing proceedure (so the two adapters will recognize each other) - and then, poof. Wired internet. It can sometimes be a little spiky in bandwidth (depends on the quality of the power cables and interference on the line) but generally they are 95% as good as being wired by "real" ethernet the whole way.

cant run a wire.

Do you have a coax outlet closer to your PC? Does the modem have moca?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    1 -Running a cable when you "cant run a cable" - vents, my man, vents. No holes drilled in walls, no crawling under the house, nothing. Just run the line through the vents. I did this in a condo i lived in and it was the best thing ever. You just take all the vent plates off between wherever the router is and your room and use a small dowel or even a yard stick to pull it through the vent. Most work you have to do is drilling a hole big enough for the head of the Ethernet cable to fit through in one of the vents (or just bend a single vent vane out of the way) on each end.

Please don't do this. You are risking a fire. You also risk damaging the wires and releasing toxic fumes into the house. There is also a risk of breaking the lease of the place, building code violations, and insurance not paying if the house burns down.

The best answers switch to better hardware, ideally, a Mesh system, if he is set on Cox-provided hardware see what they offer; even my regional cable company now offers whole house wi-fi with a no-dead spot guarantee.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Please don't do this. You are risking a fire. You also risk damaging the wires and releasing toxic fumes into the house. There is also a risk of breaking the lease of the place, building code violations, and insurance not paying if the house burns down.
    Literally none of these things are true, so, you know, there's that part where you're totally wrong.

Just how hot do you think heat ducts get? Let me assure you it isn't hot enough to even warm up the cables significantly. The current running through them makes them warmer.

Its not going to damage the wires (Cat 6e is rated to run at over 140F) or melt them, or any of that fucking nonsense.

Its not going to violate a lease because its not a permanent change to the premesis (you can pull it out with no damage. The most you might have to do is replace two vent covers. Which you might have had to do anyway since a lot of people bend or destroy them just by accidentally stepping on them or putting furniture on them).

Its not going to violate a building code any more than running an extension cord across your floor would.

And its certainly not going to start a fire in a metal tube with the miniscule amount of current going through ethernet cables.

So, please dont comment on shit you know nothing about.

to give a little update.the modem/router is the same device and he also has cable so cutting that out isnt gonna happen.i havent had time to try the access point thing but i will soon.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    to give a little update.the modem/router is the same device and he also has cable so cutting that out isnt gonna happen.i havent had time to try the access point thing but i will soon.
    It won't do much if it is in the same location. The closer you can move it to you the better. You said you can't run a wire to you. But can you run a wire to a spot closer in the home for the access point?

Also powerline can work depending on your electrical setup in your home. Can buy it and test it, return if it doesn't work.

I got tired of bad WiFi in my home and while off due to Covid shutdown ran cat6e through my walls. Found some newspaper insulation in one of the walls from the 60s. Now I have an access point dead center of my house. Before the opposite end had a deadspot now the whole home gets good WiFi. Also ran cables into the rooms if we ever need to move the computer. Next goal is to run a wire to our garage which is detached to get better WiFi in the backyard.

I do not understand what him having cable has to do with anything. The TV signal does not go through the router. It can be replaced without affecting the TV at all. If the box he has is IP TV (basically the cable box is just a custom streaming box) then it will not care if it is plugged into a Cox supplied modem or not.

Seriously, pitch the math at him - if hes paying 15$ a month to Cox to rent that Modem/Router combo (and the ones Cox uses SUCCCCCKKKKK)… He can replace that with his own modem (about 150$ for a good DocSys 3.1 Modem) and router (About 200$ for a decent router from TP-Link, ASUS, or Netgear). Less than 20 months later, its paid for itself and is permanently saving himself 15$ a month.

Setting up your old router as an Access point should also work, or the powerline adapters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azsune View Post
    It won't do much if it is in the same location.
    Depends entirely on the strength of the router. Those Cox combo units are AWFUL.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends entirely on the strength of the router. Those Cox combo units are AWFUL.
    Strength only does so much. Devices also need to be able to send the signal back. For example the first thing I tried was the UniFi AP AC LR which gave me full signal strength across my house but the WiFi was still bad just slightly more stable. Looking in the software at connected devices you could see that the return signal was weak to the AP.

A lot of companies force you to use their own modem. Here they can't charge you a rental fee if you can't opt out but it is just rolled into the price. The best connection I can currently get at my house is Cable from a company that forces me to use their combo router 1000/30, the next best is 250/30 but I can use my own modem. All I can do is put it in bridge mode and use my own router. This year we suppose to be getting fiber installed to our house and will finally be able to drop the shitty modem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally none of these things are true, so, you know, there's that part where you're totally wrong.

Just how hot do you think heat ducts get? Let me assure you it isn't hot enough to even warm up the cables significantly. The current running through them makes them warmer.

Its not going to damage the wires (Cat 6e is rated to run at over 140F) or melt them, or any of that fucking nonsense.

Its not going to violate a lease because its not a permanent change to the premesis (you can pull it out with no damage. The most you might have to do is replace two vent covers. Which you might have had to do anyway since a lot of people bend or destroy them just by accidentally stepping on them or putting furniture on them).

Its not going to violate a building code any more than running an extension cord across your floor would.

And its certainly not going to start a fire in a metal tube with the miniscule amount of current going through ethernet cables.

So, please dont comment on shit you know nothing about.
    HVAC C-21 certified in NV.

Yes, and no. Cat 6e is rated at over 140F, however that's if you get GOOD cables. Most people get the cheap shit. I know the Cat6 I buy for $8 for 100ft is probably not. It also depends on the vents. Yeah, most of them don't get that hot, but there is potential, especially in colder climates. Gas furnaces are significantly hotter than electric ones.

It can most definitely violate a lease or contract, depending on the lease, and I'm eager to bet that 99% of people who rent or even own don't know if running stuff in their vents will violate anything. I wouldn't. We have to pull paperwork. It varies from city to city, HOA, mortgage company, and everything in between. But doing so doesn't violate anything, really. They'd have to find out and I doubt most landlords even know if it would or not. That said, if anything ever happens (completely unrelated to the cables) like a fire or something, insurance will sure as hell abuse that if they find out. I have definitely seen insurance claims adjusted because of wiring and evidence of cables across hallways and floors.

Is it going to start a fire? No. Is it going to cause fumes? No, probably not, however if you have asthma or something it might not be great, especially with cheap stuff. In fact, it's probably totally fine to do it, in reality. HOWEVER, it's totally the person's choice to do so, with the issues in mind that YMMV. I'm just tossing out that yes, it could, and people should base their decisions off that. There are a lot of other options to consider besides that. There's no real discussion to be had here, people can do what they want, however they should be aware regardless.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Azsune View Post
    Strength only does so much. Devices also need to be able to send the signal back. For example the first thing I tried was the UniFi AP AC LR which gave me full signal strength across my house but the WiFi was still bad just slightly more stable. Looking in the software at connected devices you could see that the return signal was weak to the AP.
    Youd have to have the worst WiFi dongle ever to be too weak to get back to the router. I mean, its possible, there's a lot of junk out there, but most internal WiFi cards (M.2 for "built in WiFi" or PCIe) are more than powerful enough (usually stronger than the average sub 200$ router) - youll have to attach the antennas, which a lot of people dont do, but itll be more than strong enough.

A lot of companies force you to use their own modem.
    In the US, they literally cannot do this. Its federal law - they are required to let you use your own equipment wether they want to or not. They will likely tell you on the phone that you have to use their equipment, and that they cant guarantee service quality if you dont, etc, etc (Comcast tried to do this to me) but they cannot prevent you. You can even get your own cable box for TV and they cant say no. All you have to do is be firm with them. Level 1/2 tech support will likely tell you you need their gear, as they probably arent even told that its against the law to try to force that. Just keeping asking for a supervisor. If they refuse, report them. Its a several thousand dollar per day fine.

Here they can't charge you a ental fee if you can't opt out but it is just rolled into the price. The best connection I can currently get at my house is Cable from a company that forces me to use their combo router 1000/30, the next best is 250/30 but I can use my own modem. All I can do is put it in bridge mode and use my own router. This year we suppose to be getting fiber installed to our house and will finally be able to drop the shitty modem.
    If you live in the US, you can use your own modem right now. If they tell you otherwise, they are lying and breaking federal law. Remind them of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    HVAC C-21 certified in NV.

Yes, and no. Cat 6e is rated at over 140F, however that's if you get GOOD cables. Most people get the cheap shit. I know the Cat6 I buy for $8 for 100ft is probably not. It also depends on the vents. Yeah, most of them don't get that hot, but there is potential, especially in colder climates. Gas furnaces are significantly hotter than electric ones.
    Anything that can touch wood cant be over about ~150 degrees no matter what as at that temperature it can cause a fire (depending on the wood used). So if your ducting touches any of the joists, it cannot get hot enough to melt even cheap wiring. I have a high efficiency (98%) gas furnace. No part of the furnace or air ducting ever gets so hot that it is even uncomfortable to put your hand on it (though, you cant put your hand on the combustion chamber).

It can most definitely violate a lease or contract, depending on the lease,
    I should have been more clear here - ANYTHING can violate a lease if they put it int he lease and you signed it, of course. But id bet that almost no leases have anything like this in them. Ive never seen one, at least, its almost always just boilerplate "dont alter the premesis without permission, etc". Anything that isn't permanent and doesn't damage anything is likely A-OK. That was rather my point. And, FWIW, the OP seems to be living with a friend who owns his own place. Because one thing that usually WILL violate your lease instantly is subletting. So if his friend was renting/leasing the house, and he added a person, THAT is likely a violation.

and I'm eager to bet that 99% of people who rent or even own don't know if running stuff in their vents will violate anything. I wouldn't. We have to pull paperwork. It varies from city to city, HOA, mortgage company, and everything in between. But doing so doesn't violate anything, really. They'd have to find out and I doubt most landlords even know if it would or not. That said, if anything ever happens (completely unrelated to the cables) like a fire or something, insurance will sure as hell abuse that if they find out. I have definitely seen insurance claims adjusted because of wiring and evidence of cables across hallways and floors.
    WIthout them being able to prove that fire was caused by said cable, thats flagrantly illegal. The burden is on them to prove that the cabling was somehow to blame (regarding running it across the floor or something). Like, im sure theyll try it, because like Cable companies telling you you MUST use their equipment even though that is literally against black-letter, settled federal law, if they can get away with it, they will...

They MUST prove that it could reasonably have caused the issue.

If you run an extension cord across the floor because there are no outlets, they cant say they wont cover it because there was an extension cord there. They have to prove that the cable caused the fire AND that it was being used improperly which is what caused it to do so. Once you bring them up short, theyll likely capitulate because they will straight up lose that case if it goes to court.

i ended up buying a wifi extender and the speed isn't amazing but the signal is way better so i don't have issues with ping really now when i play online.

i appreciate the feedback and answer from everyone.i don't plan on being here more then a year so i just wanted cheap options.my friend is being dumb about calling cox for updated modem at least so what i have setup now is what ill have to deal with.