Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    So the DM bent a rule or two, no big whoop. My DM let my centaur druid learn to shapeshift into a T-rex after seeing bones in a museum. Turning into an owlbear 'early' for a ddramatic fiht scene doesn't seem that much of a stretch.
    I believe it was in Knights of the Dinner Table where someone said "Master the rules, don't let the rules master you". One of the best bits of advice for RPG gaming, IMO. Rules should never get in the way of a good story or a fun possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Only Asmodeus-inspired tieflings have solid eye colors, by necessity:
    The first two quotes are from SCAG, so 5e, and the last one is from Races of Faerun, so 3.5e.
    And you could always be descended from a Vaporighu. For the really low brow humor.

Looks like a decent turn off your brain and enjoy film, the owlbear actually looks pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of the soundtrack, makes it look like a Guardians of the galaxy knock off rather than DnD, i want lutes dammit!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Only Asmodeus-inspired tieflings have solid eye colors, by necessity:

Emphasis mine:

The first two quotes are from SCAG, so 5e, and the last one is from Races of Faerun, so 3.5e.
    Do.. you realize you just confirmed what i said right?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Do.. you realize you just confirmed what i said right?
    How do you figure that?

You claimed the character has no devilish features despite the horns being a very obvious sign, and as noted in what that poster quoted abnormal eyes are only indicative of particular tiefling ancestry, not something that ALL tieflings have.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    How do you figure that?

You claimed the character has no devilish features despite the horns being a very obvious sign, and as noted in what that poster quoted abnormal eyes are only indicative of particular tiefling ancestry, not something that ALL tieflings have.
    No.

The character have no devilish features, those horns are normal animal horns, like i said, a satyr.

The abnormal eyes are a thing for all tieflings, some have catlike eyes.

then i proceed to explain taking a portrait of older editions - like the old in 3.5 - was a bad move, taking account the general idea of tiefling is a race with stronger traits, rather than just a lady with horns.

TBH, this seems like they did this way to ride the popularity of Vox machina show, with the druid being a copy of Keyleth.

No.

The character have no devilish features, those horns are normal animal horns, like i said, a satyr.

The abnormal eyes are a thing for all tieflings, some have catlike eyes.

then i proceed to explain taking a portrait of older editions - like the old in 3.5 - was a bad move, taking account the general idea of tiefling is a race with stronger traits, rather than just a lady with horns.

TBH, this seems like they did this way to ride the popularity of Vox machina show, with the druid being a copy of Keyleth.
    You do realize that historically devil horns derive from animal horns (goat horns specifically), right? There’s no real distinction. Animal horns, devil horns, satyr horns. All the same. The character’s horns are, without a doubt, a devilish feature.

Maybe you need to reread what that poster quoted again since it’s very clear that solid color eyes are Asmodeus features, cat eyes come from Rakshasa origin, and some tieflings have only a single defining devilish feature (in this case it’s the horns).

If you think they should have gone farther with the tiefling features that’s fine, but this character is still in line with what a tiefling can look like.

As the previous poster said, the entire concept of horns on devils derives from the fact that they were associated with animals such as goats, just as satyrs are. Many popular depictions of demons show them as having goat eyes. Baphomet is very strongly associated with goats, mostly being depicted based on the Sabbatic Goat image.

I also find this unlikely since the animated show for Vox Machina only came out a few months ago, while the D&D movie has been in production for years now. Early images of Keyleth look quite different from her current appearance. It should also be noted that Keyleth is wearing a helmet made of branches, not horns.

7+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that historically devil horns derive from animal horns (goat horns specifically), right? There’s no real distinction. Animal horns, devil horns, satyr horns. All the same. The character’s horns are, without a doubt, a devilish feature.
    Again, there is a difference in the normal tiefling horns people see comapred to just a horn in the head, like this:

And, the horn color is usually the same color of the tiefling itself, coming from the eyebrowns region of the head, again, it does not look like a tiefling.

Maybe you need to reread what that poster quoted again since it’s very clear that solid color eyes are Asmodeus features, cat eyes come from Rakshasa origin, and some tieflings have only a single defining devilish feature (in this case it’s the horns).
    Nope, it says all eyes are weird.

If you think they should have gone farther with the tiefling features that’s fine, but this character is still in line with what a tiefling can look like.
    About the skin color, yes, the rest, not so much, and since almost no one realize it at the first glance, it means they should have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    As the previous poster said, the entire concept of horns on devils derives from the fact that they were associated with animals such as goats, just as satyrs are. Many popular depictions of demons show them as having goat eyes. Baphomet is very strongly associated with goats, mostly being depicted based on the Sabbatic Goat image.
    I know that, but there is clearly distinctions between an animal and a devil person.

I also find this unlikely since the animated show for Vox Machina only came out a few months ago, while the D&D movie has been in production for years now. Early images of Keyleth look quite different from her current appearance. It should also be noted that Keyleth is wearing a helmet made of branches, not horns.
    I don't think its too much of a bother to change figurine when they start filming, and the character is way older, basically redhead druid wearing green. It is a basic troop, so what not.

The "helmet" are antlers though..

Again, there is a difference in the normal tiefling horns people see comapred to just a horn in the head, like this:

And, the horn color is usually the same color of the tiefling itself, coming from the eyebrowns region of the head, again, it does not look like a tiefling.
    It doesn't matter what the most common tiefling look is (both the ones you posted are pretty clearly Asmodeus based tieflings), there's no stipulation that the characters must all be the most generic versions of their class/race. This is just your personal hangup and no one else cares.

Nope, it says all eyes are weird.
    English must not be your first language then. I'm not going to keep arguing with you on this because the quotes are exceedingly clear. If you lack the reading comprehension to understand that then I can't help you.

7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter what the most common tiefling look is (both the ones you posted are pretty clearly Asmodeus based tieflings), there's no stipulation that the characters must all be the most generic versions of their class/race. This is just your personal hangup and no one else cares.

English must not be your first language then. I'm not going to keep arguing with you on this because the quotes are exceedingly clear. If you lack the reading comprehension to understand that then I can't help you.
    i think its funny that you are trying to lecture me about that, tiefling lore is different among many editions, so you need to say what version you are trying to talk about, cause "all tieflings" in some points tie their origins to Asmodeus, in some points tieflings are all devil-ish only, so there was no raskhsta ones.

And yes what a race common look like does it matter, when you see a race or a creature on the screen you should know at glance, what it is.

when is aw the dwarves i immediately knew they were dwarves, when i saw a mimic i immediately knew it was a mimic, despite mimics coming in all shapes and forms, they went with the classic one shaped as a treasure box, when i saw the weird bear with the head of a owl i knew it was an owlbear.

When i saw her, and almost all the people who watched the trailer immediately though about an elf, because her eyes and ears, not a tiefling, thus, the depiction is off, the is no point in making a fucking tiefling and just don't make it a tiefling.

And you are being way pedant to think no one cares about it, maybe you don't care, but i don't care about what you think, you are free to think its fine and im free to think its dogshit.

Tiefling horns come in a variety of shapes, colours, and sizes

Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-26 at 10:12 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Tiefling horns come in a variety of shapes, colours, and sizes
    I know that, but none of this is official art, like the ones i posted.

What i say is usually tiefling horns come from the forehead and eyebrows region

I know that, but none of this is official art, like the ones i posted.

What i say is usually tiefling horns come from the forehead and eyebrows region
    And yet if you look in the players handbook on page 42:

Tieflings have large horns that take any of a variety of shapes: some have curling horns like a ram, others have straight and tall horns like a gazelle’s, and some spiral upward like an antelopes’ horns.
    Is that Official enough?

Also, funny thing...have you looked at the eyes of your "official" tieflings?
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-26 at 11:06 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

/snip
    We can go round and round with this, but the fact of the matter is tieflings have a variety of options available as far as features go ("totally human looking but with small horns" being one of them) and since the people behind the movies didn't specify which edition they were strictly sticking to (if any) then all options are on the table. Now, if the character claims to be a tiefling of Asmodeus then you'd have a point. Until then, tough luck.

But basically it all boils down to YOU misidentified what the character was (while a lot of people didn't) and that pissed you off. Cool story, bro.

none of this is official art
    It's really worth mentioning that part of the greatness of D&D is that there really is no "official" anything, every table has its own rules and images and everything. It's kind of the point of D&D that the rules are actually more like guidelines and every group should throw out or change anything that doesn't work for that group. Even in "official" materials, changes happen all the time (such as there no longer really being evil races).

"Master the rules, don't let the rules master you". That should be the quote on every DM screen, everywhere.

D&D is a living system, changing and adapting not only in the published material but at every table where it's played. This movie is just another table.

We can go round and round with this, but the fact of the matter is tieflings have a variety of options available as far as features go ("totally human looking but with small horns" being one of them) and since the people behind the movies didn't specify which edition they were strictly sticking to (if any) then all options are on the table. Now, if the character claims to be a tiefling of Asmodeus then you'd have a point. Until then, tough luck.

But basically it all boils down to YOU misidentified what the character was (while a lot of people didn't) and that pissed you off. Cool story, bro.
    In fact, if you want to be specific, a druid shapeshifting into a monstrosity like an owlbear is only available in older editions.......the same older editions which say tieflings can look "almost human except for any one feature." IE, horns, in this case. Druids in 5e can only shapeshift into beasts, or, in a certain subclass, elementals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And yet if you look in the players handbook on page 42:

Is that Official enough?
    Ok, where in the quote it says it does not start in the forehead?

Also, funny thing...have you looked at the eyes of your "official" tieflings?
    Yes, they don't look like normal human eyes

- - - Updated - - -

We can go round and round with this
    I mean, it is you that is going round and round with this, i already made my point and position very clear in the first post about this.

I said it was a bad depiction of a tiefling to be put on the movie, regardless if they could look like that in older editions, because its not how the general public knows then, its not how tieflings are depicted in the common media, etc.

If someone said they immediately identified that as a tiefling, in the first watch of the trailer, they are lying, simple as that.

And who said a thing about "pissed off"? i just said i didn't like, i dunno why mmo champion have so many randons trying to say how your subjective opinion is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    It's really worth mentioning that part of the greatness of D&D is that there really is no "official" anything, every table has its own rules and images and everything. It's kind of the point of D&D that the rules are actually more like guidelines and every group should throw out or change anything that doesn't work for that group. Even in "official" materials, changes happen all the time (such as there no longer really being evil races).

"Master the rules, don't let the rules master you". That should be the quote on every DM screen, everywhere.

D&D is a living system, changing and adapting not only in the published material but at every table where it's played. This movie is just another table.
    i know that

but if you put a human with a duck beak and says its an elf, no one will eat that out

All im saying is that is a poor depiction of the race, instead of showing how tieflings are saw in the general media, and how are well know, they went with the shadiest, rare and almost unknown depiction.

When rly some faint red-ish skin color would solve all the problem.

Ok, where in the quote it says it does not start in the forehead?
    Where does it say that they have to? All it says is that they have horns...doesn't specify they all have to have to start in the forehead.

Yes, they don't look like normal human eyes
    But again, according to the PHB:

and their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil.
    See the problem with your "official tiefling art"