Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with this project, but from the one still you've posted....it does look cheap.
    A teenage girl made it by herself. What did you expect it to look like?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Batman has always been a Dumb Idea, he is just a human and Could literally be killed instantly by anyone else in the DC universe that has even a slight super human ability. But then to try and throw a woman in the same role is even less believable.
    Jesus man you were already getting the worst take award with the first sentence. Why you'd have to go and make it sexist too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus man you were already getting the worst take award with the first sentence. Why you'd have to go and make it sexist too?
    I guess it's fine if it's a first pass at a costume. But don't use it in your promotional material, show the final costume. If it's the only costume, that's not great. Even Toby Maguire's Peter Parker had iterated on his sweatsuit costume in the wrestling match to a real costume by the end of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Their new boss, (Zaslaw?) or w/e his name is is canceling a lot of movies atm because he doesn't believe in them and by doing this they will get a tax cut. In other words, he believes getting tax cuts will give them more money than marketing these movies and releasing them.
    Not impossible, given how lately marketing budgets end up higher than production costs...
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    I agree. Sartorial realism is of CRUCIAL importance to me, especially in a movie where that same teenage girl performs feats of superhuman agility, strength, and endurance ever 2.7 seconds. We cannot have her sew something too professional, it would break all immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Their new boss, (Zaslaw?) or w/e his name is is canceling a lot of movies atm because he doesn't believe in them and by doing this they will get a tax cut. In other words, he believes getting tax cuts will give them more money than marketing these movies and releasing them.
    I think there must be a little more to it than just marketing costs though... because they could just dump it on HBOMAX without any fanfare. I think a lot of it comes to him not wanting the begining of his new reign as the head of Discover Warner to be associated with the kind of failure this movie seems like it would have been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Apparently Warner are quietly removing DC stuff from HBO Max, leading people to think they're just trying to wind the service down/outright kill it.

Can anyone confirm things are being removed? We don't get the service over here to check. Seems like an odd thing to do, tbh.
    They did remove some DC stuff back in February...but that seems to have been more about pre-existing deals than any kind of anti-DC agenda.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...ax-this-month/

A total of nine DC movies are leaving HBO Max on Feb. 28, 2022. As HBO Max is still relatively new, it remains beholden to pre-existing licensing agreements which keep much of WB’s back catalogue from being permanently available to stream. These nine superhero flicks will undoubtedly return to the platform eventually, then, but for now they’re headed elsewhere.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

To me, seems like they are trying to relaunch DC, make it more blockbustery and less CW spin-offy.

I'm okay with it. Sometimes one just has to stop throwing good money after bad. Reality is they decided to change direction after this was already in production and decided that the short term profit/loss was not relevant in comparison to continued damage to the brand(especially the Batman brand). So it was cancelled.

I just wish some of the big game publishers would worry less about the profit and loss of each individual game, and more about the long term health of their brand's public opinion. We as humans have a hard time seeing the forest for the trees, and sometimes we are even legally required to only focus on the trees, but a good gameplan for the future will often ignore the individual trees entirely. This movie is a tree. DC is refusing the harm the forest to save it. GOOD. I know yall are bored and desperate for anything to watch, but DC shouldn't really damage the bat brand any further just to give you 2 hours of crap movies, go watch all the old movies and TV shows you have never seen that are great, like Sopranos, The Wire, Star Trek TNG, or Deadwood. You are probably better off never seeing Batgirl.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-08-03 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I just wish some of the big game publishers would worry less about the profit and loss of each individual game, and more about the long term health of their brand's public opinion.
    That's a tough sell, though. A lot of investors are short to medium term now - they tend to frequently hop from company to company, milking hype spikes for profit and then moving on. Which is only exacerbated by an industry as volatile as video game creation, where one fortuitous Twitch stream can catapult you to the top, and one bad YouTube review can torpedo you to the ground.

The result is that companies reliant on that kind of backing tend to adjust their process accordingly, worrying far more about extracting maximum profit in the short/medium term than they are about long-term viability. Even big publishers aren't immune to this anymore, and need to appease a growing crowd of concerned investors who want to see returns fast.

Doesn't mean it's impossible to see more long-term projects of course, or that they aren't happening. But it's no coincidence that we see a lot more focus around hype spikes now, and projects are quickly forgotten after that spike passes.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So it was basically a CW-grade movie? Doesn't surprise me that it got canned, especially if WB allowed that terrible Batgirl show to go on beyond one and a half seasons after ratings took a jump off mount Everest. Shame really, because Batgirl had potential, but they need to start putting these projects in the hands of people who are actually competent and can make a good quality, entertaining product.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    So it was basically a CW-grade movie? Doesn't surprise me that it got canned, especially if WB allowed that terrible Batgirl show to go on beyond one and a half seasons after ratings took a jump off mount Everest. Shame really, because Batgirl had potential, but they need to start putting these projects in the hands of people who are actually competent and can make a good quality, entertaining product.
    Once again, there is a difference between Batgirl and Batwoman...two completely different identities
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Have to wait and see with what happens with Shazam 2, and Black Adam. Dwayne Johnson is being pretty pushy about continuing his role. And depending on how well Black Adam does, WB will either push back, or let him have his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    As a CPA, thats not true. Especially if they just release it to HBO Max, they wouldn't have to release the viewership numbers to the public. From an accounting stand point they lost 90M on this film. It costs next to nothing to throw it on a streaming service. There's a lot of creative accounting in the movie business but this decision doesn't give any advantage on the books.

Edit: I have also read the articles on using this as a tax write off and its a bit laughable. The costs are already a tax write off. The revenue would be taxed but not at a rate greater than 100%. I would assume they would aggressively amortize the costs as they wouldn't expect a lot of staying power from the film.
    From what was mentioned elsewhere, it's a different accounting because of the merger stuff, but no one is very specific about it so who knows how true it is. As you say "we get to write it off" doesn't mean "we get 100$ of the money back", but maybe there's some other tricky accounting at play.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I really wanted to see that movie and I actualy like the actress they picked for Barbara, she was awesome in "In the heights" and the rest of the cast looked good to me too, TBH. I honestly don't see anything wrong with her costume. it looks like a motorcycle suit which makes perfect sense in context for it to actualy look that way.

and the thing is... they cannot monetize it if they write it off, doesn't mean they cannot release it for free. but they will not because they are assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe there's some background politics but you kind of have to respect them for the move if the movie is just bad. They could have have plugged their nose and released it anyway to still make money. They release simultaneously on HBOMax anyway so it would have gotten views.

If they want to clean up the DC franchise (which really is not bad anymore) then they can't just be releasing half assed stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Have to wait and see with what happens with Shazam 2, and Black Adam. Dwayne Johnson is being pretty pushy about continuing his role. And depending on how well Black Adam does, WB will either push back, or let him have his way.
    Black Adam looks so generic it might kill (well take the steam out off) the superhero genre, which already showing signs of fatigue.

That's just me. Interested in the concept but not what I've seen in the promos.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how awful the show was thank god. DC films are a pile of shit anyway.

If I haven't gotten infracted for memes before, i would be posting that image of Ben Affleck smoking right now. you know the one.

Batwoman and Batgirl are NOT the same character. show had nothing to do with the movie. it was not made by the same people, nor did it use the same actors. for goodness sakes...

also according to what I've been reading at least the movie is fine. its not bad. its not great. its maybe mediocre to ok. so yeah, i would have liked to have seen it, personaly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post

I think it's the snyderverse part that hurts the relations most.
    I thought it was when John whatever his dame don, start doing his thing for the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Looking the traillers alone, Black Adam might be fok to watch and Shazam 2 is a pile of garbage same level Thor love and thunder trying to be a comedy movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, the guy from the Discovery Network is killing content for HBO Max. I wonder if fans will like drinking piss more than Bear Grylls.
    Government Affiliated Snark

If the new Discovery WB strategy is to make great blockbuster DC films, awesome, but since they seem to think HBO Max is not a priority, that's $15 a month I'll start spending on something else if the streaming service starts lacking new original DC content. Chiefly animated features like Justice Society of America, new Young Justice seasons, and theatrical releases 45 days after release day.

Sure as hell not going to keep shelling out $15 for old content.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Looking the traillers alone, Black Adam might be fok to watch and Shazam 2 is a pile of garbage same level Thor love and thunder trying to be a comedy movie.
    the first Shazam was a kid's comedy...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    If the new Discovery WB strategy is to make great blockbuster DC films, awesome, but since they seem to think HBO Max is not a priority, that's $15 a month I'll start spending on something else if the streaming service starts lacking new original DC content. Chiefly animated features like Justice Society of America, new Young Justice seasons, and theatrical releases 45 days after release day.

Sure as hell not going to keep shelling out $15 for old content.
    I think the current meta is frequent cancel/resub patterns anyway. Since a lot of new content comes out in clusters rather than continuously, there's always something you aggregate and watch on a one or two month sub, then cancel again until the next one. Old content you can just watch alongside the clusters, and if your interests are diverse enough you'll always have SOME sub running.

Been working great for me so far, I rarely pay for more than a month on any streaming service and still never run out of stuff to watch. The only thing that I keep running is Amazon Prime, but that's not for streaming.