Poll: Which one do you think will be the end-game boss of Dragonflight?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who do you think will the the End Game Boss for Dragonflight?

We know that Chromatus, Murazond and Galakrond are the best candidates for the end-game boss. Which one do you think would probably be it, though? Or do you have someone else in mind?

Chromatus

Chromatus on WOWpedia

Murazond

Murozond on WOWpedia

Galakrond

Galakrond on WOWpedia

Last edited by Jekyll; 2022-08-13 at 03:36 AM.

Would be cool if the final encounter wasn't a boss fight.

I imagine of the three it will probably be Galakrond.

Chromatus never had a huge impact on WoW itself, since he was only ever in a book and I don't think he's ever been brought up in the game proper.

Murozond we know the circumstances of his death, so if he's the "final" boss of the expansion it would end with him escaping so we can kill him in the End Times later (earlier?), which wouldn't feel good to not get to bump off an expansion's main baddie (side-eyes Garrosh).

Galakrond is something that's known of in-game, talked about a fair deal, and is a thematic existential threat to everything, not just the dragons, so his return, however they do it, would set him up best as the final boss.

I think that we will deal with all of them in DF, but I see Galakrond as the final boss, Chromatus in 10.1 or 10.2, and Murozond as a raid boss that stays alive and lead us to the next expansion.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Murozond is the only one who is not obscenely over-the-top massive so I think it's him because I hate it when you're either not really fighting the boss and it's just an add fight or it's so huge you're only hitting the legs. But maybe that's just a bitter melee player talking.

By strength level, Chromatus is easily the strongest of the three. For story purposes I'd want Odyn but we've already fought him TWICE. The question is, what is the overarching story?

The main question at the end of the current zones seems to be why is the Mother Oathstone not working. Raszageth did something to it or is it inactive for a different reason? I assume at the end of the raid Raszageth is down but the other three Primals are released. Having them as raid bosses would feel repetitive though. I can see them bringing back Galakrond but this time he is a stronger version and then he could work as a final boss of the expansion.

Murozond and the Infinites I see as a secondary story running through the expac and setting up the next expansion, whatever that may be. I don't see him dying though? What is the point of killing a creature that can move through time? We might be able to seal/trap him as a mid tier boss (third if we get four tiers).

While I'd love to see Chromatus, I am not sure about his storyline. He would not be an ally to Primalists or Infinites but he COULD be an ally to the Sundered Flame weyrn of the Dracthyr (after all Dracthyr are the first succesful experiment in a chromatic flight and Chromatus is the apex chromatic dragon; he very much is the ArchEvoker). So that could be an interesting story but it's a curious one to pursue now (it would really justify the suspicion of Alliance and Horde); it would also be a story that works well for a max level version of their starting zone. Still it can also be something used on a later expansion, creating a new lasting enemy for the factions that has a distinctive army and a really strong leader (Chromatus was the equal of four Aspects at full power).

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    We know that Chromatus, Murazond and Galakrond are the best candidates for the end-game boss. Which one do you think would probably be it, though? Or do you have someone else in mind?

Chromatus

Chromatus on WOWpedia

Murazond

Murozond on WOWpedia

Galakrond

Galakrond on WOWpedia

In raw power Chromatus easily beats the other two, in terms of cosmic implications Murozond is unmatched, while Galakrond is just a big dragon.
    He's more fit for a background threat than as a boss, we're smaller than his toes, too big to really count as a contender for a straightforward bossfight, given Deathwing's reception.

Personally? I think it would be Y'shaarj.
    The only truly destroyed old god, returning after millenia via the "long route" after regenerating from the void.

He knows Azeroth's location, the old gods are known to arrive as meteors slamming into planets, the red star above Darkshore has been expanding for a while now, and it would perfectly serve as an event to upend the current geography of Azeroth and allow them to convincingly refill the world again, one part at a time.

Additionally we've seen plenty of activity from the old gods after their deaths; C'thun warped Cho'gall and has been bathing in Azerite, Yogg-Saron's bodily extensions in the form of the faceless were out and about in Ulduar during Legion (and his body that extends through Northrend got a pretty nice azerite infusion thanks to the jailer using icecrown citadel, made of saronite, as a conduit to sap Azeroth), Xal'Atath (or perhaps just "Atath" as "Xal" means "tool" or "weapon" in Shathyar) is freely roaming, and of course everything points to N'zoth having contingency plans for contingency plans.

Oh and the elements can't exactly shake their ties to the old gods that easily, between decay magic rising up even for gnolls to use and crazy elemental dragon cults i'd say everything points towards an old god as the final boss.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like the 4th thread on this topic in a 30 days.

I genuinely do not understand where the fascination with Galakrond and Chromatus comes from. They are literal mindless animals. I can see them as major big bosses in the final raid (like the dinosaur from SoO), but the end boss is usually the villain who carries the expansion with their actions, their plots, their schemes, and their goals. Mindless animals can't plot or have goals so they won't work.

Murozond would be the best choice because he's not some raging beast, he's manipulative and cunning and has been working for years to alter the timelines and ensure the victory of his masters, the Old Gods. I think he is objectively better than the other two.

As a side note, while I don't agree with the complaints, many people did criticize Deathwing for being a dumb beast and a disappointing antagonist. So personality matters for your main villain, not just their power level. Murozond might be an ant compared to Galakrond or Chromatus but they can build an interesting personality for him, centred around his allegiance to the Old Gods and the Void, but also his connection with Nozdormu, who is actually his pure past self.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Would be cool if the final encounter wasn't a boss fight.
    yep, agree.

would find it super cool, if it’s something everyone (via quests and open world stuff) could work towards. like the opening of Ahn Qiraj in classic, or something like that. a long, big, slow, giant boss fight against a giant Galakrond, over weeks. in example.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    yep, agree.

would find it super cool, if it’s something everyone (via quests and open world stuff) could work towards. like the opening of Ahn Qiraj in classic, or something like that. a long, big, slow, giant boss fight against a giant Galakrond, over weeks. in example.
    I'll say this. There is absolutely no reason why the end of each storyline needs to happen in a raid.

I vote Tiamat. Followed then by some rando or Horde/Alliance leader who breaks bad.

How about all 3? Council fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'll say this. There is absolutely no reason why the end of each storyline needs to happen in a raid.
    As a raider i completely agree with this.

I'm fine with the raids being less important storywise.

It could do some great thigns for the actual day to day gameplay of wow to get some actua lmeaningful story stuff in the open world.

Think who ever it is, maybe at about 1/4 the way through the fight, the whole place starts shaking and stuff falls down.... Then all of the players are frozen and stop...

The boss says "what powerful magic are you casting to make the whole place shake like that"

One NPC that's with you says "What? We thought it was you casting that"..

Suddenly a cinematic plays, and it zooms out to the world, which cracks apart, destroying everything on it....

The world soul was born.....

Cinematic stops....

fades to black

and a message scrolling up saying "GAME OVER"

and the credits scroll up...

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Think who ever it is, maybe at about 1/4 the way through the fight, the whole place starts shaking and stuff falls down.... Then all of the players are frozen and stop...

The boss says "what powerful magic are you casting to make the whole place shake like that"

One NPC that's with you says "What? We thought it was you casting that"..

Suddenly a cinematic plays, and it zooms out to the world, which cracks apart, destroying everything on it....

The world soul was born.....

Cinematic stops....

fades to black

and a message scrolling up saying "GAME OVER"

and the credits scroll up...
    I do like the "Wait, we thought that was you!?" bit.
    I feel like it should be added regardless of it being used for a final boss.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm certain that it's Galakrond. He's the obvious big-bad dragon. The foe that the Aspect fought in the past.

But IDK how they would bring him back. He's a skeleton in Dragonlight. I can't see them making him into a Frostwyrm (Protowyrm? Frostdrake? What colour "flight" of proto-drakes was he part of?), because that would require an immense power source and individual to raise, considering it took LK/Frostmourne to raise Sindragosa. And I feel like a Frostwyrm would cheapen him.

So how would they fleshify him? Wowpedia says that Tyr hinted that he cause Galakrond to change and mutate, so might there be a flesh sample in his Vault/s? What even happened to Galakrond's soul/spirit? Was it consumed by Death?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    As a raider i completely agree with this.

I'm fine with the raids being less important storywise.

It could do some great thigns for the actual day to day gameplay of wow to get some actua lmeaningful story stuff in the open world.
    I mean you could have the final boss in a story be part of questing and then have them available as repeating content in a Mage Tower style solo challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    i would go even a slight bit further (and i say this as a hc/m raider for 10+ years): one of the biggest errors Blizz ever did, was starting to link an xpac‘s story to raids. telling the overall arch of an xpacs story is a job of quests, cinematics and open world / character content. not of raids. ofc should raids have some (side) story. but the general story (incl. the major threads and iconic characters) should imo never been told in raids.

just solely think about LFR. you can argue about LFR whatever you want. good or bad. but Blizz created 1 more constraint for themselves, with linking raids and story. regardless what you think about LFR, they have added a constraint: „when we tell a story in raids, there has to be a way so everyone can see the story, so there must be a way everyone can raid“. and this is just 1 example of many many previously discussed problems, or problematic constraints Blizz created, in older threads.

imo this leaded, over more than the last decade now, to a LOT of problems, wow would not have, if they had not linked story and raids in the first place.

if i had been Blizz, i had never did this, from day1, or at least after WotLK. imo this did nothing good to the evolution of the game.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-08-13 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    i would go even a slight bit further (and i say this as a hc/m raider for 10+ years): one of the biggest errors Blizz ever did, was starting to link an xpac‘s story to raids. telling the overall arch of an xpacs story is a job of quests, cinematics and open world / character content. not of raids. ofc should raids have some (side) story. but the general story (incl. the major threads and iconic characters) should imo never been told in raids.

just solely think about LFR. you can argue about LFR whatever you want. good or bad. but Blizz created 1 more constraint for themselves, with linking raids and story. regardless what you think about LFR, they have added a constraint: „when we tell a story in raids, there has to be a way so everyone can see the story, so there must be a way everyone can raid“. and this is just 1 example of many many previously discussed problems, or problematic constraints Blizz created, in older threads.

imo this leaded, over more than the last decade now, to a LOT of problems, wow would not have, if they had not linked story and raids in the first place.

if i had been Blizz, i had never did this, from day1, or at least after WotLK. imo this did nothing good to the evolution of the game.
    That sounds an awful lot like a "LFR bad" post with not much else of substance. You don't even explain why LFR existing is a negative result of this, and other than that just say "lot of problems" with no clear indication of what you're talking about.

Not like having completely disconnected raids would be better.