Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    This may come as a shock to you...but The Hulk is also CGI....
    Oh yeah, the hulk, he was even before Thanos. The worst CGI I've seen in the MCU has to be the Black Panther fighting scene, which wasn't motion capture afaik, and Bruce's head popping out of the hulkbuster. That was so jarring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Why would they do that? The other actors are human, it looks out of place.
    Because there are practical limits on technology, particularly within functional price ranges.

It's still orders of magnitude better than what could have been done 20 years ago with a full film budget, let alone earlier. In the end, CGI's just a tool that helps to tell the story, quibbling about the finer details isn't particularly meaningful criticism. It's just saying "if they had more money and took more time, it could've been better", but that's true of basically anything. Should we go back and shit on Star Wars for obvious compositing errors in the effects (as in; errors that were errors in that time and place, with their technological limitations in mind, not criticism from modern techniques), or does the story win out regardless?
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-09-02 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because there are practical limits on technology, particularly within functional price ranges.
    But why couldn't they just hire an actress that can switch between being 5'3 and 6'7 at will? :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    But why couldn't they just hire an actress that can switch between being 5'3 and 6'7 at will? :P
    A lot of people also seem to not understand that budgets exist, and they can't spend infinite dollars to get things "perfect". Everyone cuts corners where they can. Most of the improvements we see are improvements in the underlying tech that let effects companies do more within the same budgets.

Could the CGI be better? Sure. Is it distracting from the story? Not in any way that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    I'd love to watch you read a book one day. Any fucking book. I imagine you open it, read the first page, then slam it to the ground and whine and complain for weeks on end about how there's no story or character development.

Because that's what you're fucking doing here.
    You'd like to watch me read a book? Currently re-reading the Wheel of Time, because the show adaptation was so bad it made me want to enjoy a story that wasn't butchered. Reading Shogun next.

Though I suppose, given the type of show you like watching, seeing someone reading probably would be entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    You'd like to watch me read a book? Currently re-reading the Wheel of Time, because the show adaptation was so bad it made me want to enjoy a story that wasn't butchered. Reading Shogun next.

Though I suppose, given the type of show you like watching, seeing someone reading probably would be entertainment.
    I think you missed their point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I think you missed their point.
    He probably only read the first line...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    He probably only read the first line...
    no, he watched a youtube video of someone reacting to the first line but they actually got the first line completely wrong.

Y
    You'll have to forgive him...there's been a lot of complaining about the show by people that clearly haven't watched the show... or if they have...they must have been under the influeence of some high grade hallucinogens...because they are talking about things that did not happen.
    They're obviously waiting on quarter-pounder, critical drunkard, Ben "My cousin Mara has more talent in her pinky finger than I could dream of achieving and women don't get wet" Shapiro and other far right sources to tell them what to think of the show instead of actually watching it. It's the only explanation now. Even after being shown what's actually happened in the show in this thread they deny it happening.

Why is superhero prison a pile of triangles?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Why is superhero prison a pile of triangles?
    It's not a superhero prison...it's a supervillain prison :P

A lot of people also seem to not understand that budgets exist, and they can't spend infinite dollars to get things "perfect". Everyone cuts corners where they can. Most of the improvements we see are improvements in the underlying tech that let effects companies do more within the same budgets.

Could the CGI be better? Sure. Is it distracting from the story? Not in any way that I can see.
    I mean, i'm not going to ask the showrunners to use make-up gamora style and different filming methods to deal with the difference in size, at least not for this kind of show (a sitcom), but saying that the CGI looks bad is fair criticism and totally compatible with knowing that budgets exist, even if is not as bad as to be distracting.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

10+ Year Old Account
    The CGI doesn't look bad. Is it top off the bill? No, but for sitcom purposes it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    The CGI doesn't look bad. Is it top off the bill? No, but for sitcom purposes it's okay.
    It kind of helps that the things they're CGIing are meaningful narratively, or even just sequentially in terms of action. It's not like it's a Bay/Snyder explosionfest where we're just here to look at pretty colors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    It kind of helps that the things they're CGIing are meaningful narratively, or even just sequentially in terms of action. It's not like it's a Bay/Snyder explosionfest where we're just here to look at pretty colors.
    Now you mention it, it could use a little lens flare. There's no such thing as too much lens flare.

Are you crazy ? JJ Abrams could hear you and take over a Marvel show

The overarching problem is that people would probably have less issues with the CGI if we could see the budget being used well in other places... like the writing. Even from the writers' own mouths, one can easily glean they were not the people for this job, and the show reflects that when it comes to the 'legal comedy' that it claims to be. From everything that's been presented thus far, this feels like an insanely wasteful use of funds that could've gone to something else.

It's highly likely that everything was rushed just to get content out, quality be damned. We've already gotten behind-the-scenes stories from the people working on these Marvel projects, from the CGI artists to the writers/directors themselves, about how haphazard this phase of Marvel really is. The situation surrounding Dr. Strange 2's script is insane but is slowly becoming the norm at Marvel, which really explains why that movie (along with many of these projects) are horrible: there is no direction and/or things constantly get thrown out and changed at the last second. Add on that CGI takes time (to where CGI battles are created before the scripts of these shows are anywhere close to complete, assuming they don't get thrown out several times and/or redrafted), all you get is weak content with weak CGI.

Unfortunately, we're going to keep getting trash tier content as long as people praise and demand more of it. There seems to be an increasing trend of people finally waking up to what's been going on for a long time, and it will eventually start hurting Disney financially more to where they will have to make a course correction.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The CGI *is* a problem, but it's not unique to She-Hulk, it has been plagueing Marvel for years.

The core issue is that Marvel/Disney simply isn't giving the animators either the time nor the resources that they need. Marvel projects are infamous for being crunch heavy, and so the CGI has been and looks rushed for years.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Another solid episode. The fightscene was amusing, she really couldnt care less

Great engagement for three straight weeks.