Page 1 of 2
LastLast

We need more people to vote.

My state of Texas is notorious for having low voter turnout, but honestly, the US as a whole has a PITIFUL voter turnout.

The 2020 election had the largest voter turnout of the 21st century, but 80 million Americans STILL didn’t vote.

How do we get more people to vote?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You make it easier.

Vote on a Saturday or Sunday.
    Have easily accessible early voting for everyone.
    Automatic registration for the non party based elections.
    Have plenty of voting locations on voting day and have people know which is theirs.

Etc
    - Lars

Remember to vote this November! Get everyone you know to vote as well. And if for whatever reason, you or someone you know can't make it to a poll, get someone to drive you or them to the polls.

People don't turn out to vote because we have a political party (republicans) dedicated to making it as hard to vote as possible because they haven't won the popular vote in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    People don't turn out to vote because we have a political party (republicans) dedicated to making it as hard to vote as possible because they haven't won the popular vote in decades.
    Voting is pretty easy. The last thing we need is anyone that's too retarded to pull it off being added to the voting pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Voting is pretty easy. The last thing we need is anyone that's too retarded to pull it off being added to the voting pool.
    That's not true, Do you not remember the long hours long lines states like Georgia and Florida have every single election year? Some of these lines take 24 hours not to mention republicans going after mail in voting, drive thru voting, drop boxes, cutting voting hours and sites, early voting. That's not even going into states that stop former felons from voting, I doubt you don't know you just choose to ignore it.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2022-09-17 at 02:39 PM.

Voting on a Sunday/make election days national holidays seems like the bare minimum. Finding a way to issue a national ID for all citizens for free at a federal level and just have them available to pick up a few years before the age of majority, with a simple way to have them reissued also seems like something the wealthiest nation on the planet should be able to handle.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-09-17 at 02:36 PM.

First of all: you're not an American, are you?

Second: one vote per person, I don't think Texas has any limitation about a certain intelligence needed to be eligible.

While the gop is more interested in making it more difficult to vote, they have given every reason to make people more desirous to vote.

I am lucky in my state that I get my ballot in the mail, I can fill it out, and either mail it in or drop it off at a drop box at my local library or other places. The whole country needs to be able to vote this way. More people would vote. It would be more convenient to vote. I would bet that the current regime in texas does not want people to be able to vote like that.

Yikes. Poster just out saying he doesn’t think the mentally handicapped should be able to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I am lucky in my state that I get my ballot in the mail, I can fill it out, and either mail it in or drop it off at a drop box at my local library or other places. The whole country needs to be able to vote this way. More people would vote. It would be more convenient to vote. I would bet that the current regime in texas does not want people to be able to vote like that.
    This is a very easy dichotomy to understand but so many people want to see it as ‘the people I disagree with are bad’. Convenience i.e. freedom is at odds with security i.e. fraud prevention or more realistically mistake prevention. More convenience, more fraud/mistakes. Less convenience, less fraud/mistakes. And the disagreement arises over where to tune that dial. Compounding this issue is a paucity of data surrounding the effectiveness of proposed policy or lack thereof. But it’s certainly not ‘we don’t want x group of people voting’ at large because any proposed restriction at a state or federal level affects the whole population by design.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    This is a very easy dichotomy to understand but so many people want to see it as ‘the people I disagree with are bad’. Convenience i.e. freedom is at odds with security i.e. fraud prevention or more realistically mistake prevention. More convenience, more fraud/mistakes. Less convenience, less fraud/mistakes. And the disagreement arises over where to tune that dial. Compounding this issue is a paucity of data surrounding the effectiveness of proposed policy or lack thereof. But it’s certainly not ‘we don’t want x group of people voting’ at large because any proposed restriction at a state or federal level affects the whole population by design.
    If this is true, show it to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Mm, no, gerrymandering exists.

That's not true, Do you not remember the long hours long lines states like Georgia and Florida have every single election year? Some of these lines take 24 hours not to mention republicans going after mail in voting, drive thru voting, drop boxes, cutting voting hours and sites, early voting. That's not even going into states that stop former felons from voting, I doubt you don't know you just choose to ignore it.
    Yeah, I suppose it is hard for felons to vote. That seems more like a feature than a bug, but to each their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    First of all: you're not an American, are you?

Second: one vote per person, I don't think Texas has any limitation about a certain intelligence needed to be eligible.
    Yes, I'm American. I've voted in three different states, it's been absolutely trivial in all of them. It's pretty wild that people really want to suggest that their constituents are too stupid to pull off something so straightforward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Yikes. Poster just out saying he doesn’t think the mentally handicapped should be able to vote.
    Wow, just wow, I can't even. Unbelievable that I'd be such a bigot that I think it's probably for the best if we miss out on the wisdom of people with room temperature IQs.

Yeah, I suppose it is hard for felons to vote. That seems more like a feature than a bug, but to each their own.
    So you think it should be a felony to be a minority?

As a resident of NC, I have seen the efforts the GOP has tried to make it hard to impossible to vote.

My person view is that felons should still be allowed to vote, even while in prison. They still live in the area and nation, then the prisons can’t be abused to disenfranchise voters like Florida has done and, if you have so many felons that it can change the outcome of an election, you have bigger problems already.

It also gets rid of prison gerrymandering as we have some districts so bad that over 70% of its voting age is behind bars just so JimBob Hodunk has more power than he deserves as he stole it from Tyrone who is in for selling weed. And even that serial killer in there deserves a vote as he shouldn’t be enough to sway a vote and can’t really vote worse than what the current GOP has been going for.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

So spending over 24 hours on a line in order to vote during your work hours isn't considered an stupid barrier of entry to you?

So spending over 24 hours on a line in order to vote during your work hours isn't considered an stupid barrier of entry to you?
    I think it's terrible that people have to wait in line for 37 days without food or water. Every individual that has done this to uphold our sacred democracy is a true hero.

I think it's terrible that people have to wait in line for 37 days without food or water. Every individual that has done this to uphold our sacred democracy is a true hero.
    Democracy sacred? Didn't take you for a comedian. If it was so sacred we'd treat elections better than the red-headed stepchild we currently do.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I'm American. I've voted in three different states, it's been absolutely trivial in all of them. It's pretty wild that people really want to suggest that their constituents are too stupid to pull off something so straightforward.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, just wow, I can't even. Unbelievable that I'd be such a bigot that I think it's probably for the best if we miss out on the wisdom of people with room temperature IQs.
    Doubling down. Bigger yikes.