Gaming PC - 2.4k budget

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my first gaming pc myself rather than buying a prebuilt.
    I have come up with the following, and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Very interested to hear about any improvements / suggestions.
    I'm also not sure whether I would need to buy a larger case or if this is sufficient. Looking at the dimensions it seems fine?

Budget - 2.4k
    Resolution - 1080p / 1440
    System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc): Gaming mostly + workstation
    If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired? WoW highest, cyberpunk
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Some coding
    Do you plan to overclock? Not really

Budget 2400£

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/p6czW4

CPU: AMD 5800X3D
    CPU Cooler: H150 I Elite Cappelix ------ Not sure whether this is too large, or whether another cooler would be preferred?
    Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB (2x 16 GB DDR4 -3600 CL18
    Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 1tb M.2.-2280 PCIe 4.0
    GPU: Zotac Gaming trinity OC 3080 TI
    Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower ----- In terms of dimensions it all seems compatible, not sure if a larger is preferred?
    PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ gold

I am particularly unsure about the Motherboard, cooling and case.

I have been debating going with Zen4, but the cost does not seem worth the performance compared to the above build?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Last edited by aesthir; 2022-09-28 at 11:30 AM.
    Check out my youtube channel for levelling guides, ancient mana farming spots, mage PoV guides and more!
    Aesthi - Ravencrest EU

Quote Originally Posted by aesthir View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my first gaming pc myself rather than buying a prebuilt.
    I have come up with the following, and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Very interested to hear about any improvements / suggestions.
    I'm also not sure whether I would need to buy a larger case or if this is sufficient. Looking at the dimensions it seems fine?

Budget - 2.4k
    Resolution - 1080p / 1440
    System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc): Gaming mostly + workstation
    If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired? WoW highest, cyberpunk
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Some coding
    Do you plan to overclock? Not really

Budget 2400£

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/p6czW4

CPU: AMD 5800X3D
    CPU Cooler: H150 I Elite Cappelix ------ Not sure whether this is too large, or whether another cooler would be preferred?
    There's no such thing as "too large", really. There is "larger than needed", but a 360 is fine as long as you aren't breaking the bank for it.

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB (2x 16 GB DDR4 -3600 CL18
    Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 1tb M.2.-2280 PCIe 4.0
    GPU: Zotac Gaming trinity OC 3080 TI
    Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower ----- In terms of dimensions it all seems compatible, not sure if a larger is preferred?
    What is or is not preferred is up to you. You can go with Mini-ITX if you want.

PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ gold

I am particularly unsure about the Motherboard, cooling and case.

I have been debating going with Zen4, but the cost does not seem worth the performance compared to the above build?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Im going to go with the unpopular advice here: The 5800X3D is a waste of money. Its not upgradeable at all (though an Intel system wont be upgradeable for more than another 18-24 months either), has no forward looking technology (an Intel board will at least get you PCIe 5.0), and isn't even the best performer for the dollar.

The 5800X3D isn't any faster than a 12700K, much less the upcoming 13700K, and is more expensive. Particularly in workstation tasks, the X3D is actually worse than a vanilla 5800X, and well behind a 12700K. The 13700K will broaden that gap.

I'd recommend this instead:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gYThBj

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (£394.99 @ Technextday)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£139.99 @ Box Limited)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£239.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£106.99 @ Corsair UK)
    Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£92.49 @ Box Limited)
    Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity OC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card (£861.93 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£115.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.53 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £2062.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-29 01:55 BST+0100
    - replace the 12700K here with a 13700K (cant choose them in PCPartpicker yet since they dont street date until mid October). Its almost exactly the same price. It will reliably outperform the 5800X3D in gaming and likely absolutely crush it in productivity.

I kept the cooler you had because it seems like a perfectly good 360MM AIO. Slightly changed the case (the mesh version has better airflow), but case choice is really a personal thing. If you like the way it looks, as long as it isnt one of the few cases that absolutely chokes airflow, case choice isn't super duper important. (The Lancool II has fine airflow).

I changed the PSU to the Seasonic because they have a much better warranty and customer service. There's nothing wrong with the Corsair unit, however, its a very well rated unit.

You might want to add some case fans, depending on how many of them come with the case (looks like 3 come with the case, you might want to get one or two for outflow).

5800X3D beats the new i9-13900K in WoW according to Intel's presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    5800X3D beats the new i9-13900K in WoW according to Intel's presentation.
    You cant even reliably benchmark WoW, so.. lolwhut? Even running the same flight path will result in 20fps variances run to run. And hes not doing only gaming. The X3D gets beat by the non-3D 5800X, much less the upcoming 13th gen in anything that isnt gaming, and it was dead-even with 12th gen at resolutions that matter (yes yes, at 1080p low, its so much better! Would that that were remotely relevant to people running 3080Tis) even in gaming.

Its a bad product. It was a bad product the moment they released it. Its not bad technology, just a bad product with zero place in the market. Zen 4 3D chips will probably rock. When those get here next year, we can have that conversation. Right now, though, a 13700K, even at bone-stock, will beat a 5800X3D in gaming, and will absolutely demolish it in productivity - for less cost.

A 13700K will also beat a Ryzen 7 7700X, too, since the CPU itself is only 20$ more expensive and the total platform cost is FAR lower, and the benches logged already show it out ahead, however marginally at gaming, and it will again crush the 7700X in productivity, what with the eight extra cores and all.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-09-29 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks that's all really helpful!
    Check out my youtube channel for levelling guides, ancient mana farming spots, mage PoV guides and more!
    Aesthi - Ravencrest EU

Sure, 5800X3d is a niche product but MMOs fit in that niche.

Nvidia 4080 release on 12th October , If you can get hands on it on launch. I am expecting there to be good enough stock since mining craze has gone down.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheking View Post
    Nvidia 4080 release on 12th October , If you can get hands on it on launch. I am expecting there to be good enough stock since mining craze has gone down.
    Not worth the 1200-1300 quid over the ~900$ 3080Ti. Because the 12GB Faux-Tee-Eighty is not even worth talking about at 900$/probably 900 quid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You cant even reliably benchmark WoW, so.. lolwhut? Even running the same flight path will result in 20fps variances run to run. And hes not doing only gaming. The X3D gets beat by the non-3D 5800X, much less the upcoming 13th gen in anything that isnt gaming, and it was dead-even with 12th gen at resolutions that matter (yes yes, at 1080p low, its so much better! Would that that were remotely relevant to people running 3080Tis) even in gaming.

Its a bad product. It was a bad product the moment they released it. Its not bad technology, just a bad product with zero place in the market. Zen 4 3D chips will probably rock. When those get here next year, we can have that conversation. Right now, though, a 13700K, even at bone-stock, will beat a 5800X3D in gaming, and will absolutely demolish it in productivity - for less cost.

A 13700K will also beat a Ryzen 7 7700X, too, since the CPU itself is only 20$ more expensive and the total platform cost is FAR lower, and the benches logged already show it out ahead, however marginally at gaming, and it will again crush the 7700X in productivity, what with the eight extra cores and all.
    the 5800x3d is a proof of concept which still beats everything outside of raw clock speed increases, as shown through the utter bullshit Intel published as part of their marketing crap for raptor lake, they had the little orange mark on the bar graph for the 5800x3d higher in most of the titles shown compared to the new 13900k, meaning that an 'old' AMD chip was better in many cases than the newest offering from them, furthermore, the 13*** series from Intel is not new, it's just strapping more e-cores into the main CCX housing compared to 12*** series, and doing what Intel does best, and red lines the clock speed to try and push out more performance that way, as i have said in multiple other threads on this topic, Intel is on a geriatric process node and process technology, they are quite literally at the borderline of what the silicon can handle and without major investment into new process technology, Intel can't compete long term with AMD.

i'll use a metaphor here: the 5800x3d is a vampire, it has amazing upsides, but a crippling downside, the new 7***x3d ryzen chips coming early next year are Blade, they have all the strengths and none of the previous weaknesses, and the only thing Intel will have to answer with is highly binned 13900k silicon that can run 6GHz out of the box, and based on the sheer performance increase seen with the 5800x3d over everything available at the time it released, do you really think AMD is going to give a shit at all about the 13900ks chips? when the productivity crown is purely on AMD, the entire market has flipped on its head, AMD is now the king of the high end market, king of the gaming market, and dominating the enterprise sector, with Intel now filling up the budget market and trying desperately to claw back some of the high end market they once held.

to the OP: if you're looking at purely gaming then the 5800x3d is a brilliant CPU for that purpose, it is more than sufficient for all other tasks outside of that and the platform cost is significantly cheaper than buying anything else currently on the market, the small performance loss over the basic version of the 5800x on productivity is negligible and is still better than anything you can get with Intel for the same price to performance metric, as an aside here, if like me you're feeling the cost of energy bills hitting, then AMD is the only way to go currently in the UK for desktop usage, Intel uses too much power for the performance it provides especially if you're looking for a system to handle not only modern title gaming, but also productivity tasks alongside, there is literally no CPU Intel produces that can come close to the power efficiency of the 5950X in terms of power draw to performance metrics, also keep in mind that the 13*** series from Intel is a dead socket part now, they have confirmed they will not be offering any new chips on the LGA1700 socket post raptor lake chips, meaning that while cheaper to set up than the AMD 7000 series it's still got the same issues that AM4 and the ryzen 5000 series chips do, so i would personally be ignoring that arguement entirely as part of your decision making process.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    <snip>
    Yeah, the 5800x3d right now is the sweet spot for price/performance. Any benefit you would get from going to a new platform AMD 7000 or intel 12/13th gen is lost value when you have to invest in a new platform motherboard, perhaps ddr5, etc.

The 5800x3d you have a wider selection of motherboards and ddr4 prices are about to crash.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jacktheking View Post
    Yeah and its MASSIVE! The card is (literally) as wide as, and taller than, an Xbox console on its 'side' (upright position). Some pictures came out today from a review site I noticed (they aren't released to review it yet but they posted pictures of it) and its THREE PCI slots wide and longer than a normal card. They also had it placed next to an 'upright' Xbox in one of the pictures, and yeah its bigger! And in US Prices, this site said it was launching around 1600$.

If that's a card anyone wants to go with - DEFINITELY need to check and make sure the MB/Case has the slots and the extra size room for that Big BOI!

Just tickles me a little thinking about needing a case "big enough to fit a full xbox console into" along with the other parts =D.

(dang, just read the article this morning but of course I can't find the damn comparison pictures on a google search!)
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-10-06 at 07:13 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I ran into this same situation regarding video cards. I bought the RTX 3070 instead of the TI. Thankfully I was enlightened before I made the purchase but for 150-200$ extra you're not really getting a performance increase that matches the difference in what you're paying.

With a 3080 you're still going to get the performance you want at what frames you want. I'd drop more money into your CPU as some games will bottleneck based off of that.

Motherboard I'd go with an Asus Rog strix brand, its the only one i've had great experiences with, but thats just my personal opinion.