Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    outside of being able to fly in northrend without cold weather flying, nothing there is 'exploiting', it's purely a 'clever use of game mechanics' as everything is functioning as it is supposed to function, it's just an interesting set of circumstances leading to the outcome that should have been fixed by blizzard but as we know they don't have a testing/QA team anymore so stuff like this will always slip through.
    You literally just described an exploit which the druid should be banned for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    It is absolutely clear as day that this is not intented behaviour, hence it is a bug..
    Only thing accurate you said in your entire post... Yes, its a bug.
    No, its not an exploit until blizzard says so...

That's just how these things work with blizzard, dont look at me, i dont make the rules or set historical predicant on how these matters are handled....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    You literally just described an exploit which the druid should be banned for.
    He's literally describing a bug. Learn the difference....

There were quite a few people already in Borean Tundra and some others in Icecrown a good 15 minutes before the launch even went live on my server. No idea how they managed that, but the mage that was in Borean Tundra was the one that got the herbalism. The druid flight form thing was also a thing. I am surprised they even kept all of these meaningless, worthless realm firsts to be honest. Hardly credible achievements when it's not even a fair race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Yes, it is extremely simple,
    And yet you don't seem to get it.

Its a bug... Thats it... It's only an exploit after blizzard says so...
    No. It's an exploit if you utilize that bug for personal gain and to get an advantage over everyone else.

have they said its an exploit? Have they made a blue post about it?
    They don't have to. Because we know what an exploit is: taking advantage of any unintended advantage for personal gain.

No? So it's not an exploit, this is not rocket science...
    It's an exploit.

- - - Updated - - -

No. It's an exploit if you take opportunity of said bug for personal gain.

And also described the druid utilizing said bug for personal gain, hence exploit, hence actionable offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And yet you don't seem to get it.

No. It's an exploit if you utilize that bug for personal gain and to get an advantage over everyone else.

They don't have to. Because we know what an exploit is: taking advantage of any unintended advantage for personal gain.

It's an exploit.

- - - Updated - - -

No. It's an exploit if you take opportunity of said bug for personal gain.

And also described the druid utilizing said bug for personal gain, hence exploit, hence actionable offense.
    The only one not getting reality here is you...
    You can type out an exploit how many times you want, it won't change the fact lol...

I dont care what you think, it matters FUCK ALL man. Its so insignificant i find it hard to put into words how little it matters what you personally think things are called.
    I follow reality and what blizzard calls it, they call it a bug. And they label it an exploit when they deem it one. Thats how its worked for almost 20 years now but of course, you know better and also know what blizzard employees think.

Have blizzard action this?
    Have they revert realm first achieve?
    Have they done anything here?
    The answer is no... So nobody has exploited, nothing has been removed... Why is this so concept so hard for you to grasp?
    Are we done here?
    Last edited by tomten; 2022-09-29 at 02:13 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    the technical term is a loophole!

- - - Updated - - -

except that's exactly the case, the only thing that's not working as it's intended to be used is the ability to fly in northrend without cold weather flying unlocked, everything else functions exactly as the devs intended for it to be used, ergo, no exploit, simply using a loophole to clever get around a limitation to get something ahead of others.
    Blizzard has classically viewed exploits based on intent as well. In this case everyone knows you shouldn't fly until 77 with cold weather so finding an exploit to abuse in game mechanics would certainly be an exploit. Now whether blizz does anything is another story.

as we know they don't have a testing/QA team anymore so stuff like this will always slip through.
    it's incredible how people still think like this in 2022

The only one not getting reality here is you...
    You can type out an exploit how many times you want, it won't change the fact lol...
    I don't want to change the facts. Because the fact of the situation is that a bug was exploited for personal gain.

I dont care what you think, it matters FUCK ALL man.
    I also don't care what you think. Especially when what you think goes against the fact of the situation.

Its so insignificant i find it hard to put into words how little it matters what you personally think things are called.
    Your opinion of how things should be called differently than what they are is also just as insignificant. I'd even argued even more insignificant because you're not only trying to normalize exploitation of unintended bugs, but you're also using labels that clearly don't fit the situation, since a bug is not a "game mechanic". That's like saying a car's breaks malfunctioning is not a defect, but a feature of the car.

I follow reality and what blizzard calls it, they call it a bug.
    And when takes advantage of said bug for personal gain, to get a big advantage over others following the rules of the game, that's called "bug exploit".

Irrelevant.

Have they revert realm first achieve?
    Irrelevant.

Have they done anything here?
    Irrelevant.

The answer is no...
    The answer is "yes".

So nobody has exploited, nothing has been removed... Why is this so concept so hard for you to grasp?
    A bug was exploited. That's a fact.

Are we done here?
    As soon as you accept the reality of the facts.

the technical term is a loophole!

- - - Updated - - -

except that's exactly the case, the only thing that's not working as it's intended to be used is the ability to fly in northrend without cold weather flying unlocked, everything else functions exactly as the devs intended for it to be used, ergo, no exploit, simply using a loophole to clever get around a limitation to get something ahead of others.
    It is an exploit. he is literally flying where he is not supposed to be able to without cold wearther flying and that is clearly not intended.

- - - Updated - - -

NO, it is an exploit. He knows it is not suppoed to work that way and he abused it anyway. His acheievment should be reverted and he should be banned.

That's just how these things work with blizzard, dont look at me, i dont make the rules or set historical predicant on how these matters are handled....

- - - Updated - - -

I know the difference.

The definition of an exploit is something that gives you an advantage...THROUGH A BUG. You git.

It is an exploit.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    why do you think this matters? I know people who botted and never got banned. Does this mean botting is not cheating now?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I don't want to change the facts. Because the fact of the situation is that a bug was exploited for personal gain.

I also don't care what you think. Especially when what you think goes against the fact of the situation.

Your opinion of how things should be called differently than what they are is also just as insignificant. I'd even argued even more insignificant because you're not only trying to normalize exploitation of unintended bugs, but you're also using labels that clearly don't fit the situation, since a bug is not a "game mechanic". That's like saying a car's breaks malfunctioning is not a defect, but a feature of the car.

And when takes advantage of said bug for personal gain, to get a big advantage over others following the rules of the game, that's called "bug exploit".

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

The answer is "yes".

A bug was exploited. That's a fact.

As soon as you accept the reality of the facts.
    You saying its irrelevant doesn't make it so lol... Sigh...
    Go blame blizzard for being extremely inconsistent on these matters and accept the fact that its only an exploit after blizzard says so...
    In pretty much any other game or studio, I would have agreed with you on the definition but that's just not the case with wow and blizzard...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go blame blizzard for being extremely inconsistent on these matters and accept the fact that its only an exploit after blizzard says so...
    In pretty much any other game or studio, I would have agreed with you on the definition but that's just not the case with wow and blizzard...
    You saying this doesn't make it so lol........ Sigh.....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Right back at you. Saying it's not irrelevant doesn't make it relevant.

That's not a fact. Just your wrong opinion on what exploits are and how they work.

Repeat after me: bugs are not game mechanics. Bugs are not game mechanics.

Bugs.
    Are.
    Not.
    Game.
    Mechanics.

Just like a car's brakes malfunctioning is a defect of the car, not a feature of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    You're assuming a lot of stuff, and then projecting those assumptions. Northrend Flying allows you to /cast flyingmount and /cast flightform in Northrend. It DOES NOT control actually flying in Northrend. This is proven by the fact that a druid can be summoned in flight form and still fly around. Other supporting evidence would include climbing large structures and slow falling, levitating, parachuting etc off of them, which is certainly less controlled flight but surely a form of travel in game.
    What you said makes no absolute sense at all. Cold Weather Flying enables the use of flight in Northrend. It does not control your ability to cast those things, but doing so in Northrend does not enable you to fly without Cold Weather Flying. Thus, if you get summoned and retain the ability to fly which isn't enabled until you have Cold Weather Flying and then you simultaneously use this to your advantage, that is by an exploit. This was not an allowable thing in original WoW and was probably an oversight that this person discovered on the beta and didn't report it so they could exploit it on release. Which clearly, they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    why do you think this matters? I know people who botted and never got banned. Does this mean botting is not cheating now?
    Because blizzard doesn't work in absolutes...
    Take naowh for example, getting lvl 80 realm first.
    I forgot the name, r something, did the same thing back in the day, except it was instanced. He got banned for it.
    Naowh did the same thing, with the same mob but not instanced.
    He's not banned and realm first not removed.

I'm sure you would call that an exploit too, right?
    Yet its perfectly fine to do that, as this time, blizzard deems it clever use of game mechanics and you yourself could use the same bug.
    See the issue??

- - - Updated - - -

That's not a fact. Just your wrong opinion on what exploits are and how they work.
    Read my reply above and tell me how blizzard is consistent.
    One is an exploit, one is clever use of game mechanics, both use the same thing......

I can point to how blizzard acts and have acted... What do you have backing up your argument? Nothing? Cool story?
    Last edited by tomten; 2022-09-30 at 08:23 PM.

Read my reply above and tell me how blizzard is consistent.
    Which is completely irrelevant. Blizzard not taking an action against it (yet) does not make it not an exploit.

One is an exploit, one is clever use of game mechanics, both use the same thing......
    So you apparently don't know what "game mechanics" are, since you apparently consider game bugs to be "game mechanics", so here's a helpful exercise for you:
    Repeat after me: bugs are not game mechanics. Bugs are not game mechanics.

Bugs.
    Are.
    Not.
    Game.
    Mechanics.

I can point to how blizzard acts and have acted...
    Which is, again, irrelevant. Again: Blizzard not having acted on it (yet) does not make it not an exploit.

What do you have backing up your argument? Nothing? Cool story?
    It's the other way around, actually. Because I have the actual definition of what an "exploit" is, while all you really have is your wrong opinion that bugs are game mechanics.

I mean....I would have said screw it to the herbalism achievement, and went to Storm Peaks to get me a TLPD.

Has Blizzard defined what an exploit is? If they haven't then no one here knows what they are talking about and are just pulling opinions out of their ass.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Has Blizzard defined what an exploit is? If they haven't then no one here knows what they are talking about and are just pulling opinions out of their ass.
    Blizzard did not invent the word "exploit" and what it means, so they don't have to define it. If one abuses a bug in the game for personal gain, that means they're exploiting the bug.

A bug isn't a "loophole".
    A bug isn't a "game mechanic".
    A bug is how we call when a feature of the game is malfunctioning. Defective. Broken.