Poll: Should more classes have ranged and tank specs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would you like more classes with both ranged and tank specs

For Dragonflight I've come down to wanting to be ranged DPS in raids, and tanking keys, which is oddly limiting. Melee dps in raids is easy to combine with tanking (just pick whatever tank class you want), but the only option if I want to be ranged dps is druid (and I really don't like to play Balance). So currently I'm looking at gearing two characters, a brewmaster for keys and either a demo lock or a devastation evoker for raids. Which makes gearing a lot slower.

But what I'm really wondering, is this desire to be ranged/tank unique to me, or is it a genuine hole in the class selection?

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    People on the 'back line' of the battlefield are generally weaker physically than those on the front lines.

It just don't add up I tell ya!
    Oh, forgot to add the two ideas for tank/ranged classes!

It's Demon Hunter and Evoker, of course. Black flight tank spec Evoker has been an idea since Evoker got announced. Ranged Demon Hunter seems like it could do stuff as well. Throw fireballs and Eyebeam or something?

For old school options you of course have Earthwarder Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    For Dragonflight I've come down to wanting to be ranged DPS in raids, and tanking keys, which is oddly limiting. Melee dps in raids is easy to combine with tanking (just pick whatever tank class you want), but the only option if I want to be ranged dps is druid (and I really don't like to play Balance). So currently I'm looking at gearing two characters, a brewmaster for keys and either a demo lock or a devastation evoker for raids. Which makes gearing a lot slower.

But what I'm really wondering, is this desire to be ranged/tank unique to me, or is it a genuine hole in the class selection?
    Most of my wishes are edits/addition to current classes.

An extra spec for Paladin, ranged DPS OR Templar (DPS with sword'n'board).
    An extra spec for Warrior, ranged DPS (With throwing weapons and shouts) OR Gladiator (DPS with sword'n'board).
    An extra/replacement spec for Death Knight, healing/DPS as Necromancer (Change or remove Unholy) (Heals by siphoning life from themselves, teammates, or the enemy, to offer their minions, team, or themselves. Using necrotic energy which charges over time of afflicting dmg upon the foe, this energy can be used for stronger dmg or minion summoning) OR keep Unholy as a melee dot DPS spec as it mostly is.

An extra spec for Hunter, tanking in the form of ranged through the use of a companion.
    An extra spec for Shaman, tanking with the use of elemental magic mostly Earth and Wind (Earthwarder)
    An extra spec for Evoker, tanking with the connection of the bronze and black dragonflights (Won't happen of course, according to Blizzard's statement)

An extra spec for Monk, ranged DPS spec based on Chi'ji (Only one that doesn't really have a spec that is dedicated to them).
    An extra spec for Rogue for dodgy/parry tanking (Mercenary), and a spec edit for Outlaw, making it mid-range DPS with pistols.
    No extra spec for Druid, they already have four.
    An extra spec for Demon Hunter, Ranged DPS (The Seeker).

An extra spec for Priest, melee/mid-ranged DPS (The Cleric).
    An extra spec for Warlock, tanking (Devourer)(Consume of a demon of choice to empower yourself to take on the foe head to head. Each demon offers a different playstyle of tanking, either for soaking, kiting, multi-target, control, or solo tanking).
    An extra spec for Mage, healing (Chronomancer)(Using the power of time to hasten the regeneration as well as deteriorate opponents and their destruction upon your team. Use of shielding to slow down incoming damage in the area, letting the team move away in time).

Classes I dream of:
    Tinker (Melee tanking, Ranged DPS with explosives/fire, Ranged DPS with traps and minions, healing with alchemy)
    Golem Lord (Tanking with Golem (Pet, either melee or ranged player, as well as melee DPS and healing amplified by the use of a Golem).
    "Bard" (I like to call it 'Entertainer' (Specs being 'Juggler/Acrobat', 'Bard', and 'Loremaster/Storyteller') (Melee DPS (Acrobatics and throwing weapons), Healing (Musical, boons, screams, roars), or Tanking (Illusions of great heroes summoned to tank for you).
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-10-06 at 05:41 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    There are lots of cool options for new specs!

But it's a big investment for Blizz. I'm just wondering if adding a spec or two to enable more ranged/tank classes would be worthwhile, or if I just have special interests

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the inevitable Tinker class will fill that niche. The WC3 and HotS versions of the concept have ranged DPS abilities and the ultimate has tank qualities.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of cool options for new specs!

But it's a big investment for Blizz. I'm just wondering if adding a spec or two to enable more ranged/tank classes would be worthwhile, or if I just have special interests
    We will never know about tanks/healers, as that issue is a player-generated problem overall. Though, my view on adding specs was more to give more in-depth for all classes without having to brake the expectation by just reducing race restrictions. I'm getting to the point where my hope for future classes is dwindling but the view of adding more specs get more and more possible.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I am against diluting specs even further by creating a much of forced concepts just cause.

I am fine with some stuff that was either taken away (ranged survival) or part of the original design for the class (shaman tank). But beyond stuff like that I think they should just add specs where they make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I believe the inevitable Tinker class will fill that niche. The WC3 and HotS versions of the concept have ranged DPS abilities and the ultimate has tank qualities.
    If we get a Titan expansion my guess is that we'll get tinker.

well, I'm pretty sure there's some evidence that Shaman were supposed to be tanks back in Vanilla, but it never made it to live. So there's at least some flimsy precedence for a ranged and tank spec being on the same class. Seems like there are several ranged specs that I could sort of kind of see being tanks: beastmaster hunter (somehow their pet is a tank??), demo warlocks (some sort of metamorphosis tanking I guess?), or maybe some kind of battle mage that uses cloth armor with a sword and shield that does magic damage. I guess the last one is sort of like a paladin, but I'm thinking more like a fire mage that absorbs damage through magic.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see a Gladiator-style Paladin dps spec (like the prot warrior talent from WoD I think?).
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    I'd love to see a Gladiator-style Paladin dps spec (like the prot warrior talent from WoD I think?).
    Think like, Diablo Templar kind of build. High DPS numbers, charge/maybe just 'blind' charge, shield dps, some off heals, some utility away from protection. it should be able to hold on its own for a short bit but not be a complete tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If we get a Titan expansion my guess is that we'll get tinker.
    I'm losing hope on it. We've had so many opportunities for it, and still none. So now, I'm just hoping it is part of an underground expansion as you can't have that without including Gnomeregan and Undermine.

not a fan of ranged or tanking so no.
    btw you can add a million tank spec's but it's only going to be the same 4 people playing them.
    so that won't solve the tank shortage.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

this thread is now a tinker thread

They can't add more tanking classes.

We have 6 atm, and one of them still hasn't received an update yet on the Beta with their garbage spec+class trees. Imagine if we had another.

I would actually have more RANGED class, real ranges ...

Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    They can't add more tanking classes.

We have 6 atm, and one of them still hasn't received an update yet on the Beta with their garbage spec+class trees. Imagine if we had another.
    I'll take ranged spec for Monk, DH, Paladin or even DK in a heartbeat!

Just lemme tank keys without having to either play melee or (bleh) moonkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourbaak View Post
    this thread is now a tinker thread
    Always has been /astronaut

An extra spec for Warrior, ranged DPS (With throwing weapons and shouts) OR Gladiator (DPS with sword'n'board).
    This got me really conflicted because I'd love to play a melee DPS with shields (just love the 1h+shield aesthetic) but shudder to think what they would be in PvP. And they're not just shield users but shield users wearing PLATE... RIP rogues I guess...?

Wait actually I'm not conflicted Blizzard please make this happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    This got me really conflicted because I'd love to play a melee DPS with shields (just love the 1h+shield aesthetic) but shudder to think what they would be in PvP. And they're not just shield users but shield users wearing PLATE... RIP rogues I guess...?

Wait actually I'm not conflicted Blizzard please make this happen.
    Well, with teamwork, rogues didn't have problems with Gladiator Warriors in taking them down, the problem was, doing it before they smushed you.

Huh, seems I'm not totally alone in my desire to have both ranged dps and tank in the same class.

Healers already have good options (4 each of ranged and melee specs). Would be nice if tanks had something similar, I hope we don't have to wait for Tinker for our second ranged spec!

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Inevitable" my ass. Blizzard would rather pull a class like Evokers out of their ass than implement a "much requested" class like Tinker.

OT: An Earthwarder tanking spec for shaman at least has some historic relevance and would thematically make sense for the class as a potential tanking addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    OT: An Earthwarder tanking spec for shaman at least has some historic relevance and would thematically make sense for the class as a potential tanking addition.
    Earthwarder would be great. If shamans could tank I might never play another class...

OTOH my casual raid group is already 40% shaman, which could be a problem with DF loot!