How does Essence of Wintergrasp work?

I queued and lost.
    Yet we still get Essence of Wintergrasp.

They said that there are many other groups.
    Is that because other groups are winning?
    It is possible to have both horde and alliance have Essence of Wintergrasp at the same time.

Here is what I can find.
    https://www.wowhead.com/wotlk/news/t...classic-327930

Basically if any member of your faction wins a wintergrasp everyone gets it. In practice you should always have it. You also always have control of wintergrasp, so you can do VoA at any time.

I don't quite get it either. I had the buff, then I did Wintergrasp and we won and then I didn't have the buff. Like it has seemingly been up 90% of the time outside of WG, but occasionally not up between Wintergrasps and I couldn't fix it with a layer swap?

I suspect it's buggy in some way, like everything in WOTLK Classic.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Basically if any member of your faction wins a wintergrasp everyone gets it. In practice you should always have it. You also always have control of wintergrasp, so you can do VoA at any time.
    This is wrong,

alliance player here

we had the WG buff, i went to WG horde npcs, couldnt enter VOA,

didnt have the buff, somehow we had WG, went there Ally NPCS, could enter.

i think they are doing a Rotation thing, where at least once during prime time in the week you will have the buff to be able to enter. regardless of win/loss ratio.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Could be a shard thing, when you zone in to that specific area it doesn't register you having it.

WG is a little weird because of all the layering and the instanced bg. And ofc bugged ... quality is not a term that describes wotlk classic ... there's a significant list of bugs that were not present in 2008
    It might wait for all bg's to finish before applying the essence buff.
    The fortress also seems to be in a separate phase from the zone (prolly to have VoA available to both factions if both won in a bg)
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-10-13 at 05:29 AM.

I queued and won.
    Guess what? no Essence of Wintergrasp.
    I cannot turn in my Winning Wintergrasp quest.

I tried to ask people invite me to their layer. So far no one has it.

If I win the battle, I should have VoA access.
    If not, what is the point of doing Wintergrasp battle?
    This is silly.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2022-10-16 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I don't quite get it either. I had the buff, then I did Wintergrasp and we won and then I didn't have the buff. Like it has seemingly been up 90% of the time outside of WG, but occasionally not up between Wintergrasps and I couldn't fix it with a layer swap?

I suspect it's buggy in some way, like everything in WOTLK Classic.
    There is no buff while the battles are happening. Even though you were done, it is still going on for others. Once all the battles are done it will come back
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    There is no buff while the battles are happening. Even though you were done, it is still going on for others. Once all the battles are done it will come back
    I should have clarified, I didn't have the buff from then onwards until the next WG battle. I was actually trying to buy heirlooms and wondering why the NPC's in the keep were alliance.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I should have clarified, I didn't have the buff from then onwards until the next WG battle. I was actually trying to buy heirlooms and wondering why the NPC's in the keep were alliance.
    I second with that.
    In fact, I don't have it for 6 hours.

I joined a few groups and they don't have either. It is not a layer issue.