Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Semantics and opinion.
    Semantics, yes. But this is a semantic discussion, so it should go without saying.
    Opinion, no. People choose to use specific words to convey a specific meaning. This is why language exists. The term "Dracthyr" exists to differentiate the Dracthyr from Dragons. If they were the same thing, the term "Dracthyr" would not exist.
    Means nothing against Blizzard and the devs calling them dragons on multiple occasions.
    They have. They've also applied the word to cloud serpents, faerie dragons borrow the term, and chimaeras/rylaks have also been called dragons, among others I assume. But they aren't Dragons. If they're as synonymous as you claim, the term "Dracthyr" is redundant and doesn't need to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yeh, had a chance to check it out on the beta, and it's incredibly detailed - I wouldn't say it hit the sweet spot for me, but I do think it's the best race on the cards.

I was able to come up with some really nice designs that I thought, you know what, this isn't half so bad as i thought it would be - you can make your dragon form look much more masculine than I first thought, but it takes some exploring, - but if that's your only issue then... it certainly is monster enough, but cool enough ---

The design is still Warcraft grounded, those "feet", would never get use to them, and the visage form, well that is actually incredibly detailed.

Might be good overall.
    Still it a class with a dumb name and also a race with a dumb name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Semantics, yes. But this is a semantic discussion, so it should go without saying.
    Opinion, no. People choose to use specific words to convey a specific meaning. This is why language exists. The term "Dracthyr" exists to differentiate the Dracthyr from Dragons. If they were the same thing, the term "Dracthyr" would not exist.

They have. They've also applied the word to cloud serpents, faerie dragons borrow the term, and chimaeras/rylaks have also been called dragons, among others I assume. But they aren't Dragons. If they're as synonymous as you claim, the term "Dracthyr" is redundant and doesn't need to exist.
    I don’t know what’s more amusing; You consistently dodging because you can’t produce a quote from Blizzard, or you actually believing they would create a playable race called “Dragon”.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t know what’s more amusing; You consistently dodging because you can’t produce a quote from Blizzard,
    I already did - you ignored it as it didn't fit your narrative. I also gave you a list of things they called dragons without actually being Dragons, proper.

or you actually believing they would create a playable race called “Dragon”.
    Why wouldn't they? Aren't Dracthyr just Dragons? Why would they call them something else if they're the same thing?
    Last edited by Berkilak; 2022-10-21 at 02:14 PM.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    I've never said that, so put your reading glasses on. I've said clearly that Dracthyrs can be super fun to play, but to call them DRAGONS is a travesty. They are humanoids with dragon features.
    But they're not dragons. They're experiments made by Deathwing. Distinctly not dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

Amazing. All those pictures, and only one of them is an actual dragon from Warcraft, and even that is not even a picture from the game itself, but artwork.

The Hover that has to exist within the confines and balance of WoW's race/class system? Yeah, that Hover.
    In other words, dracthyr cannot fly like dragons can. Not only their visage ability is different from dragons, but also their wings apparently aren't as strong enough to support them in actual flight.

- - - Updated - - -

Semantics and opinion. Means nothing against Blizzard and the devs calling them dragons on multiple occasions.
    Blizzard has further demonstrated how dracthyr and dragons aren't the same when they had Wrathion explicitly point out how the dracthyr's visage form differs from the dragons' visage.

the drakthyr look stupid and stinky, let me make them beefer like the guards and then they will look cool

Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    But they're not dragons. They're experiments made by Deathwing. Distinctly not dragons.
    Then we're in agreement.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    In other words, dracthyr cannot fly like dragons can. Not only their visage ability is different from dragons, but also their wings apparently aren't as strong enough to support them in actual flight.
    Gotta wonder, why do you keep repeating the “can’t support actual flight” part when we already know they can in the lore and the limits in game are purely for gameplay reasons?

Like your even posting the actual reasons they aren’t like full dragons why repeat the falsehood?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post

Dracthyr warriors when
    Probably for one of DF patches, when subs start to leak. I would rather have Drakonid warrior tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Gotta wonder, why do you keep repeating the “can’t support actual flight” part when we already know they can in the lore and the limits in game are purely for gameplay reasons?

Like your even posting the actual reasons they aren’t like full dragons why repeat the falsehood?
    At this point it is clear that there are posters who refuse to except reality and want to push their personal notions of what is and is not a dragon over Blizzard themselves, who has stated on multiple occasions that the Dracthyr are dragons, and playing them allows you to play as a dragon.

Just like the folks who are obsessed with the size of the Dracthyr's muscles, there's really no valid reason to discuss this topic with those posters any further. Godspeed if you decide to venture down that rabbit hole of silliness.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2022-10-21 at 05:45 PM.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    Then we're in agreement.
    Okay, then why the disdain for how they're portrayed when it's obvious why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

This is a common theme. Guards often get to look better than players. x)

At this point it is clear that there are posters who refuse to except reality and want to push their personal notions of what is and is not a dragon over Blizzard themselves, who has stated on multiple occasions that the Dracthyr are dragons, and playing them allows you to play as a dragon.

Just like the folks who are obsessed with the size of the Dracthyr's muscles, there's really no valid reason to discuss this topic with those posters any further. Godspeed if you decide to venture down that rabbit hole of silliness.
    Answe this simple question, and I’ll drop it: if Dracthyr are Dragons, why call them Dracthyr and not Dragons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Answe this simple question, and I’ll drop it: if Dracthyr are Dragons, why call them Dracthyr and not Dragons?
    Because Blizzard wanted a fancy name for their playable draconic race. “Dragon” is too broad and too generic for a playable race name. “Drac” means dragon, and “thyr” is a completely made up word.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2022-10-21 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    More likely you'll hear either "alien" or "Are you a furry?".
    It does little to resemble a dragon, even if just because dragons are commonly quadrupedal.
    I'd definitely say it looks like a Dragon, just not something that belongs in Warcraft. I know that the "scalie" thing is a bit of a circlejerk, but they were designed by an actual furry IIRC and they definitely look the part, which makes them very incongruous with other designs in WoW.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    More likely you'll hear either "alien" or "Are you a furry?".
    It does little to resemble a dragon, even if just because dragons are commonly quadrupedal.

Mind you that this is aimed at the idea that it resembles to the common eye, as you say, "a dragon". I am not gonna bother argueing about the style again, given that my experience with pidgeons
    I just tested this theory. Walked around my office asking randoms "what creature is this?"

1 person did say dragon.
    10 said Lizardman.
    3 asked if I was bored.

Full disclosure, the one who said dragon technically said "Is that supposed to be a dragon?"

Personally? I think I'd probably guess "Dragonkin" if I saw this without context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

I think body proportions still weird me out (and faces tbh) but customization is incredible.
    Last edited by Lionwoman; 2022-10-22 at 08:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I love how many people go the "fuck feminism!! ruining society!" Never change, "/r/incels" champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    No more eeeelves!

Evokers look great. The customization options are good. Everyone talks about the 'infinite' transmog options that Evokers don't get to wear and then complains about how all the 'good' transmog comes from the ingame shop. You all just want to complain because there is nothing else in your life except the attention you get when you argue online.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I just tested this theory. Walked around my office asking randoms "what creature is this?"

1 person did say dragon.
    10 said Lizardman.
    3 asked if I was bored.

Full disclosure, the one who said dragon technically said "Is that supposed to be a dragon?"

Personally? I think I'd probably guess "Dragonkin" if I saw this without context.
    I asked 3 people and got answers that were pretty much "Some kind of dragon?"
    Note: I showed them my Dracthyr I made on wowhead and asked what they thought of it. Didnt specifically ask what they thought it was. And they all just defaulted to it being some kind of dragon.
    Last edited by Varanus; 2022-10-22 at 04:40 AM.