Thread: 2022 Midterms

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's also ignoring, you know, the whole "Black people are 3/5ths of a person and also can't vote so their votes go towards how their plantation owners voted."

It's kind hard to argue that a system that built part and parcel to support slavery an the interests of slave-owners was in any way, shape, or form about "protecting minorities". Even if we use non-race-based definitions for "minorities" to give it the most extreme benefit of the doubt.
    True, was thinking about it but I couldn't remember if the 3/5ths compromise came before or after the electoral college.

Edit:

And after looking up, evidently they were both passed in 1787 so both of them were passed in tandem with the express purpose of both disenfranchising voters and NOT protecting under represented groups showing this guy posted tehdang levels of disinformation.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2022-11-04 at 12:47 AM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loc...268249617.html

A Miami jury on Thursday convicted a Donald Trump supporter who was accused of shooting at two men in a dust-up that started over one of them flying a “Ridin’ with Biden” flag on his Jet Ski on Election Day 2020.

The six-person jury deliberated less than two hours in convicting Eduardo Acosta, 39, on charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault with a firearm and armed robbery. He faces up to life in prison, with a mandatory minimum of at least 20 years, when he is sentenced on Dec. 16.

The case was decided against the backdrop of increased political rancor ahead of Tuesday’s midterm elections. The case made for a challenging jury selection process, with many potential jurors unable to serve because of their own political biases.

Prosecutors alleged that Acosta was on his Jet Ski with a group of men on Nov. 3, 2020, when they allegedly approached two other men on a small Biscayne Bay island near Miami Marine Stadium. Those two men, Wilson Peralta and Alfredo Garcia, were on one Jet Ski, that had a Biden flag.

Triggered by the flag, prosecutors said, Acosta began to argue with the men, claiming that anyone who supported Biden was a “child molester.” The insult originates from an unfounded QAnon conspiracy theory that a “deep state” group of child sex traffickers were secretly working to defeat Trump.

According to a cellphone video recorded by one of the two men, Acosta at some point lunged at them but was held back by one of the people in his group. According to testimony, Acosta came back later armed with a handgun, shooting at the men as they jumped on their Jet Ski and zoomed off. The two victims fell into the water as a bullet whizzed overhead.

He caught up with them on the water, holding them at gunpoint, police said. “Don’t come back to this island. I’m going to kill you,” he allegedly said in Spanish, according to police.
    This one's about an incident from 2020, but just again highlighting the violent extremism that's been increasingly common amongst Republicans and Trump supporters.

Imagine being so triggered by a flag - much like we see flying off the back of many trucks and in front of many homes for Trump even years after he lost his election - that you try to fight someone, and then come back and try to murder them.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Yet Democrats will never ask themselves, "How did we become even more unpopular than the likes of Trump MTG, Oz, Walkerz etc"

Zero introspection.
    Right now, Biden is more popular than all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    One thing that's fortunate for Democrats that are actually trying to win races is that they're quite a bit better at that than our forum friends.
    The shade! My god the shade!

The internet leftists, the DC/NY leftists, academia, and journo-sphere leftists are all really good at pageantry and right-side-of-history rhetorical angles. But their actual power comes down to Democrats in marginal districts that know uttering 99% of the things said here will push voters away and alienate the persuadable. Democrat Abigail Spanberger, railing against Pelosi for midterm losses in 2020 that brought Republicans close to a majority, said if national & The Squad Democrats rhetoric kept up through 2022, "We will get f****** torn apart."
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    So instead we get a family of two that owns a big empty fucking ranch having as much voting power as a hundred families living in a highrise.
    In different states that is. And this is only for chief executive, not legislative.

- - - Updated - - -

That's also ignoring, you know, the whole "Black people are 3/5ths of a person and also can't vote so their votes go towards how their plantation owners voted."

It's kind hard to argue that a system that built part and parcel to support slavery an the interests of slave-owners was in any way, shape, or form about "protecting minorities". Even if we use non-race-based definitions for "minorities" to give it the most extreme benefit of the doubt.
    The minority would be the smaller groups. Similar to how we have a minority or majority party in Congress.

And yes it was to protect the north from the overpopulated South. Now it's more akin to putting less populated states against more populated states.

It was better before too, because the VP was the runner up, not from the same part as it is now. That's one of the checks/balances that was lost

Which only acknowledge the winning party and don't reflect all votes cast.

See above. Unless we're actually tabulating the total votes for/against in all states/races.

The is arguably the best metric out of all of them since it's everyone voting on the exact same race and easily reflects all national votes.

Which I'll point out again, Democrats have won in every election since 2000 except for 2004. They've even won the popular vote two of the three times they lost.
    We're talking about guy who uses gambling sites to gauge popularity. Libertarian thought always causes second hand embarrasment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    True, was thinking about it but I couldn't remember if the 3/5ths compromise came before or after the electoral college.

Edit:

And after looking up, evidently they were both passed in 1787 so both of them were passed in tandem with the express purpose of both disenfranchising voters and NOT protecting under represented groups showing this guy posted tehdang levels of disinformation.
    Damn those civics texts and their misinformation.

The 3/5 compromise while tragic made sense. Why should little that aren't considered human be counted as population? Just put that feather in hat for the the later abolitionists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Damn those civics texts and their misinformation.

The 3/5 compromise while tragic made sense. Why should little that aren't considered human be counted as population? Just put that feather in hat for the the later abolitionists.
    The 3/5ths compromise did nothing to help slaves.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-11-04 at 02:20 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...s/69616706007/

Back to this election and the absolute insanity of conservatives, this is worth a read. I had no clue what absolute insanity was going down in Detroit with these election deniers.

During a court hearing that lasted nearly nine hours, the attorney representing GOP secretary of state candidate Kristina Karamo in a legal bid seeking to halt the count of tens of thousands of absentee ballots in Detroit yelled at the judge, cited a widely debunked film that has furthered conspiracies about ballot drop boxes and pressed for specific details about election security plans in Michigan's largest city ahead of the Nov. 8 midterm.

Attorney Daniel Hartman grew angry when Wayne County Circuit Court Chief Judge Timothy Kenny noted that the lawsuit would prevent military voters deployed overseas from having their ballots counted in the election because the complaint asks the court declare only absentee ballots requested in person can count.

"You are asking for... somebody who wants an absentee ballot has to come in to the Detroit clerk's office. That excludes the military," Kenny said, raising his voice and noting that his own son served in the military.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-11-04 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Originally the electors could defy the voters in their areas and vote in another person.
    This is technically untrue, but only because of a disconnect between how the system was envisioned and how it's actually been used. The entire point of the electoral college was that the people weren't electing the president AT ALL. They were voting for informed citizens who would themselves be equipped to understand weighty issues like foreign policy and economics and vote for the president themselves. The thinking at the time was also that the electoral college would almost never decide the president, only narrow it down to the top five choices for the House of Representatives to cast the final vote on.

To give an example of how this was supposed to work, imagine that instead of directly voting for a specific politician to be president, you instead voted for John Stewart to cast his vote for the president on behalf of your county because you felt that he was knowledgeable and responsible enough to look at all the various candidates and make an informed decision. And John Stewart (along with all the other electors) isn't just deciding between Joe Biden and Donald Trump, he's deciding between every declared candidate from every party's primary.

This "worked" for the first two elections, in the sense that the electors just unanimously voted for George Washington. When he declined to run for a third term, however, the political parties that were beginning to form at the time gamed the system by putting forth electoral candidates who pledged to vote for specific people for president, and the system has been fundamentally undermined ever since (As I recall, both Alexander Hamilton and James Madison--who very much did not get along politically--both decried pledged electors as being completely against the spirit of the system they had created).
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2022-11-04 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    It's not gerrymandering because there aren't districts.

The popular vote isn't a good metric. Because you have the problem where a few cities/states control the entire election.
    You are flat out, mathematically Wrong. Right now, in an electoral college, That is the literal case. They fight hardest for battle ground states and ignore smaller states for the most part because the battle ground states are the ones that can determine who wins. Thus the terminology battleground states.

As for how you are wrong about the "few cities would control the entire election". The top 10 cities in the US only account for 5% of the total US population. So they would absolutely not control the entire election. Not to mention the false assumption that 1)everyone in those cities will vote and 2) they will vote for the same party.

The fact is, just like with these midterms, we need majority rule. I, myself, will be voting on the 8th. Unlike how I felt during the presidential election, I know my vote will impact these.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Since 92, this is correct. I was just narrowing to the start of the 21st century as a clean starting point, and the start of the "modern" Republican party. The last time that Republicans actually consistently won elections while winning the popular vote was the 80's, as you note.
    I'd put that in '94 with Newt Gingrich.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    You are flat out, mathematically Wrong.
    I feel like we don't really need to debate the anti-democratic nature of the Electoral College literally every election season. The only people who believe otherwise (about the system, not the merit of talking about it over and over again) are those whose "team" can only win with its handicap in place. And since these are the same people who desperately cling to the lies of people like Trump in the face of all the evidence demonstrating that they are obvious lies...there doesn't seem much point arguing with them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think you've claimed that the change in prices is "100%" a product of corporate greed. This seems trivially false. Do you agree that some price changes are accounted for by changes in money supply and fiscal stimulus? For example, the price of houses increased sharply in 2020 and 2021 - do you think that's a result of profiteering or (at least in part) market changes driven by policy?
    Didnt Katie Porter show a nice spreadsheet in a hearing in congress the otherr day? Where in the current inflationary cycle corporate profits was 54% of the rise of inflation compared to earler cycles it had been about 10% or so?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    The shade! My god the shade!

The internet leftists, the DC/NY leftists, academia, and journo-sphere leftists are all really good at pageantry and right-side-of-history rhetorical angles. But their actual power comes down to Democrats in marginal districts that know uttering 99% of the things said here will push voters away and alienate the persuadable. Democrat Abigail Spanberger, railing against Pelosi for midterm losses in 2020 that brought Republicans close to a majority, said if national & The Squad Democrats rhetoric kept up through 2022, "We will get f****** torn apart."
    The sad part is that if you and your fellow conservatives went full mask off with what you want to say, or have said on these forums, it would drive even more people away.

Though admittedly, it would attract a lot of ultra right racists and probably a few nazis. Why is it that nazis are always drawn to right wing rhetoric anyway?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Though admittedly, it would attract a lot of ultra right racists and probably a few nazis. Why is it that nazis are always drawn to right wing rhetoric anyway?
    Don't need to attract, they are already there and voting. Heck in some cases they are the candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    The sad part is that if you and your fellow conservatives went full mask off with what you want to say, or have said on these forums, it would drive even more people away.

Full mask off to this crew, as you intend it, is validating all the insane attacks regularly leveled against right-of-center citizens. These attacks are just what progs and other Dems have to keep a lid on to have a chance at majorities. Chuck in a hefty helping of elitism on top of that. The most obvious one is “How dare you care about crime and inflation, we’ve got a Democracy to save here!”

And all the while Dem groups funneled tens of millions of dollars into the most Trumpy candidates in the primary. The message really is “You have to care about defending democracy more than us.”

But don't worry, its a free country. You can still complain about nazis and fascists when your party loses elections.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Full mask off to this crew, as you intend it, is validating all the insane attacks regularly leveled against right-of-center citizens. These attacks are just what progs and other Dems have to keep a lid on to have a chance at majorities. Chuck in a hefty helping of elitism on top of that. The most obvious one is “How dare you care about crime and inflation, we’ve got a Democracy to save here!”

And all the while Dem groups funneled tens of millions of dollars into the most Trumpy candidates in the primary. The message really is “You have to care about defending democracy more than us.”

But don't worry, its a free country. You can still complain about nazis and fascists when your party loses elections.
    Oh man, you actually believe it's right-wingers who are under threat of violence from their opponents, in the USA, statistically speaking? You're completely out to fuckin' lunch, mate. That's looney-tunes crazypants "the moon is CHEESE for the LIZARDGOD" levels of disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Oh man, you actually believe it's right-wingers who are under threat of violence from their opponents, in the USA, statistically speaking? You're completely out to fuckin' lunch, mate. That's looney-tunes crazypants "the moon is CHEESE for the LIZARDGOD" levels of disconnect.
    It's all projection. Every grievance, radical policy and being a victim is projection. It really has become this simple.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I'm dreading the days after the election, where people will talk about how Texas, Florida, and Georgia are shitholes and should just secede (especially Texas).

The Democrats deserve some blame if Republicans win big in those states. Beto, Abrams and Crist aren't the kind of candidates that get Democrats in Texas, Florida and Georgia excited.