Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Nope, there is no "Steam Link" app for Windows, Mac, or Linux. What it means is that you can install Steam Link on any non-computer device (FireStick, Google TV, Apple TV, some smart TVs) and then stream from a computer with Steam on it.

If you want to use another computer as the streaming device, you have to use In-Home Streaming, with both machines running full-up Steam.
    8gb laptop is out of my budget atm, I plan to keep it around 100$, I don't want to spend much because it will not be an important device for me.

Does the above apply for chromeOS laptops as well? can they not run steam link either?

I can't believe they don't make it clear enough with this "all major devices and platforms", I was almost ready to buy a laptop believing it would work.

I really trust steam link because I use it often, almost daily, I even got to 80 in classic with it on my tv, I don't want to gamble with other remote desktop software, I suppose laptops will work with other software but based on this info, I now favor tablet, it is also cheaper. I will probably buy a 10inch one and combine it with a keyboard case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    8gb laptop is out of my budget atm, I plan to keep it around 100$, I don't want to spend much because it will not be an important device for me.
    You're not going to find a very satisfactory solution for 100$.

Does the above apply for chromeOS laptops as well? can they not run steam link either?
    Currently, they can run the Android Steam Link app, but performance can be spotty depending on the specs of the Chromebook in question, because it is essentially emulating Android. (All modern Chromebooks can run Android apps).

However, there is a native Steam client in the works for ChromeOS, and i think you can use the beta version right now. There are companies gearing up to sell "gaming Chromebooks" once its in full release. So you with that, you'd use In-Home Streaming (as it would be running a full version of Steam).

I can't believe they don't make it clear enough with this "all major devices and platforms", I was almost ready to buy a laptop believing it would work.
    It will. Youll just have to use In-Home Streaming instead of a Steam Link app. But you werent going to find a worthwhile laptop for 100$.

I really trust steam link because I use it often, almost daily, I even got to 80 in classic with it on my tv, I don't want to gamble with other remote desktop software, I suppose laptops will work with other software but based on this info, I now favor tablet, it is also cheaper. I will probably buy a 10inch one and combine it with a keyboard case.
    From a perspeective of how it behaves when you use it, In-Home Streaming and using the Steam Link app on a streamer/tablet are identical. Its just the underlying software that is different.

I guess you could check Facebook Market/Craigslist (or whatever equivalent near you) for a used Laptop.

But any 100$ Android tablet you can find is going to be -awful-.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who is notorious for getting portable, often questionable brand devices on sale/clearance.. I can vouch for this. It's just one of those things that is real hard to skimp on price with.

Maybe someone has a Steam Link (the device, not the app) on sale for cheap? They aren't produced anymore.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

As a standalone device maybe but why awful combined with steam link since specs don't matter at all?

Even my very small smartphone is bearable, now that I see there is ethernet/usb/charging into one then I could potentially use my smartphone if there is a keyboard case for this. I thought I needed a separate usb.

I even played wow on my smartphone once, it worked

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    As a standalone device maybe but why awful combined with steam link since specs don't matter at all?

Even my very small smartphone is bearable, now that I see there is ethernet/usb/charging into one then I could potentially use my smartphone if there is a keyboard case for this. I thought I needed a separate usb.

I even played wow on my smartphone once, it worked
    How did you play World of Warcraft on your smartphone?
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    How did you play World of Warcraft on your smartphone?
    Steam link

I launched it with steam and played with the track cursor or w/e it h as, however you can play it with keyboard/mouse or controller too, the screen was small but I could see fine, certainly not worse than any other mobile game. A 10 inch tablet is much larger than this.