Dual monitor on 1 HDMI output

Hi,

My laptop has only 1 HDMI output and that currently feeds a monitor. I'd like a second monitor but I'm seeing conflicting info on how to do this. Some articles suggest an HDMI splitter will work where as others say it will only repeat the same display from my first monitor to my second and that's not what i want.

I'm also seeing newer monitors having USB-C (I think) ports and that I could buy a cable and run that to a USB port on my laptop and it would work.

Any idea of best approach to get true dual monitors?

Thanks!
    As others have said extraterrestrial life is almost certain given the size of the universe. Are they anal probing rednecks? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by meckeard View Post
    Hi,

My laptop has only 1 HDMI output and that currently feeds a monitor. I'd like a second monitor but I'm seeing conflicting info on how to do this. Some articles suggest an HDMI splitter will work where as others say it will only repeat the same display from my first monitor to my second and that's not what i want.

I'm also seeing newer monitors having USB-C (I think) ports and that I could buy a cable and run that to a USB port on my laptop and it would work.

Any idea of best approach to get true dual monitors?

Thanks!
    Sadly, no. You can use the laptop display and a monitor. But you don't have any other video outs. For USB-C to work you would have to have a thunderbolt/displayport out. Which laptop do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Sadly, no. You can use the laptop display and a monitor. But you don't have any other video outs. For USB-C to work you would have to have a thunderbolt/displayport out. Which laptop do you have?
    Here is my latop:

https://www.costco.com/msi-leopard-g...100792120.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    Depending on what you plan to put on it, USB might work. Problem though with USB display adapters is they use the CPU to do rasterization, so any application that needs it will run like crap.

The right answer is to use a desktop but if that's not an option, then getting a large ultrawide or 4K (as long as your laptop's HDMI port is version 2.0 or 2.1). I can figure out if your laptop's USB-C port supports something like displayport passthrough which would simply require an adapter to work if you can give us a model+specs for your laptop.
    How can I verify my HDMI port?

I have considered a larger monitor but the expense to move up from a 32" is higher than a second monitor.
    As others have said extraterrestrial life is almost certain given the size of the universe. Are they anal probing rednecks? Probably not.

Here is my latop:

https://www.costco.com/msi-leopard-g...100792120.html

- - - Updated - - -

How can I verify my HDMI port?

I have considered a larger monitor but the expense to move up from a 32" is higher than a second monitor.
    Oh perfect you have a mini displayport on the back. Just need to get a mini-dp to dp or mini-dp to hdmi cable.

I checked the specsheet on the msi site. It seems it's hdmi 2.1 and the displayport is 1.4. Monitor size doesn't really change much.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2022-12-01 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Oh perfect you have a mini displayport on the back. Just need to get a mini-dp to dp or mini-dp to hdmi cable.

I checked the specsheet on the msi site. It seems it's hdmi 2.1 and the displayport is 1.4. Monitor size doesn't really change much.
    I was wondering what that port was. I see the letter "P" under it but never found out.

Sweet, thanks. I will look for a cable and monitor. Thanks a lot!

I was wondering what that port was. I see the letter "P" under it but never found out.

Sweet, thanks. I will look for a cable and monitor. Thanks a lot!
    If you look closely, youll notice its actually a stylized “DP”, one hidden in another.