Poll: Which tank ?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What tank you prefer to invite in your mythic+ as a leader ?

Hey guys just curious wanna see if its just me or no , just dont want to spoil

lets see what tank you prefer overall (if all scores are same and ilvl) i know every week is different but its an overall question

thanks

My personal tier:

S -- BDK, Prot War
    A -- Guardian, DH, Prot Pally
    Lower than dogshit -- Brewmaster

10+ Year Old Account
    Myself.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

The one who knows the run and how to play around affixes. Tank differences aren't important right now to warrant any other answers, except in super high keys.

The answer is almost always: the current meta pick (all other things being equal), because there's an overabundance of applications in almost all brackets and if you can afford to choose why WOULDN'T you choose the best?

For tanks there may be a dearth at certain brackets so just invite whoever applies, but if you have the choice, go with Prot Warr right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufifi View Post
    The one who knows the run and how to play around affixes. Tank differences aren't important right now to warrant any other answers, except in super high keys.
    There's something to be said about tank players who do not know how to properly use their mitigation tools in lower keys. I've had 10s feel like 20s and 20s feel like 10s, all dependent on the skill of the tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slashcry86 View Post
    I know , its just if everything is equal which tank you prefer ??
    Everything isn't equal which is why people have preferences, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Myself.

What that do with my question ??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sufifi View Post
    I know , its just if everything is equal which tank you prefer ??

any, honestly. Highest rating decides.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tank that knows how to use their kit correctly. The tank that knows the tech for the dungeon. The tank that's willing to coordinate with the rest of the group, especially with the healer.

The tank you know personally and have some kind of reciprocal accountability toward.

The 2600 io week 2 tank.

The warrior tank in greens.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

If all things are equal sure pick the prot war because there is less room for error. I would still invite a higher rated brewmaster over a lower rated prot war, in that situation the brewmaster is likely a far superior player that is going to min max the route and pulls better than the prot war. Tbh any brewmaster with a high score is an absolute baller player because they have to be on point to even do the content right now where as a gorilla could play a prot war at 80% efficiency so if a prot war isn't extremely highly rated they are probably a bad player who is going to take bad routes and do bad pulls.

as a healer i prefer prot warriors all day. literally dont even need to direct heal them. ever. next would be monks. druids and DH are horrible to heal. so spikey. i actually have to spam them at times to get them up. its night and day healing a 10-15 with a warrior/monk, compared to druid/DH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If all things are equal sure pick the prot war because there is less room for error. I would still invite a higher rated brewmaster over a lower rated prot war, in that situation the brewmaster is likely a far superior player that is going to min max the route and pulls better than the prot war. Tbh any brewmaster with a high score is an absolute baller player because they have to be on point to even do the content right now where as a gorilla could play a prot war at 80% efficiency so if a prot war isn't extremely highly rated they are probably a bad player who is going to take bad routes and do bad pulls.
    ^^^^100%^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    as a healer i prefer prot warriors all day. literally dont even need to direct heal them. ever. next would be monks. druids and DH are horrible to heal. so spikey. i actually have to spam them at times to get them up. its night and day healing a 10-15 with a warrior/monk, compared to druid/DH.
    Best advice about healing a DH is to just not heal them. Basic maintenance heals as usual for sure but there is no need to spam heal them. If it's a dangerous pull help them out with an external but still never spam heal them. They are always going to look squishy right on pull before frailty is stacked up but they are going to heal all that damage back through souls and leech and the pack isn't going to hurt them much once frailty and painbringer is stacked and unless they have to leave melee they can keep basic stacks up forever.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-12-29 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Myself.

After trying, in vain, to do a Nok 8-10 on my Warlock with pug tanks who cannot keep aggro or pull correctly, I'm leveling yet another tank for the expansion to go with my other 4 tanks I've leveled.

How you DPS players deal with tanks that cannot do their job..... I just can't. I can't do it.

So yea, Atrea is right...... ME. That's who I prefer.

if the rio and ilvl is the same then any of the same armor type as my current character is my preference other than that i couldnt care less, "better" spec/clas does in no way mean he will perform better

I mean meta is warr which is op compared to the rest. I play pala tank myself, but if I didn't know them from adam, I would invite a meta, right?
    But tbh depends what lvl of key. On small keys I would take anything. Probably a non meta too, so they get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    My personal tier:

S -- BDK, Prot War
    A -- Guardian, DH, Prot Pally
    Lower than dogshit -- Brewmaster
    I'll give you guys a little tip if you're running keys below 10 Prot Paladin is an S++ tank if you're running 15s Prot Paladin is still and S+ tank and if you're running 20 voiceless Prot Paladin is still S tier.

If you're pugging readjust Prot Paladin to S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    My guess is you're probably overestimating the role the tank plays. M+ happens so quickly that people rarely actually check to find out why a death happened. Sometimes it's dps who fail to interrupt. Sometimes it's a healer who's a bit too focused on doing dps and you're sitting there wildly hitting every cooldown you can find while they're casually throwing minimum hps your way (this is also terrible if you play a tank that needs more external healing - see my brewmaster post below). But because it's always "gogogo" and the impact of all those problems tends to be tank deaths, everyone tends to put too much of the blame on the tank. Sure, sometimes the tank just sucks, but quite often it's just that they are the ones who die so people assume it's their fault. As an observer it's really hard to notice things like "hey this healer really isn't doing much tank healing" or "we've only interrupted 15 of the 20 spells we should have" - the more common reaction is the caveman "tank die so tank bad" response.

- - - Updated - - -

Brewmaster was like this last expansion too. I played one at launch and you could find tier lists that would say they were S tier, which was bullshit. Their strength was always mitigating spike physical damage, but they had low health, and they didn't really mitigate spike magic damage (which is the big risk for pug tanks in mythic+ - lack of interrupts), and they needed more external hps than other tanks. I switched to my bear and rocketed to KSM in like 2 weeks, and it was way lower gear than the brewmaster, it was just a lot more forgiving to imperfect play.

- - - Updated - - -

Tanks are quite often the least experienced player in the group, because it's easier to get into groups as a tank. This definitely contributes to dps frustration with the people who do tank.
    No tanks tend to be the most experienced players in the group because you cant afk mode through the dungeons you will die to mechanics if you dont know what they do.

Maybe this is true in +5. In any real key not even remotely

Myself, because I'm playing a tank.

When I heal, I generally just prefer a tank that isn't a DK or DH. The spike damage is annoying.

Tanks are quite often the least experienced player in the group, because it's easier to get into groups as a tank. This definitely contributes to dps frustration with the people who do tank.
    Source for that claim ?

Tanks have to know the route, the % count, what to pull to account for butt pulling from DPS. They set the general pace and speed of the dungeon. Healer/tank have to pick-up the slack from dps not kicking stuff or standing in bad. Nothing beats getting called a dog tank when the dps stack 4 bleeds in two jumps from Fenryr, how am I responsible for this exactly ? In low keys sure, tanks can just press W and time stuff. If you're looking to push even a tiny bit, you better have your routes setup.

DPS's job : don't stand in frontals, pop CDs and kick stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Quote Originally Posted by Azharok View Post
    and a lot of DPS still dont do 2/3 of that

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Myself, because I'm playing a tank.

When I heal, I generally just prefer a tank that isn't a DK or DH. The spike damage is annoying.
    you need to learn to play around the spike damage. kind of just ignore it, because it's part of their kit.
    I love having dk's and dh's (that also know their class), i can sit around and dps instead of spam heal them.

- - - Updated - - -

strong agree with this claim. more than half of tanks are the least experienced in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Azharok View Post
    Source for that claim ?

Tanks have to know the route, the % count, what to pull to account for butt pulling from DPS. They set the general pace and speed of the dungeon. Healer/tank have to pick-up the slack from dps not kicking stuff or standing in bad. Nothing beats getting called a dog tank when the dps stack 4 bleeds in two jumps from Fenryr, how am I responsible for this exactly ? In low keys sure, tanks can just press W and time stuff. If you're looking to push even a tiny bit, you better have your routes setup.

It's not hard to copy pasta a route from raider.io. So many tanks have the pacing wrong, don't watch for dps cd's and pull big when no one has available dps buttons and then blame dps for stuff not dying. Many tanks use their cd's at the wrong times or not at all. It's easy to think you're good when you are a tank, until you see what an actual good tank plays like.
    Last edited by Runicblood; 2023-01-02 at 08:16 AM.
    I 3d print stuff