Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't dislike dragon riding or mind it at all, but the hyperbolic praise some folks give it is baffling.

It's an okay way to get around, but it's hardly exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The complaints about not being to AFK in the air is pretty high quality bait though. While I would love the feature, the zones have so much verticality that you can accomplish the same thing by landing on the thousands of towers, cliffs, or mountain sides everywhere in the zone. Or you can just uh, take a flight path while you AFK.
    Disagree. Sometimes we need to go AFK quickly and we don't have to time to go searching for a flight path or a safe place to land. Not being able to hover is a valid complaint. It's like if ground mounts could never stop walking.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I'll agree on Dragonriding. It's exhausting. I haven't played in a few weeks now because the thought of Dragonriding has turned me off.

It was cool at first, but quickly became a chore. I overshoot my landing. Oops. Fly up again. Oops...too fast. Zing! Past my landing spot again. Let me circle around again. Boom! Close enough...I'll ground mount over to where I actually wanted to land. Or I just simply want to fly straight up to get to a cliff. With normal flying, this is simple, with Dragonriding it's a chore.
    This, all of this.

I have not logged in since week one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    Dragonflight is so far the best expansion ever made imo. I'm convinced 95% of the people complaining about dragonriding just don't even have the glyphs unlocked yet
    I got them all and I still don't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    incorrect. twinking (low rated pvp) had no reward behind it. but it was growing like a weed. blizz went out of their way to kill it. had they left it alone, it would grown into a legitimate new game mode on it own without input from the devs. but the devs crushed it and for horrifically bad reasons like "some players were annoyed". that would have been a new cash cow, but a few players whined so welp lets destroy it. brilliant.
    If by "some players were annoyed" you mean "new players couldn't play PvP" then sure.

They also didn't go out of their way to kill it. They even made their own special BG queue for twinks and it died, because twinks didn't want to fight each other. Turns out twinking was all about 1 shooting new players and ruining their experience in the game.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2023-01-01 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    Dragon riding feels like a chore and nothing like flying and you can’t stop in midair.

Story seems very boring with generic characters in each zone.

Main villain seems like a typical WoW villain with a deep voice

Professions seems like more time gating with archaeology still being bad and not fixed.
    I don't care about the story, so I cant comment on this.
    But in all honesty, I did not believe there was a single who like old flying better than dragonflying. Old flying is the most boring afk thing ever.

It is so funny to me, when people "dislike" time-gating. This argument comes up with valor as well. Would you really prefer to be able tospam profession quests without a cooldown? Because in that case, you'd either do a 50 (?) hour grind or you'd be unable to profit from crafting anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aesahaettr View Post
    I don't dislike dragon riding or mind it at all, but the hyperbolic praise some folks give it is baffling.

It's an okay way to get around, but it's hardly exciting.
    It's just the right amount of engaging IMO. You need to control it to some extent, so that you don't just mount, autorun, and grab a drink, but you can still chat/watch videos and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    It is so funny to me, when people "dislike" time-gating. This argument comes up with valor as well. Would you really prefer to be able tospam profession quests without a cooldown? Because in that case, you'd either do a 50 (?) hour grind or you'd be unable to profit from crafting anything.
    Yeah, exactly. If there was no gate at all people would no life professions to max and anyone who didn't do that would be unable to sell much of anything. At which point why even bother doing professions at all?

This is a case where people who no life something would very much ruin it for everyone else.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2023-01-01 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, exactly. If there was no gate at all people would no life professions to max and anyone who didn't do that would be unable to sell much of anything. At which point why even bother doing professions at all?

This is a case where people who no life something would very much ruin it for everyone else.
    Time gating and borrowed power is such a buzz word. Just because they were implemented badly does not mean they are inherently bad. WoW without borrowed would be boring, or we would need much more frequent class redesigns, which essentially model borrowed power.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    Time gating and borrowed power is such a buzz word. Just because they were implemented badly does not mean they are inherently bad. WoW without borrowed would be boring, or we would need much more frequent class redesigns, which essentially model borrowed power.
    But it can do semi-permanent damage, such as player fatigue, which we can pretty much see. It causes extreme reaction to any kind of "sameness". No wonder they had to full stop with borrowed power. God knows how many years till the playerbase can swallow anything that feels borrowed power again. If it wasn't pushed to the absolute limits, then it wouldn't be this bad from the players PoV.
    This is an MMO, not a call of duty shit. The game keeps on continuing with the same players, in the same game. Fuck something up (enough), and players will remember for years. There's no restart from scratch, the devs and the players have to live with these fuckups.
    Last edited by Lei; 2023-01-01 at 12:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im not sure whats you problem with df guys
    You can use fp if you want alt tab chill
    And in other scenarios you can fly to any place from valdraken in under 5 mins so its pretty fast peaced

Ppls are getting \played or something?

It also hammered bot gathering and make it actually pretty rewarding for once longer than 3 days after release
    Last edited by kosajk; 2023-01-01 at 12:49 PM.

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

Quote Originally Posted by Belmorn View Post
    Dont like dragonriding myself either as it makes flying to some place on the map and be tabbed out near impossible
    This is literally what flight paths are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    But it can do semi-permanent damage, such as player fatigue, which we can pretty much see. It causes extreme reaction to any kind of "sameness". No wonder they had to full stop with borrowed power. God knows how many years till the playerbase can swallow anything that feels borrowed power again. If it wasn't pushed to the absolute limits, then it wouldn't be this bad from the players PoV.
    This is an MMO, not a call of duty shit. The game keeps on continuing with the same players, in the same game. Fuck something up (enough), and players will remember for years. There's no restart from scratch, the devs and the players have to live with these fuckups.
    ???
    There is literally borrowed power in the game right now. And you wouldn't want an expac without borrowed power. You want your talent builds and playstyle to not be static for 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    Dragonriding will Def go away after this xpac , this is the xpacs borrowed power.
    Wrong. Blizzard has acknowledged its achilles heel has been borrowed power, and Blizzard devs have openly stated they are moving away from it.

They've already acknowledged that dragon riding is something the player base seems to love and how much of a shame it would be if it went away completely.

In other words... no. Guaranteed it's staying after this expansion in some form that allows fast flying mount riding with the same sort of control-based system. Come back and look at this post in two years, I guarantee you I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post

Dragonriding is not a chore Its playing Dragonflight.
    Totally agree to your whole post and especially this - not only is it playing Dragonflight.....everytime I am in the old world flying now, its is just stale and I want my dragonriding. The only thing sort of better in the old flying was the ability to aim at tight or inconvinient spots and hove, but I think for now it is also "git gud"

Quote Originally Posted by Alteiry View Post
    This is literally what flight paths are for.
    it's also literally what flying was until 5 weeks ago.
    "flight paths exist" is not the 5d chess master move you people think it is as a means of debunking the preference for the conveniences of traditional flying.

when you introduce a change to a well established system the onus is on justifying the change, not justifying the way the system had been previously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by damonskye View Post
    Because I think you'll find that dragonriding is, in fact, one of the most popular features of the game in the past ten years
    if you don't mind, may i ask by what metric you came to this conclusion?
    Last edited by Malkiah; 2023-01-01 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    it's also literally what flying was until 5 weeks ago.
    "flight paths exist" is not the 5d chess master move you people think it is as a means of debunking the preference for the conveniences of traditional flying.

when you introduce a change to a well established system the onus is on justifying the change, not justifying the way the system had been previously.
    You realize the alternative isn't flying right? The alternative is no flying at all for over a year until the pathfinding achievement is introduced like it was for the last 4 expansions.

I will gladly take dragon riding over being forced on the ground again.

You realize the alternative isn't flying right? The alternative is no flying at all for over a year until the pathfinding achievement is introduced like it was for the last 4 expansions.

and here we have the crux of it. this is exactly why a good number of people are happy with dragonflying. not because its better the old fashioned flying. but because its better then being stuck on the ground for a year.

Dragonflying is far too unforgiving of minor errors.

and fuck off you all with your L2P bullshit. I shouldn't have to plan perfectly how and where I land to pluck a herb, or flying to quest giver and landing JUST right on a first time. Its the same bullshit as expecting people to know all the group fights perfectly on goddamn release and do homework instead of learning the fight together.

with regular flight I don't have to worry about aiming and juggling altitudes just right to have enough vigor left to lift off again, I can just stop on a whim. fly up on a whim. fly down on a whim. I can go slow, or fast, I can climb suddenly and not be stopped by running out of momentum/vigor. if I start flying down, I don't speed up and plummet into the ground with regular flight.

Dragonflying is better the NO flying. but its not even remotely better then regular flight. its just faster some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    you do realise dragonriding is something ON TOP of things you had at this time of expansions for nearly a decade now?
    so if you dont like it, options that were there on start of previous 4 expansions are STILL THERE for you to use, you can completely ignore DF, hell during the campaign there are points where you have to "get up" (only one near azure vault comes to mind, but theres more) and even there you dont have to use DR you can use teleportation evice put there just for people like you who dont want to use DR...
    in short, they made sure you DONT HAVE TO use DR, and here you are bitching you DONT WANT TO use it... so solution seems simple, just dont use it, rather than whine like a little kid others have something YOU dont want...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2023-01-01 at 09:21 PM.

Why is that the only alternative? Because you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Why is that the only alternative? Because you say so?
    Because that's how Blizzard has been designing expansions for almost a decade at this point.

while technically a fair point regarding dragon flying vs no flying, that's not the point being made that you were responding to - that is strictly regarding the mechanics of dragon flying vs. traditional flying and that's irrelevant to your comment about flight paths.

a valid argument, but one i actually disagree with, IF we're talking about ideal hypothetical scenarios.
    i'd prefer a ground based zone with good design (ie korthia) over the current iteration of needlessly gigantic zones that are only so large in order to counter-design against the speed of dragon flying... but that's just an issue of personal preference so i won't argue that point on the basis of subjectivity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    you do realise dragonriding is something ON TOP of things you had at this time of expansions for nearly a decade now?
    that is technically true, but the broader context is comparing "zone design with dragon flying" vs "zone design with no flying", because without that i feel the argument is incomplete.
    now of course, one has to consider that there is a lot of precedent for poorly designed ground zones (i'm looking very angrily at you, the entirety of the legion expansion), but there have also been a number of decently designed ground zones especially in recent years.

in short, they made sure you DONT HAVE TO use DR, and here you are bitching you DONT WANT TO use it... so solution seems simple, just dont use it, rather than whine like a little kid others have something YOU dont want...
    i'm not bitching that i don't want to use it, i'm pointing out that there are people who don't enjoy it and that there are a myriad of reasons to not enjoy it.
    i don't care for DR, but every wow expansion has had things i didn't care for in some capacity or another so it's not like DR is somehow uniquely awful in the grand scope of the game's history.
    but my personal disdain for DR is secondary to the fact that DR bros on these forums are seemingly mentally incapable of grasping the idea that there is validity to the reasons some people don't like it.