Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    It's a shame you cannot enjoy the movie as it was meant to be. An immersive Pandora theme ride with a basic (if even so) story.

- - - Updated - - -

Read above.
    Thankfully the reality is that's not "how they were meant to be enjoyed" and merely one of several perfectly valid and equally immersive ways to enjoy them.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2023-01-13 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Thankfully the reality is that's not "how they were meant to be enjoyed" and merely one of several perfectly valid and equally immersive ways to enjoy them.
    Since you cannot experience it, sadly you cannot claim that. The movie would be a total underwhelming cinematic experience without 3d. Borderline to bad.
    /spit@Blizzard

Cameron has said that the intended experience is 3D but it's not the end of the world if you see it in 2D.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Cameron has said that the intended experience is 3D but it's not the end of the world if you see it in 2D.
    Obviously. But after watching this in 3D, i fear that the 2D watching will be uncomparable, because then you have to focus on the actual movie. Story, plots, characters etc, and less on the environment and the setting.
    /spit@Blizzard

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Since you cannot experience it, sadly you cannot claim that. The movie would be a total underwhelming cinematic experience without 3d. Borderline to bad.
    I have experienced it, but you could not have known that the migraines for 3d are new for me, though why you'd pretend you did is anyones guess. Its cool that you have that opinion though. Thankfully opinions and facts aren't the same thing. For example- even without the migraines, I still considered 3d to be the best way to ruin a movie. Yet I freely admit thats nothing more than my own taste and somehow I don't feel the urge to pretend that's true for everyone- fancy that.

(Addition: It's kind of perplexing to me. I'm catching up on the RoP thread and I see you talking about how silly it is to present an opinion as objective fact. Yet here you are, doing the same thing. You might consider following your own advice?)
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2023-01-13 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I have experienced it, but you could not have known that the migraines for 3d are new for me, though why you'd pretend you did is anyones guess. Its cool that you have that opinion though. Thankfully opinions and facts aren't the same thing. For example- even without the migraines, I still considered 3d to be the best way to ruin a movie. Yet I freely admit thats nothing more than my own taste and somehow I don't feel the urge to pretend that's true for everyone- fancy that.

(Addition: It's kind of perplexing to me. I'm catching up on the RoP thread and I see you talking about how silly it is to present an opinion as objective fact. Yet here you are, doing the same thing. You might consider following your own advice?)
    I am perplexed as well. You seem to confuse my opinion on the merits (and faults) of this specific movie with facts.

Personally i view this particular movie in it's 3D version as anal sex with lube. Some claim it hurts anyway, others swear by it as the most exquisite sexual experience they ever had.

Without lube, probably hurts a bit. Or a lot. To each their own, i guess.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    What happent to the chief of the water tribe and the other water people?

After spider broke the big boat you just did not see any water tribe members for the rest of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    r ‘Avatar 3,’ which is already in the can – we’ve already captured and photographed the whole film,
    That is quite shocking to me.

Did not think they were that far along

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post

It makes sense for pre-approved large series to batch the shoots, so you can be more efficient. Same reason they basically shot the entire LotR trilogy as one movie - you have all the people and equipment already there, and so on.

It's a gamble if you don't know how well a film will do (and therefore whether a sequel will be worth it) but for a pretty much sure-fire success like Avatar that's not a big risk.

5+ Year Old Account

It's the kids, they would have grown older between the movies so Cameron wanted to get all the footage in one go

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    What happent to the chief of the water tribe and the other water people?

After spider broke the big boat you just did not see any water tribe members for the rest of the action.
    No idea. Perhaps after seeing the Seadragon crashed or the wall of fire encircled the boat, they thought it was no longer a threat and withdrew and began counting their losses.

Avatar 2 and 3, and the first part of 4 were filmed simultaneously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    It's the kids, they would have grown older between the movies so Cameron wanted to get all the footage in one go
    It is kinda strange since every kid except Spider is currently playing a CGI character, so it shouldn't matter how old they are if their final appearance is determined by a CGI modeler. The only reason to wait that I can think of is that perhaps the kids get reverse-Avatared into human bodies when the story goes back to Earth.

It is kinda strange since every kid except Spider is currently playing a CGI character, so it shouldn't matter how old they are if their final appearance is determined by a CGI modeler. The only reason to wait that I can think of is that perhaps the kids get reverse-Avatared into human bodies when the story goes back to Earth.
    The kids are not why they shot it all at once. That's a nice side benefit, but the main advantage is just saving massive amounts of money on logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The kids are not why they shot it all at once. That's a nice side benefit, but the main advantage is just saving massive amounts of money on logistics.
    Except Cameron specifically said that this was precisely the reason for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Except Cameron specifically said that this was precisely the reason for that.
    I'm sure he did.

I'm also sure that's just not what the main reason was, because saving MILLIONS vs. having slightly older children most of which are CGI anyway makes it pretty clear.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I'm sure he did.

I'm also sure that's just not what the main reason was, because saving MILLIONS vs. having slightly older children most of which are CGI anyway makes it pretty clear.
    You just can't stand being wrong, huh?

The last time was a definition, then it was YOUR definition.

This time, you seem to know more details about the Avatar 2,3,4 production than their creator.

And while what you say MIGHT be right, dismissing what the Cameron has himself publicly mentioned as a "nice side benefit" and posting the "main reason" like you sat in a producer meeting is really too much.

Unless you have access to the production estimates before and costs after production, you're just bringing an owl to Athens and post about something like it's a fact, when it's just an estimated guess.

- - - Updated - - -

It might be that the CGI is automated to cover the real actors body and face, complete with facial expressions, so having the kids grown would screw that and require extra production time and cost to bring it to the 2nd movie standards.

On the other hand, we have Weaver's teen character played by a mature woman. Not sure if someone else played the role and Weaver just voiced it, though.

Maybe "the making of"-extended version (on a blu-ray edition, i suppose) could give us more answers.
    /spit@Blizzard

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Nears $1.9B WW As It Closes In On ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ – International Box Office.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/avatar-...ce-1235222402/
    Nancy Tartaglione - January 15, 2023 8:24AM PST

The estimated global cume through Sunday is $1.894B. Avatar 2 still ranks as the No. 7 biggest movie of all time. Ahead of it at No. 6 is Spider-Man: No Way Home with $1.921B, so it should overtake that early this week.

After strong mid-weeks, the 20th Century Studios/Disney sequel added $88.6M at the international box office this weekend (-36%), bringing its offshore total to $1.331B. It remains the No. 5 biggest overseas release ever, behind Avatar, Avengers: Endgame, Titanic and Avengers: Infinity War. It’s closing in on Infinity War ($1.37B) to jump up a notch on the international chart. It is already the top release internationally of the pandemic era.

China is still the top market, passing $200M to land at $211.8M through Sunday. It is now the highest grossing studio film of the pandemic era, passing F9. It has also passed the original release of Avatar ($204M). WoW will enjoy extended play in the Middle Kingdom, although its strong run will be challenged by the arrival of Chinese New Year on January 22 when several local titles will take up a lot of air.

China is followed by France at $120.5M, Germany’s $106.9M, Korea’s $92.7M, the UK at $76.8M, India ($56.7M), Australia ($50.9M), Mexico ($48.8M), Spain ($43.7M) and Italy ($43.1M).

Avatar: The Way of Water remained the No. 1 non-local movie in all markets across its fifth weekend, save for Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Paraguay and Central America.

No shit it's grossing so much, it's the most expensive movie i've ever went to (27.50, just regular ole 3d, not even IMAX which was more expensive).
    It's def not because it's so good. The 3d as always makes the movie dark and blurry which sucks ass and the story was almost the same as the first (they even resurrected the first bad guy wtf) where earth comes for magic new substance (why did they give up on the first one? it's still there...).
    I also thought that compared to some korean sci-fi movies and games nowadays the CGI wasn't THAT good.
    First avatar stood out because at that time it WAS amazing compared to other things, nowadays, meh.

Doubt i'll go see the 3rd and 4th in theaters, will wait till they are either on blue-ray or streaming, if not simply coz 3d sucks.

5+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the premise for third movie sounds a lot better than 2nd, which was a repeat of 1st. Want to see the fire Na'vi n their impact

It might be that the CGI is automated to cover the real actors body and face, complete with facial expressions, so having the kids grown would screw that and require extra production time and cost to bring it to the 2nd movie standards.

On the other hand, we have Weaver's teen character played by a mature woman. Not sure if someone else played the role and Weaver just voiced it, though.

Maybe "the making of"-extended version (on a blu-ray edition, i suppose) could give us more answers.
    It's Sigourney Weaver doing the motion capture and voicing Kiri.

I was 'forced' to watch this in theater today... and was super positively surprised.
    No political corectness, showing traditional family relationships and bonds, amazing visuals and i think it was like more than 3hrs long.
    Strong 9/10 from me.