Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Who made up the idea that gaming is relaxing?

We can call it distraction - a virtual get away, only to replace IRL stuff with ingame activities. But gaming never been relaxing, since the invention of the internet.

WoW is basicly a job interview and the CV is the achievements.
    No broski. Gaming is supposed to be FUN. If you think fun is something challenging then there are gaming types out there to scratch that itch. If you want ultimate relaxation then there are games for that too. BUT Roleplaying games are basically about a story and you taking on the part of a character in that story. MMORPG's are just multiplayer shared world games where you level up in a common space. In a single player game if you hit a rough spot you are on your own unless you can get hired NPC's to come with you. In an MMORPG you have the ability to ask others to help you. These games more or less were extensions of the pen and paper games of old like Dungeons and Dragons. DnD could be a little stressfull at times but it was mainly a fun game to get players together and chill out and have fun. We used to all sit around and pass a bong around while gaming and munching on chinese food. Hardly stressful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    you do literaly the same outside the raid...
    and yes, people do care, YOU might not, but people care
    I agree with him the people who DO care too much about that sort of thing have misplaced priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Ummm...

What?

I'll say it again.

What?

Gaming isn't relaxing? What kind of nonsense is that? Of course gaming is relaxing. If it weren't meant to be relaxing, it wouldn't be called gaming. It would be called work.

You seriously trying to tell me golf isn't relaxing? Golf? The game where you hit a ball far away and then walk over to it for three or four hours? Darts isn't relaxing? The game where you throw sharp objects at the wall on purpose?

Sometimes I wonder if the people around some of you shake their heads ever time you speak. Because they can't believe what's coming out.
    Yeah I pretty much felt the same way you do. I can't believe some of this nonsense. If my son ever said some crazy stuff like that me and him would have a nice little chat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    If it was relaxing, we woulnd't have all the casauls complaining.

Relaxation occurs after you finish up the activities and not during the playtime.

Equally, coming home from the golf course is relaxation - not when you walk around and being mad about how bad you are.

Playing games to relax is a paradox - it only replaces other IRL stress factors as a distraction.
    Bro your really something you know that. If your doing ANY activity besides work and are getting stressed out or feeling bad about how well your doing then you are doing something wrong or your just learning whatever activity and going through learning phase frustrations which is super temporary. Even golf or anything even when done badly unless you are betting on yourself, is a fun distraction from life. Otherwise everything would be work. All work and no play... Ever heard of that one?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaRandomReindeer View Post
    the main reason that happened was because there were no meaningful activities outside of raiding.
    I've come to accept that WoW is going to be in "raid or die" mode until the cows come home. And probably Ion is also OK with that, he evidently wants to make a game for ~20% of the current playerbase, while the rest of the suckers subsidise the elite by buying boxes and paying one or two months before their progression comes to a sudden halt.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    The problem in Legion wasn't the raids, it was the AP grind and Titanforging and Legendary slot machine that made it so painful. You couldn't really raid log and I couldn't keep up with the extra-raid requirements consistently. There are times of the year where I can't play more than 6 hours a week and that pretty much precludes anything but raid-logging during that time.

So I quit, because I couldn't commit and therefore couldn't hang with my guild.

I agree, they need to make the game for the most amount of people. I won't bitch and moan if they move away from the current design, which I think is the best balance they've had in years, I'll just quit again and be sad I can't play a game I would otherwise enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. I completely understand that point of view. Hopefully they continue to try and hone the balance, rather than picking one audience or the other.
    Perhaps its the people and expectations of the players you are playing with and not the game itself. I make it a point to reroll every single patch after a lenghty break ( either AoTC or KSH gained then unsub ). I even cleared Heroic this season with perhaps the idea that maybe the raiding populace will have become more relaxed in their expectations due to a dwindling talent pool to select from and guess what i found? More elistism and more expectations without any merit, i do not aim to be the best but encouraging that mentality is drives the average away, so in my eyes the raiding populace can continue to be the snake that ate itself.

Also i have done this every single expansion the catch up time that a bunch of raid only people complain about or cry about is around 25 hours or so at the start of the patch since the catch up systems punished early pushers more so then late arrivals. If you do not give people a reason to log in everyday then they wont log in everyday the day mythic plus came to give end game rewards should have FORCED guilds to change that mindset but apparently it has not.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    Perhaps its the people and expectations of the players you are playing with and not the game itself. I make it a point to reroll every single patch after a lenghty break ( either AoTC or KSH gained then unsub ). I even cleared Heroic this season with perhaps the idea that maybe the raiding populace will have become more relaxed in their expectations due to a dwindling talent pool to select from and guess what i found? More elistism and more expectations without any merit, i do not aim to be the best but encouraging that mentality is drives the average away, so in my eyes the raiding populace can continue to be the snake that ate itself.

Also i have done this every single expansion the catch up time that a bunch of raid only people complain about or cry about is around 25 hours or so at the start of the patch since the catch up systems punished early pushers more so then late arrivals. If you do not give people a reason to log in everyday then they wont log in everyday the day mythic plus came to give end game rewards should have FORCED guilds to change that mindset but apparently it has not.
    I tried probably 6 guilds over the three expansions where there was constantly some sort of pressure to do non-raiding activities. I've finally found one that is very relaxed about it. M+ is not a requirement at all, though there are a lot of people who do it. We have players who are 100% geared out of our raids and crafted items, and that's OK with our group. If it wasn't, I'd've either quit again or continued searching for the exact type of guild I want.

But the design of the previous 3 expansions, particularly with regard to AP/AP/Anima, not to mention titanforging and corruption procs during Legion/BFA, were designed to keep players playing infinitely. Now you have the option to finish your raid week and CHOOSE to M+ or not. Maybe the community changed, maybe I found a better community, maybe the design influenced the community, but that's been my experience.

Edit:

I'll also admit that I have been looking for a unicorn type of guild for all this time. I wanted a guild that raided 1 day per week but was able to, without too much trouble, get AOTC every tier. I needed to be able to, when RL demands required it, to dial back my play time to JUST that 1 night/week of raiding, which meant any expectations outside of that 1 night/week became problematic for me. A lot of 1 day/week guilds just aren't serious enough/skilled enough raiders to accomplish what I want OR they only require 1 night of raid, but you have to still find time to do other stuff, like AP grinds or M+.
    Last edited by Thirtyrock; 2023-03-03 at 09:26 PM.

I tried probably 6 guilds over the three expansions where there was constantly some sort of pressure to do non-raiding activities. I've finally found one that is very relaxed about it. M+ is not a requirement at all, though there are a lot of people who do it. We have players who are 100% geared out of our raids and crafted items, and that's OK with our group. If it wasn't, I'd've either quit again or continued searching for the exact type of guild I want.

But the design of the previous 3 expansions, particularly with regard to AP/AP/Anima, not to mention titanforging and corruption procs during Legion/BFA, were designed to keep players playing infinitely. Now you have the option to finish your raid week and CHOOSE to M+ or not. Maybe the community changed, maybe I found a better community, maybe the design influenced the community, but that's been my experience.
    I think the community was always pushing to think they could on some level be Method or Limit and emulate what they do which is honestly stupid. I think the game should always have some sort of way to increase power bit by bit whenever you log in but i will also only pug and play with 2 real life friends without any sort of long term commitment ( i refuse to do much else then tank and heal and will generally pick whatever will be the meta for that season with some exceptions ).

I was not in a single guild for all of BFA and SL which was generally fine and now with cross faction play there is little reason to be tied down to one anyway since there is very little to gain from doing so but i also treated guilds like work mates. The idea of titanforging should have been looked at a bonus not missing out on a BiS item. I need a hook to keep me playing which this time lasted until mid January which is a decent enough feat which i think the next patch will be finished far faster since no wait at the start and the Keystone system likely opening day 1. I want more Diablo 2/3 seasons less MMO from classic to WoTLK style of game.

I don't see how we DON'T have this already, though. Hunting achievements and Reps give you all sorts of non-player-power perks, like mounts and transmog.
    I can definitely see some room for additional content, though:

I would love to see dragonriding become evergreen, somehow, with additional bonuses along the way.
    I'd also like to see guild perks be revisited.
    Finally, I'd like to see some content like the Mage Tower and Torghast become evergreen, with periodic updates to the rewards and tuning so they stay challenging and rewarding.

Other than those items, what else could they add that isn't already available?
    I really enjoyed Dragonriding as well, I can't imagine they scrap it after how well it was received. Plus they could easily add additions to it from the old world and other expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    It's very easy for me to say "No, you.", and I will. I've been raiding since I was 13 years old in 2004. For ME, PERSONALLY, Raiding in WoW is the best online activity a game can offer. I've been through the RTS WC3 ladder, I've been through DOTA, I've been through Counterstrike, I've been through League of Legends. Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING, beats Raiding in WoW as an online activity. FOR ME.

That being said, throughout all my time playing WoW, I've always been raiding. Whether it was 5 days a week in original vanilla and original TBC to 2x 3h raids nowadays (a far cry from "hardcore raiding" that you claim I am doing), I have always been part of a community that wants to raid at a decent level and clear content while it is current. That has not changed since 2004. FOR ME, players such as yourself, who play solo, are playing this game very, very wrong. I just told you - the age-range of my guild is 18 to 56. As raid leader, I know a bunch of stuff about all my raiders. Their age, profession, years of experience in WoW. It feels good logging into the game, saying "Hi guild" in Gchat, and the first comment you see is your raid leader asking you "Yo dude, how was your exam today? Did it go well?". Cause you signed Absent for the last raid on discord cause you had an exam to study for.

What YOU don't get, and others like you, is that WoW was NEVER, EVER, EVER a solo game. You want solo RPG games? Single Player console or PC RPGs? I've got a massive list my dude. And I mean MASSIVE. From the days of Breath of Fire on the Game Boy Advance, from Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1 in 1997, to God of War: Ragnarok and Hogwarts Legacy. But WoW is different. It literally is "the friends we made along the way". It's all about a building/being part of a community of like-minded people with common goals in mind. Always has been, always will be. You think I remember gear? epics? legendaries? trinkets? Fuck no. I remember situations like our maintank RESISTING HIS HEALING POTION (screenshot provided) during Archimonde progression in original TBC. I remember situations where the paladin healing officer accidently BoP'ed me during Yogg-Saron 0 lights in the darkness during WOTLK. The day Ashes of A'lar dropped and our Rogue officer burnt 500+ DKP on it. When I asked for Wings from our priest during Heroic Elegon progression in MOP, so I can survive the 3,000,000 dmg breath, turn it into Attack Power using the Vengeance mechanic and out-DPSed the DPSers as a bear tank.

Lastly, if you honestly believe 6 hours per week is something that (and I quote) "Some people don't want to or can't afford to dedicate x amount of hours in their week to show up for raiding at a specific time", then honestly, an MMORPG, the literal GENRE OF WASTING TIME AND HAVING LONG GRINDS, is not for you. I'm terribly, terribly sorry.

If you are playing for the purples, the late boss kills (either after the expansion is over or after the current patch is over), then I'm sorry, WoW is not that game, and I can point you to a myriad of other games who do all that stuff better.
    You are telling me that ~80% of players are playing the game wrong and it's absolutely okay to remove content they enjoy doing just so we don't inconvenience the 2%?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    I hear you. I used to Raid a lot from MoP through legion, but then real life stopped that, and I have zero time nor the want to Raid anymore. it's stressful with people complaining they didn't get loot, or when we wiped they get pissed at each other. Plus it's a major time sink i don't care to do anymore. No thanks.

And with such a tiny % of the player base that actually Raid, but Blizzard spends a TON of money and development on Raids, they should switch gears and pull back on Raid development and create something totally different for the vast % of players who don't Raid.

For me if there was no Raids it wouldn't change the game one bit for me, I haven't jumped in a current Raid of an expansion for like 6+ years. So if they were removed and not part of WoW anymore, no big deal, not missing anything, only less than 25% of players actually run current raids.

Still my fav expansion would most likely be Legion, they need a true Legion 2.0
    And those tiny % are the players who matter the most, raiding was always core of wow why pull back on it's development ? and alot of people who don't raid will complain regardless if there was more content or no

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofbelbol View Post
    And those tiny % are the players who matter the most,
    Unless Blizzard gets much more $$$ from each of them, then obviously not.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    I mean, I'm having fun, my guild is having fun, my RL mates that I do dungeons with and raid with are having fun, goals are being met, progress is happening (raid-wise, not gear-wise, only gear upgrades I have left are 421's and 424's) and I also happen to be the damn Maintank and Raid-leader. Yes, leading a group of 20 men and women to a brand new Mythic boss kill after 30-40 wipes is fucking amazing. The age-range of my raid is 18 to 56. From that Belgian kid who's in his final year of highschool, ready to get into Uni, to the 56yr old retired military Tank engineer who's basicaly the guild grandpa. Like holy shit, the amount of laughter that happens in raids is out of this world, the banter is insanely good.

Who would've thought that creating a community where fun gameplay is at the forefront would be the wrong way to play a...MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE role-playing-game. Then again, I'm not the one complaining that I'm "Bored after 2 months of DF". We're both 10-year accounts and you've got more than 4 times more posts than me. I would suggest invest less time on the forums, more time on community-creation.

Again, armory link for the non-believers: https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com...erhood/dalinos

Good for you i guess? Have fun what ever way you want. No one says you are playing the game wrong. That is the thing you can't seem to comprehend. There is no wrong way to play the game. PvP all day or run mythics or raid log or rp as a sheep in Elwynn Forest or whatever. Do whatever bull shit makes you happy and have the courtesy to let other people do the same. Yeah and while 3700 odd posts over 10 years has been a huge time commitment i can still just about manage to get some time in game! Rofl.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Who the heck has 3 to 4 hours per Raid session to waste whacking away at meaningless video game monsters, to hopefully get a new virtual sword that's just a couple iLvl's higher than your current toy sword. No one cares.
    Is this not the entirely of computer games? Raiders or not? Dragonflight has a lot of other things to offer outside of raiding luckily.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Is this not the entirely of computer games? Raiders or not? Dragonflight has a lot of other things to offer outside of raiding luckily.
    Much less than in previous expansions. It is a very cheap experience. A result of budget cuts. Raiding remains premier and sacrosanct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Much less than in previous expansions. It is a very cheap experience. A result of budget cuts. Raiding remains premier and sacrosanct.
    Raiding remains one of the main reasons that world content was cut back on.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Unless Blizzard gets much more $$$ from each of them, then obviously not.
    They keep playing regardless, they buy tokens to fund their raiding/crafting
    the other high % will sub for 1-2 month then complain endless

Like what? Logging in to do world quests? Boy I sure look forward to Grand Hunts and the Tuskaar soup event - the epitome of game design right there.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    As someone who's done the raid on Mythic I can tell you that the raid sucks. Unoriginal and uninspired and needlessly frustrating are the terms I would use to describe Mythic raiding inthe last couple of years.

The last raid I actually really enjoyed was Blackrock Foundry. Anything since has been mediocre or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofbelbol View Post
    They keep playing regardless, they buy tokens to fund their raiding/crafting
    the other high % will sub for 1-2 month then complain endless
    The point is that unless that loyal minority is much more lucrative, it pays more to focus on the putatively less loyal majority.

Also, realize that fucking with a large number of players until they quit in disgust doesn't mean they were disloyal, it means they were fucked with. It's easy to be loyal when the devs are catering to you.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2023-03-04 at 03:24 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Like what exactly? Yes M+ is cool, but that gets repetitive quickly. Other than that, there's jack beef to do. Run WQs forever, ugh. The "events" are lame and offer nothing.

Man I miss Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mortalblow View Post
    Every system which gives power is a borrowed power system. Gear power which matters now will not matter in a few patches or a new expac. While its cosmetic component still matters
    gear isn't borrowed power, u don't get a new ability from gear that u lose by next patch
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Like what? Logging in to do world quests? Boy I sure look forward to Grand Hunts and the Tuskaar soup event - the epitome of game design right there.
    I quite enjoy the current iterations of world quests. I like the grand hunts and soup event. I like the elemental invasions. I'm primarily a raider, but I quite enjoy the non-raid content.