Poll: As you’ve gotten older are you more liberal or conservative?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    @Orange Joehas gone through my vetting process. He should be respected and empowered to enforce the correct definition of liberal.
    Did the vetting process take more than the 16 weeks some places in the US require to make you a cop?

Wait...there's a vetting process?
    Well, shit. No one told me about it...do I have to turn in my card?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Did the vetting process take more than the 16 weeks some places in the US require to make you a cop?
    There's a secret anti-boot camp.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Me saying I’m liberal based on the definition makes me liberal period.

If I say I’m supporting Trump and MAGA I get to decide that. Me not you or anyone else confused on word’s definition or how things work.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not when you live in a democracy with neighbors and other people you have to consider what they want over just yourself.

Whether you agree with it or not COPS should be respected based on the process and vetting that makes them COPS whether you personally agree or not.

If the e community through laws and representation disagrees they can change it.

If an individual disagrees they need to use their power through that process to change it.

It really comes down to this in the grand scheme of things. The choices are.

1. Everyone gets what they want.

2. Nobody gets what they want.

3. Or I only care I get what I want.

There are consequences for all of it.
    What vetting do Police get in the US?
    When they get fired for breaking laws they get rehired somewhere else.

Is taht "Vetting" to you?
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    What vetting do Police get in the US?
    When they get fired for breaking laws they get rehired somewhere else.

Is taht "Vetting" to you?
    That can be a problem in certain areas. Speaking for where I live. The community is more involved. Police officers typically have to have at least a few years of college and clean record.

Most I know have an armed forces or military background.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    That can be a problem in certain areas. Speaking for where I live. The community is more involved. Police officers typically have to have at least a few years of college and clean record.

Most I know have an armed forces or military background.
    In the US, half a year is a lot of training to become a Police officer.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    In the US, half a year is a lot of training to become a Police officer.
    Depends where you mean. State, City, County, or Parish.

Education is important but psychological and temperament evaluation.

Hell some military experience is required. So it depends where.

My city and county the police are awesome.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is a difference between expecting civilized grown adults to learn about and respect the law.
    When "the law" is increasingly oppressive and authoritarian, "learning and respecting" it just means you're at best complacent at worst tacitly in approval of what's happening.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends where you mean. State, City, County, or Parish.

Education is important but psychological and temperament evaluation.

Hell some military experience is required. So it depends where.

My city and county the police are awesome.
    source or bullshit.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

No, but I believe in the average person being able to walk down the street or live in their home with the security that they aren't going to be targeted by criminals. I believe when people commit violent and criminal acts, we don't start with what could WE have done as a society for this individuals POOR decisions especially when they are an adult and there was no NEED for their crime.

For example someone who steals medicine, or food or water. Although illegal is completely different than someone stealing a Looting, stealing a TV or supporting a drug habit. Those are all personal choices.

As I said, I recognize racism and systematic discrimination of minorities, primarily black people. But the way to deal with that is through legal means

Cops are NOT always right, but they are vetted and go through a process and the majority are no worse or better than the average citizen, however they are charged with being authorities of emergency situations, they need to be empowered and respected period. Because in our democracy they represent our society as a whole laws and rules.

People who believe the rules of law don't apply to them they can make up whatever definitions and rules they like, based on the whims of their feelings, and who they like and don't like, regardless to who, I don't support.

Cops aren't really highly vetted, the judicial system is broken and punishes the poor and minorities. There's also the fact that the police are practically immune from consequences and use the same tactics as the catholic church with pedos. Unless there is outrage like with George Floyd the police and the union will sweep it under a rug. Many people do not remember this but the police report before the videos came out was that he resisted arrest and was a criminal. There was no punishment for the people that wrote that report. When the system is broken with no accountability you expect people to use it to fight it? that makes zero sense. I can't say most cops are good because the police and its union have done everything in their power to make the data and statistics on that as obscure as possible. If they had nothing to hide they would make that information public instead it is embellished and voluntarily reported making it worthless.

We don't know how rotten the police is and we have no reason to blindly believe that most of them are "good".
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2023-03-04 at 04:29 AM.

He thinks they are highly vetted because he wasn’t good enough to become a real cop and that has to be the reason why.

It’s simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread has gone so far off the rails that Norfolk Southern is sending out its people....
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This thread has gone so far off the rails that Norfolk Southern is sending out its people....
    Has it? Thread title is if you are liberal or conservative, we are debating if someone is liberal or not.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Has it? Thread title is if you are liberal or conservative, we are debating if someone is liberal or not.
    I figured we had already gotten to that several pages ago, and you all did a fine job of proving Mallcop is an Authoritarian not a Liberal. This has turned into the "I can't breathe" police thread where all of the stuff noted has already been discussed at great length there.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

1+ Year Old Account
    Neither.

I hate liberals and conservatives. Both are blind to reality and function by wishful ideals rather than adhering to the actual state of things.
    Last edited by lllll; 2023-03-04 at 04:59 PM.

The faux enlightened centrist everyone.

/rolls eyes

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The faux enlightened centrist everyone.

/rolls eyes
    Liberals: "Let's deregulate the housing market, make the landlords able to set rent as they want to (make it more expensive for people to rent)!"

Conservatives: "Agreed, let's make a deal! Do away with rent control!"

--

Conservatives: "LGBT people suck! "

Liberals: "No but you should be free to associate with or conduct business as you want to!"

--

Conservatives: "Companies can't function properly due to employment laws, they're too restrictive!"

Liberals: "Agreed, get rid of unions and deregulate employment laws! Make it easier to fire people!"

--

Conservatives: "People need to be paid an entry wage when they're just starting out, they shouldn't be paid the same as people that have worked for years (even though they're doing the same job)!"

Liberals: "Agreed, get rid of unions (because they're doing collective bargaining and will call for strikes if we don't agree to paying higher wages than we'd like to)!"

--

Conservatives: "Minorities suck!"

Liberals: "No but you should be allowed to associate with or conduct business as you want to!"

--

Conservatives: "Healthcare costs too much, we need to cut costs!"

Liberals: "Privatize healthcare, everyone should be allowed to choose (the better) care provider (if you have the money)!"

--

Conservatives and liberals are like a couple cohabitating or a married couple. If you deal with one, it's almost impossible to not have to deal with the other.

My personal favourite though:

Liberals: "We will not be in a government with a party with a fascist history!"

Conservatives: "Ok, fine, we'll just make deals with them to stay in power!"

Liberals: "We're okay with that as long as they're not IN the government."

Everyone else: "The fuck?"
    Last edited by lllll; 2023-03-05 at 06:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lllll View Post
    Liberals: "Let's deregulate the housing market, make the landlords able to set rent as they want to (make it more expensive for people to rent)!"

Conservatives: "Agreed, let's make a deal! Do away with rent control!"

--

Conservatives: "LGBT people suck! "

Liberals: "No but you should be free to associate with or conduct business as you want to!"

--

Conservatives: "Companies can't function properly due to employment laws, they're too restrictive!"

Liberals: "Agreed, get rid of unions and deregulate employment laws! Make it easier to fire people!"

--

Conservatives: "People need to be paid an entry wage when they're just starting out, they shouldn't be paid the same as people that have worked for years (even though they're doing the same job)!"

Liberals: "Agreed, get rid of unions (because they're doing collective bargaining and will call for strikes if we don't agree to paying higher wages than we'd like to)!"

--

Conservatives: "Minorities suck!"

Liberals: "No but you should be allowed to associate with or conduct business as you want to!"

--

Conservatives: "Healthcare costs too much, we need to cut costs!"

Liberals: "Privatize healthcare, everyone should be allowed to choose (the better) care provider (if you have the money)!"

--

Conservatives and liberals are like a couple cohabitating or a married couple. If you deal with one, it's almost impossible to not have to deal with the other.
    You're speaking of "classical liberalism", which is modern libertarianism, rather than modern social liberalism.

Which are pretty wildly divergent views, and this is a largely US-based forum, so your use of "liberalism" without a qualifier is gonna be confusing. Hence the pushback. Classical liberalism isn't a left-wing ideology, in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're speaking of "classical liberalism", which is modern libertarianism, rather than modern social liberalism.

Which are pretty wildly divergent views, and this is a largely US-based forum, so your use of "liberalism" without a qualifier is gonna be confusing. Hence the pushback. Classical liberalism isn't a left-wing ideology, in the first place.
    Yeah, I was going to say, nothing they said is currently any liberal platform that I know.

More conservative, probably.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.