Thread: Last of Us [TV]

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Good episode, but another one where a key moment was done better in the game, specifically Joel and Ellie's reunion. In the game, Ellie's line "He tried to... Joel..." and the way it was delivered so well by Ashely Johnson made it feel much more emotional to me. Show David was much better though, that actor was very good. Also Ramsey's acting as she went to town on David's face with the cleaver felt very raw and real. The episode felt a bit rushed, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm just remembering how long and intense that entire part of the game was, compared to the show having to remove a lot of unnecessary combat.
    That part of the game and the next and final part are short as hell when you remove the unnecessary one man/girl army parts that you no longer need without gameplay. Which is why I was confused with people complaining about only having 2 episodes to fill it, which is more than enough.

Really strong episode, eight or nine.

I might have preferred it if it was all Ellie, does penicillin work that fast? From deaths door to killer?

Very very minor quibble though. Really good series

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Except it wasn't a cartoon and its not the 90's anymore? Speaking of cartoons, bert and ernie made into a gay couple, forcing an agenda and propaganda to children is almost in the same ballpark but not quite.

If you check my posts in this thread. I had zero issue with with the Ben and Frank episode, even praised it for how natural and non forced it felt. Was loving and hearthwarming great episode.
    This episode was just an odd side story, taking up time and screen for no reason, only to push that one scene, that felt very forced and awkward, them being barley teenagers just made it feel worse and a sense of exploitation and propaganda.
    Literally part of the canonical story of the game, so stuff the “pRoPaGaNdA” nonsense Tipper Gore…

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Great episode. Still can't shake that feeling of the story being rushed but they did a better job setting up the villain this time. Penicillin being a magic cure was...eh...but it is still television at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Really strong episode, eight or nine.

I might have preferred it if it was all Ellie, does penicillin work that fast? From deaths door to killer?

Very very minor quibble though. Really good series
    Joel's recovery in the game was just as miraculous though I think the fact that there were gameplay segments in the middle made it feel like it was a bit more drawn out. I'm willing to give them creative liberty on that front... hardly a quibble when the rest of the show was done so well.

It would've been nice for them to show some infected but I think I'm beginning to see why the showrunner was so insistent on the cast not using the word "zombie" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Joel's recovery in the game was just as miraculous though I think the fact that there were gameplay segments in the middle made it feel like it was a bit more drawn out. I'm willing to give them creative liberty on that front... hardly a quibble when the rest of the show was done so well.

It would've been nice for them to show some infected but I think I'm beginning to see why the showrunner was so insistent on the cast not using the word "zombie" lol
    I haven't played the game, like we both said the penicillin thing was a minor issue, same as I thought they should have done last week's episode in the present, Joel snaps, Elle runs away and she finds Elle, they might not have known each other. At least then there is tension. Another small issue.

I think my tendancy to nit pick makes me sound like I think the series is worse than I do.

Its a solid 8.

I've a vague idea if the game story and I wouldn't mind them ending the series entirely differently than the game, blow the minds of a few people in the know.

I haven't played the game, like we both said the penicillin thing was a minor issue, same as I thought they should have done last week's episode in the present, Joel snaps, Elle runs away and she finds Elle, they might not have known each other. At least then there is tension. Another small issue.

I think my tendancy to nit pick makes me sound like I think the series is worse than I do.

Its a solid 8.

I've a vague idea if the game story and I wouldn't mind them ending the series entirely differently than the game, blow the minds of a few people in the know.
    They've been fairly adherent to the overarching plot points of the game thus far so it'd certainly be controversial if they went a different route.

Terrific. Big engagement numbers for this episode.

I was wondering about that myself. Some of the changes they've made have given Ellie more agency or reduced Joel's involvement, even if in a small way. I can't see them pulling a huge twist that would blow game enjoyers' minds, mostly because it would be unnecessary; the game ending is already good enough to leave TV audiences satisfied, and changing it would fundamentally alter the story. Perhaps there's a way for Ellie to have more agency at the end whilst keeping the outcome the same, but I can't think of a good one.

I was wondering about that myself. Some of the changes they've made have given Ellie more agency or reduced Joel's involvement, even if in a small way. I can't see them pulling a huge twist that would blow game enjoyers' minds, mostly because it would be unnecessary; the game ending is already good enough to leave TV audiences satisfied, and changing it would fundamentally alter the story. Perhaps there's a way for Ellie to have more agency at the end whilst keeping the outcome the same, but I can't think of a good one.
    The only thing I can think of to involve Ellie more would be for her to know the choice Joel must make before he actually makes it. That way it's not only a moral dilemma for Joel but one for Ellie also.

But I would rather the original ending stay as is.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    The only thing I can think of to involve Ellie more would be for her to know the choice Joel must make before he actually makes it. That way it's not only a moral dilemma for Joel but one for Ellie also.

But I would rather the original ending stay as is.
    What if Ellie secretly hears the Fireflies talk about her possible death but agrees to go ahead with it anyway? Or maybe Marlene is straight with her and tells her there's a strong chance the procedure will kill her, but she's traumatized after killing David and thinks the world is too fucked up to exist in anymore, and chooses to go ahead with it to give Joel a chance to live a normal life again. Then she wakes up in Joel's car and realises what happened. Fuuccckk... that would be tough to watch.

Ellie does not have more agency nor does Joel have reduced involvement from a canon to canon perspective. This is some gamer ass take from one man army gameplay segments being taken out which have no place in a live action drama but are necessary for a game to be a game.

They aren't going to change any major plot points. Then you write yourself into a hole when the game script for TLOU3 is not even written yet, like sure if Druckman wasn't involved and Sony just licensed the IP to HBO HBO could do some hogwash if they wanted but Druckman actually has to keep it cohesive to his overall story since the games are the source material and his baby.

People watch too much marvel bullshit if they think they're gonna get some alternate universe shit here. Druckman and Sony's goal is to make their IP more popular to non gamers and attract them to gaming, it's not to tell some alternate story.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-03-06 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Ellie does not have more agency nor does Joel have reduced involvement from a canon to canon perspective. This is some gamer ass take from one man army gameplay segments being taken out which have no place in a live action drama but are necessary for a game to be a game.
    I'm not sure what a 'gamer ass take' is or what relevance sections of the game being removed have to do with anything? You seem salty for no apparent reason.

What if Ellie secretly hears the Fireflies talk about her possible death but agrees to go ahead with it anyway? Or maybe Marlene is straight with her and tells her there's a strong chance the procedure will kill her, but she's traumatized after killing David and thinks the world is too fucked up to exist in anymore, and chooses to go ahead with it to give Joel a chance to live a normal life again. Then she wakes up in Joel's car and realises what happened. Fuuccckk... that would be tough to watch.
    The ambiguity of the ending only works if Ellie doesn't know Joel is lying to her. It'd make what happens in Season 2 easier to swallow, but I also think it would be a genuine downgrade from the game's ending. Considering the ending of TLoU is half the reason the game is so revered, I can't see them fucking with this.

like the serie.

Like the casting. man pedro and bella ramsey knocking it out the park.
    Also like that they are not bowing down to the anti woke mob. Who cries about everything they percieve is woke ( but might not even be).
    And writing a good series. Also looks great.

I'm not sure what a 'gamer ass take' is or what relevance sections of the game being removed have to do with anything? You seem salty for no apparent reason.
    No important canon sections of the game where removed or changed in the series. The only thing removed is the ass blasting gamer character mechanics and some slight changes to minor details of the story. This is why it's a gamer ass take to claim Joel has less agency because there is no gameplay where he kills 30 people or infected every episode. You don't need that shit in a show and it would only take away from the story in a show format.

Regarding TLOU2 and how it'll be translated:

The plot of TLOU2 isn't even really the problem, but the order of events. If they do some kind of interspliced storyline across the season of both Ellie & Abby, culminating with the big death and then the ramifications of it afterward, I think that'd be fine. Rather than shoving it toward the beginning of the story like the game does.

That said, for as amazing as season 1 is, I can easily see Druckmann and crew circling the wagons and just bruteforcing ahead the story with how the game did it, even with how controversial it was. Which would be a major shame because I would hope somebody at HBO realizes it could be structured better.

And no, I'm not talking about the mouthbreathers upset about Abby being buff or whatever, that's fine. Abby as a character is fine and I even like her. It's about the sequence of events as presented to the audience.
    Last edited by Arlette; 2023-03-07 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    Regarding TLOU2 and how it'll be translated:

The plot of TLOU2 isn't even really the problem, but the order of events. If they do some kind of interspliced storyline across the season of both Ellie & Abby, culminating with the big death and then the ramifications of it afterward, I think that'd be fine. Rather than shoving it toward the beginning of the story like the game does.

That said, for as amazing as season 1 is, I can easily see Druckmann and crew circling the wagons and just bruteforcing ahead the story with how the game did it, even with how controversial it was. Which would be a major shame because I would hope somebody at HBO realizes it could be structured better.

And no, I'm not talking about the mouthbreathers upset about Abby being buff or whatever, that's fine. Abby as a character is fine and I even like her. It's about the sequence of events as presented to the audience.
    I understand what you are suggesting but the death is what kicks off the entire story, what exactly do you expect them to do before it happens?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I understand what you are suggesting but the death is what kicks off the entire story, what exactly do you expect them to do before it happens?
    I’d personally want them to use the time for build up to show both Ellie/Joel and Abby/father being together to parallel them more early on as both have parts earlier in there timeline.

Going though 90% if Ellie story then swapping to Abby also seemed like a crap way to frame it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Abby's entire build up to the death is what should happen before we actually see it occur, for example.