The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    First Class was a decent movie. Days of Future Past was very good.

Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix were hardly unbearable. They’re perfectly suitable for putting on in the background while you doing something more exciting. Taxes for example. They’re certainly better than Ghost Rider.
    I totally agree.

Especially on the last two movies i found McAvoy and Lawrence just being there, totally bored. Fassbender was ok, Isaac's role was written badly, imho, without nuance and of course...

The choice of casting Sophie Turner, riding on her GoT "success", was detrimental. Girl can't act.
    /spit@Blizzard

First Class was good. But because it was good they took the decade hop trope to the extreme where they speed through the decades without actually building up a "team" dynamic to make the sequels actually work or actually having a reason to base the film in the 80s or 90s and they just banked on Jennifer lawrence because of hunger games success. So sexy popular teens plus superheros = auto win we dont need to worry about story building.

I thought the last park of Dark Phoenix was great just because they actually did some amazing action scenes and not the usual limp dick "we don't kill" they were doing.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

how many actors have played stryker in the xmen conematic saga? That is always something that makes me laugh. This is the real multiverse character that we should worry about

dark phoenix would only work as a multiphase thanos level arc and even that is questionable
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    dark phoenix would only work as a multiphase thanos level arc and even that is questionable
    There's some stuff from the comics that cinema should probably stay away from. Phoenix may be one of them. Or imagine them trying to do something like House of M - that's just way too much imo. It wouldn't make for good cinema.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we'll see all of it on screen some day. They are doing Secret Wars after all, however THAT is supposed to work.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    There's some stuff from the comics that cinema should probably stay away from. Phoenix may be one of them. Or imagine them trying to do something like House of M - that's just way too much imo. It wouldn't make for good cinema.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we'll see all of it on screen some day. They are doing Secret Wars after all, however THAT is supposed to work.
    I could see house of M working if they really went all out and gave us abunch of movies set in it pretty much giving us a fresh start to an alternate MCU before having a avengers esc cross over where they restore the proper MCU.

Obviously would be a huge gamble to try something like that though and would cost a ton if they went all out mutants every where for multiple movies.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I could see house of M working if they really went all out and gave us abunch of movies set in it pretty much giving us a fresh start to an alternate MCU before having a avengers esc cross over where they restore the proper MCU.

Obviously would be a huge gamble to try something like that though and would cost a ton if they went all out mutants every where for multiple movies.
    When it comes to storytelling, I'm always one who prefers the occasional failed gamble over always choosing the boring safe medium.

But I guess I'm also not the one footing a several-hundred-million $ bill if it goes wrong

I'd love for them to take some BOLD direction with stuff. But it's unlikely to happen.

Civil War was reduced to one playground fight (which stopped as soon as someone actually got hurt) in what was essentially the Winter Soldier 1.5 movie, featuring Zemo's convoluted plan, which rivals that of Luthor in BvS.

So I don't doubt they can adapt any huge story arc by removing pretty much everything but the name.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    how many actors have played stryker in the xmen conematic saga? That is always something that makes me laugh. This is the real multiverse character that we should worry about
    3, which makes sense given that the films timeline went from the early 70's to the 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    3, which makes sense given that the films timeline went from the early 70's to the 2000's
    nope they just wanted to make something more out of the character without making any sense of it. Basically they just didn't give two fks.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to storytelling, I'm always one who prefers the occasional failed gamble over always choosing the boring safe medium.

But I guess I'm also not the one footing a several-hundred-million $ bill if it goes wrong

I'd love for them to take some BOLD direction with stuff. But it's unlikely to happen.
    Honestly, a big part of me wonders if they DON"T do some BOLD direction with the Superhero genre of movies, whether they can *ever* get the 'early numbers' back again.

Every year of more superhero content - be it more shows or more movies, is going to continue to feed the burnout that has already started. The burnout that is already effecting the 'bottom line' of the MCU and Disney+. If they stick to the same 'schtick' (as it were -ha), regardless of whether its Superman 24 or the 12th "NEW SUPERHERO (you never heard of) STORY!", then its going to make no difference to the burnout causing viewers to limit which ones they bother to watch.

Because as one "burned out normie" here (even if only BARELY a 'normie' ha), I gotta say, at this point I'm only about 10% more 'interested' in the show/movie when you tell me its a new superhero vs. Superman 14 or Thor 8. Fantastic Four - couldn't care less. I grew up being a huge X-men fan, but even the idea of more of those movies isn't exciting me anymore. (Which bums me all on its own!) The continued production of movies that amount to 3 EFFIN HOURS of generic-plot-mediocrity with CGI, and mediocre shows I feel 'forced' to watch about characters I already barely care about (looking at you Falcon and the Winter Solider), is what will continue to drive viewers away from wanting to pay out, again and again, for the same thing.

As much as they may want a continual, year long, feed of superhero content 'interconnecting' plots, between movies and shows, to drive $$ and subs - THAT is going to drive burnout even more. People don't want to feel 'forced' into watching content they may not care so much about because it might effect their enjoyment of the next movie. Or because of FOMO. That works temporarily to drive that interest, but over time, especially if the content isn't all that good, or they feel 'lied to' about how important that show is to the next movie's plot (cough Wandavision), its only going to drive more people away. To not even want to 'start' to be engaged with the content 'because I don't want to have to keep up.'

On paper it may seem an investor, or board member's dream, sure. But in actual audience loyalty and desire - people get tired of it. Its already happening. And releasing "new Superhero of Mediocrity movie" only 2 times a year rather than 4 times a year, isn't going to bring those numbers back. Flooding the content out of the gate (starting with Ironman) has already done the damage, its time to slow the flood and focus energy on OTHER IPs of content.

~
    What's interesting, to me, is that as much as I have to now limit my consumption of MCU and WB/DC content, so that when I do watch it, its actually because I /want to/ and am actually interested - its ONLY with the MCU/DC content. I have none of that burnout feeling for the genre when it comes to THE BOYS or INVINCIBLE, or any of the other 'supernatural ability powered human' shows and movies I /still/ enjoy. So its not even superheroes as a whole genre that I'm sick of - its, apparently, ONLY specifically, the Disney+ and WB "style" of doing superhero movies/tv shows.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Every year of more superhero content - be it more shows or more movies, is going to continue to feed the burnout that has already started. The burnout that is already effecting the 'bottom line' of the MCU and Disney+. If they stick to the same 'schtick' (as it were -ha), regardless of whether its Superman 24 or the 12th "NEW SUPERHERO (you never heard of) STORY!", then its going to make no difference to the burnout causing viewers to limit which ones they bother to watch.
    For myself, I've found that I have no interest in the super-cereal big-bad universe-shattering shows any longer. I want something fun in my superhero fare. That's why right now She-Hulk is really hitting the spot, it's just fun slice-of-life stories about what it's like for Jen when she gains superpowers. There's no huge stakes other than her own, personal life.

I've not watched any film since MoM, but the last two MCU shows I enjoyed before She-Hulk were Shang-Chi and Loki, which both had that "we're having fun!" feeling quite a lot. Everything else has been dour and draggy. I only watched the first episode of Ms. Marvel so I really can't say much about it, but it felt more sulky than fun to me.

Make superheroes fun, that's all I want. Maybe everyone else wants the high-stakes end-of-the-world CGI-infested stuff, but not me, not all the time, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Make superheroes fun, that's all I want. Maybe everyone else wants the high-stakes end-of-the-world CGI-infested stuff, but not me, not all the time, anyway.
    I'm reminded of this;

actors remain open to roles that insure them big pay checks, other breaking news: water, wet

7+ Year Old Account
    Make another Thor love and thunder with Scarlet witch, im sure people will love it /s

Victoria Alonso fired? from Disney
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...235356853/amp/

Hopefully this is the start of good changes. I had said heads wete going to start rolling after the Flop that was Quantumania.
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2023-03-20 at 07:38 PM.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post

Hopefully this is the start of good changes. I had said heads wete going to start rolling after the Flop that was Quantumania.
    From what I can see on imdb she's been producing almost every, if not every, marvel cinematic content since iron man. So I'm not sure any issue lies with her particularly, maybe they needed a scape goat maybe some other thing but this doesn't say anything in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post

Seem a bit odd to me. Getting rid of the person running the cgi when that was the least of the problems imho. Did they already get rid of the director and writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    From what I can see on imdb she's been producing almost every, if not every, marvel cinematic content since iron man. So I'm not sure any issue lies with her particularly, maybe they needed a scape goat maybe some other thing but this doesn't say anything in particular
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Seem a bit odd to me. Getting rid of the person running the cgi when that was the least of the problems imho. Did they already get rid of the director and writers?
    See this is what happens when Forum Randos start misrepresenting.

WE HAVE NO IDEA WHY SHE LEFT.

People are quick to portray this as "she got fired", BUT WE DON'T KNOW. The article linked says explicitly that the reasons for her exit are unclear.

Did she get a job somewhere else? Does she just want to retire? Who the fuck knows. And sure, she COULD just have been fired, but WE DON'T KNOW and so people should stop pretending like they've uncovered some grand Disney scheme to purge themselves of the guilty when this could simply be some random executive taking a different direction in life out of their own volition.