Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Counter-Strike 2:

THE NEXT ERA OF
    COUNTER-STRIKE
    BEGINS THIS SUMMER
    Counter-Strike 2 is the largest technical leap forward in Counter-Strike’s history, ensuring new features and updates for years to come.

All of the game’s new features will be revealed when it officially launches this summer, but the road to Counter-Strike 2 begins today as a Limited Test for select CS:GO players. During this testing period, we’ll be evaluating a subset of features to shake out any issues before the worldwide release.

Counter-Strike 2 arrives this summer as a free upgrade to CS:GO. So build your loadout, hone your skills, and prepare yourself for what’s next!
    Official site: https://counter-strike.net/cs2
    FAQ: https://steamcommunity.com/faqs/stea...ED8E-81F4-0C18

---

Looks pretty fun.

The fact they are innovating the server tick system is huge. Could be a game changer not only for CS, but for any game really.

Valve rarely creates stuff anymore but whenever they do, it brings some innovation with it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

its just counter strike 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    The fact they are innovating the server tick system is huge. Could be a game changer not only for CS, but for any game really.

Valve rarely creates stuff anymore but whenever they do, it brings some innovation with it.
    What do you mean, what exactly are they doing persay(Not trolling, curiousity)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Shots don't always register even when you shoot someone in the face point blank. It's explained in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I just know what the video said, the first one "Moving beyond tick rate".

Up until now all online servers uses tick rates and mostly around 64, some do 128. It's like frame rate but for servers info.
    Games and servers only update during a new frame or server tick. As the video said, any time between those "ticks" doesn't exist.

Lets say a server updates every 1s. And every update is a tick. So it updates on tick 1. Then wait 1s, then it updates again on tick 2 and wait another second before tick 3.
    So if both of are shooting between tick 1 and tick 2, it will update on tick 2 as they happened at the same time. Even if I could have shot 0.1s after the first tick and you shot at 0.9s after the 1st tick.

This essentially means by removing tick rates servers will become much more accurate and responsive. And removing tick rate, which I believe has been how all online games have worked since the beginning of it is certainly innovative.

Hopefully this could answer it. Hard to do without visualization which the video has, though it went over it really quickly. The green bars you see in the video is essentially time required to pass before your action ACTUALLY happens. It doesn't happen when you click, it happens on the tick that's coming up after you made it.

I'm really curious on the technicalities and hows myself. I hope they do a deeper dive on exactly how it functions.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2023-03-22 at 06:40 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I think I get it. Thanks for the clarification guys.(Sincere)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Hope they don't forget about Team Fortress 2
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I remember playing this in 2003 with classmates. People still play it. Cool.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Saw some bits about this but haven't had a chance to look.

This looks pretty legit, and as a free upgrade to CS:GO? Visuals are a nice improvement.

Tic rate stuff is interesting. I imagine mostly possible given smaller match sizes and all but will be neat if that tech can scaled up and applied more broadly in other games. Solid for online competitive play.

Map updates look solid. The existing maps all still looked very much like they should, but between the new assets and improved lighting (and some screen space reflections and shit) they're looking darned pretty.

Smokes are...neat? It's been so long since I played remotely competitively (1.x days) that I've barely used them, but that's still huge. Major tech improvement that makes them far more interesting and dynamic.

And coming this summer? Damn man. Also nice that all the 1337 players get to carry over all their weapon skins and stuff. I haven't played CS in a long time, and really only played respawn servers where it's "who gets the headshot first" most of the time, but I might have to play some normal 5v5's again.

Their tick rate change might still work for bigger games in the future. The idea is that in between tick infos are being saved and sent at the tick rate. Right now 128 tick rate is pretty fast that a server gets updated 128 times per second. However as the video mention, sometime things will fall throught the crack because its in between say tick 56 and 57 and gets resolved at tick 57, because it happened at 56.038. It sounds like the game now has a way to save these info and resolve them at tick 57, which is fast enough to fool you, but a delayed version of what actually really happened. I dont see why it wouldnt scale up to bigger games, its still info the games would have, its just more accurately resolved.

Its interesting to see a company finally trying new things in the network server space for this. Most game now the only answer remained, well just add more tick rates. I played some old school games that are still somewhat active from 1997-2004 and even there our private competitive servers end up with that only solution, we take our old school games that used to be 20 tick rate and crack that shit up for 100-160. Feels good, but a new solution would be kinda cool. I hope they make the tick rate tech usable by modders too.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2023-03-23 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    its just counter strike 2
    its just the biggest Team FPS getting ported to Source 2 with Gameplay improvements.

Yeah its just cs2

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    I remember playing this in 2003 with classmates. People still play it. Cool.
    WDYM 'people still play it'?
    The popularity of the game still grows which is pretty mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    its just the biggest Team FPS getting ported to Source 2 with Gameplay improvements.

Yeah its just cs2
    the OP called it Counter Strike Online 2. Im saying its just Counter Strike 2

Slightly underwhelmed, not gonna lie. I expected a bigger graphical leap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks alright I guess, the smoke change/upgrade is pretty neat. Will have to check it out when it's here.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    the OP called it Counter Strike Online 2. Im saying its just Counter Strike 2
    That's great but no one cares that OP got the name slightly wrong.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is awesome. Especially the tic stuff. I do wonder how long till even MMOs become able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    WDYM 'people still play it'?
    The popularity of the game still grows which is pretty mindblowing.
    Lol what the shit is this. What do I mean 'people still play it'? That the popularity of the game still grows.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Looks alright I guess, the smoke change/upgrade is pretty neat. Will have to check it out when it's here.

you cared enough to respond

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post

The guy you're replying to did, and honestly, so do I. I actually came here thinking it was about a knock-off CS-skinned mobile MMO.