Poll: What is the greatest Wrestlemania match of all time?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Nice, I only did Mania. Best part was shitting on Cena in the Main Event. Chicago is a ruthless smark crowd. lol Only rivaled by NYC and Philly.
    Yeah man, the "Fuck you Cena" chants that they had to edit out rofl, and the look on his face at the end of the match holding up the title, on the verge of tears, we made him feel absolutely miserable. Foley going through the flaming table was pretty awesome too.

Undertaker vs Shawn michael was the best match i ever seen.. Im still bitter about undertaker's streak had come to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Yeah man, the "Fuck you Cena" chants that they had to edit out rofl, and the look on his face at the end of the match holding up the title, on the verge of tears, we made him feel absolutely miserable. Foley going through the flaming table was pretty awesome too.
    Foley vs. Edge definitely stole the show. The flaming table spot to this day, I'd say is one of the best spots in Wrestlemania history, and I'm glad I was there in person for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Dude Kayfabe has been dead since at least the 90's. Yeah. Everyone knows it's scripted. So is Game of Thrones. What's your point?
    Well you're treating it like it's real in these discussions. I wanted to make sure one or more of you hadn't lost your marbles.

Triple threat with Benoit/HHH/HBK is another one worth mentioning. If it had happened at a different time, that might be one of the best-worked matches of all time for WWE/F.

So good, the crowd gave them a standing ovation in the middle. And that finish is spectacular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Triple threat with Benoit/HHH/HBK is another one worth mentioning. If it had happened at a different time, that might be one of the best-worked matches of all time for WWE/F.

So good, the crowd gave them a standing ovation in the middle. And that finish is spectacular.
    The ending between Chris and Eddie was beautiful at the time, now it's just painful on so many levels.

As for the actual match, as much as I love it personally, I think the second one at Backlash was even better. The ending was genius.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The ending between Chris and Eddie was beautiful at the time, now it's just painful on so many levels.

As for the actual match, as much as I love it personally, I think the second one at Backlash was even better. The ending was genius.
    Oh yeah, awesome finish to that one too.

I think Roman and Cody are gonna have a good one this weekend too. Cody can elevate a match emotionally.

1+ Year Old Account
    I cannot specify the match itself, but the Wrestlemania where Steve Austin first time arrived in that huge dome on a quadricycle(quad bike) That was beyond awesome.
    Psychonaut
    Retail since 2007

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spey View Post
    I cannot specify the match itself, but the Wrestlemania where Steve Austin first time arrived in that huge dome on a quadricycle(quad bike) That was beyond awesome.
    That was Austin vs Owens last year, where we got an impromptu match, which was the first Austin had been in since his final match with the Rock nearly 20 years before.

The crowd popped like crazy for that, between that and the random McAfee vs McMahon the night after, we got spoiled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    By all means, I love those topics as well. I'll go first.
    That's one hell of a card. I'd only make a few changes, and I'd cheat by putting a second Championship match on there, but not have it the title match. Because everyone remembers the shooting star press that nearly went horrible, but the rest of Lesnar vs Angle is a straight up classic.

Would likely cut Dibiase vs Roberts or AJ/Jericho to fit it in.

Then, this is going to be a weird tangent match, but I'd cut out Hogan vs McMahon and put in probably the most entertaining and hilarious match in history. Kane vs Raven vs Big Show for the hardcore championship.

It is in no way a technical classic, but if you haven't watched it back recently, or never seen it, go back and watch. Apart from *that* moment that nearly ended the whole Wrestlemania event that year (and how early it was on the card, we would have missed out on so many classics) it's one of the greatest hardcore matches of all time.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The one where the "Is that X with a chair!?!?" meme originated from.
    Honestly it still baffles me how this is so popular in the US, it's like Turkish oil wrestling for angloids.
    (but it weirdly mixes in this element of theatre... it's like the English took turkish oil wrestling, made it more violent and decided to also involve their tendencies for treachery and theatre somehow)
    (no, don't ask about the treachery, anyone who knows his history knows what it's referring to)
    Last edited by loras; 2023-04-01 at 10:53 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Honestly it still baffles me how this is so popular in the US
    It's crazy popular in Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Japan too.

Pro wrestling is just a fun show. It's like a stunt show at Universal studios or Disney; which are also crazy popular.

Especially seeing wrestling live, which has a lot of audience participation. Ranging from hardcore (almost live horror show) matches to outright silly stuff like a wrestling match between to invisible men.

This was a blast for the audience. It's a fun time of drinking, cheering/boong and playing along with the silliness in most cases.

Also, fuck Invisible Stan. Unforgivable actions!

It's crazy popular in Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Japan too.

Pro wrestling is just a fun show. It's like a stunt show at Universal studios or Disney; which are also crazy popular.

Especially seeing wrestling live, which has a lot of audience participation. Ranging from hardcore (almost live horror show) matches to outright silly stuff like a wrestling match between to invisible men.

This was a blast for the audience. It's a fun time of drinking, cheering/boong and playing along with the silliness in most cases.

I knew about Mexico and could've guessed for Puerto Rico (isn't that a US-affiliated thingy though?) but Japan surprises me, then again they've taken many cues from the US.
    And i'm not ragging on it, it's just weird to me, like this quaint local thing that's weirdly popular in a certain area.
    I dunno what'd be comparable for you, i suppose fierljeppen could be a bit comparable, a local frision sport that just involves using a giant pole to jump across a river.

(yes, it also involves a lot of sillyness and drinking, no i don't do that myself)

10+ Year Old Account
    The one where the "Is that X with a chair!?!?" meme originated from.
    Honestly it still baffles me how this is so popular in the US, it's like Turkish oil wrestling for angloids.
    (but it weirdly mixes in this element of theatre... it's like the English took turkish oil wrestling, made it more violent and decided to also involve their tendencies for treachery and theatre somehow)
    (no, don't ask about the treachery, anyone who knows his history knows what it's referring to)
    If you wanna know the real history, in simplest terms it started as a side show at carnivals and the like as actual wrestling matches before some of the guys competing realized they didn't really have to fight since the audience just wanted a show so they started "working" matches. Eventually, they added in more personality to their characters and on-going stories to makes things interesting and keep people coming back. That evolved into the TV show it is today.

Bryce is forever a legend for that performance.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2023-04-01 at 11:29 PM.

If you wanna know the real history, in simplest terms it started as a side show at carnivals and the like as actual wrestling matches before some of the guys competing realized they didn't really have to fight since the audience just wanted a show so they started "working" matches. Eventually, they added in more personality to their characters and on-going stories to makes things interesting and keep people coming back. That evolved into the TV show it is today.
    Ah, fair enough, that does explain the nature of it.
    Thanks for the explanation!

Heh, with that perspective it seems like a more theatrical and organized version of what they do at carnaval around here: Get drunk and brawl.
    Honestly i like the US version better, less retarded and more funny.

Japan surprises me, then again they've taken many cues from the US.
    Big in Japan. There are as many well-known and legendary promotions and performers (the wrestlers are performers) from Japan as the US. If not more.

Most wrestling fans would absolutely know who Kawada, Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, Inoki, Aja Kong, Toyota, Okada, Tanahashi are as Japanese wrestlers. When these people show(ed) up in the US it's usually with a lot of reverence and respect for their performances.

The most well-known wrestling promotion, WWE, just inducted this weekend a Japanese wrestler who never wrestled once for their organization. Keiji Muto, "The Great Muta", because he is such a highly, highly regarded Japanese wrestler.

And i'm not ragging on it, it's just weird to me
    Cultural differences.

In the US, pro wrestling is cheap to produce television programming and live shows can be done almost anywhere cheaply. That led to it proliferating in the US, Mexico, etc.

And Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth. They have their own distinctive style and traditions. Just as Japan and Mexico. These style differences are well enjoyed too.

Wrestling fans generally like to see "Lucha" (Mexican tradition) performer mixed with a Japanese Strong Style performer, for example. The organizations often promote matches based on these differences; such as

Similarly, most US audiences would not find Sakte-TV the least bit appealing and would find it extremely strange.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-04-01 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    That was Austin vs Owens last year, where we got an impromptu match, which was the first Austin had been in since his final match with the Rock nearly 20 years before.

The crowd popped like crazy for that, between that and the random McAfee vs McMahon the night after, we got spoiled.

- - - Updated - - -

That's one hell of a card. I'd only make a few changes, and I'd cheat by putting a second Championship match on there, but not have it the title match. Because everyone remembers the shooting star press that nearly went horrible, but the rest of Lesnar vs Angle is a straight up classic.

Would likely cut Dibiase vs Roberts or AJ/Jericho to fit it in.

Then, this is going to be a weird tangent match, but I'd cut out Hogan vs McMahon and put in probably the most entertaining and hilarious match in history. Kane vs Raven vs Big Show for the hardcore championship.

It is in no way a technical classic, but if you haven't watched it back recently, or never seen it, go back and watch. Apart from *that* moment that nearly ended the whole Wrestlemania event that year (and how early it was on the card, we would have missed out on so many classics) it's one of the greatest hardcore matches of all time.
    Oh, I watched Raven vs. Kane vs. Big Show, and loved it. That was X-Seven! My favorite Wrestlemania. It's also one of my favorite Wrestlemania opening matches, as I'm a huge Raven fan and it was his one Wrestlemania moment. Glad he got it though. It almost made my card, but I already had two great opening matches back to back.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, awesome finish to that one too.

I think Roman and Cody are gonna have a good one this weekend too. Cody can elevate a match emotionally.
    Can't wait for tomorrow. Two guys in their prime, firing on all cylinders, legit face and legit heel, both over in every aspect. I can't remember the last time we had every box checked for a Wrestlemania main event that didn't involve a part-timer (though I guess Reigns qualifies as that now, technically.) I guess the closest was Rock vs. Cena, but I don't know, I don't recall being that invested in that one either because at the time, Cena's character was so watered down, and Rock wasn't The Rock everyone remembered. Here, Reigns is the best version of himself he'll ever be, and so is Cody. It reminds me of Rock/Austin at X-Seven.

Big in Japan. There are as many well-known and legendary promotions and performers (the wrestlers are performers) from Japan as the US. If not more.

Most wrestling fans would absolutely know who Kawada, Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, Inoki, Aja Kong, Toyota, Okada, Tanahashi are as Japanese wrestlers. When these people show(ed) up in the US it's usually with a lot of reverence and respect for their performances.

The most well-known wrestling promotion, WWE, just inducted this weekend a Japanese wrestler who never wrestled once for their organization. Keiji Muto, "The Great Muta", because he is such a highly, highly regarded Japanese wrestler.

Cultural differences.

In the US, pro wrestling is cheap to produce television programming and live shows can be done almost anywhere cheaply. That led to it proliferating in the US, Mexico, etc.

And Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth. They have their own distinctive style and traditions. Just as Japan and Mexico. These style differences are well enjoyed too.

Wrestling fans generally like to see "Lucha" (Mexican tradition) performer mixed with a Japanese Strong Style performer, for example. The organizations often promote matches based on these differences; such as

Similarly, most US audiences would not find Sakte-TV the least bit appealing and would find it extremely strange.
    I think i'm going to leave it at cultural differences after watching that.
    I do thank you for the explanation though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think i'm going to leave it at cultural differences after watching that.
    I do thank you for the explanation though.
    It's like watching Captain America vs. Iron Man except it is live in front of a crowd and there are no stunt doubles.

It's like watching Captain America vs. Iron Man except it is live in front of a crowd and there are no stunt doubles.
    I, eh, guess that sort of stuff never impressed me the way it did others here.
    I mean i've heard stories about people going whoa and all that in theatres, but honestly that's pretty much our local variant of an american-centric-weaboo sort of person. An Ameriboo?

Anyway point is i feel i'm missing something to really "get" this stuff.
    Feels like watching Bollywood somehow, but at least that stuff is so foreign that it's funny in that capacity. This stuff is just sort of in uncanny valley for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I, eh, guess that sort of stuff never impressed me the way it did others here.
    I mean i've heard stories about people going whoa and all that in theatres, but honestly that's pretty much our local variant of an american-centric-weaboo sort of person. An Ameriboo?

Anyway point is i feel i'm missing something to really "get" this stuff.
    Feels like watching Bollywood somehow, but at least that stuff is so foreign that it's funny in that capacity. This stuff is just sort of in uncanny valley for me.
    That's cool. It's not for everyone.