Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Who used their high level necromancy slot on this thread?
    Careful, Cubby gets right cross with anyone that dares to suggest that this thread, which had been abandoned for half of a decade, isn't relevant anymore.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I liked it when it first came out. My fear is that with Solo showing up on the heals of TLJ, that killed any momentum it would have had. With TLJ dividing the fan base, and still fresh out of theaters, I would guess that a lot of folks who might have seen it otherwise, just refused to go watch another Star Wars movie at that time.

I thought it was a fun space based sci-fi. I don't get most of the complaints about it. I enjoy a good origin story. I like to see where stuff came from. Definitely things I could pick at, like I didn't care for how Han got his last name /shrug. Probably my main gripe is that I didn't think Alden tried very hard to channel Harrison Ford's Han. Alden followed more Chris Pine's, Kirk portrayal, where I would preferred him follow Karl Urban's, Doc McCoy portrayal. When a character already exists, I lean more towards the actors "acting" like the established character versus 'making it their own'. Just my personal preference.

But as noted, that's just some nitpicking. I really enjoyed the movie when it came out, and have watched it a few times since.
    I agree - coming as it did with all the other Star Wars shenanigans didn't help. And there were some parts I didn't like either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's so "relevant" nobody has had anything to say about it for almost 5 years. And your contribution to the thread was "me like movie". If there was some new development about the movie...like a re-release, a director's cut, or a sequel being announced....that would be something worth reviving the thread about.
    I always get a good laugh out of your posts - denying reality, never EVER admitting you're wrong - even when the mods tell you flat out. Adorable - keep on being you.

As far as I know, There is no thread about Casablanca to"necro"...so your comparison is lacking.
    God, you're just horrible at this stuff. It's ok to be wrong, we all are times - you literally have a mod telling you you're wrong, and when given a solid analogy to demonstrate it as well, you just brush it off. Fucking hysterical.

It didn't do "reasonably well" at the box office...it bombed. It need to earn at least ~$500 million just to break even.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...es-1202825432/

https://web.archive.org/web/20200414...force-awakens/

It did not have the strong legs it needed. It ended up with ~$390 million worldwide. Because of that box office failure, Disney scrapped their plans to make Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films. Yes, those projects were eventually re-tooled into TV series....but each of them had much lower budgets.
    Good point about the box office take - I didn't realize it needed so much to just basically break even.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Still one of the worst solo movies they've made.
    I see what you did there....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Was it, though? I feel like this movie gets a lot of flack for no reason. Which is funny, because I feel like Rogue One gets a lot of undeserved praise.
    Agreed. I find it to be entirely enjoyable, some things wrong but nothing to big.

I don't agree with you about Rogue One - I liked that movie even more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's really only two issues with the film. The first is the casting for Han; he just doesn't look or act like a young Harrison Ford at all. I can forgive the appearance thing pretty easily, but taking your own spin on a beloved character isn't a great idea. The second is it's absolutely the most 'memberberries of any prequel/sequel to nearly any property, and it's awful. Han Solo doesn't need an explanation for why his last name is "Solo"; that makes his last name stupid. We don't need to know where he got his blaster. It's just unnecessary and puts focus on elements that don't call for focus in the first place. It's like how the prequels decided that Vader actually made C3-P0 and was partnered with R2 for ages; this adds nothing but the raising of really awkward questions and coincidences. Stop doing that, Star Wars. It's dumb. It makes the universe smaller, not bigger. Same way having every goddamned story end up on Tattooine does. C'mon, there's more than 6 planets in the galaxy, and Tattooine canonically is a sucky-ass backwater planet. Why is it THE most important planet in Star Wars? Solo: A Star Wars Story is by no means the only film doing this shit, but it's one of the most egregious about it.
    I agree with your overall point that they tried to cram too many 'memberberries' - a couple of them would have been nice, but the way they loaded the film it was just overkill.

I did think the young Han was cast reasonably well, and the movie itself had a nice origination plot. They brought in some good new characters and certainly opened up more arenas to take. It would be nice to see a film like this open up entirely new story lines so Star Wars can just be fun again. They keep trying to build on huge and overworked canon rather than just take a new swing at something entirely different.

Andor is a great example. Tied to New Hope (and barely at that), and then they run with it in Rogue One, and then capitalize it grandly with the best Star Wars series to date, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed. I find it to be entirely enjoyable, some things wrong but nothing to big.

I don't agree with you about Rogue One - I liked that movie even more.
    I'm with you, just in reverse. Solo is my favorite of the newer Star Wars movies followed by Rogue One. Everything else I'm a big "meh" on. That's probably at least partly a function of the fact that I'm wholly uninterested in the Jedi/Sith shenanigans besides as a backdrop for whatever everyone else is doing.

Honestly, I probably prefer getting my Star Wars story fix from SWTOR than any of the movies or TV shows.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I'm with you, just in reverse. Solo is my favorite of the newer Star Wars movies followed by Rogue One. Everything else I'm a big "meh" on. That's probably at least partly a function of the fact that I'm wholly uninterested in the Jedi/Sith shenanigans besides as a backdrop for whatever everyone else is doing.

Honestly, I probably prefer getting my Star Wars story fix from SWTOR than any of the movies or TV shows.
    I have a pretty light-hearted take on the entire franchise - and I will eat up almost everything they had me, they are usually at least reasonably entertaining movies if you don't dig too deep, and some are even good/great.

I've always enjoyed the religious super natural movies, and the Jedi quasi-religious piece makes it even better. I do wish they would branch off and take up wholly new story lines, and as @Endus mentioned, just stay the fuck away from Tatooie for awhile.

I

I always get a good laugh out of your posts - denying reality, never EVER admitting you're wrong - even when the mods tell you flat out. Adorable - keep on being you.
    Yes, the mod ruled that your necroing this thread didn't violate any rules. I never claimed any rules were violated. The thread had been, well, since you're sensitive about the term "dead"....let's just say it was dormant for 4.5 years...am I wrong about that? And it was your post about how much you liked the film that "revived" it?

And now the thread is just repeating the same talking points that were already discussed 4.5 years ago.

Good point about the box office take - I didn't realize it needed so much to just basically break even.
    It's okay, I know how hard it is for you to admit you were wrong and I was right....you don't have to say it.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2023-04-10 at 05:03 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the mod ruled that your necroing this thread didn't violate any rules. I never claimed any rules were violated. The thread had been, well, since you're sensitive about the term "dead"....let's just say it was dormant for 4.5 years...am I wrong about that? And it was your post about how much you liked the film that "revived" it?
    We all know that's about the best apology for being wrong we'll get from you. It's too bad you aren't capable of intellectual honesty.... More disappointing than surprising at this point.

And now the thread is just repeating the same talking points that were already discussed 4.5 years ago.
    You mean people are expressing opinions about a topic on a thread?!?! It's amazing to me the hard on you have for me and how you just can't let it go - or for that matter you bothered commenting on this at all. I appreciate the fandom, but next time maybe don't bother us with your irritating and pointless posts? We'd all be better off for it.

It's okay, I know how hard it is for you to admit you were wrong and I was right....you don't have to say it.
    Not at all - I did it immediately upon seeing the evidence, as I always do. Speaking of projection....
    Last edited by cubby; 2023-04-10 at 04:00 PM.

We all know that's about the best apology for being wrong we'll get from you. It's too bad you aren't capable of intellectual honesty.... More disappointing than surprising at this point.
    I agreed that the mod said that the thread didn't violate any rules. I never claimed it did. You want me to apologize for pointing out you mecroed a thread? Ok, I'm sorry for pointong out you necroed a thread.

You mean people are expressing opinions about a topic on a thread?!?! It's amazing to me the hard on you have for me and how you just can't let it go - or for that matter you bothered commenting on this at all. I appreciate the fandom, but next time maybe don't bother us with your irritating and pointless posts? We'd all be better off for it.
    Dude, you've made this personal from the moment I pointed out your thread necromenacy...because you have beef with me. Don't get on your high horse. Every time we get into this you immediately throw personal insults against me. No one needs a sermon from a hypocrite.

And drop this whole, "us" and "we" bullshit... you don't speak for anyone but yourself. Everyone else probably finds your posts at least as "irritating and pointless" as mine.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2023-04-10 at 06:42 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agreed that the mod said that the thread didn't violate any rules. I never claimed it did. You want me to apologize for pointing out you mecroed a thread? Ok, I'm sorry for pointong out you necroed a thread.
    And we're back to you still understanding the basics of how threads work and what necro means. Let us know when you catch up and we can continue the conversation.

Dude, you've made this personal from the moment I pointed out your thread necromenacy...because you have beef with me. Don't get on your high horse. Every time we get into this you immediately throw personal insults against me. No one needs a sermon from a hypocrite.

And drop this whole, "us" and "we" bullshit... you don't speak for anyone but yourself. Everyone else probably finds your posts at least as "irritating and pointless" as mine.
    Your projection is strong with the force...keep on being classy. I love that you already forgot what you said in this very thread, and now can't be bothered except to lie and continue to have a hard on for me...for whatever reason. Plenty of threads get brought back up for valid reasons (as was pointed out to you by the mod), it's so weird this is the only one you commented on. Weird, right?

Any-who, we're all pretty tired of your pointless and irritating posts. Please stay on the current topic or find another to have a crush on - either way, I don't really care. But I'm done responding to your lies and intellectual dishonesty.

Back on topic -

I understand Star Wars is coming out with three more movies, only one of which is entirely new content. We'll see how they do compared with the others that were stand alone and trilogy related.

And we're back to you still understanding the basics of how threads work and what necro means. Let us know when you catch up and we can continue the conversation.
    You revived a topic that had long since fallen out of discussion with an "I liked this movie" type of post. That's thread necromancy. It's not against any rules...which is all the mod said... but it's still thread necromancy. Had you posted any new updates about the thread, like an announcement of a sequel, a remake, director's cut, etc it would be just be thread necromancy.

Just so you are aware of the defintion with which I am using here:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/threa...f%20discussion.

Noun
    thread necromancy (uncountable)

(Internet, slang) On an Internet forum, the act of posting in a thread that is already considered dead and/or out of discussion.
    Now my own addition to that would be if there is some kind of update that warrants discussion (and I've pretty much already said this in the above portion) would not be thread necromancy. Your post, however, was just about how much you enjoyed the movie.

The topic had been out of discussion for 4.5 years. Can we at least agree on that objectively true statement?

Your projection is strong with the force...keep on being classy. I love that you already forgot what you said in this very thread, and now can't be bothered except to lie and continue to have a hard on for me...for whatever reason. Plenty of threads get brought back up for valid reasons (as was pointed out to you by the mod), it's so weird this is the only one you commented on. Weird, right?
    I've commented on a few Necroed threads really. This one happened to be necroed by you. Let me assure you that I wasn't "stalking" you. I just saw no reason for the thread to be pulled out of the backpages.

Any-who, we're all pretty tired of your pointless and irritating posts. Please stay on the current topic or find another to have a crush on - either way, I don't really care.
    Again with the royal "we". You're tired of my posts. I'm tired of yours. Let's just talk for ourselves, shall we?
    And let's just clear up one thing. We haven't had any kind of interaction (at least nothing I can recall) in months...and you think I'm "crushing" on you? Get over yourself. I disagree with plenty of people on this forum...you're not special to me. This just isn't as personal to me as it obviously is to you.

But I'm done responding to your lies and intellectual dishonesty.
    What have I lied about here? What "intellectual dishonesty"? All I said at the start of this was that this was thread necromancy...which is what I believe it to be. You took that as a personal attack...and that's entirely on you. Now, the mod has ruled that it reviving the thread is entirely within forum rules. And, just to get it on record, I never reported your "necromancy" to anyone. As far as I am aware, the mod made that comment on their own initiative... likely because they saw the discussion.

I'll tell you what...if you can let this go right now...I'll just leave the thread. My opinion on the movie (and the necromancy) has already been stated and there is really nothing more to discuss from me. The only thing this exchange is accomplishing is to keep this thread from once again falling into the nether. Ciao!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Have you been watching any of the series?

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to agree with this thought process. I understand why a gaming forum for an ever changing game would limit thread life spans, as threads from previous expansions, and even previous patches, quickly become outdated and irrelevant. In this case, the movie "Solo" hasn't changed, so the thread still seems pertinent. What would be interesting to see is how opinions have or haven't changed in the years since it released.

I liked it when it first came out. My fear is that with Solo showing up on the heals of TLJ, that killed any momentum it would have had. With TLJ dividing the fan base, and still fresh out of theaters, I would guess that a lot of folks who might have seen it otherwise, just refused to go watch another Star Wars movie at that time.

I thought it was a fun space based sci-fi. I don't get most of the complaints about it. I enjoy a good origin story. I like to see where stuff came from. Definitely things I could pick at, like I didn't care for how Han got his last name /shrug. Probably my main gripe is that I didn't think Alden tried very hard to channel Harrison Ford's Han. Alden followed more Chris Pine's, Kirk portrayal, where I would preferred him follow Karl Urban's, Doc McCoy portrayal. When a character already exists, I lean more towards the actors "acting" like the established character versus 'making it their own'. Just my personal preference.

But as noted, that's just some nitpicking. I really enjoyed the movie when it came out, and have watched it a few times since.
    Little divergence but wanted to also ask you if watched any of the Star Wars series and if so did you like any of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's really only two issues with the film. The first is the casting for Han; he just doesn't look or act like a young Harrison Ford at all. I can forgive the appearance thing pretty easily, but taking your own spin on a beloved character isn't a great idea. The second is it's absolutely the most 'memberberries of any prequel/sequel to nearly any property, and it's awful. Han Solo doesn't need an explanation for why his last name is "Solo"; that makes his last name stupid. We don't need to know where he got his blaster. It's just unnecessary and puts focus on elements that don't call for focus in the first place. It's like how the prequels decided that Vader actually made C3-P0 and was partnered with R2 for ages; this adds nothing but the raising of really awkward questions and coincidences. Stop doing that, Star Wars. It's dumb. It makes the universe smaller, not bigger. Same way having every goddamned story end up on Tattooine does. C'mon, there's more than 6 planets in the galaxy, and Tattooine canonically is a sucky-ass backwater planet. Why is it THE most important planet in Star Wars? Solo: A Star Wars Story is by no means the only film doing this shit, but it's one of the most egregious about it.
    I know you and I both enjoyed Andor immensely (if I'm remembering correctly) - some of the writing and plot development were light years ahead of any of the other series. Have you seen the trailer for the new Ahsoka series? It looks at least at first blush Andor-esque - and it's listed as a mini-series rather than a series which is interesting....

I watched the first two seasons of The Mandalorian and it was mostly enjoyable. Otherwise, I've only watched an episode or two of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan, neither really grabbed me.

I like Star Wars, but honestly, none of it since the 80s can hold a candle to the original trilogy. Some of it is enjoyable enough, like Solo, Rogue One, or The Mandalorian, but I wouldn't have terribly missed them if they didn't exist. As I said, I get better Star Wars storytelling from SWTOR than any movie or TV show that's been produced post-RotJ.

I know you and I both enjoyed Andor immensely (if I'm remembering correctly) - some of the writing and plot development were light years ahead of any of the other series. Have you seen the trailer for the new Ahsoka series? It looks at least at first blush Andor-esque - and it's listed as a mini-series rather than a series which is interesting....
    Have you watched the animated shows? They are action oriented and not slow burns.

Felt more like a movie trailer than for a show.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Was it, though? I feel like this movie gets a lot of flack for no reason. Which is funny, because I feel like Rogue One gets a lot of undeserved praise.
    Rogue One was better than the newest trilogy - it has well deserved praise. The Mandalorian and Rogue One peak current Star Wars honestly, they’re the best from the newer series and films.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I watched the first two seasons of The Mandalorian and it was mostly enjoyable. Otherwise, I've only watched an episode or two of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan, neither really grabbed me.

I like Star Wars, but honestly, none of it since the 80s can hold a candle to the original trilogy. Some of it is enjoyable enough, like Solo, Rogue One, or The Mandalorian, but I wouldn't have terribly missed them if they didn't exist. As I said, I get better Star Wars storytelling from SWTOR than any movie or TV show that's been produced post-RotJ.
    If you're up for it, I would highly recommend giving Andor a shot. It was a much better series than those other three. A couple of scenes towards the end of the first season have some of the best writing I've seen in any of the star wars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Have you watched the animated shows? They are action oriented and not slow burns.

Felt more like a movie trailer than for a show.
    I haven't, and I know I should - I have trouble getting into animated shows that have RL basis - and I have no good reason for it, either. If you were going to recommend one, what would you suggest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Rogue One was better than the newest trilogy - it has well deserved praise. The Mandalorian and Rogue One peak current Star Wars honestly, they’re the best from the newer series and films.
    Have you watched Andor yet?

Clone wars improves on the prequels n anakin, introduces Ahsoka, she is this teen that's annoying at first, but then she learns from her mistakes, becomes a better person.
    This series have way more episodes n seasons, sometimes the episodes are not even order, so u go back in time again for a story arch, like as if they didn't have time to finish it and continued later..
    In prequels anakin is a jedi which means he has to have an apprentice, they never bothered to show it, so this show does it with young teen Ahsoka. She is not a fan favorite 1st season but later becomes everyones favorite character.
    The Anakin character is way more competent n not annoying, beats George Lucas version by far, not even a contest.
    Lots of episodes with count dookuu, which i like.

Rebels is more straight forward, set during empire era, mostly on planet Lothal, introducing Kanan an order 66 youngling escapee that has grown up nvtries to train local force sensitive kid Ezra. Introducing the Inquisitors, thrawn.
    There is little Ahsoka for a few episodes, she is young adult now.
    Has more Mandalorian lore than clone wars.
    Has the most evil grumpy hilarious droid ever, Chopper.

Clone wars has way more Ahsoka, but the coming Ahsoka show is a direct follow up to Rebels show. So its like going from rogue one to a new hope.
    Last edited by Golightly; 2023-04-11 at 07:57 AM.

If we talking about Solo the movie was...ok

It wasn't good and it wasn't bad and it just felt very very safe.
    Let's go through the motions nothing offensive nothing too out of left field and let's throw Darth Maul and have Han Shoot First

Honestly I think it probably would of done better as either a book series or a Disney+ special

Solo was a decent movie but it suffered from the TLJ backlash.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone is interested, they do actually continue the elements of the he story the comics. In particular Maul's syndicate an Qiras involvement. Shame the movie tanked because they obviously had more on screen stuff planned.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Really liked Mando season 1 and 2. Really liked Andor.
    Have not been enjoying Mando season 3, and did not care for either the Fett or Obi-Wan series.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Really liked Mando season 1 and 2. Really liked Andor.
    Have not been enjoying Mando season 3, and did not care for either the Fett or Obi-Wan series.
    I had about the same reactions to the above, aside from having not started Mando s3.

I would highly recommend trying out Andor - they did a very good job with plot and writing.