Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

DF spell rotation too bloated?

I do like Dragonflight so far, but with the redone talent tree came newer spell rotations.

And I play a variety of classes and specs and almost all of them in DF have overly complicated rotations now. Well "complicated" isn't the word, but just way too many spells to click and pay attention too.

Most my classes used to get by with like a 4 to 6 spell rotation, now its 8 to 10 spells.

Demon Hunter used to be a simple 3 or 4 spell rotation, now its way more.

Or the 45 sec or 60 sec spells you use rarely but now nedd to be a part of your core rotation.

And for what? Why do this Blizzard?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you can’t keep up with your class change your talents and take less buttons that’s the good thing about the new talent system.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    No issues here? The new talent tree permits you to adjust for your playstyle and design. Break the meta!
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

One of the worst things blizz did to wow was ability pruning.
    Reduced its RPG aspect, made its classes less complex than hack&slash titles.

Primary reason why i stopped playing retail wow is that the classes got so boring it made all forms of content boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    I do like Dragonflight so far, but with the redone talent tree came newer spell rotations.

And I play a variety of classes and specs and almost all of them in DF have overly complicated rotations now. Well "complicated" isn't the word, but just way too many spells to click and pay attention too.

Most my classes used to get by with like a 4 to 6 spell rotation, now its 8 to 10 spells.

Or the 45 sec or 60 sec spells you use rarely but now nedd to be a part of your core rotation.

Nope for most of my dps alts/main.

You can pick and chose your talents. For classes i do not play a lot or only for proffesions/reps etc i take "passive" heavy spell builds. Side stepping anything that is a click able stuff

With the new talent system you can sacrifice some active buttons for an easier rotation. Yes, you won't have the optimal built anymore but you probably don't need it for the content you do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    One of the worst things blizz did to wow was ability pruning.
    Reduced its RPG aspect, made its classes less complex than hack&slash titles.

Primary reason why i stopped playing retail wow is that the classes got so boring it made all forms of content boring.
    Well good news for you about dragonflight.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

If you like having a lot of buttons, you now have the option to have them. If you don't, you have the option to not talent into them and instead go for passive effects

You can still use a pretty simple Demon Hunter rotation that's only 4-6 rotation spells. There are more options and some builds perform better on certain fights or M+ vs Raid, but you can still be fine with a Demonic Build that is very similar to what we've had the past several expansions.

The new Talent system is far, far superior than what we've had in recent history, from my perspective. I main a DH, if you need help, shoot me a DM and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

I do agree, the basics have gotten pretty bloated on many classes, and i say that as an altoholic with 7 classes.
    And then there is beast mastery.

Edit: Frankly with quite a few classes they should change certain talents into "changes ability X into ability X+" rather than introducing a whole new ability for it.
    I'm not in favor of zealous pruning, but abilities should have a "raison d'etre", a reason for existing.

If it's just a flat "press button to only do unremarkable damage" then just fold it into auto attack or something (or into an applied DoT).
    Though mind you: Such abilities could still serve as "coat hangers" so to speak, on which you could hang a "coat" of added mechanics to make them more interesting by expanding them.
    Last edited by loras; 2023-05-01 at 03:10 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new talent tree is amazing, i do hope we getting new skills in 11.0
    Whole game needs a revamp, including skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea even the developers have acknowledge some classes have way to much bloat. This is what people wanted apparently?

I do find it comical that back in wrath the said they didn't like how enh shammies had to use like 19 of their abilities and totems to do full dps, got away from that and it was better in cata, probably best in legion, now they're back to wrath enh with 11 buttons to press again lol. Spriests kinda feel the same, warriors are getting up there again. Besides that I really dislike how damn near every spec is basically a rogue now with the build/spend dps cycle.

Barbed shot —> Kill command and Cobra shot is more than enough + Some dps cooldowns.

Simplify all classes now!

If people like ability bloat they can play SWTOR or FF14

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Some specs just have a ridiculous amount of CDs. I think Brew has 5 *dps* cooldowns? On a tank spec?

I know what you mean and started playing Frost Mage this xpac because it seemed simpler. I regret that because of how bored I'm getting with the rotation.

At first, any new class is going to seem complicated but once you start playing it for a month, everything clicks in, and there's just enough complexity to make it interesting but not so much that you don't understand how to do maximal dps.

Choose a class you like and just start playing. You'll eventually be able to incorporate the more complex elements of the class and optimize your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Barbed shot —> Kill command and Cobra shot is more than enough + Some dps cooldowns.

Simplify all classes now!

If people like ability bloat they can play SWTOR or FF14
    Screw that: 1 ability max!

Heck, why even press buttons? Shift all damage into auto attacks!

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    Some specs just have a ridiculous amount of CDs. I think Brew has 5 *dps* cooldowns? On a tank spec?
    Yea, Brewmaster is one of the worst offenders imo too.

The many defensives it gained is nice, it was always a wierd thing to not have any real defensive cd's as a tank.
    But the offensive ones? Pure annoyance.

1) Rushing Jade Wind either has to go already or be made into passive.
    Non-stop pressing this thing is the most tedious thing in the spec. Make it a passive, tie it to spinning crane kick or one of the brews, give it more damage and an internal CD and you have one less pointless keybind.

2) The tiger statue thing is a joke. I'd like to see it removed entirely.

3) Either weapons of order or bonedust brew has to go, or maybe add them to a choice node. A tank spec does not need so many dps cd's.

4) They could remove rising sun kick as well. It was a pointless addition to the already fast-paced rotation of the brewmaster. Increase blackout kicks damage for primary targets instead.

WoW's bloated rotations is one of my big issues with the game. I have 16 keybinds (1 through 6, ~, R, T, G, X, F1 through F4, and a button on the side of my mouse), have taken talents that consolidate abilities (Crusader Strike Autoattack, Consecration merged into Blade of Justice) and avoided talents that add new abilities (except for Wake of Ashes which is mandatory), have created macros to condense buttons, and I still can't cover all of the abilities and items. I don't have room on my two bars to fit the Kyrian Hearthstone/resurrection/battle resurrection/Soulstone/PvP stunbreak trinket/Potions/wingshredder 5,000/goblin glider. In order to use those, either I have to mouse over and click, click to a different bar and click the ability or item and then click back, or open a menu such as my spellbook and flip through the pages and click or open my inventory and search for it in there. I much prefer GW2 where you only have 10 combat abilities, period (and occasionally an 11th action button bound to N), and I can comfortably use my other keybinds for other functions.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-05-02 at 09:59 PM.

Bloat is terrible.

Not because having lots of buttons is a problem per se (though definitely it's not great in 2023 to have 30 binds) but because a lot of those buttons feel so, so terrible to press.

There's a bunch of specs with abilities that have no real impact - they're not genuine cooldowns that you window/pool for, they're not situational tools, they're not rotationally relevant - they're just something you randomly press every 30-60 seconds or whatever and makes up something like 5% of your total damage. That's horrible design. It's having a button just to have a button.

Some specs work really well, with tight interactions, not too many and not too few abilities, and a genuine flow to things. That's awesome. And others feel like you're playing the piano for no reason, with double and triple modifier binds just to get everything assigned but without the actual complexity that would come with a very involved rotation.

Most specs could probably lose 2-4 abilities in their arsenal and it would make almost no difference. That means there's just some stuff in there that doesn't have a real purpose.