Page 90 of 116 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Seems to be that every time they study reintroducing a native species to its habitat after we've removed them that the local habitat ends up thriving. Sure makes a lot of sense.
    It's at the point where there's actually serious scientific discussion over the possibility of bringing back wooly mammoths with recovered DNA, and reintroducing them into the far north, since there's a ton of evidence that megafauna tramping about broke up permafrosts and encouraged way more plant growth in the tundra. Like, enough to support populations of megafauna.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's at the point where there's actually serious scientific discussion over the possibility of bringing back wooly mammoths with recovered DNA, and reintroducing them into the far north, since there's a ton of evidence that megafauna tramping about broke up permafrosts and encouraged way more plant growth in the tundra. Like, enough to support populations of megafauna.
    Do we really want to break up that permafrost and release all the methane?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Do we really want to break up that permafrost and release all the methane?
    That's a bygone conclusion at this point. A question of "when", not "if".

Central hotter than average is not good. Their drought situation will likely get much worse.

I think wheat crops are pretty much gone for the year.

Isn't this year gonna have El Nino? Gonna have some record heat waves is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Isn't this year gonna have El Nino? Gonna have some record heat waves is my guess.
    Predicted for the Midwest.
    Coastal states may get cooler than average.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Probably lots and lots of rain that'll keep the coast cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If NOAA is correct, California should be cooler then normal with late start and shorter summer.

The bay area is expected to experience the whole cycle of May Gray, June Gloom, No Sky July and FogGust this year.

Here is the local weather for the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    If NOAA is correct, California should be cooler then normal with late start and shorter summer.

The bay area is expected to experience the whole cycle of May Gray, June Gloom, No Sky July and FogGust this year.
    Shit, that'll be fuckin grand. And great for the garden/doing work outside if it's not miserably hot the whole summer, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Shit, that'll be fuckin grand. And great for the garden/doing work outside if it's not miserably hot the whole summer, again.
    My hope is that we'll have a shorter and less severe fire season. Similar to the 2022 fire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    My hope is that we'll have a shorter and less severe fire season. Similar to the 2022 fire season.
    That's one thing I don't miss about living out west.

Of course, when I was growing up, we didn't have "fire season."
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Of course, when I was growing up, we didn't have "fire season."
    When I talk to climate change deniers I like to brag about the sturdy wooden sleigh I had as a kid and compare if they had a wooden too or a flimsy plastic one that broke every year after being used and abused for a couple weeks. I then ask what kind of sleigh their kids have today. And get a blank look when they have to admit no sled at all because there's like one day of snow per winter. And they still can't make a connection to climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    When I talk to climate change deniers I like to brag about the sturdy wooden sleigh I had as a kid and compare if they had a wooden too or a flimsy plastic one that broke every year after being used and abused for a couple weeks. I then ask what kind of sleigh their kids have today. And get a blank look when they have to admit no sled at all because there's like one day of snow per winter. And they still can't make a connection to climate change.
    Same where I grew up (Italian Alps). Every winter, we would go sledding in the apple orchards near our house with our neighbors. It was possible for weeks every winter. Sometimes, we would even just sled down the road down the valley to the next village if the snow was fresh and the road hasn't been cleared yet. Nowadays, there are maybe one or two snow days a year, at least in my home village, which isn't high up in the mountains. Besides it being too warm most of the year, precipitation has gone down a lot on average.

Wildfires have always been part of the reality of living in California as far back as I can remember (I arrived in 1978). The most striking aspect of the impact of climate change to California wildfires is the number of large acreages fires that occurred in the last 2 to 5 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Great graphic

Top 20 California fires since 1950 aka. top 17 California fires since 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

There haven't been any storms in California for the last two months. However, the area with no drought is still expanding. Between May 16 and May 23, it increased from 68.02% to 70.86%.

According to data, Bay Area coastal region only saw 1 fog free sunset in May. We are used to overnight drizzles. In May we consistently have been getting overnight showers. Temperature wise, we rarely broke 60.

Cooling demand outlook for 2023. It does not look like that California will have problems meeting the energy demands this summer. The fire season is also being pushed back this year. Hopefully there will only be a short window between the start of the fire season and the wet season in 2023.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2023-05-31 at 05:49 PM.

Louisianna, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia sue US government over steep flood insurance rate increases

Louisiana and nine other states filed a lawsuit against the federal government Thursday to block sharp increases in national flood insurance rates that are slated to be phased in over the coming years, saying the steeper price could cost some people their homes.

Dozens of local Louisiana governments and flood control districts also are plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. district court in New Orleans. The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency are among the defendants.

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry joined several local officials and business leaders at a news conference announcing the suit Thursday morning.

FEMA has said its new premium system is an improvement over past methods, incorporating data that wasn't used in the past, including scientific models and costs involved in rebuilding a home. The agency has said the old method could result in people with lower-valued homes paying more than a fair share while those with higher-value homes pay relatively less.

However, Louisiana officials have been complaining for months about the coming rate hikes, saying they could impose impossible financial burdens on some in the state.

Increases are capped at 18% annually. But when they are fully implemented, some residents will be paying significantly more.

An April analysis of Louisiana rates by The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate put the average increase in the state at 134%. But officials have been pointing to various individuals facing eventual tenfold increases in their annual premiums, including some whose homes have never flooded.

In a lawsuit filed in April seeking access to information and data used to calculate rates, St. Charles Parish officials said the average cost of flood insurance policies there will increase from $815 to $2,766 annually.

At Thursday's news conference, state and local officials renewed complaints that federal officials have refused to divulge methodology and data used in computing the new rates. And, they said, the new premium rates fail to take into account individual homeowners' flood mitigation efforts, such as house raising, or local governments' construction of levees and other flood protection measures.

The high rates could drive some people from their homes, bring on foreclosures and contribute to Louisiana's loss of population, Landry said. “We want reasonable, reliable premiums so that Louisiana can grow and thrive,” he said.

Here I thought climate change and rising sea level are fake news.

Capitalism strikes again. How dare these insurance companies profiteer and/or make sensible adjustments given the scientific realities of the kinds of costs they're looking at potentially having to cover in the coming years.

Sucks that it hits poor folks the hardest and they're the ones who are already going to get thunderfucked by all this.