Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    But i do ahve to admit that Thrawn design and the people beside him is freaking awesome, dunno what alien they are, but is dope as f
    Both Thrawn and the people beside him are apart of the alien race known as the Chiss. Assuming they don't change anything about them, the Chiss as a whole are an incredibly cunning and pragmatic race, one of the few non-human species in the Empire to not suffer overt discrimination. In his original backstory, Thrawn and the Chiss managed to dance circles around the Imperial Expeditionary Force that came calling to their homeworld, so Palpatine actually invited them to join the Empire, rather than going for the traditional methods of conquest.

While it still bugs me that they murdered the EU and then cannibalized the "good" parts, I will say that what little I've seen of Thrawn in Rebels has, for the most part, been pretty faithful to the character, and the fact that Filoni, Favreau, and Mikkelson are involved with this project leaves me hopeful that will continue.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Disney did the right thing, regardless if competent people were in charge or not. Regardless if they have Kathleen Kennedy or some talented Empire Strikes Back level of talent.

EU is full of crap, contradictions, George Lucas wasn't consulted so lots of is just disrespectful...

It has good stuff like Thrawn, but crap like Luke clones, mara jade (red sonja star wars waifu that is like Luke+Han Solo with bwebs)...

It would fuck up the lore not to make non-canon...this way they can pick out the good parts n make it make sense with current lore (There's no Din Djarin, Din Grogu, Ahsoka in EU)

People honestly think they would do it just like the books even though the books contradict each other

No company in the world would just accept EU as canon n then spend insane amount of time n energy to try to make it cohorent which is freaking impossible...

People need to set their emotions aside n think logically about this...complaining is easy, but would you want to be the person who gets the task of making the EU coherent?

Disney Wars would be in the bottom 20% of the EU in terms of writing hell the Vong crap is better than Disney Wars

10+ Year Old Account
    Last Jedi and RoS where some of the most terrible movies i have seen in my life. But ill admit most of the other Disney Star Wars stuff has been pretty decent. I have hopes for this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, carrie fisher is dead so no leia...and harrison ford is stumbling through indiana jones, guy is too old, disney tried to bring back luke in the mandalorian but it creeped people out with the de-aging tech.. so can't use the old crew.. at least we are spared that mara jade
    You can 100% use the old crew, if the story require, its called recasting, especially useful when the original actor died or when doing reboots

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenRavens View Post
    Has a single frame even been shot yet? How can you hear anything negative about it.
    Because they mention stuff, they talk about it(they being the folks doing the movie), some of then are not positive, some include changings from the novel.

Have you not been watching the Mandalorian? The show is great. All of this is great news.
    Season 2 wa sok but season 3 was bad, book of boba fett bad, obi-wan awful, The only good thing disney star wars manage to pull on live-action so far was rogue one and Andor(evne if slow as f)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Both Thrawn and the people beside him are apart of the alien race known as the Chiss. Assuming they don't change anything about them, the Chiss as a whole are an incredibly cunning and pragmatic race, one of the few non-human species in the Empire to not suffer overt discrimination. In his original backstory, Thrawn and the Chiss managed to dance circles around the Imperial Expeditionary Force that came calling to their homeworld, so Palpatine actually invited them to join the Empire, rather than going for the traditional methods of conquest.
    Taht seems like good stuff to explore for sure.

While it still bugs me that they murdered the EU and then cannibalized the "good" parts, I will say that what little I've seen of Thrawn in Rebels has, for the most part, been pretty faithful to the character, and the fact that Filoni, Favreau, and Mikkelson are involved with this project leaves me hopeful that will continue.
    after the awful movies and shows lately, im not rly that eager or hopefully, since Filoni, from i remember(could be wrong on this one) had a hand on all of the sequel trilogy and tv-shows.

The interview with the casting talking about it, also, ykes, seems like is DOA

5+ Year Old Account
    Is this a serious post? I don't think so.

No, u can't re-cast harrison-fucking-han-solo, or leia, or luke

You can't say absurd shit like that n then complain about bad shows n movies after u pitched such nonsense

No, Filoni had nothing to do with the movies, he was doing the animated shows clone wars n sw rebels, bad batch...

Honestly i am just sick of the whole time period...

Go back a few thousand years or jump a few hundred. ANYTHING without skywalkers... This whole point in time as been sucked so dry.

Also people allready have the EU if they read it or not. No matter what they do. People will say: "Reeeeee it was different in the EU!!! this is shiiiiiit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post

Go back a few thousand years or jump a few hundred. ANYTHING without skywalkers... This whole point in time as been sucked so dry.
    Been saying exactly this for a while now. It is refreshing to hear it from someone else.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm thrilled and excited for new Star Wars movies. I realize the last three weren't the best - but I actually enjoyed the first two of the last three, so I don't have such a negative opinion on Disney SW movies as most of the posters here do. (That third one though - I get it - it was crap.)

But also honestly - I've been, and still am, peeved they want to do the "MC UNIVERSE" to Star Wars. I effin HATE the cross-tie tv shows that Disney claims are important to be watching between the movies. I hate a media company trying to tie-force me into watching more and more hours of side-bullshit, even though I get why they do it, I don't agree with the philosophy, at all, and hope the rest of humanity catches up to my hate at what these companies are hoping to accomplish. STOP FALLING FOR IT!

I hate the fact that the "MandoVerse' is a fucking VERSE, when all I gave a shit about was the single tv show. I don't watch Star Wars animated shows and I don't want to feel I need to. I don't give that much of a shit. I don't care two shits to watch Akosha, but right now feel almost like I better, because otherwise I might miss "Mando Season 3.5" (at least I didn't miss it in Boba Fett, a character I DID care about, but that show was only passable.) and apparently I better, because the fucking Movie that's going to CONCLUDE the ONE show I care to watch (Mandalorian) involving all this bullshit from other shows, and other characters, I don't care to watch. So now I better watch Akosha, or else i'm probably going to be lost for half the plot to the MANDOverse movie wrap-up.

So they're "Universing" it all (the ends of these shows) into a single concluding movie in a few years - so fuck you Disney. If I had known this I may not have started watching Mandalorian - because the sheer idea of its 'ending' being in a movie that isn't even "Mandalorian's Movie" is putting a bad taste in my mouth.

"Mandatory TV" is not something anyone actually WANTS, except of course the media companies. And this just feels more and more like they are going to turn all the recurrent IPs into "Sure enjoy the movies - but you better watch all these shows, or else you wont' really be able to enjoy the movie!" Mandatory TV. Bullshit. Its not there yet, because these MCU shows have ended up barely tied in (thankfully), but I'm sure that's only because they've not perfected the formula yet.

And its bullshit.

But I'm still happy we're getting Star Wars movies again. At least, I hope i'm still happy enough with Disney and Star Wars to watch it when its released. If I feel like I won't be able to enjoy the movie without watching 8 other tie in series, fuck them. They'll destroy it all for me.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is this a serious post? I don't think so.

No, u can't re-cast harrison-fucking-han-solo, or leia, or luke
    now, i ask, is this a serious post? why do you think they are sacred or holy? you can recast actors to do new movies or reboots, in fact you should.
    You can't say absurd shit like that n then complain about bad shows n movies after u pitched such nonsense
    so, in a future, when they are going to reboot a new hope, your take is to reboot the movie but without those 3, the story will be all chewbaka, got it.

lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Honestly, I'm thrilled and excited for new Star Wars movies. I realize the last three weren't the best - but I actually enjoyed the first two of the last three, so I don't have such a negative opinion on Disney SW movies as most of the posters here do. (That third one though - I get it - it was crap.)

But also honestly - I've been, and still am, peeved they want to do the "MC UNIVERSE" to Star Wars. I effin HATE the cross-tie tv shows that Disney claims are important to be watching between the movies. I hate a media company trying to tie-force me into watching more and more hours of side-bullshit, even though I get why they do it, I don't agree with the philosophy, at all, and hope the rest of humanity catches up to my hate at what these companies are hoping to accomplish. STOP FALLING FOR IT!

I hate the fact that the "MandoVerse' is a fucking VERSE, when all I gave a shit about was the single tv show. I don't watch Star Wars animated shows and I don't want to feel I need to. I don't give that much of a shit. I don't care two shits to watch Akosha, but right now feel almost like I better, because otherwise I might miss "Mando Season 3.5" (at least I didn't miss it in Boba Fett, a character I DID care about, but that show was only passable.) and apparently I better, because the fucking Movie that's going to CONCLUDE the ONE show I care to watch (Mandalorian) involving all this bullshit from other shows, and other characters, I don't care to watch. So now I better watch Akosha, or else i'm probably going to be lost for half the plot to the MANDOverse movie wrap-up.

So they're "Universing" it all (the ends of these shows) into a single concluding movie in a few years - so fuck you Disney. If I had known this I may not have started watching Mandalorian - because the sheer idea of its 'ending' being in a movie that isn't even "Mandalorian's Movie" is putting a bad taste in my mouth.

"Mandatory TV" is not something anyone actually WANTS, except of course the media companies. And this just feels more and more like they are going to turn all the recurrent IPs into "Sure enjoy the movies - but you better watch all these shows, or else you wont' really be able to enjoy the movie!" Mandatory TV. Bullshit. Its not there yet, because these MCU shows have ended up barely tied in (thankfully), but I'm sure that's only because they've not perfected the formula yet.

And its bullshit.

But I'm still happy we're getting Star Wars movies again. At least, I hope i'm still happy enough with Disney and Star Wars to watch it when its released. If I feel like I won't be able to enjoy the movie without watching 8 other tie in series, fuck them. They'll destroy it all for me.
    I'm not sure what the complaint is.

SW has always been treated as been like this. Always. The threads coming together in the movie go back to Clone Wars, Mando was just the live-action addition and where the plot became mainstream. The unifying structure of the MCU is modeled after large universes like SW that maintained connecting plots across decades.

If you want the "complete" story of any fictional universe large in scope, you have to consume the material, there's no way around it. That's not saying you can't get the general idea, SW included. But to complain that you can't just jump into a story that has been progressing for 10 years and not be caught up is odd to say the least.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm not sure what the complaint is.

SW has always been treated as been like this. Always. The threads coming together in the movie go back to Clone Wars, Mando was just the live-action addition and where the plot became mainstream. The unifying structure of the MCU is modeled after large universes like SW that maintained connecting plots across decades.

If you want the "complete" story of any fictional universe large in scope, you have to consume the material, there's no way around it. That's not saying you can't get the general idea, SW included. But to complain that you can't just jump into a story that has been progressing for 10 years and not be caught up is odd to say the least.
    Um, no, it hasn't "always" been like this. Cross-series inter-dependence is an entirely new way of doing tv shows/movie/media. That is not the same thing as connected multiple movies, in a series, over years. And that's not the same thing as having books, comic books, and other tv series out there in the same lore landscape but only loosely connected.

TV shows have never been inter-dependent the way Mandoverse is *claiming* they are doing, and movie plots have rarely to never been dependent on knowing what happened in a tv show. Because up until Disney and the MCU and more recent streaming, this was never even a thing that was really tried. Shows culminated in series ending episodes, maybe an extended 'movie length' episode, but still an episode of that *one* series, ending.

What I'm talking about is a much more inter-dependent connection between varying shows/movies plot lines that ends up creating "mandatory" watching in order to enjoy the future plots (its not there yet, but we're getting more evidence they are going that way). I'm not talking about Clone Wars 'type' of inter-connected lore, where you can take it or leave it, and still enjoy Star Wars 7. Or every single hero movie leading up to Endgame I and II (because no every one wasn't necessary to watch to enjoy endgame). I'm not even talking about something like WandaVision, which was giving people the impression the story mattered that much to the upcoming movies, when in actuality - it meant jack to the movie. That's all fine. That's all good. That HAS been more the standard and that's peachy.

I'm talking about important story beats of one show, being played in another show. I'm talking about Mando Season 2.5 appearing in Boba Fett. I'm talking about their 'plan' that the entire plotlines of MULTIPLE SHOWS being wrapped up in a ONE movie - and not each their OWN series ending/movie. I don't want to feel I have to watch Akosha, or Andor, or whatever else, because I enjoy the Mandalorian series and want to enjoy the movie ending that plotline. Do you get the significant difference I'm trying to explain?

I didn't have to watch Clone Wars, or Bad Batch, or read any of the SW related books, etc. and neither did anyone else, to *enjoy* and understand anything else in the Star Wars universe. Its great that its there, for those who do want more lore and more details and such, but it isn't necessary to understand or enjoy the rest of the media. Yes, for the 100% COMPLETE picture, you can consumer it all. But its not *necessary* to consume it all to follow each, individual, part. Its connected, but not DEPENDENT.

But I feel really bad for anyone who started Mando Season 3 without realizing (or being able to watch) the plot they left in Season 2 was actually wrapped in another show. That's DEPENDENT, not just connected. That's not making boba fett necessary just to those who want a 'complete picture', that's making boba feet necessary for anyone who wants just all the parts of the plot of Mando to make *sense*. That's not the same.

If a single movie plot, in 3 hours (or less) is going to be about the culminations of multiple-tv-show-plots - a viewer's enjoyment is going to, at least somewhat, be related to how much they give a shit about all those characters, or understand about their role in that 'culminating plot'. If they haven't watched those shows, obviously, enjoyment probably reduced, depending on how involved that plot is with each particular character, or show. (unless they enjoy the movie without caring about any of it and that's fine too, that's just not how everyone enjoys movies) If the major plot points of one show are bounced into another show - that's inter-DEPENDENCE. Not just connected. And its not how its always been done. Apples to Oranges.

And that doesn't even get me into how skeezy-bad-for the consumer this entire idea becomes if they pull it off successfully.

Now sure, if this is all a feint the way WandaVision and other shows have been *so far*, in that really they're just loosely connected and more information but not necessary to enjoy the movies or other shows. Great! Course, we don't know that now, and they aren't going to make it seem like they are only 'loosely connected' while they hype up these shows. And they've already shown they aren't leaving it at that - because a major plot event of one show already took place in another show. They're showing a movement towards NOT keeping it loose - but turning it more 'required' watching - to be able to follow and enjoy the shows you WANT and ARE enjoying, to have to watch shit you may not care about watching.

And as long as that quality remains so variable - from some content being quality and some being shit (as people already experience) - then you just get more burnout. I don't want to have to watch a shit-show to enjoy a quality show!

I don't want to feel I have to watch Akosha to enjoy the movie that's a "Culmination" of the Mandalorian show's plot. That's what's bullshit. None of tv/movie media has ever implied or required such. I just lucked out in watching Boba Fett to catch the important Mando plot I would have missed out on otherwise. I also don't want to have to track all media about every Related-Verse show of the MCU or Star Wars to "figure out" if I'm missing something that actually matters to other properties (and try to avoid spoilers - ha), and then go find those bits or episodes to watch. Please, fuck you disney, just no!

I mean imagine if in order to enjoy half the plot of the Deadpool 3 movie, you had to go back and watch the first two seasons of the CW Flash? (picking random, only sharing a verse, type of characters, not actually literal here) That's what I'm talking about is NOT the same, and is what I cry as "bullshit!"

And if a consumer isn't seeing the difference between inter-connected media within an IP, and inter-dependent media in that IP, well then, enjoy. Because what they appear to *try* to be doing is definitely different, and where it leads is ugg... just bad for all media consumers. I mean brilliant from the capitalist company standpoint - entrenched, guaranteed , mandatory, viewership (regardless of quality) to hope to enjoy future content is $$$ - but that's why its bad for everyone else.

And seeing where that heads, already leaving that bad taste in my mouth. Just no, please no. Please, media consuming public, make them keep shit loosely connected and not inter-dependent! *begs*
    Last edited by Koriani; 2023-05-25 at 06:32 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    You do fucking realize that Star Wars started as episode 4 and not 1?,................

This movie one would wish would stand on its own.

Just like many liked Infinity War without having seen many or no mcu movies..but in your example you for some reason mentioned endgame, which on its own is pretty MEH at best.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post

Also people allready have the EU if they read it or not. No matter what they do. People will say: "Reeeeee it was different in the EU!!! this is shiiiiiit!
    Skipping several thousand years forward would fix that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Skipping several thousand years forward would fix that issue.
    Id rather go a few thousand years back and get a faithful Revan movie/trilogy/series.

Because they mention stuff, they talk about it(they being the folks doing the movie), some of then are not positive, some include changings from the novel.
    Of course it's going to be different from the books... why is that inherently bad?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Of course it's going to be different from the books... why is that inherently bad?
    When did i say changing from the book is inherently bad?

When did i say changing from the book is inherently bad?
    You literally said "some of them are not positive, some including changes from the novel"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You literally said "some of them are not positive, some including changes from the novel"
    And with just that, with a lack of wisdom, you assumed i meant that changes from the book are inherently bad, instead reaching the obvious conclusion that some changes that they mentioned were bad, miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    Id rather go a few thousand years back and get a faithful Revan movie/trilogy/series.
    I don't want these idiots touching Revan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    I don't want these idiots touching Revan.
    I've got a solution for that; don't watch?