Thread: The UFC Thread

Deleted
    wow, talk about ruining a reputation.

Such a black mark for this sport that's still in it's infancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Infancy? maybe compared to other sports, but it is pretty established, and they will sort out the drug troubles.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Infancy? maybe compared to other sports, but it is pretty established, and they will sort out the drug troubles.
    Mma is still a very new sport. It's not even sanctioned a lot of places. New York being a big one. Drug problems will never go away in sports, ever.

Silva breaking his leg is explained a little better now that we know about the steroids.
    Silva didn't test positive in any other bout other than this one (and a LOT of his fights have been in Vegas under the NSAC) so I'm not really sure what you are getting at? Silva broke his leg because Point A hit Point B and the force snapped his tibia, it had nothing to do with roids. I think the more interesting thing is that he was on a steroid that assists with cutting weight which to my knowledge has never been an issue in the past for him (at least publicly).

It is worth mentioning that these were from their January 9th out-of-competition drug tests (same as Jon Jones positive cocaine test) so I wouldn't hold your breath too much if his post-fight test comes back clean. **I think Nick's was o-o-c as well but I am not 100% sure on that**

Yeah, that's what it is compared to though. The most direct comparison made is Boxing hands down and even there I see a new report every week that a boxer was popped for steroids on my Bleacher Report app. I would say that the UFC overall has done a fairly decent job but to have Silva/Nick fight and to have Jones fight knowing these results before the event is a major black mark on their record for me and I hope the NSAC or another governing body steps in to make sure they understand that having fighters that fail serious drug tests fight just can't happen as it ruins the integrity of the sport and it's also dangerous for their opponent. If Silva was juiced during the fight with Nick that is a serious risk for Nick to go in there and fight him like that.
    Last edited by Novx; 2015-02-04 at 05:33 PM.

Nick failed the post fight test. Not the pre fight from what I was reading. It's not a surprise to anyone that nick failed for Marijuana. I'm surprised Anderson got popped for steroids though, even more surprised it was anabolics. Didn't he fail for 2 different types of PEDs too?

I also read that there was prefight testing in Silva's last 2 fights.

- - - Updated - - -

Statement from Chael on it.

Deleted
    Its like Pride everyones on drugs woohooo.

Here's a pic of Blackhouse's strength and conditioning coach that's circulating the web:

Jon Fitch got busted too at WSOF.

This is actually starting to get out of hand. Jon Jones is counting his blessings because this wave of drug test failures just put him on page 20 of MMA news for that cocaine crap.

MMA fighters have been using steroids for a long time now. I really hope that Dana White cleans it up. It seems that after every card fighters are coming up positive for steroids/TRT.

And yes, Anderson coming up positive is huge disappointment, it reminded me when Hoyce Gracie tested positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    MMA fighters have been using steroids for a long time now. I really hope that Dana White cleans it up. It seems that after every card fighters are coming up positive for steroids/TRT.

And yes, Anderson coming up positive is huge disappointment, it reminded me when Hoyce Gracie tested positive.
    You understand that Dana White isn't the president of MMA, right? Dana White may be the President of the UFC but people overestimate how much influence he really has. Sure, he can kick out Anderson Silva or Jon Jones but all that means is Bellator, WSOF, or another organization will grab him and make millions. The problem is that the sport is still in its infancy and like all sports we have these same issues. Look at the history of boxing and baseball and look how bad it was for those sports 20-30 years ago.

I think there is at least a small chance that Silva had no idea he was juiced and was given something by his trainers without his knowledge considering the shear number of reports coming out of that same camp where all seem to be utterly clueless. No only that but let's be honest, was Diaz really ever considered a threat to Silva (even the returning lesser king version)? Not to start a fight with anyone but Diaz hasn't changed his style, his lifestyle, his training methods, or basically anything in the last 4-5 years and has plateau'd and to think that he can win a fight because he has a unique style is silly. That fight was a tuner for Silva and nobody expected Diaz to win I'm pretty sure, it was a $$ fight (like the CM Punk fight will be).

I think Silva knew exactly what he was doing. I think he's been doing it for awhile tbh. But you are right about Dana White. He is a fight promoter, not an anti-doping expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    You understand that Dana White isn't the president of MMA, right? Dana White may be the President of the UFC but people overestimate how much influence he really has.
    Um... Yea... of course I know that he isnt the president of MMA. Lol. But he has a ton of influence as UFC has the best fighters and most watched MMA events. Hes already bitched out the Nevada commission for having shoddy Judges. Pretty much went all out against TRT/steroids and is trying even further to get better drug testing done on fighters. Sure there are other organizations, ones that maybe only the truly hardcore MMA fans watch. The majority of people that watch MMA events watch UFC. The fighters know this and if they want to make the big $$ they will fall in line and follow the rules of the UFC. In that regard, his influence over the sport is pretty big.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    But you are right about Dana White. He is a fight promoter, not an anti-doping expert.
    I think you highly underestimate Dana White and probably have no idea what hes done to make MMA a legitimate sport in the US. The next step is anti-doping and hes been on a crusade to ban, fine, suspend fighters that use PED. He loves his organization and hes going to do what it takes to keep it a legitimate and respected sport.

No, you have no idea how MMA works. Of course he is powerful. He's the president of the biggest MMA organization that only allows other organizations around until they get too big and he buys them out. How has he been on a crusade? He didn't do shit to Jon Jones until way after the fact the he got busted and people were mocking the UFC for it. Who wouldn't love their sport if they were making that much money doing what he's doing? You think Dana White is the savior of MMA? No. The UFC is $500,000,000 in debt. Why do you think Bellator is still a thing? Because the UFC can't afford to buy them out.

Without the money the Fertittas have funnelled into the UFC, Dana wouldn't even be in his current position. The UFC cost Zuffa 40% of their profits last year and I bet that, behind the scenes, they're not in a favorable position. Now with the drug scandals, and the ongoing injuries to higher profile fights, I doubt it'll be any better this year; the oversaturation doesn't help, either.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2015-02-08 at 11:09 PM.

How has he been on a crusade? He didn't do shit to Jon Jones until way after the fact the he got busted and people were mocking the UFC for it.
    Jon Jones didnt use PEDs and what he tested positive for doesnt strip you of your title/rank by the Nevada State Commission. Im not sure about UFCs money situation but if Reebok is willing to become the sole sponsor of their equipment, Im not sure its as bad as youre saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think Bellator is still a thing? Because the UFC can't afford to buy them out.
    Is Bellator really a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Jon Jones didnt use PEDs and what he tested positive for doesnt strip you of your title/rank by the Nevada State Commission. Im not sure about UFCs money situation but if Reebok is willing to become the sole sponsor of their equipment, Im not sure its as bad as youre saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Bellator really a thing?
    Bellator AKA Professional Wrestling MMA organization

Bellator was built on the idea of a tournament format and it turned into a circus of washed up fighters & WWE-level acting....it's just terrible. I am a fan of MMA but I outright refuse to acknowledge that as a legitimate MMA organization after seeing those Tito Ortiz/Stephan Bonnar fight hype pro wrestling antics (When the fight was announced).That mixed with the fact that their title fights are CO-MAIN EVENTS somehow under fighters like Rampage and Tito.

Jon Jones had suspect test levels, that we didn't really get much clarification on at all. Also, Cocaine is a banned substance. Fighters have been booted from the UFC for less.

Also, who sponsors the UFC doesn't matter at all. Dana has said that the Reebok deal does absolutely nothing for the UFC money wise. All the money from the Reebok deal is supposed to go to the fighters, which I don't believe for a second. You can look up the UFC debt, its not hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    Bellator AKA Professional Wrestling MMA organization

Bellator was built on the idea of a tournament format and it turned into a circus of washed up fighters & WWE-level acting....it's just terrible. I am a fan of MMA but I outright refuse to acknowledge that as a legitimate MMA organization after seeing those Tito Ortiz/Stephan Bonnar fight hype pro wrestling antics (When the fight was announced).That mixed with the fact that their title fights are CO-MAIN EVENTS somehow under fighters like Rampage and Tito.
    I'll certainly agree that Bellator's product these days is pretty cringe worthy, but the UFC has shown a willingness to flirt with freakshow fights itself, if the $$$ is there; James Toney v. Randy Couture proves at least that much.