Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I have meet tanks that can't hold aggro for shit, and tank that won't lose aggro even if you Flare within 3 seconds. All down to the player.
    I would imagine that's more down to the opener if it's within 3 seconds.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I swear this edmorte guy is just trolling for a response.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I don't feel like that. He/she just didn't like the endgame tanking, but did like the leveling.
    3DS FC: 1177 - 7882 - 6112

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Seems more like he got to level 50, qued for a dungeon and probably got grouped with some higher geared/skilled dps and couldn't keep aggro. Only people I've really seen complain about endgame tanking as those who don't watch the aggro bars, or don't blow everything they have to keep threat then wonder why things are on them.

Imo, the aggro system makes more sense in this game than any. If a guy is hitting you for 82934892394 damage, are you really going to keep looking at the guy who semi-loudly goes HEY LOOK AT ME, HEY LOOK AT ME! Maybe if the guy who VERY loudly from the beginning shows himself to be a big threat to you, you'd stay on him, but if not, yea no. One thing I think this game understands and others don't.

Plus, I prefer it more than being able to press your taunt key and have aggro reset or auto-boost you to 100%.

My problem is healers and tanks feeling too similar. Same spell different function syndrome.

But I needz a Ps4 to play it now
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I have a few questions:

1. I am thinking of trying out this game but mostly just really casually (I'll probably play it only until the free month is over).

How is the game solo wise? I know for stuff like story dungeons, I heard you need to group with people (no big deal) but how much content (and story) can be appreciated or done solo?

2. Speaking of that, how much can you get done in 30 days? Like maybe casually playing (3 hours a day)? Can you reach level 50 and get the main story (or whatever the story is until level 50) done in 30 days?

3. Anyone play on JP servers from the US? How is the latency? Is it really noticeable ?

In FFXI, all the servers are in Japan and it is somewhat noticeable (mostly when you have to stop moving to cast a spell, you have to make sure you aren't moving for at least 1 second or else the spell interrupts). I'm probably going to play on US server anyway but I just want to ask.

I current play FFXI still and I really enjoy playing with JP players. I'll probably pick a US server regardless though (but I am curious).

4. On the main site, it says Duty Finder lets you play with others from other servers. Does it pick servers from the same region or is it possible to play on a JP server from an NA server using Duty Finder? I heard something about being able to check/uncheck which language (or regions?) players can play with. Does that mean you can play with servers from different regions or is Duty Finder still locked into your same region (like while you can play with other servers, you can only play with NA server players)?

If I can group with JP players with Duty Finder (while playing on a US server), that'd be neat.

Of course if not, it's no big deal either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazila View Post
    Seems more like he got to level 50, qued for a dungeon and probably got grouped with some higher geared/skilled dps and couldn't keep aggro. Only people I've really seen complain about endgame tanking as those who don't watch the aggro bars, or don't blow everything they have to keep threat then wonder why things are on them.

Imo, the aggro system makes more sense in this game than any. If a guy is hitting you for 82934892394 damage, are you really going to keep looking at the guy who semi-loudly goes HEY LOOK AT ME, HEY LOOK AT ME! Maybe if the guy who VERY loudly from the beginning shows himself to be a big threat to you, you'd stay on him, but if not, yea no. One thing I think this game understands and others don't.

Plus, I prefer it more than being able to press your taunt key and have aggro reset or auto-boost you to 100%.
    Yeah it's gonna be VERY rough gearing my new main...I can see his take. That said he jyst has to wait till he CAN do it rifht and I agree fully I LOVE tanking in this game...I HAVE been called bad for GEAR related reasons...As in full om threat combos single target and not using anything else but weaving in damage boosts and using privoje...

Ahem I was 15 in leveking gear maybe 16 with some diwnleveled and VERY overzealoys dos who pulled for me...Bought some new gear and was better no more issues....Understand we are talkingnpure hate combis.

So yeah people DO underestimate the gear aspect

1. I am thinking of trying out this game but mostly just really casually (I'll probably play it only until the free month is over).

How is the game solo wise? I know for stuff like story dungeons, I heard you need to group with people (no big deal) but how much content (and story) can be appreciated or done solo?

Everything can be done solo, thanks to the duty finder. The things that required organized content would be thing that you, having stated you intend "casual" play, probably have no interest in. Thanks to low level roulettes, queue generally shouldn't be too bad for the dungeons you have to do as part of the story, and the exp bonuses make it worth doing the low level roulette once a day too.

2. Speaking of that, how much can you get done in 30 days? Like maybe casually playing (3 hours a day)? Can you reach level 50 and get the main story (or whatever the story is until level 50) done in 30 days?

I'm not sure how to answer, I guess this is one of those things that really depends on the individual. If you push hard enough/rush you could at least get to max level on your 1st class and finish the original storyline (You'll know you're done as you'll get a credits sequence afterwards. If you just want to say you got to "The end of the game" I'd say consider that you're goal to be able to walk away saying "I beat Final Fantasy 14").
    Patches since then have added extra quests and storyline on at the end, and if you focus on those, I'd imagine you may have a chance to finishing them within a month. IMHO, I don't think it'd be enjoyable to rush though. Take your time and enjoy the story and try out a few other classes , maybe some crafting or gathering, you can even do PVP(Team arena based) starting from level 30.

3. Anyone play on JP servers from the US? How is the latency? Is it really noticeable ?

I do, and for me, (Being in Australia) the latency is SO much better than when I was on a US server. Even just avoiding world mobs "Damage cones" is better. That said, unless you have absolutely insane internet, there will always be times it looks like you're out of something and you still get hit. I hear it because the game goes mostly by the server, not by what you see in the game client.

4. On the main site, it says Duty Finder lets you play with others from other servers. Does it pick servers from the same region or is it possible to play on a JP server from an NA server using Duty Finder? I heard something about being able to check/uncheck which language (or regions?) players can play with. Does that mean you can play with servers from different regions or is Duty Finder still locked into your same region (like while you can play with other servers, you can only play with NA server players)?

As far as I can tell, servers are grouped into "Data centers" and this seems to be region based (IE: There are a few US ones, a few Japanese ones and a few Euro ones). I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the duty finder queues are based within your data center. So for me, I only get people within my data centers, so any players with their language are english would be english players playing on the japanese servers. Pretty sure for language reasons I'd never be mixed in with the US data center servers

If I can group with JP players with Duty Finder (while playing on a US server), that'd be neat.

For reasons stated above, you won't unless you're on a Japanese server. It's not as cool as you'd think, not being able to understand sucks, and even using google translate (Which I have open all the time, lol. The few times I've used it to type in Japanese what I wanted to say seems to be understood. Though when I paste in what the Japanese say, I often get odd results back in english.)

There is an auto translate function which has a bunch of canned phrases that will display in the appropriate language for all who view it (IE: if I auto translate hello, I see it in English, a Japanese would see it in Japanese) but its really limited and you generally can't use it for any meaningful communication.
    Last edited by Icaras; 2014-06-30 at 09:42 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Thanks for the reply Icaras . I'll probably try playing it soon. As for Japanese, I understand a bit and can also speak a bit too (I still play FFXI and usually during JP hours). I had fun playing with JPs in FFXI and was just curious .

Edit - Thanks for the reply too SodiumChloride .
    Last edited by Zerg217; 2014-06-30 at 01:07 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerg217 View Post

As solo friendly as you can get. The only grouping up you need to do can be done via Duty Finder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg217 View Post
    Maybe, depending on how efficient you are. 30 days, IMHO, would be the avg for getting to 50 while clearing the main story quest line.

Maybe, depending on how efficient you are. 30 days, IMHO, would be the avg for getting to 50 while clearing the main story quest line.
    I'd argue that at 3 hours a day you could get one class to 50 within 1.5 weeks and get most of the story done, up to Praetorium anyway. It doesn't take THAT long to level especially with lots quests being available.

Within a month you could have the whole story finished and be relatively decently geared and be working on your first Relic. This is assuming you aren't pausing to craft or try other jobs (aside from getting your main jobs "sub" class to 15) and know the game mechanics and are maximizing your leveling time..... which honestly doesn't sound fun to me.

Take your time and enjoy the game, it's a beautiful and well designed game with lots of things to do and see. No need to rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah it's gonna be VERY rough gearing my new main...I can see his take. That said he jyst has to wait till he CAN do it rifht and I agree fully I LOVE tanking in this game...I HAVE been called bad for GEAR related reasons...As in full om threat combos single target and not using anything else but weaving in damage boosts and using privoje...

Ahem I was 15 in leveking gear maybe 16 with some diwnleveled and VERY overzealoys dos who pulled for me...Bought some new gear and was better no more issues....Understand we are talkingnpure hate combis.

So yeah people DO underestimate the gear aspect
    Yea, that's one reason that I don't think I could ever base the end game itself over how hard it was too tank. The mechanics aren't broken by any means, they're actually pretty correct to how it should be. Saddly though, some people aren't prepared to do that potentially tiresome dungeon/trial grind, all while knowing that for a good portion of the beginning that you're going to be called shitty or you'll have DPS who simply put out more threat than is literally possible for your character. If anything, you could call it a grouping problem, but I don't see them grouping say ilevel 49-53's, 54's-57's, 58's-60's, and 60+'s together for dunegons cause it'd probably cause harsh wait times again.

Just something you kind of gotta get used too. /shrug

Edit: Imo, if you do nothing but level, quests, fates when you see them, and do the dungeons as needed you can def get to 50 within 30 days.

Yea, that's one reason that I don't think I could ever base the end game itself over how hard it was too tank. The mechanics aren't broken by any means, they're actually pretty correct to how it should be. Saddly though, some people aren't prepared to do that potentially tiresome dungeon/trial grind, all while knowing that for a good portion of the beginning that you're going to be called shitty or you'll have DPS who simply put out more threat than is literally possible for your character. If anything, you could call it a grouping problem, but I don't see them grouping say ilevel 49-53's, 54's-57's, 58's-60's, and 60+'s together for dunegons cause it'd probably cause harsh wait times again.

Just something you kind of gotta get used too. /shrug

Edit: Imo, if you do nothing but level, quests, fates when you see them, and do the dungeons as needed you can def get to 50 within 30 days.

I main a dps, but I do alot of tanking, so i can relate from both sides. When I see a tank who has bad gear, and asks dps to be mindful, I usually tell him I won't simmer my DPS down. And it's not to be an asshole believe it or not. I'm not going to go out and purposefully get myself killed, but I've always believed the challenge of the game is what makes a game worth playing. And I like to give the tank a bit of work. Plus it helps them in the long run on how to hold higher threat, and gets them working with some better practices. Basically if a really badly geared tank can learn to hold threat against a much higher geared DPS (which is very doable given the practice and time) image how good he can become with much better gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that's super true. I main heal and side DPS. Generally if I know a tank is lower geared, I bomb him for a couple of pulls and then let him know to mark stuff if he's not marking anything and the dps is stupid. I don't mind a healing challenge at all, so I don't complain much. Usually it's the DPS that complain that they're getting attacked and "they don't know why" when they blew everything on a single mob within 2 seconds of it being hit by the tank. q q

I guess my point for the guy who quit over tanking... with the right people and mindset you can generally push through it~
    Last edited by Tazila; 2014-06-30 at 11:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that's super true. I main heal and side DPS. Generally if I know a tank is lower geared, I bomb him for a couple of pulls and then let him know to mark stuff if he's not marking anything and the dps is stupid. I don't mind a healing challenge at all, so I don't complain much. Usually it's the DPS that complain that they're getting attacked and "they don't know why" when they blew everything on a single mob within 2 seconds of it being hit by the tank. q q

I guess my point for the guy who quit over tanking... with the right people and mindset you can generally push through it~
    Yeah my furst run at 50 was as a WAR in AK back when it was the quest.

I had no relic hell I had at BEST a GC weapon and my BASIC AF...I lost threat(a couple zenith or rather +1) other relic and more.

I worked I tried hard and lost threat(They were understandong and I even held it a bit) Now this was 2.0 sooo yeah.

And I kept working main swapping now but yeah it's gonna a pita to deal with at first. But I like tanking I love protecting the group and so on and if I have to work at it I will.

Aggro mechanics are wonky as shit. During progression t4, the mobs all have slow turning rates, and if you lost aggro on a Knight or Soldier, then they'd take 20 years to respond to aggro. Mobs in this game don't behave like others, in that once they change targets, they'll execute their action REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. Even if you 'Voke and hot combo'd, they will still run to their new(old) target, do a melee (and a headspin ofc), then run back to you. In the time it takes them to do that with their slow rotational speed, you could lose aggro because they're pinballing back and forth, and they run back to the mage and repeat the process. God forbid you lost aggro on a Dreadnought. Since this was progression, this was before the patch where they buffed threat generation to the stratosphere and it was actually a huge issue.

Unfortunately, like WoW pre-Vengeance, they're going to have to keep adjusting aggro modifiers because tanking with mods instead of scaling damage is dumb. DPSers will usually always outscale the threatgen of a tank due to basic mechanics (DPSers increase by almost every stat on their gear, whereas tanks usually only get STR and a handful of incidental secondaries). It's still able to be done, but it's less of a skillcheck and more of being held back by a threat cap.

I honestly hope they never fix the Infini-Flare rotation, because it always warmed my heart to rip aggro off 20 mobs in Brayflox HM off a WAR and get wasted in less than a second, and makes me hope they introduce a way for tank threat to scale with dpsers.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Usually it's the DPS that complain that they're getting attacked and "they don't know why" when they blew everything on a single mob within 2 seconds of it being hit by the tank.
    I must be lucky, but my experience with DPS players has been largely positive. I have, however, had to pick up the slack for overzealous tanks who feel the need to pull almost everything in sight. Even with the healer and DPS showing restraint this can become very dangerous and messy with some nasty AoE combos that wipe out a player in a matter of seconds.

I get that people want to rush through dungeons as swiftly as possible but such a method can be rather frustrating to endure. Especially as a DPS with little in the way of AoE.

Still trying to get used to the gamepad. Movement and camera is great, and selecting skills is okay (only lvl 10 though). Main issue is targeting in combat.

Also, for some reason with the gamepad enable I can hover my mouse and see the stats of gear. I never know what the stats are for quest rewards unless i go back to mouse mode.
    3DS FC: 1177 - 7882 - 6112

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    Aggro mechanics are wonky as shit. During progression t4, the mobs all have slow turning rates, and if you lost aggro on a Knight or Soldier, then they'd take 20 years to respond to aggro. Mobs in this game don't behave like others, in that once they change targets, they'll execute their action REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. Even if you 'Voke and hot combo'd, they will still run to their new(old) target, do a melee (and a headspin ofc), then run back to you. In the time it takes them to do that with their slow rotational speed, you could lose aggro because they're pinballing back and forth, and they run back to the mage and repeat the process. God forbid you lost aggro on a Dreadnought. Since this was progression, this was before the patch where they buffed threat generation to the stratosphere and it was actually a huge issue.

Unfortunately, like WoW pre-Vengeance, they're going to have to keep adjusting aggro modifiers because tanking with mods instead of scaling damage is dumb. DPSers will usually always outscale the threatgen of a tank due to basic mechanics (DPSers increase by almost every stat on their gear, whereas tanks usually only get STR and a handful of incidental secondaries). It's still able to be done, but it's less of a skillcheck and more of being held back by a threat cap.

I honestly hope they never fix the Infini-Flare rotation, because it always warmed my heart to rip aggro off 20 mobs in Brayflox HM off a WAR and get wasted in less than a second, and makes me hope they introduce a way for tank threat to scale with dpsers.
    Make threat gen scale with STR?

Also what is this infinite-flare rotation? I normally do F3->F2->F2->Flare->transpose ... repeat.

Edit: Never mind, I figured out the Flare thing. Man, this is so going to get patch next week. LOL.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2014-07-01 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of let this game drop after my guild broke up but I'm finally getting the drive to play again. I suppose the best thing to do to start up again is gear up from the Crystal Tower?