i leveled up my gatherer to 60 over the weekend and i didn't mind the scrip system too much. just had to fly to a node every 36 min then go back to netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    They ve made it that way so that people who want to solely focus on gathering/crafting can get a feel that what they are doing is in real time and is important. They gotta get their own longterm and meaningful late game after all
    Do you REALLY believe that there are people out there that view GATHERING in isolated form as a viable endgame? Come on.
    I can buy master crafting as endgame, but it is so ridiculously easy to level a gatherer...

I don't even have any use for the blue gatherer gear because I can gather the folklore stuff with the i180weapon + a few melds @ 38% HQ.

I've managed to get all the folklore nodes unlocked just by taking a peek at my clock when I wasn't doing anything.
    I'm always doing something when at my computer. So I have to consciously interrupt what I am doing when ffxivclock.com yells at me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Do you REALLY believe that there are people out there that view GATHERING in isolated form as a viable endgame? Come on.
    I can buy master crafting as endgame, but it is so ridiculously easy to level a gatherer...

I don't even have any use for the blue gatherer gear because I can gather the folklore stuff with the i180weapon + a few melds @ 38% HQ.

I'm always doing something when at my computer. So I have to consciously interrupt what I am doing when ffxivclock.com yells at me.
    I don't believe, I KNOW people who do... like wtf why does it seem weird to you? They usually do crafting as well as these 2 normally go together but why would you say it like that?
    There are obviously people who like that stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe, I KNOW people who do... like wtf why does it seem weird to you? They usually do crafting as well as these 2 normally go together but why would you say it like that?
    There are obviously people who like that stuff.
    Gathering is used to support Crafting. There is no inherent need for any "gatherer" endgame, with the exception of the mostly optional capital fish, because nobody gathers exclusively and calls hitting mining nodes / trees his "MMO Endgame".

And if there are:
    If hitting a mining node every half hour = entertainment, these people must have REALLY low standards.

like wtf why does it seem weird to you?
    Because gathering is more menial/braindead and boring than being a conveyor belt factory worker?
    It never ceases to amaze me with how much lame BS people put up with in MMOs.

Gathering is a form of endgame bUT it's not the endgame no. I know people who just love doing it and selling for profit

Personally I love it in small spurts. It's more interesting and interactive than any other mmo gathering.

I remember the days of runescape where I just sat at the willow tree farming spot all day
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Yeah, I have someone on my friends list that gets 1 class to 60 for MSQ but otherwise they're a crafter. Everything maxed as soon as possible and working for the adventurers needing new gear for their armor, relics, etc. Very reasonable and often free if you supply mats. Good guy, that one.

Now that I've gotten into the groove of it, I like the blue/red scrip endgame for crafting, but I agree that being chained to the windows of opportunity is really discouraging for the gathering side. And I wonder what they'll put in 3.3 or 3.4 as the Heavensward Ixal equivalent to help people catch up who got behind on crafting. Or perhaps they'll just nerf the number of scrips required for things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Personally I love it in small spurts. It's more interesting and interactive than any other mmo gathering.
    Collectible gathering for sure.
    But the normal farming for mats .. not really. Sure you press your 2 buttons for extra chance at Folklore-HQ (because NQ mats are worthless) but that's that.

The remaining 98% of your time you stand around, twiddling your thumb waiting for your node to respawn.

And don't you dare do a dungeon in that time. You might miss your window and waste another half an hour until you are graced with the ability to hit that node again!

It's a retarded concept. I understand that they have to limit it somehow, so the mats stay scarce but giving the player a 5 minute window of opportunity is just idiotic.

It would be much better QoL if nodes trigger a cooldown similar to treasure maps.
    IE: node is always there, but you can only gather from it every hour or so.

My demands are as follows SE:

• More storage please

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    My demands are as follows SE:

• More storage please
    Storage is fine.

What we need is a diablo style Projection system, so old gearz doesn't clutter everything.

Storage is fine.

What we need is a diablo style Projection system, so old gearz doesn't clutter everything.
    I could see them doing something of that sort and just needing the proper number of glamour prisms to activate your set, but not needing the gear itself in inventory. I'd even be happy if they made it where you had to get the item and choose to put it into your system rather than everything you touch is put in there. (I'd be happy to keep my own to a minimum of things I like while others can get a gajillion of 'em).

I know that's probably not a popular opinion, but I actually like there being a small element of crafters being able to continue to provide for the community in a way with glamours. I'd actually not want the prisms to be completely eliminated. But again, I'm sure I'm in the tiniest minority with that opinion.

That all said...I'm still rocking only 2 retainers

so just confused, what was the reason astrologian, mech and drk don't require 2 base classes? I just find it strange that they actually take from 2 base classes but they are not required to be one.

Deleted
    Gathering is used to support Crafting. There is no inherent need for any "gatherer" endgame, with the exception of the mostly optional capital fish, because nobody gathers exclusively and calls hitting mining nodes / trees his "MMO Endgame".

And if there are:
    If hitting a mining node every half hour = entertainment, these people must have REALLY low standards.

Because gathering is more menial/braindead and boring than being a conveyor belt factory worker?
    It never ceases to amaze me with how much lame BS people put up with in MMOs.
    Alright and I respect that this is your opinion. And here I am telling you I have people in my FC who exclusively gather/craft and find it fun.
    Its ok that you dont like it or find it boring. Other people like that mindless feel because it makes them relax.

"I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

People like different shit. Weird, true, but tastes vary from person to person. But Granyala, it is not your place to judge and make blanket statements based on your likes and dislikes. There are people whose endgame is crafting/gathering. Personally, I would love it if there was simply a 12 eorzean hour cool-down on nodes like that. Even if they tied specific nodes together to prevent double dipping it would be a huge QoL improvement. But the way you address the idea of someone liking it, is kind of shameful.

I feel like people who love and play runescape will also love gathering and crafting in this game.

Alright and I respect that this is your opinion. And here I am telling you I have people in my FC who exclusively gather/craft and find it fun.
    Its ok that you dont like it or find it boring. Other people like that mindless feel because it makes them relax.
    I'm with you here, i know people in the game, even inn my FC who's entire endgame is around crafting and gathering.
    They don't bother with a combat jobs at all, unless it's for something absolutely necessary.

I can't tell you why, but these people just absolutely love it, their entire approach to the game focus around it.
    Completely different from WoW for example where professions are nothing but a way to get some gold on the side at best.

anyone got links to a leveling guide for alt classes/jobs? I'm guessing it's mainly fates and leves, anything else? Best locations and such?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...9/blog/190843/

don't let the date fool you, it is mostly still relevant. depending ons erver population, fate leveling made me a bust for you.

Of course healer or tank it is always best to simply spam dungeons. DPS always been in a dungeon queue. 50-60 there are other options available like hunts to boost some exp gain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I know that's probably not a popular opinion, but I actually like there being a small element of crafters being able to continue to provide for the community in a way with glamours. I'd actually not want the prisms to be completely eliminated. But again, I'm sure I'm in the tiniest minority with that opinion.

That all said...I'm still rocking only 2 retainers
    So am I.
    Prisms should stay, but since they all need the same materials they should be reduced to one rank of prism per crafter.
    It's idiotic to have 5 different ranks that need the same mats and perform exactly the same function just for different item levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris
    But the way you address the idea of someone liking it, is kind of shameful.
    Why? Because I am pointing out that if gathering is your endgame in isolated form you spend 95% of your game with inactivity and hence doubt that people EXCLUSIVELY gather and that gathering needs a form of endgame in itself?

That is simply logic, because my original point was not "do people like it or not" it was Sahlamula defending the current 5 minute timing bullshit with "that makes it a relevant endgame". And you people already agreed with me because every one of you mentioned CRAFTING in conjunction with gathering when I was talking about gathering in isolated form.

And I agree with both of you that crafting AND gathering combined can be entertaining.

Imho the node thing could be fixed very easily:
    SE already tracks whether you mined your node within your 5 minute time window. They need to extend that.
    Keep the respawn timers as they are now and restrict the player to gathering 2 folklore nodes per eorzean hour, so people can't gather all of them every hour they are up. Right now 2 are already possible within the 5m window, done it myself.

In order to compensate for no longer missing the window of opportunity and more people mining because QoL has been massively improved, crafts should need 33%-50% more (non red-script) materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus
    I can't tell you why, but these people just absolutely love it
    Imho gathering sucks as it is completely braindead AND you spend 95% of your playtime being inactive because there are only a handful of relevant materials to gather. But you do what you have to do in order to get the mats, since it's faceroll easy and stuff is damn expensive in the AH.

Even collectible gathering is reduced to 2 fixed rotation with no thought process at all. :/

Crafting on the other hand can be a lot of fun. Esp when you have to figure out rotations in order to maximize quality and reliability at different gear/HP levels. Or if you made a mistake and fire up the simulator in order to determine whether you can still salvage it. ^^

I prefer acquiring rare materials through chance rather than it being based around timed nodes. It's just not fun for me to go to a specific area at a set time to gather stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then, favor gathering should be right up your alley. *scnr*