The whole 3 attack combo is fine save for the fact it eats up a lot of hotkey space. Pretty sure they have the whole "enmity combo + dps combo" setup for familiarity's sake between the three tanks (so that someone swapping from one to another isn't lost). Not to mention to have some semblance of "balance" between the tanks (aka imagine how useless one of the tanks would be without such a combo).

A warrior who does a baseball bat swing and then draws back to resume the same stance and repeat that swing, and then draws back to the stance for the same swing isn't going to be a dead warrior rather fast.

Combos make sense for combat, though it would be cool if they made the animations flow where they look more like one maneuver leads to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    The whole 3 attack combo is fine save for the fact it eats up a lot of hotkey space. Pretty sure they have the whole "enmity combo + dps combo" setup for familiarity's sake between the three tanks (so that someone swapping from one to another isn't lost). Not to mention to have some semblance of "balance" between the tanks (aka imagine how useless one of the tanks would be without such a combo).
    I always wonder at this point if its actually now a worse experience to use keyboard and mouse with the traditional hotbars, the Dualshock 4 crossbar system is so easy to use and a basic 1-12 hotbar seems so strict in comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I always wonder at this point if its actually now a worse experience to use keyboard and mouse with the traditional hotbars, the Dualshock 4 crossbar system is so easy to use and a basic 1-12 hotbar seems so strict in comparison.
    If FFXIV played like TERA, sure, but it plays more like WoW and I can't stand using controllers in tab-target MMOs as I'm much faster using my mech keyboard and MMO mouse with them.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Haven't played this game using a controller (using keyboard + a Razer Naga), and given what I use, it's kinda hard to fathom how it would work on a controller...and I'm not about to go plunk down ~$400 USD on a PS4 + another copy of the game to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    If FFXIV played like TERA, sure, but it plays more like WoW and I can't stand using controllers in tab-target MMOs as I'm much faster using my mech keyboard and MMO mouse with them.
    Honestly i could not go back at this point. Left and right to tab target enemies and up and down for party members on the d pad made keyboard and mouse feel like a chore for me in comparison. Still keep a keyboard for chat but it feels as natural as any other post SNES FF game i guess

Haven't played this game using a controller (using keyboard + a Razer Naga), and given what I use, it's kinda hard to fathom how it would work on a controller...and I'm not about to go plunk down ~$400 USD on a PS4 + another copy of the game to find out.
    You can plug Xbox contollers into a USB slot and they, should, just work. PS4 controlers are a little bit tricker, but you can get them to work with your PC without the need to buy a PS4 in the process.

It's still an expense if you don't already have one of course, but not even close to $400.

honestly its worth it for the controller alone since its a default on both platforms, cheaper than a naga and will last a damn sight longer honestly.

basically left stick is movement right is camera, L1 plus stick is scroll camera, R1 plus stick is move and place markers and spells, d pad tab targets party and enemies and hold L2 for face buttons to do left hotbar R2 for right one and R1 plsu any button cycles to another hotbar and the touchpad is a trackpad
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-02-20 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    You can plug Xbox contollers into a USB slot and they, should, just work. PS4 controlers are a little bit tricker, but you can get them to work with your PC without the need to buy a PS4 in the process.

It's still an expense if you don't already have one of course, but not even close to $400.
    Yeah I was thinking of it in the vein of buying a PS4 plus the game vs. simply slapping a controller on my PC (which I should do, anyhow; would let me play fighting games that way, to name one example of games much better suited to controllers).

I believe I've seen the name DS4Windows floated around for getting PS4 controllers to work on PC.

basically left stick is movement right is camera, L1 plus stick is scroll camera, R1 plus stick is move and place markers and spells, d pad tab targets party and enemies and hold L2 for face buttons to do left hotbar R2 for right one and R1 plsu any button cycles to another hotbar and the touchpad is a trackpad
    So, basically, you need to play using the claw grip ? I'll stay with my keyboard and my mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    So, basically, you need to play using the claw grip ? I'll stay with my keyboard and my mouse.
    Not really, thumbs and index fingers thats it. the cooldown isnt having you go full claw like monhun or running and using the camera in bloodborne.

It's definitely a "don't knock it until you've tried it thing" concerning controller vs. KB/M for this game, or at least that's the approach I have about it.

Fascinating how with this game, controllers can and do work, whereas 5 or so years ago I can vividly remember not wanting WoW to "dumb down the game so it can be played with a controller", or something to that effect. Safe to say that joke's on me now, in more ways than one.

I do wonder, though, how many people who've cleared all the savage raids have done so playing the game via controller vs. KB/M (doesn't even have to be a PC/Playstation split).

One thing I was thinking off is to have combo buttons become context-sensitive, and change depending on the previous button. Like you could have Combo Button A, B, C. At the start, A, B, C show the available stage 1 abilities, then they flip to the available stage 2 abilities, then to the available stage 3 ones.

My main is a PLD, so the combos are:

1. Fast Blade - Savage Blade - Rage of Halone
    2. Fast Blade - Savage Blade - Royal Authority
    3. Fast Blade - Riot Blade - Goring Blade

So you could compress that down to 2 buttons.

Stage 1: A - Fast Blade. B - empty
    Stage 2: A - Savage Blade, B - Riot Blade
    Stage 2A: A - Rage of Halone, B - Royal Authority
    Stage 2B - A - Goring Blade, empty

So combo 1 is AAA, combo 2 is AAB, combo 3 is ABA. With 2 combo buttons, there's room for 8 3-button combos, with 3 combo buttons there's room for 27.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found out that while theres a steep learning curve (because you're so used to KB+M on these games) it plays surprisingly well on a controller. A few years ago i'd think it would be impossible to play a tab target MMO on a console. Boy was i wrong.
    Maybe we'll see more on consoles one of these days. We already have FF14, ESO , Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, DCUO, and Skyforge is coming out on the ps4 in march. Anyways , the combat adjustments and new UI will improve controller gameplay even further. Im looking foward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    One thing I was thinking off is to have combo buttons become context-sensitive, and change depending on the previous button. Like you could have Combo Button A, B, C. At the start, A, B, C show the available stage 1 abilities, then they flip to the available stage 2 abilities, then to the available stage 3 ones.

My main is a PLD, so the combos are:

1. Fast Blade - Savage Blade - Rage of Halone
    2. Fast Blade - Savage Blade - Royal Authority
    3. Fast Blade - Riot Blade - Goring Blade

So you could compress that down to 2 buttons.

Stage 1: A - Fast Blade. B - empty
    Stage 2: A - Savage Blade, B - Riot Blade
    Stage 2A: A - Rage of Halone, B - Royal Authority
    Stage 2B - A - Goring Blade, empty

So combo 1 is AAA, combo 2 is AAB, combo 3 is ABA. With 2 combo buttons, there's room for 8 3-button combos, with 3 combo buttons there's room for 27.
    It would be a little less newbie friendly that way, but that would clean up key/button binds fairly well, and let's be honest...would we really need anything more than 8 different 3 button combos?

This is a better solution that what I had in mind specifically for PLD:

- Keep Rage of Halone combo as is
    - Remove Goring Blade from comboing off Riot Blade
    - Make Royal Authority combo off Riot Blade instead
    - Goring Blade basically becomes PLD equivalent of Fracture/Scourge

Rather boring way to do it, but it also opens up some other interesting possibilities with using MP for offensive support and/or damage dealing, since a OT PLD (ok, that's a laughable thing in current context) would be constantly replenishing MP. Could have it where Shield Swipe is always available, but with the 15 second CD and with a MP cost. Blocking an attack still nets the proc effect (when MT), which would remove the MP cost.

That all being said, both your ideas and mine could be...a combo.

I'll see myself out for a bit.

It's definitely a "don't knock it until you've tried it thing" concerning controller vs. KB/M for this game, or at least that's the approach I have about it.

Fascinating how with this game, controllers can and do work, whereas 5 or so years ago I can vividly remember not wanting WoW to "dumb down the game so it can be played with a controller", or something to that effect. Safe to say that joke's on me now, in more ways than one.

I do wonder, though, how many people who've cleared all the savage raids have done so playing the game via controller vs. KB/M (doesn't even have to be a PC/Playstation split).
    Well to be fair to you or a long time pc to consle ports for rpgs simply didnt bother with a proper interface and just had some shitty "pause the game and scroll through a bunch of shit to select a move" or massively dumbed down enemy ai to compensate like Dragon Age did.

But i guess with almost 15 years experience with FFXI and the different styles of FF games in general it wasnt that hard to pick and choose elements from games like X,XI and XII and see what sticks.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, forgot i had half a level left on DRG to hit 60 and one booster leveling roullete dinged me, so just one PLD level to go. Thank god i've got another relic to farm fates for now

Deleted
    is it just me or does the cloth on the samurai look more 'flowy' than it is in-game right now?

I know it's just an anecdote, but my static has cleared all content, and I think our DRG and SCH play on PS4, and our WHM/AST plays on PC with a controller.

Not quite half our raid team, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I know it's just an anecdote, but my static has cleared all content, and I think our DRG and SCH play on PS4, and our WHM/AST plays on PC with a controller.

Not quite half our raid team, but close.
    Well from the last census the player base is around 40% PS4 and 5% PS3, add in PS4 controllers work fine in the PC client too and i would not be surprised its like 60/40

Well from the last census the player base is around 40% PS4 and 5% PS3, add in PS4 controllers work fine in the PC client too and i would not be surprised its like 60/40
    I really wish I could get into it - and I've tried using my Xbox one controller on my PC, but I'm far too used to my keyboard and naga set up. I do sometimes switch over and gather with a controller though. It doesn't take much learning to mash a handful of buttons.

The way they have done the expanded hotbars is great though. Had this been my first MMO, I probably would have gravitated to the controller more because it was done with care and thought.