Swede here, and Ping going from 135 to 180.. not preferable but I think i can manage to live with that. Aint gettin of of Balmung, too many friends there.
    Last edited by The Offbeat; 2017-05-16 at 09:42 PM.

All this talk about buying models/figurines and whatnot, and here I am recalling the idea of buying one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Maybe there's still a bit more in store for us with the Stormblood cinematic. After all, the trailer is only 4 minutes and doesn't include much of Revolutions already where the full cinematic likely will.
    The CGI doesn't include any of Revolutions, so it's probably going to be like it was for Heavensward - Dragonsong is the main theme of the overall thing, but the song played in the CGI isn't the main theme (instead being another important song titled Heavensward, which is played in full as part of the CGI trailer, it's really only 4 minutes 19 seconds long).

In this case, whatever they title the song for the CGI Stormblood trailer (spitballing here, but I'm guessing it will either be named Stormblood or Storm of Blood), it will be a completely different song than the actual main theme (which doesn't feature at all in the CGI trailer) and is the entire thing.

Answers, so far, has been fairly unique - it doesn't actually feature in the original 1.0 CGI, but was a feature in numerous places in-game and became more prevalent the closer the story got to the Calamity, THEN became part of the longer CGI trailer for ARR...

Which actually features a medley of several songs as part of the second half - there's at least Return of a Hero in there, along with a bit of Corpse Hall (Odin's theme), and finishes out with A Dawn of a New Era. There's probably a couple more in there I missed as well.

The Sacremento change is honestly ridiculous if its true. It's going from one extreme to the other? I really don't get it. Why not move to something like Michigan?

Did a trace test too.. going from 14 MS to 96 MS if it's true so heh. I mean it's not bad but it's like what 7x the MS. Yes I understand the game is meant to be playable at higher pings but it still makes it were I have to take extra precaution to move out of things.

...or maybe I'm just a spoiled brat having been so close to the servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    The Sacremento change is honestly ridiculous if its true. It's going from one extreme to the other? I really don't get it. Why not move to something like Michigan?

Did a trace test too.. going from 14 MS to 96 MS if it's true so heh. I mean it's not bad but it's like what 7x the MS. Yes I understand the game is meant to be playable at higher pings but it still makes it were I have to take extra precaution to move out of things.

...or maybe I'm just a spoiled brat having been so close to the servers.
    To be blunt, unless the datacenter was literally behind your house (iirc you stated you were ~1 hour drive from Montreal), you were going to be facing higher ping.

Hoping my ping doesn't jump by too much. If it's over 100 ms by a significant margin, I would be better off in the EU datacenter...lol.

I played on Hyjal US last time I played and raided on WoW (a server in one of their west coast DCs) and had zero issues playing on there, even though my ping was higher than what I had on my previous server (from 50-60 ms to 80-90, from what I recall). I think I should be fine, but I'm not everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    I'm finally done doing all 280+ WSQs and can finally start Heavensward. Anyone know if SB will require all of Heavensward's 150+ WSQ?

Also wondering is PoTD is the best still for leveling.
    Yes, SB requires HW done. POTD is fastest for DPS by far, and after dailies it is for Tank and heals as well. If you want to use your dailies for lore/scripts on a lv 60 job I don't blame you.

To be blunt, unless the datacenter was literally behind your house (iirc you stated you were ~1 hour drive from Montreal), you were going to be facing higher ping.

Hoping my ping doesn't jump by too much. If it's over 100 ms by a significant margin, I would be better off in the EU datacenter...lol.

I played on Hyjal US last time I played and raided on WoW (a server in one of their west coast DCs) and had zero issues playing on there, even though my ping was higher than what I had on my previous server (from 50-60 ms to 80-90, from what I recall). I think I should be fine, but I'm not everyone.
    I don't mind higher ping and was expecting it but I also wasn't expecting such a huge difference... was thinking more along the lines of 40-50MS. Again not unplayable in any sense but still raises questions about the move unless the data shows that most of their playerbase is on the west coast.

What I am worried about is my friends who live in Nova Scotia. 5800 KM distance which is basically the distance from Berlin to Montreal. Honestly depending how the nodes handle it we might have to play on European servers because of that.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-05-16 at 11:21 PM.

I don't mind higher ping and was expecting it but I also wasn't expecting such a huge difference... was thinking more along the lines of 40-50MS. Again not unplayable in any sense but still raises questions about the move unless the data shows that most of their playerbase is on the west coast.

What I am worried about is my friends who live in Nova Scotia. 5800 KM distance which is basically the distance from Berlin to Montreal. Honestly depending how the nodes handle it we might have to play on European servers because of that.
    It may very well boil down to that.

Just did a tracert to neolobby02.ffxiv.com and the final known hop is xe-0-1-0-1-1.r00.scrmca02.us.ce.gin.ntt.net. 109 ms response time...but that's from my work PC, and the route taken is around the ass to get to the elbow (down through FL, up to VA, then over to CA). Based on what I know of my home ISP, tracert from home should go right up to the VA site (NTT appears to be the backbone vendor now instead of it being Level 3...so at least there is that silver lining).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It may very well boil down to that.

Just did a tracert to neolobby02.ffxiv.com and the final known hop is xe-0-1-0-1-1.r00.scrmca02.us.ce.gin.ntt.net. 109 ms response time...but that's from my work PC, and the route taken is around the ass to get to the elbow (down through FL, up to VA, then over to CA). Based on what I know of my home ISP, tracert from home should go right up to the VA site (NTT appears to be the backbone vendor now instead of it being Level 3...so at least there is that silver lining).
    My friend got 139 but a lot of that was time outs so who knows yet. He does play a DRG though and if that's the ping he'll get then good luck to him playing that class at a high level.

Either way we should know in a few hours if they're on time.

edit: Mine goes from Toronto to NYC which is even further east before going to the west coast in Seattle and then down to San Jose before finally at Sacramento. Rofl.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-05-16 at 11:53 PM.

Deleted
    Was leveling Ninja up to 60 as a goal before Stormblood would hit, 58 now and considering making it main class instead of Bard.
    Gah i am bad at making decisions >.<"

Possible they were looking for a specific place/company/offering...first thing that comes to mind as to why it wouldn't just be centrally located.

On the official forums there were some talking about a noticeable drop in the percentage of packet loss with the new location compared to the old (one mentioned going from 30% packet loss to 0% when testing). I'm by no means a network expert, but wouldn't an improvement like that result in more stability overall and other improvements, even as ping itself goes up?

That being said, I'm gonna miss my 25ms from the East Coast, cause it's testing as low 90ms and as high as 104ms now.

More of a direct route from my home connection, but only a minimal improvement...coming in at low-mid 90s ms to the last hop in Sacramento. Bit of a bigger jump than I was anticipating (70ms-90ms), but should still be decently playable. As mentioned before, I played WoW at similar ping...hell, I played WoW on dial up back when it first came out (600-ish ms ping, if anyone is wondering ).

how exactly can you ping the new data centers?

nvm found it on the forums
    Last edited by threads; 2017-05-17 at 03:42 AM.

If you're in the u.s the server relocation won't affect you (assuming the servers aren't dollar store quality again). The distance wasn't the issue for most people. I've pinged to the aether data center before and it was around 10 ms and I can tell you it definitely did not feel like 10 ms at all. I've played on west coast servers on wow with over 100 ms and it was better than my experience with ff14.

yea i think it's around the same as it was for me in central US. just gonna wait and see how it feels in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    And $2,000 for an alto flute? That sounds like a pretty amazing deal honestly. Most of the ones I've ever seen are at LEAST $5,000, even used with professional models going for ~$7500.
    Professional level instruments, absolutely. The Yamaha one I'd actually want is around 5.7K. ._.
    Since I only play for a year now, it doesn't make much sense to drop that kind of money just yet, so I am going for an entry level model of Peal/Jupiter b/c maintenance cost of a pro level instrument would be unnecessarily high at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Hobbies can be expensive as fuck.
    Indeed.
    I always cringe when people moan about their WoW sub. I pay 40€ in order to get the privilege to spend one hour/month with a private teacher.
    Financing our hobbies is why we go to work though. Got to motivate us with something to endure the daily grind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Granyala: Who spends $200 on a video game?!
    Faroth: Pfsh, I've spent more on less useful things! *throws money at the video game*
    Granyala: >_<#

How do @Granyala and I get a manga made? We need that sweet anime adaptation money (that I will then spend on video game collector's editions).
    Man and I can't even blame this kind of insanity on you being a hunter. Hmm.

I'll reserve my judgement for when the servers are actually up but I won't lie - as an EU player on Balmung, a US server, I'm more than a little worried. I just hope the developers are willing to provide a proper transfer option for EU players stuck on US servers if things are going to be notably worse. They should be free and there should be no gil limit (or at least something higher like 50 million rather than the 1 million limit at present). Like others, I didn't move over when the EU servers became a thing because by that point I had already made connections and friendships. Plus I wanted to play on the unofficial RP server.

wow looks like they're actually locking transfers and char creation on gilgamesh and balmung

Talked like 6-7 friends from WoW into trying XIV, got them super hyped for Stormblood, got them all taught on lore and classes, got them to get ready when the servers came up...

And Balmung is immediately locked despite having just come up from maintenance with new server software so none of them can roll toons and play with us

Thanks Square

10+ Year Old Account

My normal xmog for my BLM, but thinking of carrying it over for my RDM.

Thoughts?
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.