I went through about two hundred lockboxes before giving up on opening the rest. Hopefully they make improvements to the system moving forward - in many ways, FFXIV is quite behind in terms of quality of life features. The materia isn't bad - especially since it can be thrown at Mutamix for a chance to morph into high end crafter/gatherer materia will sells for a pretty penny. Yet ironically although they reduced the amount of fireworks they, at least, stack - gear doesn't.

...and the gear is going for near enough vendor price on Balmung. >_>

I'll be throwing excess orchestrion rolls and Eureka minions in my retainers for now. When Eureka dies, the price for those will skyrocket.

Would’ve been nice if that gear had been desynthable, even if all it produced was level 68-70 mats. Could’ve made gazelle leather and maybe twinthread or such even easier to obtain. Would also favor LTW and WVR desynths...but what hasn’t, really?

Finished the new Hildibrand quests. I felt they packed a decent amount of content into the two quests. Of course, more is always better, but I don't feel cheated. They'll get around to it. Wonder when we can expect 4.3?

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Wonder when we can expect 4.3?
    Late May is my guess.

So we'll probably get a Live Letter mid April and another in early/mid May.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    turbo-controller time?
    btw,
    Hori Pad Switch works wonders for lockbox /crystal turn-ins. has a turbo button with auto-press.

10+ Year Old Account
    I opened 700 of my 2100 boxes until I got the Dino.
    Not sure if I want to open the rest. >.<

Went into Eureka last night for the first time, shouted for an invite to the NM Fate train, got a real quick invite which was nice, did three of the FATEs got a total of 500 experience for over an hour of time spent. Left the group and solo'd my Way to level 3 in less time than it took to get 500 xp.

I'm not impressed.

The people there were all pretty chill which was cool, I just don't like the time spent vs reward but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll do it again today and see if I can just set-up a lower level farm party. I don't want to let my first sub-par experience determine if I like it, but like I said, so far I'm not impressed. But if it's a consistent, easy to gauge and just time commitment type way to get new gear I think I'll deal with it just fine.

Really dislike how you have to level up to get any QoL features though. Makes moving around feel like a chore rather than getting the ability feeling like a reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Went into Eureka last night for the first time, shouted for an invite to the NM Fate train, got a real quick invite which was nice, did three of the FATEs got a total of 500 experience for over an hour of time spent. Left the group and solo'd my Way to level 3 in less time than it took to get 500 xp.
    Thing is if you're not doing the ones near your level, you're gonna get less XP. Sabotender Corrido would've given you 2.4k XP, same with Lord of Anemos giving 3.3k. But a lot of people ignore the lower ones now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soloing to level 3 is easy.

It starts at Lv 5 where soloing or grinding in general is not really competitive.

And the other side being the amount of crystals you get is laughable compared to what a NM will generate via Anemos conversion for time spent. Plus you get Lockboxes and Tomestones for killing NM's, whereas mobs give...a handful of Proteans. That's it.

I figured I was missing something when everyone was saying that killing NM got you tons of xp, and I was getting hardly anything. no surprise that you get less xp for FATEs above your level.

Is there something I should be focusing on as I'm just starting out? What's the recommended priority/ progression?

For now I'm kind of just looking to make traveling there much easier than running through mobs that can one shot me, because I figure the rest will just kind of come along with me progressing through it. So, targeting level 9 for the Aetheryte unlocks. When can you start using a mount?

mount unlocked after lvl 17 quest

10+ Year Old Account
    I started doing fate train around Lv 4, got 2-3K even from Pazu who was WAY above my level.
    Only important thing is being in a group with some high levels so you get enough damage in for gold.

The experience will improve as you rise in level, especially when you get full credit for more and more of the NM's. Past lvl 5 it becomes more important as that's when dying and not getting res'ed will cause an XP loss, and even moreso past 11 when enough lost XP will actually make you de-level. Fortunately, sticking with the train makes this a non-issue as people toss res'es left and right.

At this point i think FFXIV has had the most sprite art produced for it of any mainline FF game since VI and boy is that sad.

Super nostalgic stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Super nostalgic stuff though.
    My Yol has a gatling cannon. Your argument is invalid.

10+ Year Old Account

They had me for a minute there but then I remembered the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    They had me for a minute there but then I remembered the date.
    Super-Special Plastic Stick coming to Mogstation soon, please look forward to it!

April Fools is a depressing holiday when it comes to games. Why? sometimes the stuff they joke about sounds pretty cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always circle back to this game because I thoroughly enjoyed it...

I haven't touched it since Stormblood launch because my group always seems to go back to WoW. Given that I am now playing things alone - I figured I might check out FFXIV once again.

How "returner" friendly is it now? When I played previously, it was essentially pug EX's or don't play. I started leveling alts because I had the highest IL I could from pugging as there were no raids out.

Is coming back and "catching up" possible still? Or should I be waiting for a specific point in time in the future to catch up.