1 haircut
    3 triple triad cards

16 outfit pieces
    5 minions
    3 emotes
    3 mounts - 2 repeats
    5 orchestrion rolls
    7 housing none food/consumable pieces
    Hard to say it's a downward trend when 2018 is fairly in line with 2016 & 2015, possibly slightly lower but not by a lot (have to see what the final holiday offers). 2017 is an outlier (and geez that is a LOT). Across the whole, removing the unusual 2017 numbers, it's fairly in line year after year in terms of event rewards. It will be something to watch in 2019 if we get another large uptick like 2017 or if it stays more in line with most years.

As Kaelwryn noted, though, not every year has a Lightning Returns or Yo-Kai Watch tie in either, so that skews things if you're going purely off year to year comparison.

I'll agree last year's was a bit more fun, though. And I still see people using the werewolf outfit running around.
    It would be nice if this year's Christmas event offered some Japanese, er I mean Doman, flair to it for rewards. You can only do variations on Santa glamour pieces so many times, after all.

On that note, @Kaelwryn - I can assure you I don't just toss my holiday things in the armoire..... they sit in my retainer's inventory taking up space because the Dream Boots and other Santa pieces from one year still don't go in the Armoire! T-T

The only thing that irks me about the MogStation is some of the unique outfits, like the one our pirate friend wears in the Ruby Sea. That should have totally been a WVR crafted outfit! I'm actually okay with NPC outfits being mog station items.

Mounts, I wish there were long annoying grinds to get them in game or excessive gil sinks with the MogStation being the quick n' easy method. That's the most ideal approach in my mind - make them available in game, even if it's a soul crushing grind and real cash is the quick n' easy method if you wanna go that way. Just give me some long term reward to work towards as an alternative and I'll be pretty forgiving.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2018-10-22 at 04:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Hard to say it's a downward trend when 2018 is fairly in line with 2016 & 2015, possibly slightly lower but not by a lot (have to see what the final holiday offers). 2017 is an outlier (and geez that is a LOT). Across the whole, removing the unusual 2017 numbers, it's fairly in line year after year in terms of event rewards. It will be something to watch in 2019 if we get another large uptick like 2017 or if it stays more in line with most years.

As Kaelwryn noted, though, not every year has a Lightning Returns or Yo-Kai Watch tie in either, so that skews things if you're going purely off year to year comparison.

I'll agree last year's was a bit more fun, though. And I still see people using the werewolf outfit running around.
    It would be nice if this year's Christmas event offered some Japanese, er I mean Doman, flair to it for rewards. You can only do variations on Santa glamour pieces so many times, after all.

On that note, @Kaelwryn - I can assure you I don't just toss my holiday things in the armoire..... they sit in my retainer's inventory taking up space because the Dream Boots and other Santa pieces from one year still don't go in the Armoire! T-T

The only thing that irks me about the MogStation is some of the unique outfits, like the one our pirate friend wears in the Ruby Sea. That should have totally been a WVR crafted outfit! I'm actually okay with NPC outfits being mog station items.

Mounts, I wish there were long annoying grinds to get them in game or excessive gil sinks with the MogStation being the quick n' easy method. That's the most ideal approach in my mind - make them available in game, even if it's a soul crushing grind and real cash is the quick n' easy method if you wanna go that way. Just give me some long term reward to work towards as an alternative and I'll be pretty forgiving.
    Hm weird that dream boots and I assume the santa hat/beard is the other one you're talking about aren't armoire-able. Also, I can crush your dreams if you like on the christmas outfit. :x

I do agree, I would like them do more of the npc outfits as in-game stuff. Not like the big named npcs, like Hien etc, but like the Ishgard noble dress and the kimonos you see on random npcs in the cities. I want them so bad ;( Atleast in a week or two I'll be able to get the chest that the girl for the doma reconstruction wears. I am also in agreement that it would be nice if the mogstation mounts were also obtainable in game, in some way even if its a huge gil sink or a bit of a grind to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    snip
    Its not really the rewards, they just compound it. Its the 'Time to do the event... and realistically 5 minutes later i am done, GG see you next year'. When they could use these to just test new ideas or mechanics with a live audience. Having a bad event sucks, but then just getting a minion or something is the one two punch of lame. I miss it being christmas and everyones riding chocobos carrying presents or something. Like with the asian influence of Stormbloods Doma story we could have had a nice Youkai inspired Chocobo barding or something. Instead they just made two static assets from previous years into a minion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Hm weird that dream boots and I assume the santa hat/beard is the other one you're talking about aren't armoire-able. Also, I can crush your dreams if you like on the christmas outfit. :x

I do agree, I would like them do more of the npc outfits as in-game stuff. Not like the big named npcs, like Hien etc, but like the Ishgard noble dress and the kimonos you see on random npcs in the cities. I want them so bad ;( Atleast in a week or two I'll be able to get the chest that the girl for the doma reconstruction wears. I am also in agreement that it would be nice if the mogstation mounts were also obtainable in game, in some way even if its a huge gil sink or a bit of a grind to get them.
    The red top that the Shinsegumi I was certain would be a dyeable crafted item, but I'm starting to doubt it now....

Chaos just shat the bed again for a bit. Lotta people DC'D.

They really need to do something about that...

It's very telling that it's smoother for me, as a European player, to stick to Aether rather than bother with Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    They really need to do something about that...

It's very telling that it's smoother for me, as a European player, to stick to Aether rather than bother with Chaos.
    They won't. Too many blind fanboys going 'NOT SE'S FAULT' like good little parrots to ever create the kind of pressure it'll take for them to get the stick out of their ass and put the time and money towards a better solution to the chronic failings of that Data Center's location.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Chaos just shat the bed again for a bit. Lotta people DC'D.
    "Hey i'm the new guy, yeah here for the chaos server again, can you point me in the right direction?"
    "Follow the stairs down to the dark room, the mould and damp will give it away. That sparking apple mini ontop of the oil drum is the one you are lookin' fer, get to it the duct tape needs afixin'!"

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    They won't. Too many blind fanboys going 'NOT SE'S FAULT' like good little parrots to ever create the kind of pressure it'll take for them to get the stick out of their ass and put the time and money towards a better solution to the chronic failings of that Data Center's location.
    Yeah...

I don't have much beef with FFXIV. Yet what I do have issue with is stuff that is completely avoidable. Namely the flawed housing system, the unfortunate lack of masculine casual glamour/hairstyles and the server issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    You state that MP issues would be "quickly" overcome, but that's a tuning issue not a design one. The concept is still sound and I'd actually argue that it's the correct way to demonstrate power growth.
    Not entirely a tuning one. As your group gets better gear the tanks take less damage, so there's less healing required there, the armour bonuses across your raid reduce the AoE damage they take, so again less healing, and lastly the healers themselves are going to have more MP and MP regen. It might not make MP issues vanish entirely, but it's a problem that gets attacked from multiple angles.

Running out of MP should, imo, be the "your raid took too much avoidable damage" failure state for healers, not the default one.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can dick around with healers MP if you make DPS spells free of charge.
    I do NOT want to play an oldschool MP constrained healer in a world where everyone and their grandma expects me to fill every .5s downtime by casting a damage spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You can dick around with healers MP if you make DPS spells free of charge.
    I do NOT want to play an oldschool MP constrained healer in a world where everyone and their grandma expects me to fill every .5s downtime by casting a damage spell.
    Ideally, you wouldn't be asked to DPS at all in a re-imagined system that put more emphasis on healers actually being a healer, rather than a boring DPS with some healing on the side, which is what they seem to play like in most content, progression/ bleeding edge content being the only real exception.

Finished up the Doman Enclave today. Have to say I'm pleased with how it played out, the game needs more content like this, little weekly story progressions you can interact with and feel like you're impacting the game world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Ideally, you wouldn't be asked to DPS at all in a re-imagined system that put more emphasis on healers actually being a healer, rather than a boring DPS with some healing on the side, which is what they seem to play like in most content, progression/ bleeding edge content being the only real exception.
    Actually, if you have a good group that ecexutes mechanics well, a healer feels like a robot to play.
    You know exactly when and what heals you are going to cast and you barely, if ever deviate from that. The rest is mindlessly spamming 3 DPS spells.

Healing is only fun in gimp groups when you actually have to adjust on the fly. Sadly, in savage the wiggle room is somewhat limited and fails often end up being non recoverable.

Actually, if you have a good group that ecexutes mechanics well, a healer feels like a robot to play.
    You know exactly when and what heals you are going to cast and you barely, if ever deviate from that. The rest is mindlessly spamming 3 DPS spells.

Healing is only fun in gimp groups when you actually have to adjust on the fly. Sadly, in savage the wiggle room is somewhat limited and fails often end up being non recoverable.
    That has been my experience as well, but that doesn't really make you any different than a DPS or tank in that regard; lock step ability usage I mean.

That's one of the things this game really needs to work on, not just game mechanics wise, but difference in healing styles. Given the kits of each of the healers, I imagine they all play almost identically in the situation you're describing:

AoE Heal with Shield/HoT effect -> ST Heal -> St Heal with Shield/Hot effect -> AoE Heal -> AoE Heal with Shield/HoT effect...

I know I have all my equivalent style heals mapped to the same key on my healing classes, so if that was the case, I'd literally being doing the exact same thing/ hitting the exact same buttons regardless of which healing class I was playing. And that's because at their core, the healers all have the same kit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That has been my experience as well, but that doesn't really make you any different than a DPS or tank in that regard; lock step ability usage I mean.
    Interesting, I only know priority based DPS from WoW (never played DPS in FF-XIV) and there, barring the opener, each pull is a little different w/o the boss needing to F things up.

The sameness is pretty much there for tanks too.
    If you try to heal with an SCH like you'd heal as WHM, you'd make a pretty lousy SCH.
    Main difference is preemptive healing vs reactive healing. Also a resson why I never play SCH because I rather react than guess ahead.

AST is just a copycat of both.

Interesting, I only know priority based DPS from WoW (never played DPS in FF-XIV) and there, barring the opener, each pull is a little different w/o the boss needing to F things up.
    That's because classes in FFXIV are designed to play themselves, you are never thinking about how to play your class, linear combos and off-GCD cooldowns are there for you. There's no resource management, no trinkets and no procs - ergo, no decisions to make during the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    That's because classes in FFXIV are designed to play themselves, you are never thinking about how to play your class, linear combos and off-GCD cooldowns are there for you. There's no resource management, no trinkets and no procs - ergo, no decisions to make during the fight.
    BRD and MCH say hello.

The sameness is pretty much there for tanks too.
    If you try to heal with an SCH like you'd heal as WHM, you'd make a pretty lousy SCH.
    Main difference is preemptive healing vs reactive healing. Also a resson why I never play SCH because I rather react than guess ahead.

AST is just a copycat of both.
    Right, I was being broad, but I think the point still stands. The only difference would be when you cast the spell, not whether you cast the spell/ which spell you use. Rather than waiting until after the ability to cast it you'd cast it right before, but you'd use the "same" spell (AoE, ST, AOE w/ additional effect, ST w/ additional effect, etc...) regardless of the class, which for me would translate to pressing the same button.

I don't like shield healing in comparison to HoT style, especially in this game where the same class can't stack shields, but can stack HoT's...if the shields could stack it would be great.

As to your opening point, unlike WoW, almost every DPS has a pretty set rotation when played correctly. It looks like a priority system, and kind of "devolves" into that if you screw up the timing or rotation for whatever reason, but the buffs, debuffs, DoT's, etc... are all timed to align almost perfectly with the rotation the class is meant to execute, so that they get refreshed right when they are about to, or just after, they fall off. Summoner and Bard are two classes that don't fit this paradigm exactly, but are also really the only classes that are super spammy with a single ability. And only Summoner and Black Mage have a "proc" ability that really requires any kind of priority. The rest work pretty much like clockwork.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2018-10-23 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    BRD and MCH say hello.
    RDM, as well.