Deleted

Advices for a Shadow Priest on Ragnaros 10H

Hello fellow shadow casters

We have finally killed Ragnaros last week and still have to kill him this timer, but we tried with a different roster yesterday and well... our shadow priest is really, really low on DPS. He hasn't done many tries with us since he always said that shadow priests are not made for this fight. But sometimes we just have to take him since we are only 10 accepted, and getting only one meteor in P3 with somebody at 24k is kinda hard...

So I was hoping you could give me some advices for him, here are two P3 logs from yesterday (we stopped early) :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...e/?s=210&e=769
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1181&e=1757

His armory, if you spot weird things on his gear/spec :
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/characte...zalon/advanced

I compared him with a Paragon SP (Xenophics), and it looks like he doesn't use Mind Spike whereas my SP did :
    http://opendevelop.fr/toprealm/Timel...6381&endB=6481

His DPS is pretty low overall, not only in P3.

Thanks in advance from a friendly warlock ;p
    Last edited by mmoc8b57eca00f; 2011-11-07 at 03:42 PM.

There are a couple things that I noticed. Your SP needs to get rid of his glyph of Dispersion and use Glyph of Shadow Word: Death. This is a pretty large loss of dps in p3, not being able to double tap SW Death when Rag is sub 25%. He is using the wrong meta gem in his helm. He should be using Burning Shadowspirit Diamond. His stat priorities are all over the place. His haste and hit are low. A lot of his reforging is nonexistent. His DMC Volcano trinket especially needs to be forged for haste. He is losing out on DPS by not having his 4 piece tier. I can't imagine having killed Majordomo 14 times and Ragnaros 10 times, that he wouldn't have gotten at least one tier token to get his four piece set bonus. The shoulders he is using are terribly itemized for shadow.

The logs don't show that he is using potions. Cooldowns need to be saved and popped right at the start of p3, before the first meteor spawns in conjunction with Hero/Bloodlust; this is huge. He should have a very noticeable DPS spike at the start of p3, and it's not there. Having to move during world in flames really sucks as a SP, so make sure he is standing right on the border of the spawn, so he only has to take a few steps in or out. If he's moving around too much, that will greatly affect his DPS.

You cannot compare logs to Paragon's SP, because they are running 25 man, you are not. Of course Xenophics is going to Mind Sear Sons of Flame in 25 man according to their knockbacks and strategy. In 10 man Mind Spike works better to nuke single adds. If you get positioning of the adds where there is a large group of them, then yes, Mind Sear is much better. Most of the time they are not all grouped in 10 man though, and Mind Spike is a better nuke.

Hopefully that helps him with his DPS. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Sakamae; 2011-11-07 at 05:46 PM.

Here is what your spriest should be doing.

I usually pull 40ish give or take during the burn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLA6ZZo2buE

Deleted
    You cannot compare logs to Paragon's SP, because they are running 25 man, you are not.
    Well in the log I took they were in 10man ^^

In 10 man Mind Spike works better to nuke single adds.
    He used it on Ragnaros too in P3.

I can't imagine having killed Majordomo 14 times and Ragnaros 10 times, that he wouldn't have gotten at least one tier token to get his four piece set bonus. The shoulders he is using are terribly itemized for shadow.
    He has at least the helmet in his bags, don't know for the shoulders :/

Thanks for the advices, I surely wouldn't have looked his metagem, oh my god -_-
    Last edited by mmoc8b57eca00f; 2011-11-07 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamae View Post
    I can't imagine having killed Majordomo 14 times and Ragnaros 10 times, that he wouldn't have gotten at least one tier token to get his four piece set bonus.
    Oh trust me... it does happen ><

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Well in the log I took they were in 10man ^^

He used it on Ragnaros too in P3.

He has at least the helmet in his bags, don't know for the shoulders :/

Thanks for the advices, I surely wouldn't have looked his metagem, oh my god -_-

My bad on the Paragon log, it wouldn't open for me, and I just figured it was 25 man. He should never ever be mind spiking Ragnaros during P3. Mind spike removes all of his DoTs....

Possibly using it to knock back meteors.

He should use SWD glyph. Use Archangel once in p1, and again in first transition. Will be up for second seed.

For seeds he could mind sear off of either your pet, if you have him move to where the seeds are stacked up, or he could sear off of your arcane mage. Archangel will be up for the second seed set, so he can use it then. It'll then also be up for the burn phase, even if you only do two seeds.

His uptime on his dots seem a little low, so if he's not using a DoT tracker he should definitely get one. I like EventHorizon, plenty of other people use DoTimer.

It's a little weird, because I think I saw him use Mind Spike on rag 2 times, which he shouldn't ever do, so that's a no no.

He's also missing a lot of good stats by not reforging, like the guy above me said.

Here's my log from our most recent kill, if it helps you know a bit more about spriests on H Rag http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p.../?s=493&e=1224

Also, he should get the 4pc asap, if he has the helm, even on normal, he should use it over his heroic version.

Not gonna go through the log but some tips for the fight

- Spam Devouring Plague when you need to move for the add phases
    - Spam Devouring Plague when you need to move for the World in Flames
    - When the Sons of Flame spawn position yourself so you can put VT on each one as it spawns.
    They spawn in a specific order so you can Move down the line putting Dots on them.
    - I stand out from our group when the seed adds spawn so i can AoE off our mages who run with the adds but this is a strategy based thing. You could do this just off one of the seed adds but it would be less effective. This obviously is totally strat based and I am sure changed for 10 mans.

Lastly , gear. It is lacking for Heroic Rag. No 4 pc is a big issue. No SWDeath glyph. I hope thats just a symptom of forgetting to switch the Dispersion glyph back to SWDeath glyph after Heroic Baleroc. If this is normal then he has a bigger issue since he doesnt actually know how to maximize damage.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if he hasn't already send him to Shadowpriest.com and have him read Kilee's guide, then have him read it again.

Necklace reforge mastery to spirit
    Shoulders reforge crit to haste
    Belt Mastery to spirit
    Darkmoon card Mastery to Haste

Glyph already mentioned

Uptimes on Dot's is horrible. 95% should be the goal.
    Last edited by marathal; 2011-11-08 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Hello fellow shadow casters
    I compared him with a Paragon SP (Xenophics), and it looks like she doesn't use Mind Spike whereas my SP did :
    I don't like to be THAT guy but there, fixed it for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

Really sounds like they just need to get a better idea of how to play shadow, as many have pointed out the gear choices and reforging are all over the place, one glyph wrong, and general spell usage suggests they either don't know what they're doing or they're panicking and making mistakes. Mind Spike is useful on Sons of Flame if Searing isn't an option (dotting them is for all intents and purposes, useless), and also useful for bursting down a meteor, nothing else.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...1996#Estarliia - can show you roughly how it should look, but it sounds like the thing they need the most is to learn how to do everything properly (from general gearing to the more intricate playstyle of knowing when to use what).

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB Dragonslayer with that... how the hell?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, that's some impressive boosting you've done there.

As said, he needs a better DoT uptime. Has he forgotten that Mind Spike removes all his DoTs from the target?