Thread: NCAA football

Pretty obvious in the new rankings that who or whatever comes up with them doesn't take into account the strength of ones schedule...Auburn, Mizz and Alabama have played and beat way higher ranked teams then Ohio State while OSU has beat 2 ranked teams with the highest being 16? and their last game is vs #11 who has played 2 ranked teams #20/#21 and lost 1 of them....

I feel drugs should be restricted when voting

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    so if Florida State heads to the title game does that mean Duke gets the Orange Bowl for the ACC? That would be a joke.
    U
    No, if FSU beats Duke the Orange Bowl would take Clemson. Duke would probably go to the Peach Bowl against SCAR. Regardless Duke has earned their spot in the ACC championship game.

Now to see the fun that happens this weekend.

EDIT: Didn't realize SCAR was the #4 ranked SEC team so they wouldn't fall to the Peach. Still, Duke wouldn't go to the Orange Bowl unless they some how beat FSU. Even then I'm not sure if they would go.
    Last edited by gismo7354; 2013-12-02 at 02:43 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    BCS rankings are no surprise. A non-SEC championship will be an interesting event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    BCS rankings are no surprise. A non-SEC championship will be an interesting event.
    Why are there teams that are only 10-1? Where's their other game?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    i think the big 12 plays this week as a normal week.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I thought most teams typically had just 11 games - 8 conference, 3 OC and if eligible, Conf title game and then a bowl. But just 11 regular season games for most.

Edit: perhaps that's the way it used to be. I do see a lot of 12 game teams on the board, including a few teams I thought I knew.

Edit x2: well shit, most of the top 25 have 12 games of regular season. Guess I was assuming some old school stuff.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-02 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steve Sarkisian leaves UW for USC hours after being on a local talk show saying he hasn't thought or heard from USC in their situation.

Fucking dick head.

Edit- hearing that Ed Orgeron has put in a letter of resignation. Also hearing several UW commits are un-committing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, been crazy few days.

FSU and OSU are lucky as hell that the SEC cannibalizes itself.

OSU is not very good. Simple as that. They have beaten like one team in the top ten since 2009. Pathetic conference. Would not be surprised at all if they lose to MSU. In fact, it would only be justice. Move over and let the big dogs feast.

FSU has at least looked great while trouncing their inferior opponents, but they will not be anything near as good if they lose Winston, which I think will happen according to the evidence against him.

Bama is proof that you still need a good kicker no matter how good you are at every other position. Foster is 24 for 42 in his less than stellar career at UA. He is indirectly responsible for 2 of our 3 losses since 2011. Glad he will be gone. Of course we should not leave games in the hands of kickers, but you can only win so many games before it comes down to them.

I obviously think that any one-loss SEC deserves to play in the final BCS championship over FSU and OSU. The SEC is responsible for beating themselves up and weakening their strength of schedule. The ACC and Big Ten are simply weak and let other conferences beat them up.

But hey, we can only see SEC domination for so long before something has to give. OSU was playing too easy of schedules to not go unbeaten with a decent squad. FSU picked up some real studs and feasted on the ACC. The Pac 12 was too strong for some team to walk through. Same with Big 12. The softness of the Big 10 and ACC set up a potential SEC-less championship, but they depended on a pair of miracle wins by Auburn to keep Bama out too. Both those teams should be kissing Auburn's ass right now.

Bottom line, the SEC takes back over as soon as the playoff system starts up. Then you will not be able to simply cupcake your way to a title game. You will have to beat at least one other badass school.

Enjoy your time in the sun OSU fans. Best case scenario is that you beat MSU and get pounded by FSU. At least that meaningless winning streak will finally end.
    I like sandwiches

It's going to be great when Michigan State beats Ohio State. People don't seem to give MSU much credit, but their only loss was 17-13 to Notre Dame at the beginning of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Well, been crazy few days.

But hey, we can only see SEC domination for so long before something has to give. OSU was playing too easy of schedules to not go unbeaten with a decent squad. FSU picked up some real studs and feasted on the ACC. The Pac 12 was too strong for some team to walk through. Same with Big 12. The softness of the Big 10 and ACC set up a potential SEC-less championship, but they depended on a pair of miracle wins by Auburn to keep Bama out too. Both those teams should be kissing Auburn's ass right now.
    Yeah the SEC is so strong a 3-4 loss team (Missouri) in the Big 12 comes in and competes for a SEC championship in their 2nd season, and a first year head coach does the same (Malzahn - Auburn).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah the SEC is so strong a 3-4 loss team (Missouri) in the Big 12 comes in and competes for a SEC championship in their 2nd season, and a first year head coach does the same (Malzahn - Auburn).
    The Missouri thing might be legitimate, but the Auburn thing makes absolutely no sense. Perhaps the previous coach was bad. Perhaps the entering coach is that good, and just works well in the system. Maybe new recruits improved the team. Saying the entire SEC is bad because a coach did well his first year there is just pointless.

I think the problem is simply that the SEC doesn't know how to handle read option teams. That's why Tebow did so well in Florida, and that's why both Auburn and Missouri are doing well this year. Running QB's are becoming a problem that they can't handle.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    EDIT: Didn't realize SCAR was the #4 ranked SEC team so they wouldn't fall to the Peach. Still, Duke wouldn't go to the Orange Bowl unless they some how beat FSU. Even then I'm not sure if they would go.
    What are you talking about? The Orange Bowl takes the ACC Champion, period. The only exception is if the ACC Champion is in the NC game. So if Duke were to beat FSU, they would be in the Orange Bowl unless they rose to #1 or #2, and obviously that wouldn't happen. As shitty as it is for Discover, they don't have a choice, Duke would have to play in that game.

As far as what is actually going to happen, if the season were to end with FSU and OSU winning, the Orange Bowl would get the #1 and #3 picks for At-large teams (Rose Bowl wouldget #2). That means they can pick a pretty juicy matchup. Alabama would be for sure their #1 pick, then the Rose Bowl would be left with likely MSU. Then I'm thinking the Orange Bowl will pick either Oregon or Clemson (both of which I think Alabama will handle pretty easily).

- - - Updated - - -

Did you guys know that this happened last year to 9-3 Louisiana Tech? Talk about shitty.

Note: On Friday, November 30, Louisiana Tech was invited to play in the Independence Bowl but asked for more time as they were in negotiations with the Liberty Bowl and Heart of Dallas Bowl. Louisiana Tech athletic director Bruce Van De Velde and WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd both claimed that on Saturday, December 1, the Liberty Bowl executive director Steve Ehrhart guaranteed the Bulldogs a bowl invite. After the Independence Bowl's deadline for Louisiana Tech to accept their invitation passed, the Independence Bowl selected the MAC's Ohio (8-4) instead. On Sunday, December 2, the Liberty Bowl extended their remaining bid to Iowa State (6-6) instead of Louisiana Tech (9-3). The Bulldogs did not end up playing in any bowl game despite boasting the nation's top scoring offense.

Be realistic, Duke isn't beating FSU. Also, Oregon isn't going to a BCS game.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Be realistic, Duke isn't beating FSU. Also, Oregon isn't going to a BCS game.
    I know I was just pointing out that when he said even if they beat FSU they still might not be in the Orange Bowl was wrong.

As far as Oregon, look at the rankings. They are 12th, one spot behind ASU. Assuming ASU loses to Stanford that will drop them below Oregon. So it comes down to them or Clemson. What teams do you think realistically have shot to get in over them? Remember, only 2 SEC schools can play in BCS games, including the Missouri/Auburn winner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Malzahn was the brains behind Auburn's 2010 title. SFW if this is his first year as head coach. It is his system and many of his players. Besides, just about anyone was a huge improvement over Chizick.

As for Mizzou, they played in the East for starters. No Bama, LSU, or Auburn on their schedule. Only other good team in East is SC and they beat Mizzou. I think Mizzou is a good team, but they would likely be closer to .500 in the SEC West. Would definitely not be going to Atlanta. As for this only being their 2nd season in the SEC, wtf does that even matter? They have a good coach and a lot of talent. I dare say that they would be doing the same thing in any other league besides maybe the Pac 12. They would damned sure be stomping mudholes in the Big 10 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    SEC fan here^ By the way how long did it take you to change all you bama gear to Auburn gear? Also better get a Mizzou jersey jstu in case.
    I make no attempt to hide my bias. My bias is steeped heavily in facts.

I always root for Auburn when they are not playing Bama. Many Bama fans do the same. My parents both went to Auburn. I root for the SEC in general, like most other Bama fans I know. You are really only as good as the conference you play in, so the better the conference does as a whole the better your team will be.
    I like sandwiches

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Where do you find out where the bowls pick and what order? Just on ESPN? Personally I would like them to take Okl St or Baylor.
    Rotates every year:

4. After steps No. 1, 2, and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order:

• January 2011 games - Sugar, Orange, Fiesta
    • January 2012 games - Fiesta, Sugar, Orange
    • January 2013 games - Fiesta, Sugar, Orange
    • January 2014 games - Orange, Sugar, Fiesta

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Jim Mora is in town for UW, talking to the AD there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate someone that is so honest in their bias. Seriously. I have the same bias for the Pac-12. Ironically, all of the cannibalism talk you offer to excuse some performances and loses can also be used to describe the Pac-12.

That being said, I have to agree that if the NCG comes down to a Winston-less FSU and an overhyped OSU, it will be utterly pathetic (and yeah, OSU still has to get by MSU, which will not be as easy as anyone seems to think).

I always root for Auburn when they are not playing Bama. Many Bama fans do the same. My parents both went to Auburn. I root for the SEC in general, like most other Bama fans I know. You are really only as good as the conference you play in, so the better the conference does as a whole the better your team will be.
    Even with the close beat over Oregon (my favorite team), I can't help but root for Auburn too. I still want the FSU/OSU matchup, however, just so the BCS can die a deserved death.

(ironically, the match up that everyone but ND fans wanted last year, might happen this year in the Orange Bowl - Ducks vs Tide - and that scares me this year, because Oregon isn't the same team now that is was in the first half of the season)

I'm seeing chatter about Oregon and 'Bama really being in the Orange Bowl - could this happen for reals?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Steve Sarkisian leaves UW for USC hours after being on a local talk show saying he hasn't thought or heard from USC in their situation.

Fucking dick head.

Edit- hearing that Ed Orgeron has put in a letter of resignation. Also hearing several UW commits are un-committing.
    Did he really do that? I mean, that's just priceless. I'm sure he had already signed with USC and was under a strict NDA until USC announced, but still funny that he would put himself in that position to have to lie.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-03 at 05:18 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    What facts? You really seem to be under the impression that the SEC is Varisty to everyone else's JV. Need I remind just last year Florida finished 11-1 (7-1) and then proceeded to play the then Big East Champion in the Sugar Bowl. The Big East at the time, was probably worse than the conferences you talk utter trash about, the ACC and B1G. Yeah Florida lost that game by 10. Yeah it was one game but judging by your comments of the difference in skill between the SEC and the B1G, ACC, and now AAC, there's no reason Florida shouldn't have won that game by 20+. Then there's South Carolina last year, another top tier SEC team, who played Michigan from the pathetic B1G conference, who needed a TD in the last 10 seconds of the game to win. Also Northwestern beat Mississippi State by 14.

I realize these are only a couple of examples, but they are from bowl games just last year and it really makes you assertion of the SEC compared to the B1G look stupid. Is the SEC a better, deeper conference than the B1G? Sure. It is as large as you are making it out to be? Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    What facts? You really seem to be under the impression that the SEC is Varisty to everyone else's JV. Need I remind just last year Florida finished 11-1 (7-1) and then proceeded to play the then Big East Champion in the Sugar Bowl. The Big East at the time, was probably worse than the conferences you talk utter trash about, the ACC and B1G. Yeah Florida lost that game by 10. Yeah it was one game but judging by your comments of the difference in skill between the SEC and the B1G, ACC, and now AAC, there's no reason Florida shouldn't have won that game by 20+. Then there's South Carolina last year, another top tier SEC team, who played Michigan from the pathetic B1G conference, who needed a TD in the last 10 seconds of the game to win. Also Northwestern beat Mississippi State by 14.

I realize these are only a couple of examples, but they are from bowl games just last year and it really makes you assertion of the SEC compared to the B1G look stupid. Is the SEC a better, deeper conference than the B1G? Sure. It is as large as you are making it out to be? Not even close.

Florida also lost to Michigan in some bowl game, whats your point? eventually that team no one has ever heard of will get a big win...when you get right down to it...

SEC 9-1 (1 loss to another SEC team)
    Other conferences in the title game: 5-14

Pretty sure Florida for example was considered an insane underdog when they owned Overrated State and when they played an Oklahoma team that was averaging like 65 points per game and they were held to 14 by Florida

How can people seriously say with a straight face that Ohio State should be in the title game when they havent played anyone? All I hear is people say "But they have 24 wins in a row" When you only play cupcakes and your conference is terrible winning 24 in a row isnt an accomplishment its expected. "But we are playing a top 10 ranked Michigan State" Now you arent. Michigan State isnt that great because their only loss is to a bad Notre Dame team with 4 losses. Michigan State's wins are against a bunch of bads as well.

Also who the hell is Northern Illinois and why are they trying to steal a BCS bid from a deserving 1 or 2 loss team from the SEC, Pac-12, or the Big12? Will they seriously get another invite to a BCS bowl after they decided to embarrass themselves last year by losing to Florida State by 21. I looked their schedule up and they didnt play a single ranked team all year. Again going undefeated because you played nobodies isnt an accomplishment or some feat that should be rewarded.

But I guess its only fitting that BCS, which is the biggest sports scandal and travesty since the 1919 World Series should go out showing it doesnt know jack shit about football.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-12-03 at 08:22 PM.