10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Romney's did seem to have more conviction behind it.
    Perhaps because it was mostly false promises. His speech sounded better, but I'm not sure I believe his speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Romney's did seem to have more conviction behind it.
    Probably because it was full of lies.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, who won?

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    So, who won?
    Feh. Romney did well, but he also lied like crazy.

I just watched the debate. Some people in this discussion like to label me an Obama cheering person. That's because the President actually has a plan for the middle class. Mitt Romeny does not. He has zero details on how he plan's to give tax breaks to everyone without cutting vital programs that people depend on. For some reason everyone will be getting tax cuts under Mitt Romeny. Oil and Natural Gas will sky rocket and they will be drilling in even more places.

Yet he has not offered one shred of detail. Nothing at all. Expect to say that he will keep the favorable options in place. Details, Details. I cannot stress this enough. How you can run for President, virtually has no details on how your policy will make everything better is unthinkable to me. Mitt keeps hammering away at Obama for the unemployment.

Like Obama said. Bush is the one who started that massive unployment. The President took office when that was already happening. We have been done the road of giving massive tax cuts to the richest. It has lead to a utter disaster. Bush has no excuse in the world. When Bill left office it was in one of the best conditions the economic it's even been in.

Bottom line. Mitt's plan is to let state do what they have been doing....nothing and step away and let everyone fend for themsevles in the middle of a almost depression and somehow that will magically make things better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they were both very well spoken, and carried themselves off well. No real stumbling or bloopers from either side.

Unfortunately I did not get what I wanted from Romney -- details. Just more "I like good education, I like creating jobs, I like revamping healthcare." HOW? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW? Ugh.

I'd say overall given where the Romney campaign is at, he "won" the debate, but it really seems to be like there was no real clear winner or loser...I don't see this being a debate that sways anyone really.

Also -- Romney's stance on taxes confuses me. He won't raise taxes, and he'll close loopholes and deductions to offset the lowering of taxes. Ummmm, if you lower taxes but remove deductions, aren't you just keeping taxes the same?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, who won?

I only caught the last 30 minutes (stupid work), but I thought Romney spoke with more conviction and passion, even if he was (as usual) fairly weak on specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Well, they were both very well spoken, and carried themselves off well. No real stumbling or bloopers from either side.

Unfortunately I did not get what I wanted from Romney -- details. Just more "I like good education, I like creating jobs, I like revamping healthcare." HOW? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW? Ugh.

I'd say overall given where the Romney campaign is at, he "won" the debate, but it really seems to be like there was no real clear winner or loser...I don't see this being a debate that sways anyone really.

Also -- Romney's stance on taxes confuses me. He won't raise taxes, and he'll close loopholes and deductions to offset the lowering of taxes. Ummmm, if you lower taxes but remove deductions, aren't you just keeping taxes the same?
    You posted this just after mine. Exactly we agree on something.

Details.... Details..He offered none at all and it's less then a month before the election. That's not just disturbing on a party bases. That's very disturbing to somehow lead this great nation but won't say how. It's because he has no plans and it's easier to point at other person then to actually offer a better solution because he doesn't have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    You posted this just after mine. Exactly we agree on something.

Details.... Details..He offered none at all and it's less then a month before the election. That's not just disturbing on a party bases. That's very disturbing to somehow lead this great nation but won't say how. It's because he has no plans and it's easier to point at other person then to actually offer a better solution because he doesn't have one.
    Most people don't care about details though, they just like to take the candidates speeches and promises and take them as fact.

Sadly, I think Obama lost this one. I mean I don't like Mitt, but Obama reminded me of Bush in the first Bush/Kerry debate. Probably not that bad but he did pretty poor.

Romney countered a lot of Obama's attacks (whether what he said was fact or not I am still waiting to find out), but Obama did not offer many strong counter points to Romney.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Sadly, I think Obama lost this one. I mean I don't like Mitt, but Obama reminded me of Bush in the first Bush/Kerry debate. Probably not that bad but he did pretty poor.

Romney countered a lot of Obama's attacks (whether what he said was fact or not I am still waiting to find out), but Obama did not offer many strong counter points to Romney.
    Lies =/= 'counters'.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Lies =/= 'counters'.
    They do for people that have no idea which is which. Those are the people that are being targeted at this point. The posters in these threads aren't the target audience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Lies =/= 'counters'.
    Not if people interpret them as truths... and lets face it. The Republican party has been running just fine on lies for years now.

Most people don't care about details though, they just like to take the candidates speeches and promises and take them as fact.
    There is a clear contrast from the two. One person hammers away at the other and labels it failures. Yet doesn't utter one single word about Bush. Romeny would destroy ObamaCare. Something that he created the blueprint for. Somehow it's good for his state but not everyone else. Yet it would provide exactly the same service.

How you could run for office with no plan expect to say "less government" and repeat patriotic saying's about the country what we stand for and somehow accept that. Is mind boggling to me as a human being and as a voter. Thankfully I think most people already made up their minds. Romeny is re-enforcing false talking points. I think the last two debates will no matter as early voting started in numerous states.

If President can keep this edge. He will win.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    There is a clear contrast from the two. One person hammers away at the other and labels it failures. Yet doesn't utter one single word about Bush. Romeny would destroy ObamaCare. Something that he created the blueprint for. Somehow it's good for his state but not everyone else. Yet it would provide exactly the same service.

How you could run for office with no plan expect to say "less government" and repeat patriotic saying's about the country what we stand for and somehow accept that. Is mind boggling to me as a human being and as a voter. Thankfully I think most people already made up their minds. Romeny is re-enforcing false talking points. I think the last two debates will no matter as early voting started in numerous states.

If President can keep this edge. He will win.
    The bottom line is that Romney is promoting the magic of the free market. That's basically his answer for everything. Want details? Pfft! Free market! That's your answer!

My impression (I have no idea how one decides a winner in these debates):

Romney: "I'm going to name as many policies as I can, say we can make them happen while not making the deficit even larger, but not tell you how we'll do it"
    Obama: "I'm going to say lots of numbers, but not really say how those numbers make for better policies than Romney's"

I would agree that Romney showed off how slippery he really is by the way that he avoided responding to Obama's comments and went on to say something else. Also, Obama's closing statement sounded more realistic, Romney's "I'm going to halve unemployment" wouldn't happen if he forced people to work.

i didnt see obama as losing, romney seemed to dance around details too much imo. that and the lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My impression (I have no idea how one decides a winner in these debates):

Romney: "I'm going to name as many policies as I can, say we can make them happen while not making the deficit even larger, but not tell you how we'll do it"
    Obama: "I'm going to say lots of numbers, but not really say how those numbers make for better policies than Romney's"

I would agree that Romney showed off how slippery he really is by the way that he avoided responding to Obama's comments and went on to say something else. Also, Obama's closing statement sounded more realistic, Romney's "I'm going to halve unemployment" wouldn't happen if he forced people to work.
    I think you just about got it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i didnt see obama as losing, romney seemed to dance around details too much imo. that and the lying.
    As other have said before me, the targets for this debate are the people who don't have enough information to know that most of Romney's points were lies. Even I knew they were lies, and I don't really follow current politics.

I think you just about got it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 08:55 PM ----------

As other have said before me, the targets for this debate are the people who don't have enough information to know that most of Romney's points were lies. Even I knew they were lies, and I don't really follow current politics.
    but obama actually explained how his policies would play out, vs. romneys hand waving. he provided more information.

The "We're all smart people and Republicans are too stupid to know lies from truth. Truth forever spilleth from the lips of our lord and saviour Barack, do not be led astray by the Great Deceiver Romney" circlejerk in this topic is amusing. Obama lost this debate, there are two more left and he has a solid lead in the polls. Keep calm and carry on.