Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    It's needed BADLY. I feel absolutely helpless in raids without it, I just have no idea if I'm doing it right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugfest View Post
    I would love one, if only to prove which sentinel spec has better sustained dps, Watchman or Combat. There is a fierce debate as to which one is the "better" spec.

Exactly one of the biggest reasons... Right now there is no sure way to settle this. Some people wouldn't care, and that's fine but some people want to know these sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Exactly one of the biggest reasons... Right now there is no sure way to settle this. Some people wouldn't care, and that's fine but some people want to know these sorts of things.
    i am one of those that would like to know, even if combat is weaker than the other specs (which is what my Solarix is), i still wanna know some concrete numbers--doesn't mean ill switch specs even if it's "worse".

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    You may be fine shooting hoops by yourself endlessly, but most of us here would actually rather, y'know, play basketball. Compete.
    i think this is a rather apt analogy. i mean, if you just rock the blacktop by yourself for years, you WILL get good at shooting, dribbling and more advance techniques like fade-aways, fakes, etc. BUT you will never understand the nuances of competitive, TEAM play, like passing, set-ups, picks and screens; strategy and tactics. the same logic can easily be applied to raiding. (and definitively PvP also)

if you play with only yourself, with limited knowledge of the intricacies and nuances of your style, spec or class, (derived from the juxtaposition of you and another palyer) you will not be "pushed" into performing better, as that incitant is literally absent from those equations. competition breeds innovation and performance. this is what our entire society is based on atm.
    Last edited by Qwell; 2012-02-29 at 04:10 PM.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

you are not entitled to the same loot as people who put in more effort as you.
    you are not helping the team unless you are trying your hardest to improve and do your best.
    you are not working as a team member if you arent doing the rotation that is agreed upon to be the best one.
    you are not wanting to work to better your raid if you do not want a parser showing deaths, dmg done, healing done, dps, hps, interrupts, ect.

if you are fine with being not , you shouldnt be playing a mmo.

Depends on what The Old Republic tries to be. If it really tries to continue as "story-focused MMO", it makes sense that players shouldn't need to care about their performance. From what I've heard, the tuning of even nightmare mode content is currently so easy that you can get by even with multiple players dragging the group down. After all, you are doing the raids to experience the story, not to compete with other guilds/players or to be challenged.

However, if the goal is to create World of Warcraft style semi-competitive raiding where defeating a difficult encounter is reward in itself, damage meters are mandatory now that communities have evolved enough to discover the optimal ways of doing things and this information is readily available on the Internet (ie. it's entirely reasonable to expect close-to-optimal play). If you can't properly distinguish terrible players from the good ones, the encounters HAVE to be tuned so that some dead weight is allowed. This completely removes individual challenge (you don't have to reach certain standards of performance because there's enough leeway for sub-optimal play) and guilds that happen to have competent players will never be challenged by output-requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Therastos View Post
    Depends on what The Old Republic tries to be. If it really tries to continue as "story-focused MMO", it makes sense that players shouldn't need to care about their performance. From what I've heard, the tuning of even nightmare mode content is currently so easy that you can get by even with multiple players dragging the group down. After all, you are doing the raids to experience the story, not to compete with other guilds/players or to be challenged.

However, if the goal is to create World of Warcraft style semi-competitive raiding where defeating a difficult encounter is reward in itself, damage meters are mandatory now that communities have evolved enough to discover the optimal ways of doing things and this information is readily available on the Internet (ie. it's entirely reasonable to expect close-to-optimal play). If you can't properly distinguish terrible players from the good ones, the encounters HAVE to be tuned so that some dead weight is allowed. This completely removes individual challenge (you don't have to reach certain standards of performance because there's enough leeway for sub-optimal play) and guilds that happen to have competent players will never be challenged by output-requirements.
    well all that is good and all but them adding in norm , hard , nightmare modes =to be challenged in higher modes of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    you are not entitled to the same loot as people who put in more effort as you.
    you are not helping the team unless you are trying your hardest to improve and do your best.
    you are not working as a team member if you arent doing the rotation that is agreed upon to be the best one.
    you are not wanting to work to better your raid if you do not want a parser showing deaths, dmg done, healing done, dps, hps, interrupts, ect.

if you are fine with being not , you shouldnt be playing a mmo.
    and this comment shows exactly why some kind of recount isn't needed and by the majority of the community isn't wanted !!!!!
    you want to play elitist play ego shooters
    to kill a mob, you don't need such tools and for all these crying for these tools keep one thing in mind
    the day they allow them, all raids will be worked as such, that all these tools are in use
    swtor is a game in such a way, you play it for fun, you wanna make a job out of it, don't try to pretent more then a handful are thinking like that !

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    and this comment shows exactly why some kind of recount isn't needed and by the majority of the community isn't wanted !!!!!
    you want to play elitist play ego shooters
    to kill a mob, you don't need such tools and for all these crying for these tools keep one thing in mind
    the day they allow them, all raids will be worked as such, that all these tools are in use
    swtor is a game in such a way, you play it for fun, you wanna make a job out of it, don't try to pretent more then a handful are thinking like that !
    im sorry but when you are playing with other people , you shouldnt try and waste their time by not trying your best. if that is elitist then too bad.

SO far I can't see any reason for it.

Clearing 8 man nightmare content now and sitting at 5/10 and we have yet to need it.

Sure it offer min/max potential but it also offers a alot of bad baggage with it.

Given what content we have cleared I just can see a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    SO far I can't see any reason for it.

Clearing 8 man nightmare content now and sitting at 5/10 and we have yet to need it.

Sure it offer min/max potential but it also offers a alot of bad baggage with it.

Given what content we have cleared I just can see a reason for it.
    We clear both on Nightmare mode every week and have been for quite some time its not like this content is hard in any way. That said recount is a great tool for anyone, the only people that hate addons like these are people who cant play up to there potential or just don't plain understand there class or the addon. Everyone will of course dispute this of course but its just an opinion, do w/e the F*** you wanna do!

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    by the majority of the community isn't wanted !!!!!
    I am not sure how you can legitimately say that the majority of the community doesn't want it... care to further explain that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I am not sure how you can legitimately say that the majority of the community doesn't want it... care to further explain that one?
    it's totally legitimate, watch:
    all turtles are ninjas! i've only ever seen ones on t.v. so i think i know what i'm talking about. also, they eat way too much 'za.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

Quote Originally Posted by Qwell View Post
    it's totally legitimate, watch:
    all turtles are ninjas! i've only ever seen ones on t.v. so i think i know what i'm talking about. also, they eat way too much 'za.
    hehe thats a good one .