Why have pre-patch events become so forgettable and insipid?

Recently, Wowhead has posted how the War Within's pre-patch event will be (at least part of it). I'll put the link to the post below:

https://www.wowhead.com/news/first-l...h-event-338812

The past few pre-patch events have been too forgettable and insipid (to say the least), and I believe Blizzard can do better.

My proposal is as follows: Let's imagine you're the senior designer of the next pre-patch event. How would you make it more interesting and memorable?
    Last edited by Nork; 2024-04-18 at 03:08 PM.

To answer your question: because people got mad as fuck about the BFA quests and mounts going away.

I think a similar prepatch to War of Thorns, but with quests and mounts that DON'T go away, would be good.

we dont even know the full event, no point passing judgement on it until we know the full scope

Mhm I'm curious what prepatch events are you comparing it to? The only one I really remember is the scourge invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    we dont even know the full event, no point passing judgement on it until we know the full scope
    This is the same bewildering argument I read when someone criticises something during Alpha or Beta. Guess what? 99% of the time things end up being as they looked in Alpha or Beta.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justwatching View Post
    Mhm I'm curious what prepatch events are you comparing it to? The only one I really remember is the scourge invasion.
    Battle for Azeroth pre-patch event was one of the best ever made, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by justwatching View Post
    The Scourge Invasion was the only one that was really notable because it had the whole "fuck with other players/towns" aspect. Pretty much every other pre-launch event has been some manner of "a lot of mobs spawn in an area, kill them for loot."
    confirmed by my uncle nitnendo and masahiro samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post
    This is the same bewildering argument I read when someone criticises something during Alpha or Beta. Guess what? 99% of the time things end up being as they looked in Alpha or Beta.
    not really the same. the entire event isnt even playable and isnt even known yet, we know what some of it is. Would be a different story if we could actually see what the entire event was.

also TIL that "wait until we have all the details" is a 'bewildering' take

Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Battle for Azeroth pre-patch event was one of the best ever made, for example.

Ah that War in Darkshore. Mhm yeah but it was honestly completely erased from my mind.

So wait, Plunderstorm/Remix FOMO bad, Pre-Patch event with no chance of a rerun FOMO good?

Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    not really the same. the entire event isnt even playable and isnt even known yet, we know what some of it is. Would be a different story if we could actually see what the entire event was.

also TIL that "wait until we have all the details" is a 'bewildering' take
    What I'm trying to say is that the main event has already been datamined. We're probably missing a couple of quests, but that's it. The problem here is that so many people tend to say "it's just beta/alpha", implying that things will change a lot, but 99% of the time things remain the same. I don't need to wait for anything, for the main event has already been datamined.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your proposal is as follows and then you ask us for ideas? You thief.