Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    You can play two games at once though! Since D3 isn't sub based, I don't see why you can't play both. I will be.
    Yea but dividing time between two games means that SWTOR servers will appear to be even more dead, people will become even more upset etc. Snowball effect. In best case scenario D3 release wont hurt SWTOR that much, but it certainly wont help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritalian View Post
    Back when MMO's wasn't much more of a niche genre... if we're going to keep bringing up WoW (which we shouldn't be), I wonder how many people subscribed to swtor due to influences (both good/bad) from playing WoW.
    I only know of it because of WOW......
    "Canada is a country where fake girlfriends live"
    I may not go down in history, but I'll go down on your sister.

I think (hope), that we will most likely see a little more decrease, and then, once they consolidate the servers and get everyone onto servers where there is always a decent concurrent population, they get in Cross-Server Warzones (which I think are coming with Ranked before 1.3?), and a Server only Group Finder, we'll start to see perhaps some growth as players shouldn't find themselves unable to get groups and play with people, there also should be queue pops pretty quickly for everyone, and then overall, people will be able to play the game, and enjoy it's content much easier. At that point, hopefully, we should start to see an increase in Subs - the game is good enough to get more players, and I think those few things will make a huge difference.

Player population alone has been enough to make many many people reroll to servers like Tomb of Freedom Nadd and The Fatman, so I think once we get population sorted, cross-server warzones, and single server group finder, we'll start seeing a positive increase in the subs.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal of course, but I know of quite a few guys that are going to give the game another shot once we get transfers and can get to a better populated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal of course, but I know of quite a few guys that are going to give the game another shot once we get transfers and can get to a better populated server.
    Anecdotal evidence is stories of experience, experience the shapes our perceptions, which in turn dictate how we feel. A plea to emotion is a valid argument, and one of the three pillars of rhetoric, logic, emotion, and credibility. Just be aware that it can be countered with anecdotes showing the opposite, but that does not invalidate them. of course, that is all off topic.

On topic, I finally got done catching up. My guess would of been 1.25m and on the one hand it's nice to see I would of been close, with it being higher, but on the other hand, I would of hoped for it to be even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    While its a shame that it appears, at least at this point, that TOR won't reverse the trend affecting new AAA MMORPG's from the last few years. The big splash, plateau, and then the spiral down to a lower plateau. Again, the "overall" numbers don't really impact us. Concurrency and active server populations matter much more. As does patch support and content expansion slash improvement. EA has shown before, WAR being the most recent example, they are not shy about slashing budgets and headcounts when a product is no longer profitable enough for them. Until that happens BioWare will continue to work on TOR. So for those who are happy with TOR, then your future is indeed bright. Just as for those that TOR did not prove entertaining enough, to keep paying to keep playing, the chance that the game will someday reach that point remains.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Losing subscriptions is inevitable, especially when you sell 2 million units. WoW sold 700,000 units worldwide through January 2005.. a full YEAR after release. The sky is not falling. It never was.
    I will have to refute your argument with this:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/11/..._of_warcra.php

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifanatic View Post
    I will have to refute your argument with this:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/11/..._of_warcra.php
    Oh so now I'm in your signature? I feel honored even more.

I said it has the capability. Did I say its the WoW-killer? No. Stop trolling me. All of your responses are quoting me. You made an account for the sake of following me around.

"-July 21, 2005 - World of Warcraft accumulates more than 1.5 million paying customers in China, pushing the worldwide consumer total over 3.5 million."

So about 9 months after release they hit 3.5 million users... almost half of them are from China. What are you trying to prove here? Bioware hasn't release this game in China. If you take that number out of WoWs release numbers, they have 2mill users after 9 months.

Oh so now I'm in your signature? I feel honored even more.

I said it has the capability. Did I say its the WoW-killer? No. Stop trolling me. All of your responses are quoting me. You made an account for the sake of following me around.

"-July 21, 2005 - World of Warcraft accumulates more than 1.5 million paying customers in China, pushing the worldwide consumer total over 3.5 million."

So about 9 months after release they hit 3.5 million users... almost half of them are from China. What are you trying to prove here? Bioware hasn't release this game in China. If you take that number out of WoWs release numbers, they have 2mill users after 9 months.
    wtf is people's beef with WoW being popular in China? Are you trying to imply that chinese players do not count as much as NA or EU players?

If you take that number out of WoWs release numbers, they have 2mill users after 9 months.
    What is the point of saying something like this? Again, are you somehow implying that chinese subs are not as good as American subs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    wtf is people's beef with WoW being popular in China? Are you trying to imply that chinese players do not count as much as NA or EU players?
    No, I'm trying to imply that its a playerbase not tapped by TOR. When games are "competing", its only fair to use the grounds where they are actually competing on. Both WoW and TOR are tapped into the US and EU, which means they are fighting for THOSE subs. TOR has not released in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post

What is the point of saying something like this? Again, are you somehow implying that chinese subs are not as good as American subs?
    Chinese players pay by the hour yet still count as subscribers hence they are actually worth less per player from a business perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Chinese players pay by the hour yet still count as subscribers hence they are actually worth less per player from a business perspective.
    Wait what? Are you serious? I did not know that.

Wait what? Are you serious? I did not know that.
    As far as I'm aware yes, doubt anything has changed in the past couple of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware yes, doubt anything has changed in the past couple of years.
    I always wondered what they did at internet cafes in order to play, since most of them don't own personal computers at home... I thought they just bought time cards or something. It makes much more sense now!

Looks like it hasn't changed, this is why in most discussions regarding WoW subs the western portion is generally estimated to 3.5-4.5 million which is what you would compare other games to.

In China, because a large number of the players do not own the computer they use to play games (e.g. Internet cafes), the CD keys required to create an account can be purchased independently of the software package. To play the game, players must also purchase prepaid game cards that can be played for 66 hours and 40 minutes.[59] A monthly fee model is not available to players of this region.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it hasn't changed, this is why in most discussions regarding WoW subs the western portion is generally estimated to 3.5-4.5 million which is what you would compare other games to.
    That has long been a matter of debate but whether you count Blizzard's "interpretation" of their Asian subscription numbers or not, WoW still dominates the MMORPG market. The fact that its managed to do so for six years makes it even more astounding. So many competitors over the years and only Aion seems to have ever managed to pass the three million mark.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Well this thread has gone far afield from the original topic, and is now into areas covered in other threads so the time has come to shut this one down.