Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mindp View Post
    What I find amazing is that in todays world, we're like the best of buddies! I've worked with RAF guys, they love being stationed in the US.
    Pretty much every country hates the UK and the USA thats why, we are cousins that used to hate each other but are now bonded through strife.

And to hell with the RAF, bloody crabs.....

I remember seeing the US soldiers around during one of our the training camps and wondering where they hell they were fighting that the higher ups decided this camo was the best choice. Poor guys & gals.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Pretty much every country hates the UK and the USA thats why, we are cousins that used to hate each other but are now bonded through strife.

And to hell with the RAF, bloody crabs.....
    I don't think that is entirely true. Most members of what was the English Empire are all still buddy buddies.

LOL, has anyone seen the US Navy's new "cammies?" Fucking blue camoflague, like, seriously? THAT's an embarrassment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
    LOL, has anyone seen the US Navy's new "cammies?" Fucking blue camoflague, like, seriously? THAT's an embarrassment.
    Yeah, made my eyes burn just looking at them. Why does the navy need camo? Seems very odd to me.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    night time amphibious ops I'm guessing?

E: it isn't new

Yeah, made my eyes burn just looking at them. Why does the navy need camo? Seems very odd to me.
    So that when they jump ship it'll be difficult to spot them among the waves and whatnot :P

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    So that when they jump ship it'll be difficult to spot them among the waves and whatnot :P
    I'd think if you had to jump ship, you'd eventually WANT to be spotted in the waves...

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'd think if you had to jump ship, you'd eventually WANT to be spotted in the waves...
    Depends by who. For example, not by Great Whites

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Most people working on the outside of the ships wear brightly coloured clothing, so this new camo baffles me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...for_launch.jpg

This is the only thing I've seen ACUs blend with. My time in the service was spent in the Air Force and I was pissed the day I had to trade my BDUs/DCUs in for those horrible digital tiger stripe things. I heard that the USAF uniforms were designed to look like the Army from far away, but distinctly different up close. Since both services work together a lot (at least in my career field), they wanted us to appear from a distance as one unit. I don't know why the higher-ups thought that was a good idea unless they thought the next war was going to be in grandma's living room. Hopefully, like the little brother that we are, we follow the Army's lead and change those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatz View Post
    [couch pic]

This is the only thing I've seen ACUs blend with.
    That really honestly made me laugh out loud.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatz View Post

This is the only thing I've seen ACUs blend with. My time in the service was spent in the Air Force and I was pissed the day I had to trade my BDUs/DCUs in for those horrible digital tiger stripe things. I heard that the USAF uniforms were designed to look like the Army from far away, but distinctly different up close. Since both services work together a lot (at least in my career field), they wanted us to appear from a distance as one unit. I don't know why the higher-ups thought that was a good idea unless they thought the next war was going to be in grandma's living room. Hopefully, like the little brother that we are, we follow the Army's lead and change those things.
    Awesome, love the pic!

I used to work a building across from a Recruiter's office, would take smoke breaks with some of the guys working there. When they got the new camo, I pointed it out to one of them and he just said: "Yeah, I hate it. It's going to be impossible to recruit people to wear this stuff."

Apparently the US army has finally admitted their camouflage was a huge mistake, one that cost the tax payer $5 billion.

"The fact that the government spent $5 billion on a camouflage design that actually made its soldiers more visible — and then took eight years to correct the problem — has also left people in the camouflage industry incensed. The total cost comes from the Army itself and includes the price of developing the pattern and producing it for the entire service branch."

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/06...ge-fiasco-1-5/

Anybody got any experience wearing this stuff? Is it really as bad as they made it out to be?
    They were phasing the ACUs in as I was getting out and whomever thought it was a good idea to use velcro for anything never spent a day in the field. The only positive thing that anyone took from it was no need to shine the boots or starch the uniform which I honestly enjoyed anyhow.

I heard it glows in the dark in IR if you wash it with fabric softener, is that true?
    Depending on the Laundry Detergent and/or Fabric Softener used it could cause you to stand out. To make colors appear "brighter" etc they had fluorescent/phosphorescent chemicals that adhere to your clothes and make the colors appear brighter. They stand out in certain lighting conditions so I assume IR would be one of them.

Deleted
    Why does the Navy even need its own uniform? Give them MTP, same as everyone else. They just crack their own anyway.. Blue shirt, sleeves up, White shirt, peak cap, blue jumper and white shirt, blue jumper and blue shirt, foulie, beret, baseball caps, ones, twos, coveralls, seriously, who the fuck in the Navy knows what to wear when they wake up in the morning? Do they just spin a roulette wheel?

MTP's ok, I'm keeping my PCS issue because it's thinner for range packages etc though..

Also, for those that think it's just the USA that can't sort its uniform out - the UK military is currently having a minor mutiny over MTP. It appears wearing a shirt untucked is so uncouth it threatens to annihilate discipline at an individual level thus rendering the British military unable to soldier. No, seriously, there's an almighty mud-fight at a senior and junior level over whether we should wear the new MTP top (read: JACKET) tucked in or out. Infanteers and people of a more practical persuasion at the sharp end all say "out".. Camp Commandos and chairborne warriors that take personal appearance in a desert rather seriously all say "in".. My money's on the fat-knacker REMFs.
    Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2012-06-25 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Why does the Navy even need its own uniform? Give them MTP, same as everyone else. They just crack their own anyway.. Blue shirt, sleeves up, White shirt, peak cap, blue jumper and white shirt, blue jumper and blue shirt, foulie, beret, baseball caps, ones, twos, coveralls, seriously, who the fuck in the Navy knows what to wear when they wake up in the morning? Do they just spin a roulette wheel?

MTP's ok, I'm keeping my PCS issue because it's thinner for range packages etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02WseVFBw8 Your comment made me think about this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02WseVFBw8 Your comment made me think about this.
    Nail. Head.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post

MTP's ok, I'm keeping my PCS issue because it's thinner for range packages etc though..

Also, for those that think it's just the USA that can't sort its uniform out - the UK military is currently having a minor mutiny over MTP. It appears wearing a shirt untucked is so uncouth it threatens to annihilate discipline at an individual level thus rendering the British military unable to soldier. No, seriously, there's an almighty mud-fight at a senior and junior level over whether we should wear the new MTP top (read: JACKET) tucked in or out. Infanteers and people of a more practical persuasion at the sharp end all say "out".. Camp Commandos and chairborne warriors that take personal appearance in a desert rather seriously all say "in".. My money's on the fat-knacker REMFs.
    Agreed, before joining the Army I served on submarines, I hated the naval uniform. The worst thing about it is having to change for meals, they hated scummy engineers making the mess look untidy in their overalls and steaming bats.

Fucking REMFs.....Don't get me started.