Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Recommended RTS games

Hello guys. After being a little bored of WoW I'm looking for some games to bide my time until MoP.
    Based on the title, my favorite genre is RTS and I'm looking for games that I might not have played, recommend some to me!

RTS games I've played lately:
    Total Annihilation
    All the C&C games
    Starcraft: BW and SC2
    Warcraft 3
    AoM and expansion
    Black and White 1+2
    Dawn of War Soulstorm
    Empire Earth 1
    Homeworld 1+2
    Stronghold 1+2
    Spellforce: Order of Dawn
    BFME 1+2

I know the list is extensive but any RTS outside of these games would be appreciated

Deleted
    World in Conflict might be worth a try for you then! Slightly outdated now though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Total war: shogun 2

I am also a big fan of RTS (and turn-based as well) games. One that is a mixed bag, but I love, is 'Sins of a Solar Empire'. It's not really good for any kind of campaign mode for story. It's just a large-scale, lower-speed, space RTS. You can easily throw tons of hours into it with a blink of the eye. They just came out with a new expansion for it called "Rebellion" which added some nice features to the game. It doesn't take long to pick up, and can definitely sink lots of time into it.

Also, if you aren't opposed to old school games, or turn-based, a personal favorite is playing "Fantasy General" by SSI on DosBox. It is very old school, but a great challenge and just some plain old fun.

Sins of a Solar Empire
    Dawn of War 2
    Supreme Commander 2
    Supreme Ruler Cold War

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Dawn of War 2
    Supreme Commander 2
    Supreme Ruler Cold War
    I was going to recommend Sins but that is a 4X RTS rather than a pure RTS! If you don't mind a 4x then get Civ/Anno 2070 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaarg View Post
    I was going to recommend Sins but that is a 4X RTS rather than a pure RTS! If you don't mind a 4x then get Civ/Anno 2070 :P
    Still an RTS. Did the op make the distinction of 'pure rts' ? No?

BTW Civ is turn based...

Deleted
    I've heard of Sins, is it similar to Homeworld if you ever played that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kejinx View Post
    I've heard of Sins, is it similar to Homeworld if you ever played that?
    Somewhat. Sins is of a larger scale though. Colonize planets and build fleets.

Civ isn't RTS. And just because something is 4X doesn't mean it would be RTS aswell. There's very clear distinction between 4X RTS and 4X TBS games.

In any case, you should check out Company of Heroes, a really good WW2 RTS with emphasis on smaller scale tactical combat and manouvers. It is heavy on atmoshpere, delivered in sharp top notch graphics, destructible enviroments and really ballsy soundworld. It also doesn't hurt to have that feel of old school Commando WW I&II comics from 60-70's onwards.

Really good game anyone who's a fan of RTS games should get.

Last edited by Wilian; 2012-07-17 at 02:50 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Company of Heroes
    Cossack Wars (Old/hard to find)
    The other Dawn of War games
    World in Conflict

Deleted
    Dawn of War 2 Retribution is a lot of fun, I think it is on sale right now on Steam.

Deleted
    SC2 on ladder. I know you listed SC2 but if you just played the single player you really should check out the multiplayer, its quite addictive.

10+ Year Old Account
    DoW2, AoE3, AoEO, CoH, Shogun Total War 2

---------- Post added 2012-07-17 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Dawn of War 2 Retribution is a lot of fun, I think it is on sale right now on Steam.
    It is but only 33% iirc, so it's better waiting until they put it up for 75% which I think they will do as they love to put 40k franchises on sale.

I see you have played Homeworld 1 & 2, but you don't mention Homeworld: Cataclysm, which was pretty good too.

If you liked Total Annihilation, then you should also like Supreme Commander 1, which is pretty similar (same producers I think). Supreme Commander 2 is different however.

Did you try Settlers 7? It's more dynamic than other games in the series, and more... "skirmish" oriented.

Majesty 2 has also some interesting features as well, you might wanna check it out.

I liked Anno 1404 very much as well, although it's more economy oriented.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I recommend Medieval Ii:Total War, for me the best sequel in Total War franchise, it also has billion of mods to chose from (Warhammer Fantasy, LotR, also mods that further polish and balance vanilla game), decent graphics and best loading times of all Total Wars (something really irritating from Empire and beyond). Company of Heroes is great too, with long awaited sequel to come out next year.

Age of Empires for sure!
    But tbh, I wanted to get some RTS game but couldn't find any that I liked.
    The only game that caught my eye for a very long time was AoW and that's not even RTS. Turn-based combat is where is at.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Company of Heroes and Age of Empires II / III

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn what's wrong with you people, only two people suggested AoE! Without a doubt AoE 2: Age of Kings & Conquerors is a must play for any RTS fanatic, AoE 3 didn't really interest me and neither does that online AoE, stear clear of that one.

Deleted
    Company of Heroes.
    World in Conflict.