Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A promissing indirect promise in terms of graphics

Was reading the system reqs. on the official pre-purchase page, and saw this:

"Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time, and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game."

How drastic do you think graphical changes could be in this game? I mean it already looks amazing at max settings.

I can't remember if it's possible to upgrade the DirectX version from 10 to 11 without heavily rewriting code in order to take advantage of 11's features, but besides from that, suggesting a system upgrade could mean some great things.

Also, promising only takes 1 s.
    Last edited by ThisWillNotStand; 2012-07-27 at 05:22 PM.

Pretty sure WoW's requirements are higher than release, and not many people would argue that game looks stunning. It's simply "future proofing" so to speak.

WoW (it's an example) looks different now than it did when it released. So does Tibia (what? no one's ever heard of Tibia? Darn it.). So does Runescape. They put that there so that 4 years from now when they upgrade the graphics they will get slightly less rage pointed at them due to a warning significantly in advance.

It just there for legal reasons so people don't sue them if their old computer can't run the version of the game 5 years in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    It just there for legal reasons so people don't sue them if their old computer can't run the version of the game 5 years in the future.
    I was thinking this as well, kind of a simple concept. The good ole' "Cover your ass" clause.

EVE is the only game I've played that has had drastic graphic overhauls over the years. That doesn't rule out smaller improvements though. Mostly it's probably CYA though.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Deleted
    As far as I remember the high res textures are not available yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    EVE is the only game I've played that has had drastic graphic overhauls over the years. That doesn't rule out smaller improvements though. Mostly it's probably CYA though.
    Ultima online had an even bigger overhaul, went from 2d to 3d to pseudo 3d back to 2d its all been very odd and made massive differences to system specs, luckily they ran both clients at the same time so people with dud computers could carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Pretty sure WoW's requirements are higher than release, and not many people would argue that game looks stunning. It's simply "future proofing" so to speak.
    What he said. A set requirements of what vanilla WoW was and MoP is. Is a staggering difference.
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

Runescape went from this,

To this,

Deleted
    I hope GW2 will have full DX11 support soon after release. It sure could some more polygons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrom View Post
    I hope GW2 will have full DX11 support soon after release. It sure could some more polygons.
    Well, last beta had amazing performance and an amazing graphic, with ultra setting 1080p working at 60fps even on wvw. Why the hell we need a choppy dx11 version?

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    WoW had its graphics engine improved with each extension. With Cata they even started using per-vertex lighting, yay (like 5 years after all other games)!

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chrom View Post
    Why do you thing that DX11 would mean more polygons? The tesselation feature is not an universal band-aid.

It won't be too drastic, just a future plan as the economy and server cpu power adjust.

Deleted
    Think about it... BF3, which was the last serious beta i played had all settings from low to ultra BUT yet the game couldn't set higher than medium anyway even if you had your settings at ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Well, last beta had amazing performance and an amazing graphic, with ultra setting 1080p working at 60fps even on wvw. Why the hell we need a choppy dx11 version?
    So you played WvW with ALL settings on Ultra and got 60fps? Me too! Staring at the ground, with no other players around. This sounds like a bit of a stretch.

And DX11 would only make the game run better on recent cards, not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiped View Post
    As far as I remember the high res textures are not available yet.
    This keeps coming up, and no one ever offers a Anet source. I've poured over the wiki, checked official and fan sites, no where have I seen Anet say high resolution textures are not available yet. Am I missing an obscure source somewhere?

They are enabling dx11 on release, the beta was only using dx9

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    Source? This is good if true.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    I would love a source, but have seen none.

Could you point me where I'm missing this from?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~